Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

* Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * (2806 Views)

Swear If You Never Did This: Why Then Beating Ur Kid For It? / The Wife Beating Campaign On Nairaland / Nigerian Lady Dies From Injuries Sustained From Beating By Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by cococandy(f): 9:40pm On Sep 24, 2014
Happened to my BIL just last 2 weeks. Where he went to pay for a shoe. The guys just called police that my BIL and his friend were present on an earlier occasion when they went to place the order for the shoe that he came to pay for at the later date.
And that on that earlier date,someone's phone got missing in the shop.
Meanwhile the owner of the missing phone didn't even go to the police or file a complaint.
Didn't even tell his parents about it.
Can you imagine?

When his mom was contacted,she said the boy had gone back to school.
Evil police people. Greedy oafs. If not that they knew who my FIL was when his name was mentioned,they would have kept him in their cell.
But they released him after 2hrs while begging like almajiris for drink money.
We gave them 5k.
Hungry mugus
Chillisauce:

They locked up my jobless neighbours brother once when he was going to look for a job. Police just arrived at the area, packaged every male around the vicinity on suspected robbery case. For two days they were looking for the poor guy .
He was later released after paying 15k. embarassed
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by AfricanApple(f): 9:46pm On Sep 24, 2014
crackhaus: I usually step away to put some distance between myself and a woman whose mouth starts running.

The problem however with this method lies in the fact that one can only walk away so many times until they're in a situation where they can't.
What are we to do then?

Take the case of a kid:
You're watching a movie on TV, this kid keeps going to the TV set to tap his hand on the screen.
You have warned him severally never to do that...sometimes you raised your voice and frowned your face, it worked..the child stepped back.
Unfortunately, another day the child does the same thing...but this time around, as he taps the screen, he keeps looking back at you aware that you're only going to raise your voice and frown.
He already expects the usual reaction, and because of the frequency of it, he has gotten quite used to it...hence, raising your voice and frowning doesn't work anymore.
Now one day you have had enough, he repeats the same thing...but this time, instead of just frowning and raising your voice, you get up, walk towards him and place a light slap (sufficient enough to cause pain but not enough to cause injury) on his cheek...you tell him that you have warned him severally to desist and that the slap is meant to teach him obedience.
The boy is stunned!
He is both surprised and hurt, he cries and tries to get you to pet him...but you don't. Today you're willing to listen to his cries. If there's someone else in the house, the kid turns to them to get sympathy since you're not moved.

You have effectively associated tapping the TV screen to receiving a painful slap on the cheek...only a terribly stubborn child would repeat that stuff in your presence another day.

Sorry for the long post, I intended passing a point and I believe I have.
Some ladies are going to critic my post using the old line, "a full grown woman is not a child that should be slapped."
Well, throwing tantrums and insults around is more of a child's behaviour than it is an adults'.

Okay some may not critic it again cos I've said so, but they'll definitely think it.. grin
it doesn't matter if u said it(last sentence) I will still talk my mind.

how could you compare an adult u married to a child whose sense has not fully grown or matured
if I get u well, what u are saying is if d wife is stubborn, he should caution her in a painful way but not injurious way.

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by crackhaus: 10:01pm On Sep 24, 2014
AfricanApple: it doesn't matter if u said it(last sentence) I will still talk my mind.

how could you compare an adult u married to a child whose sense has not fully grown or matured
if I get u well, what u are saying is if d wife is stubborn, he should caution her in a painful way but not injurious way.
I think that maybe by negligent omission or selective reading, you probably missed this bit which is right before the 'last sentence' you angled from:
Well, throwing tantrums and insults around is more of a child's behaviour than it is an adults'.

Do you or do you not agree with this?
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 24, 2014
coogar:

and this is one of the reasons i think nigeria is the best country in the world. don't you find going to the work in the morning & returning in the evening sometimes boring & monotonous?

i think i prefer waking up & not be really sure i will be returning home more exciting. there's a thrill to that & nigeria gives you that everyday of the week.
Ha ha. You never jam. Have you evr been held in a Nigerian police cell for any length of time. My broda if you dey find adventure, just refuse to pay conductor him money after work at least there's still hope of retaining some of your sanity and freedom after the inevitable rough-handling.
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by AfricanApple(f): 11:20pm On Sep 24, 2014
crackhaus:
I think that maybe by negligent omission or selective reading, you probably missed this bit which is right before the 'last sentence' you angled from:

Do you or do you not agree with this?
nahhh, u got me wrong, I was only saying I will still criticize your write up despite u already said 'some may not critic it again cos I've said so' I just didn't want to repeat d statement

while I agree that throwing insults is Immatured, some do that when their anger has full to the brim and have lost total control. but then why beat in d name of caution. how will u even feel touching your wife, there are other matured ways u can handle her insults other than beating.
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Sepp360(m): 11:43pm On Sep 24, 2014
Chillisauce:

How u carry know?
lolz!... "I'm Seeing Tins"... *singing*
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Sepp360(m): 11:46pm On Sep 24, 2014
mentorandfriend: Op, if I was there that day you laid your hand on that girl, I would have dealt with your idiotic head. Guys for whatever reason that exhibit violent acts to women must really be mad. At our estate sometime ago, I met a guy slapping her girlfriend front and back for not picking his calls the previous day. It was a lonely night. Nobody was in sight. The girl was helpless. I weighed up the guy and told him I'd like to have a word with him. I took him to a corner and taught him discipline. I told the girl to go home to her parents. Beating a lady (your girlfriend, wife or even sister) for any reason at all is the highest form of cowardice.
lolz!... I'm sorry bro... I was just 15 then. I've learnt my lessons now!

2 Likes

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by crackhaus: 11:25am On Sep 25, 2014
AfricanApple: nahhh, u got me wrong, I was only saying I will still criticize your write up despite u already said 'some may not critic it again cos I've said so' I just didn't want to repeat d statement

while I agree that throwing insults is Immatured, some do that when their anger has full to the brim and have lost total control. but then why beat in d name of caution. how will u even feel touching your wife, there are other matured ways u can handle her insults other than beating.
First off, I didn't mention anything like beating as a form of caution...read my first post again.

As for the emboldened, so it is understandable when someone is controlled by their anger, loses total control and throws insults...but a person who loses control and because of anger slaps another person for throwing insults is to be viewed as animalistic and immature?

Is the scale of measurement for immaturity in men different from the scale of measurement for immaturity in women?
Is self-control a quality only men should possess?
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by cococandy(f): 1:31pm On Sep 25, 2014
crackhaus: Is self-control a quality only men should possess?
No
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by crackhaus: 2:06pm On Sep 25, 2014
cococandy:
No
Indeed.

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Shirley07: 2:57pm On Sep 25, 2014
crackhaus:
First off, I didn't mention anything like beating as a form of caution...read my first post again.

As for the emboldened, so it is understandable when someone is controlled by their anger, loses total control and throws insults...but a person who loses control and because of anger slaps another person for throwing insults is to be viewed as animalistic and immature?

Is the scale of measurement for immaturity in men different from the scale of measurement for immaturity in women?
You mean if a hefty man/colleague of yours berate and insult you, the next thing you would do is to lash him?
The truth is women beaters are cowards who act like mice when their fellow men are involved in the same scenario. If you want to flex your muscle, flex it with your fellow man.

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by crackhaus: 3:12pm On Sep 25, 2014
Shirley07:
You mean if a hefty man/colleague of yours berate and insult you, the next thing you would do is to lash him?
The truth is women beaters are cowards who act like mice when their fellow men are involved in the same scenario. If you want to flex your muscle, flex it with your fellow man.
I've heard read you undecided
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by 5minsmadness: 3:52pm On Sep 25, 2014
jacabi: Whatsoever might be the reason, any man that beats his wife is a lunatic.
You cannot just make a sweeping statement like this. It holds no truth whatsoever. Stop ignoring the issue and address it.

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by 5minsmadness: 3:54pm On Sep 25, 2014
While we're preaching against physical abuse on women in whatever form or intensity, we should also admonish wives to refrain from antagonizing/pushing their husbands past his emotional threshold...there's only so much a person can take no matter the level of self-control they claim to possess.
It takes just the right amount of built up feelings, anxiety, anger, and the wrong scenario to get anyone to react in a way that even surprises themselves
Point.
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by 5minsmadness: 3:58pm On Sep 25, 2014
cococandy: Yes I'm going to criticize it. angry tongue

But seriously you can [size=15pt]divorce[/size] your wife for emotional abuse.

If she keeps saying hurtful things and doesn't seem to know when to stop.call her on days when both you are very much lovey dovey and TELL her how her words make you feel.

To me this can work better than hitting. Hitting may even dreg up worse words than the ones she provoked you with. Because that's the only way she knows how to fight back.
What are you going to do? Keep hitting until she stops? Like she will.

I won't blame a man who opts for temporary seperation from a wife who's always insulting and mean mouthed.it'll surely teach what she stands to lose if she keeps running her mouth.

You too like divorce, haba!

The truth (whether the white man likes it or not) is that some women are just plain stubborn and a well placed and memorable SLAP restores them to default settings faster than 5 long years of fruitless dialogue during which time you would have invested and lost so much physically, financially and emotionally.

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by 5minsmadness: 4:02pm On Sep 25, 2014
JEITO: Age is not maturity, any man that hits his wife for any reason, is immature and not ripe for marriage.

A disgrace to Manhood I must say.
BullshIT.
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by 5minsmadness: 4:04pm On Sep 25, 2014
jacabi:
I don't mind. What I hate most, seing between couples is husband beating his wife. Another thing is, after going up and down in the kitchen to prepare what the man will eat, just because of little misunderstanding, the man refuses to eat. In fact if I were God I would hinder some men from getting married. I don't just like it when women are being maltreated.
You are obviously a woman.
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by cococandy(f): 4:06pm On Sep 25, 2014
Lmao. I don't like it.

But I just like to be practical oh jare. Would you rather go to jail for violent assault?
She'll still leave before you finish your sentence..

You haven't met women who when you slap them will clutch the front of your shirt screaming 'you'll kill me today'
You'll kill ne today
Hehehe. cheesy cheesy

Just pray for a peaceful woman.
There's no managing an abusive partner.
Whether physical and emotional abuse. Those kind of people need help and if you're not a psychiatrist,it's not your job to try to cure them.

Hence when it comes to abuse of any kind,the D word is not always far from my mouth.
5minsmadness:

The truth (whether the white man likes it or not) is that some women are just plain stubborn and a well placed and memorable SLAP restores them to default settings faster than 5 long years of fruitless dialogue during which time you would have invested and lost so much physically, financially and emotionally.

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by 5minsmadness: 4:09pm On Sep 25, 2014
cococandy: Well...

It's not really black and white.

Saying a man can't be pushed to react will be me lying to myself.

But there's a risk in saying it is understandable.it opens doors for all kinds of misunderstandings about the acceptability of violence.

So to get rid of it or at least to attempt to get rid of it,we must always be clear that we chose not to understand it.
Understanding can lead to acceptance.

That we don't want
Not understanding the reason for the violence in the first place is like pretending the problem does not exist. Look for what provokes the men and curb it and the violence will reduce. We will now know that those who remain are the serial batterers and psychopaths.
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by 5minsmadness: 4:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
AfricanApple: nahhh, u got me wrong, I was only saying I will still criticize your write up despite u already said 'some may not critic it again cos I've said so' I just didn't want to repeat d statement

For example?
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by cococandy(f): 4:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
5minsmadness:
Not understanding the reason for the violence in the first place is like pretending the problem does not exist. Look for what provokes the men and curb it and the violence will reduce. We will now know that those who remain are the serial batterers and psychopaths.
Curb what?
The way women talk to their husbands?
But I've already told you it is a recognized offense for which you can be granted a seperation or divorce. It is very legal.

How else do you wish to curb it? Apart from teaching your kids right,there's not much anyone can do about how mannerlessly others speak.

One can't be sent to jail for mouthing off at another person duh! Unless it is a racist or homophobic slur for which they only get to pay a fine.

The best is to get away from that person if you can't bear it. Permanently too if they refuse to change
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by 5minsmadness: 4:18pm On Sep 25, 2014
crackhaus:

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by 5minsmadness: 4:21pm On Sep 25, 2014
cococandy:
Curb what?
The way women talk to their husbands?
But I've already told you it is a recognized offense for which you can be granted a seperation or divorce. It is very legal.

How else do you wish to curb it? Apart from teaching your kids right,there's not much anyone can do about how mannerlessly others speak.

One can't be sent to jail for mouthing off at another person duh! Unless it is a racist or homophobic slur for which they only get to pay a fine.

The best is to get away from that person if you can't bear it. Permanently too if they refuse to change
I posted the statement before reading your response. Sorry, o jare.
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by cococandy(f): 4:22pm On Sep 25, 2014
No wahala
5minsmadness:
I posted the statement before reading your response. Sorry, o jare.

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by 5minsmadness: 4:32pm On Sep 25, 2014
This issue of woman/wife battering is always coming up and always ends with those who have been guilty of such acts being chased away by statements like these:

Age is not maturity, any man that hits his wife for any reason, is immature and not ripe for marriage.

A disgrace to Manhood I must say

Whatsoever might be the reason, any man that beats his wife is a lunatic

Next thing the thread ends with hurling insults at abusive men without addressing the issue itself. This one is probably going to end the same way.

Serial battering is bad/evil/lunacy, yes, alright we get it! It would be better if we addressed the issue of what would provoke a previously sane and reasonable man to the extent of him lashing out at the wife, then we would have taken a step forward.

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by JEITO: 4:55pm On Sep 25, 2014
5minsmadness:
BullshIT.
I take then that you are in support of wife battery

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Chubhie: 4:55pm On Sep 25, 2014
I do keep a mindset never to hit a lady. I have sisters I love and always protect them. I see them as beings that needs protection. I used to tell my babe then I can't hit no lady. She's well built yet curvy n sexy. I call her okorin meta. My body was deliberately configured to lift stuffs twice my weight. Some people have a way of making your most cherished values look silly if you don't oblige them. So it happened I was caught with d option of walking away when tempers got flared but walking in this case entails cowardice so I had to pull a belt and give her some flogging like a father to a spoilt child. Yes I over did it but then something happened! She was begging n our eyes me with d tears in her eyes something snapped. Lord knows I love her and it wasn't intentional. We still had make up sex that night but the crack of the beating became a wall of china in the long run till we parted. Now, have grown to understand that anyone that can push you to anger has power over you so have learnt never to give any mortal such powers over me. Talk of the only regret I have in life tis hitting a lady. Tis not in my nature and I'm not proud of it.

4 Likes

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by 5minsmadness: 5:28pm On Sep 25, 2014
JEITO: I take then that you are in support of wife battery

Definitely not but making this statement:
any man that hits his wife for any reason, is immature and not ripe for marriage.

Is overgeneralization, and prevents any further discussion on the matter.It is also grossly untrue.
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Sepp360(m): 5:30pm On Sep 25, 2014
5minsmadness:

hahahaha!... Ur post got me laughing... Taking my time to imagine the conformation of the SLAP.
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by JEITO: 5:45pm On Sep 25, 2014
5minsmadness:

Definitely not but making this statement:

Is overgeneralization, and prevents any further discussion on the matter.It is also grossly untrue.
well, I read what you said previously about how to correct a lady. I don't agree with ur assertion.

For a man to beat his wife, it is clear he doesn't know the role of a wife in his life and home.

Also, it shows that he has issues with self control and temper management.

Btw, no one over generalised anything. The comment was specific.

2 Likes

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Sepp360(m): 6:02pm On Sep 25, 2014
5minsmadness:
very sensible!...

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by AfricanApple(f): 6:23pm On Sep 25, 2014
5minsmadness:
For example?
walk away and come back when everything has cool down, talk with her. two wrongs never make a right

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Check Out How Modern Marriages Will Look Like.. So Funny ;d / Is It Advisable For A Man To Sleep In His Inlaw's House / Do You Have Any Uncle Or Aunt Younger Than You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.