Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? (2306 Views)

Video & Pictures Of Obama Crying As He Thanks His Campaign Staff / Femi Fani-Kayode Labels Obama as Anti-Christ / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by samix(m): 3:41am On Nov 06, 2008
I think they hate the fact that a black man is the president of US or rather number one president in the world.
Please nairalanders lets share our views on this
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by DisGuy: 5:28am On Nov 06, 2008
Why do you think so?
What i think is that the people got bored as they are obviously not used to the
money,time and coverage involved in this election or
should i say the american election as usual
it was like forever!!! elections in the UK are usually short compared to
the american election, the debates blah blah and to be honest the
british media made a meal of it, if anything they supported Obama all the way!!
Even Gordon Brown made a slip when he wrote about Obama's progressive ideas. . .
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by tpia: 6:08am On Nov 06, 2008
actually, people did get rather bored after a while.

as per the original question: obama couldnt have been elected without UK approval.
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by JamaicanQT(f): 6:15am On Nov 06, 2008
im pretty sure that they hate that BLACK PERSON is president, we all know how the rich and famous white circle are total snub and racist, im sure that country like germany and russia must hate obama
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by Jakumo(m): 6:18am On Nov 06, 2008
It is ironic that while overt racism is far less prevalent in the British society than in the US, a black or Asian politician hoping to duplicate Obama's feat in England would not stand a snowball's chance in hell of rising to the post of prime minister, at least for the forseeable future that will unfold in our lifetimes.

Regarding the Obama presidency, there is absolutely no question that UK-US relations will remain as close and cooperative as they have ever been in the past.
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by samix(m): 8:50am On Nov 06, 2008
JamaicanQT:

I'm pretty sure that they hate that BLACK PERSON is president, we all know how the rich and famous white circle are total snub and racist, I'm sure that country like germany and russia must hate obama

well said, racism is far more prevalent in the UK more than in US.

tpia:

actually, people did get rather bored after a while.

as per the original question: obama couldnt have been elected without UK approval.

To be candid with you, Obama won the election because majority of the americans crave for change.
Do you know that cameron of the tories said this is not time for a novice? Who was he referring to? Obama of course.
If UK was a determinant factor in the election, they would have preferred mccain.

Dis Guy:

Why do you think so?
What i think is that the people got bored as they are obviously not used to the
money,time and coverage involved in this election or
should i say the american election as usual
it was like forever!!! elections in the UK are usually short compared to
the american election, the debates blah blah and to be honest the
british media made a meal of it, if anything they supported Obama all the way!!
Even Gordon Brown made a slip when he wrote about Obama's progressive ideas. . .

Election in UK is far boring compared to US. Gordon Brown just does not have a choice and that the british system.
Do you think tony blair really liked w. bush? if u think so then juz get the autobiography of cherie blair u will get to understand the british government
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by DisGuy: 8:58am On Nov 06, 2008
samix:

To be candid with you, Obama won the election because majority of the americans crave for change.
Do you know that cameron of the tories said this is not time for a novice? Who was he referring to? Obama of course.[/b]If UK was a determinant factor in the election, they would have preferred mccain.

[b]Election in UK is far boring compared to US
. Gordon Brown just does not have a choice and [b]that the british system.[/b]Do you think tony blair really liked w. bush? if u think so then juz get the autobiography of cherie blair u will get to understand the british government

Gordon Brown made the statement-considering the state of the global economy- at the labour convention refering to David cameron
remember he was the exchequer* for about 10years

UK is different from the US no razzmatazz no wasteful spendings with these highly cynicals citizens,
like you rightly mentioned the british system not the american system no copycat plain old traditions
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by KnowAll(m): 11:44am On Nov 06, 2008
All Europeans love Obama, the only people who hate Obama are soutern whites in America and some from some western states in America. As per Britain both Gordon Brown and Cameron love Obama.
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by texazzpete(m): 11:50am On Nov 06, 2008
What a paranoid bunch you lot are!

samix:

I think they hate the fact that a black man is the president of US or rather number one president in the world.
Please nairalanders lets share our views on this

How did the fact that all the European countries polled (with the exception of Georgia) overwhelmingly wanted Obama to win escape your notice? Or the 200000 strong crowd he pulled in Germany?
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by Gamine(f): 12:13pm On Nov 06, 2008
Who is UK?
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by Nigeria4: 1:00pm On Nov 06, 2008
I can't answer that question, but what I know from Nigerian who have lived in Europe, I get it from them , I may be wrong that they do not like black people.  Europe is behind ,

The US is abit different. You can find black people holding major position. It is not the same in other countries. They do not allow black people to get to those position even if they are born in that country.  You could read on the internet and you even find them trying to kick people out because of the colour of their skin.

Even in the US you still find it but it is limited to rural south I was told. The best part of the US to live in for a black person is the North east of the US.   Mississippi have about 39 % of black,lousiana, Alabama have 37, 31 % black.  I find white America easy to deal with. may because I live among white people. i don't know.

there are more black living in the capital  DC than there is white. So obama won feel at home.  I have been to DC administrative office. Nearly 80% of the workers are black. it is not too far from the white house, you can even walk from the whitehouse to the place.  Only of the major church not too far from Obama is Jesus house DC. And I can tell you, that Obama would visit there very soon.
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by ilaugh1: 1:02pm On Nov 06, 2008
of course - dont you know they are foolish racists?
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by Nigeria4: 1:21pm On Nov 06, 2008
racists?  The US as less racism than any white dominated country.  Go to Europe and see.
 I know it is there, but racism is an issue of the heart. I deal with it everyday. When I got here many year ago, when I notice it, I use to be upset, but now I don't care. I just get to know the person better. Take his phone number and try to make friends with him or her.  You know what I start discussing something very complex with them, something I know they would never understand, like an engineering thoery. Before I know it, he want to be a friend.  I discovered , it is an issue of exposure. When a white person is not used to black people, they tend to be among their own. 
But if the white person living in the city, they do not care for the colour of your skin. they care for money.  look at the way the vote for obama is. White who are living  in cities voted majority for obama. But rural america, Obama had less vote and did not carry the state. Obama won 80% of all major cities in the US.

The only major state Obama did not carry is Texas. If George bush was not from Texas, Obama would win. like we say in Nigeria, Bush is the son of the soil.  White who live among black people tend not to judge you based on the colour of your skin. While white who live among white only area. Tend to be afraid of black people.

That why we make sure our children are going to a majority white school. So that they overcome this feeling. it is a feeling of the mind.
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by Janeesa: 9:16pm On Nov 06, 2008
who cares if the UK doesnt like it??. Americans could care LESS about what the UK thinks,what Nigeria thinks or what Canada thinks or what the rest of the WORLD thinks for that matter!!
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by Glite(f): 9:55pm On Nov 06, 2008
Here is an account of a British journalist of the mood in UK yesterday in the place which matters most

I am enjoying this moment of joy and hope. But most of all I am enjoying the jostling of European politicians to be his new best friend.

I was very impressed by our own Prime Minister this morning who appeared on TV looking like he had slept rough on a belly full of whiskey. There couldn't have been a bigger contrast between the glamour, excitement and optimism of Obama's speech and the sight of our Gordon in a creased suit with that great gawping jaw hanging open. I almost expected him to cry "See you Jimmy!" and nut the cameraman.

I am also running a book today on how many times David Cameron can say the word "change". He is trying to equate himself with Obama on the grounds that they both represent "Change".

But there's good change and bad change. Example: A man trades his car in for a new BMW. Meanwhile his neighbour drives his car into a lamp-post. Both men have changed their car.

Change isn't always good. Just because our neighbours got an upgrade, doesn't mean we want a car crash.

As for scruffy Gordon, the only change he wants is 10p for a cup of tea.

UK is going down with Bush. That pathetic country is going to suffer the worst economic disaster that it has ever seen in 50 years within the next four years. It is the sinking TITANIC , if you have relatives there tell them to get their arses out before it's too late for them grin
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by AngieFan(f): 10:08pm On Nov 06, 2008
Glite:

UK is going down with Bush. That pathetic country is going to suffer the worst economic disaster that it has ever seen in 50 years within the next four years. It is the sinking TITANIC , if you have relatives there tell them to get their arses out before it's too late for them grin

Stupid bltch! How dare you utter such hateful words about my country? How would you like it if I said that about Nigeria? I give you back all you said and hope it comes to pass in your own country!
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by AngieFan(f): 10:15pm On Nov 06, 2008
Nigeria1//:

racists?  The US as less racism than any white dominated country.  Go to Europe and see.
 I know it is there, but racism is an issue of the heart. I deal with it everyday. When I got here many year ago, when I notice it, I use to be upset, but now I don't care. I just get to know the person better. Take his phone number and try to make friends with him or her.  You know what I start discussing something very complex with them, something I know they would never understand, like an engineering thoery. Before I know it, he want to be a friend.  I discovered , it is an issue of exposure. When a white person is not used to black people, they tend to be among their own. 
But if the white person living in the city, they do not care for the colour of your skin. they care for money.  look at the way the vote for obama is. White who are living  in cities voted majority for obama. But rural america, Obama had less vote and did not carry the state. Obama won 80% of all major cities in the US.

The only major state Obama did not carry is Texas. If George bush was not from Texas, Obama would win. like we say in Nigeria, Bush is the son of the soil.  White who live among black people tend not to judge you based on the colour of your skin. While white who live among white only area. Tend to be afraid of black people.

That why we make sure our children are going to a majority white school. So that they overcome this feeling. it is a feeling of the mind.

You know nothing of what you speak! The USA is still one of the most racist countries in the world. Black people in that country have been trodden and stamped over the years and I still doubt that real descendants of slaves could still manage to overcome the psychological damage over centuries pass to overcome it to reach where Obama, the son of an immigrant has managed to do.

Oh yes and the UK as well as the rest of the world is very happy about this result. McCain would have been a disaster!
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by Glite(f): 10:31pm On Nov 06, 2008
AngieFan:

Stupid bltch! How dare you utter such hateful words about my country? How would you like it if I said that about Nigeria? I give you back all you said and hope it comes to pass in your own country!
ok you can be british dead if you like , ehn you can even fly union jack in the grave if you like but that doesn't change the fact . even the high street betting shops are not accepting bets on UK anymore . it's a certain loss grin
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by Nigeria4: 10:33pm On Nov 06, 2008
I understand. But the truth is Africa immigrate do not feel inferior to a white person because some of us have been managers and hold top position in our countries before coming. We have seen black people own billions in dollar from our countries . so we have the mental framework to think success, but africa american do not have that. They sometime feel inferior and lay claim to slavery.

You see when i came here i use to be around too many black people. You do not get information from them. they even hide information from you. IF you want to have success in north america. make white people your friend. They have access to more information and sometime are well connected. I notice black people tend to have negative mind set and look for ways to pull you down. So i just stay away from them. I have a principle, if you pull me down and destroy my life what good are you too me.

I have had bad white people in my life too, but i can tell you , i have had many many good one.   Evil people is not a issue of the colour of skin or ethnics group but what is in your heart. It is like a story of bad in law or good one. ? Will you say since you have had of story of bad in law. You would get married. No,

There are good white , just open your heart, and see everybody for who they are.
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by AngieFan(f): 11:13pm On Nov 06, 2008
Glite:

ok you can be british dead if you like , ehn you can even fly union jack in the grave if you like but that doesn't change the fact . even the high street betting shops are not accepting bets on UK anymore . it's a certain loss grin

As I said, you are a grade A obnoxious b!Tch! Whatever you wish for the UK will come to fore in your own backyard. I can't the believe the level of hate on here. People like you will proudly claim that you are from the greatest black nation, one that is so steeped in religion but at the same time spew so much bitterness and hate about a whole country of people. What's the matter? refused a UK visa?

@Nigeria1//

I understand totally. Even though Obama was born in America, he spend a considerable amount of time living in Indonesia and travelling, at one point going to Africa to see his later father when he was 10. He also has quite a multi-cultural family too. His Kenyan step-mother lives in England and he also has a step-sister in London, married to an Englishman. Then there is another step-brother married to a Chinese lady and in Beijing.

It is clear that Obama did not grow up in the same vein as the Black Americans did and maybe this is what helped him to be so confident, to look his oppressors in the face and take all they said about him on the chin. He took what that God given birthright that all the other Black Americans have but are afraid to use and went all the way to top despite the naysayers telling him that he wasn't one of them.

But America is still a very racist country and right now we should all be praying that we don't see a repeat of JFK II. I saw nothing but pure hatred on the faces of the McCain supporters during his concession speech and lets not forget that there was a foiled assassination plot just a week or so ago. The skinheads behind that were only indicted today.
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by Tonim(f): 11:45pm On Nov 06, 2008
Nigeria1//:

I understand. But the truth is Africa immigrate do not feel inferior to a white person because some of us have been managers and hold top position in our countries before coming. We have seen black people own billions in dollar from our countries . so we have the mental framework to think success, but africa american do not have that. They sometime feel inferior and lay claim to slavery.

You see when i came here i use to be around too many black people. You do not get information from them. they even hide information from you. IF you want to have success in north america. make white people your friend. They have access to more information and sometime are well connected. I notice black people tend to have negative mind set and look for ways to pull you down. So i just stay away from them. I have a principle, if you pull me up and be useful too my life what good are you too me.

I have had bad white people in my life too, but i can tell you , i have had many many good one
. Evil people is not a issue of the colour of skin or ethnics group but what is in your heart. It is like a story of bad in law or good one. ? Will you say since you have had of story of bad in law. You would get married. No,

There are good white , just open your heart, and see everybody for who they are.

Nigeria1,

this is perhaps the best post I have read from you on this forum.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the portions I have in bold. Very well said wink
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by Nigeria4: 12:09am On Nov 07, 2008
I have a principle, if you pull me down and destroy  my life what good are you too me.

that what I wrote. it was modified. .

Obama lived with his white grandmother. So he never need to hide under slavery or use it as excuse. Even the story I am telling you happened among, Those who claim they were born again. but live deciet lifes.
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by Nigeria4: 12:50am On Nov 07, 2008
africa america complain too much about slavery, they can not continue to think of the past and move toward the future.

They need to look forward and never look back. The past may be painful but thinking of the future can only bring joy.
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by DeepZone: 4:51am On Nov 07, 2008
Who cares? Obama would have won no matter what UK and the rest of Europe thinks. This election was won internally.
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:53am On Nov 07, 2008
Nigeria1//:

africa america complain too much about slavery, they can not continue to think of the past and move toward the future.

They need to look forward and never look back. The past may be painful but thinking of the future can only bring joy.

Hmmm, maybe the whole continent of Africa should also try this approach Easier said than done!
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by tpia: 5:24am On Nov 07, 2008
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by DisGuy: 8:43am On Nov 07, 2008
na wa o why is Glite so obsessed about the UK
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by Horus(m): 10:37am On Nov 07, 2008
Obama 'brings hope of black Prime Minister

Victory for Barack Obama in US presidential election could bring forward the prospect of a black British Prime Minister by decades, it has been suggested.
Senator Obama's historic campaign has already sent a powerful charge through the UK's ethnic minority communities, said Simon Woolley, the director of Operation Black Vote.
And the reality of a black President in the White House would do even more to convince youngsters from ethnic minority backgrounds that there should be no ceiling on their political ambitions.
"We are calling it the Barack Obama Generation of young would-be politicians who are coming through from the community, and especially from the churches," said Mr Woolley. "If any of them can come through, I think we will see a black Prime Minister within 25 years.
"There's no doubt that it will happen eventually, and I think that Obama's presidential candidacy - and hopefully his victory - will bring it forward."
It is quite likely that Britain will have a minority PM before the proportions of MPs at Westminster finally match the ethnic make-up of the country, which at present trends will not happen for 75 years, said Mr Woolley.

"In spite of all the obstacles, there is still room for a special individual to come through," he said.
But he suggested that Britain still lags behind the USA in its acceptance of black figures at the highest levels of politics.
"Sadly, I don't think the British electorate, in some quarters, are yet ready to accept somebody from an ethnic minority as Prime Minister," he said.
Mr Woolley named Labour's higher education minister David Lammy and Tory science spokesman Adam Afriyie, as well as prospective parliamentary candidates Chuka Umunna (Labour, Streatham) and Helen Grant (Conservative, Maidstone and the Weald), as politicians who might have the talent to break through to become the first black PM.
But he added that the first black politician to claim the top job may equally well now be an unknown teenager inspired by the example of Mr Obama to dare to dream of a career leading all the way to 10 Downing Street.
"Here, as in America, there is a deluge of talent out there and we have been asking black talent to come out of the shadows and put themselves forward and aim high," said Mr Woolley.
"That has been the problem in the past. At the very least, Obama has taught us that we can aim for the very highest office. In the past, our own lack of self-confidence and the barriers have meant we have settled for second best.
"The greatest benefit of the Obama campaign is the excitement it has generated in the community. Never before in my lifetime has there been such excitement from young black Britons wanting to get involved in politics and to serve the community. This comes from the Barack Obama experience."
For a black candidate to rise to the top of British politics in current circumstances would require an individual of exceptional talent and appeal on the scale of Senator Obama to overcome barriers which do not stand in the way of their white rivals, said Mr Woolley.
"Those barriers are at every level, particularly in the selection process," he said. "The party structures tend to select people like themselves, so it is doubly difficult to break the mould. In the States, anyone can put themselves up and if they've got the support they can be President.
"Hopefully, Obama's candidacy will in some respects embarrass the political parties into doing more. Clearly they are not doing enough."

Source: http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=10667614&imageindex=7
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by JustGood(m): 10:42am On Nov 07, 2008
The US should just keep marching on irrespective of what Britain or anyone thinks of a 'black' American President.

By the way, Obama would never have stood a chance if he was to try that in present day Britain. Britain is not yet at that kind of level.
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by dnex(m): 12:26pm On Nov 07, 2008
no they're absolutely not.
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by nomanicole(f): 2:01pm On Nov 07, 2008
who cares??
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by Tats(m): 5:36pm On Nov 08, 2008
AngieFan:

As I said, you are a grade A obnoxious b!Tch! Whatever you wish for the UK will come to fore in your own backyard. I can't the believe the level of hate on here. People like you will proudly claim that you are from the greatest black nation, one that is so steeped in religion but at the same time spew so much bitterness and hate about a whole country of people. What's the matter? refused a UK visa?

@AngieFan,

Glite may not be from Nigeria just like you probably are not Nigerian and posting messages on this board. So it may be better if you held back some of those unpleasant words about Nigeria or Nigerians in response to Glite's posts.

Back to the main topic of the post, I have not had the feeling here in London that The UK people are not happy about Obama. This is from hearing people talk about him and reading the papers.

If you see and have access to the link http://www.economist.com/vote2008/ , you would see that UK subscribers to The Economist magazine who are mostly corporate and business individuals leaned strongly to Obama (90%) to McCain's 10%. You can also see how the rest of the world leaned towards the candidates. It was largely in favour of Obama.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Russian President, Vladimir Putin Snubs His Presidential Motorcade / Trump Orders Removal Of Islamic Symbols, Practices In The White House / Uhuru Kenyatta Appears At Icc In The Hague?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.