Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,609 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists (3521 Views)

13 Questions For Feminists / Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson / false reasons why some people believe feminists hate men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Misogynist2014(m): 1:05pm On Sep 27, 2014
Dear Emma Watson,
I was not raised a celebrity. I can say that my life has been very different from yours. I am a woman living in America. I have not attended a fine university like Brown, as you did. I have known abuse, I have been molested. I have known hardship and depression. But there is something you should know. I don’t need feminism.
Maybe you can’t understand why this might be so. How someone like me, who has in the past been suicidal and faced such turmoil, could say that I do not need something that is supposed to help the whole world.
I want you to know that I am neither religious nor someone politically conservative, and I say this because many have accused me of this stance for merely disagreeing with feminism. Your idea of feminism is certainly beautiful, but it is not the reality of the women’s movement today, nor was it the reality of the past.
That is what saddens me. When I was younger, I got it into my head that I needed to be strong and empowered and eventually I got there, but when I finally met other feminists I did not see a group of strong, self-reliant women in front of me. I saw women who wanted others to do the work for them.
They did not understand that empowerment is something that only you can bring to yourself. People can talk all day about women doing great things. People can give them thousands of dollars of grant money, but it all means nothing if these women won’t do the work themselves. Therein lies the problem of feminist ideology. It preaches that we must empower women but never asks women to empower themselves or demands that they become capable and self-reliant.
I don’t think that many in the West disagree that women are deserving of all the rights and privileges of men. The truth is far more sinister. I don’t often hear, by any stretch of the imagination, that men say that women don’t deserve these things. The majority of people I hear saying that women are oppressed are feminists.
I don’t see it in the actions of men in the population, save for that percentage who engages in violent crime. There will always be mean-spirited people. There will always be some people who commit violent acts against their fellow humans—and that is not gendered. Feminism cannot fix these things.
You cannot fix the portion of humanity who does not care about others and whether people are harmed. They are not people who can be persuaded.
The reason that women detach themselves from the label of feminist has nothing to do with the idea of women’s rights being radical. It isn’t, it makes logical sense. The problem lies with the actions of feminists and their actions going beyond achieving the privileges men have. There are man-hating feminists, and the narrative that men can stop things like sexual assault is what starts it.
When you say that men can stop sexual assault on their own, you are imagining men as one big group who congregates and is able to stop the sociopathic individuals who prey on others. Sexual assault is not a mistake or a lapse in judgment. It is not something learned or taught to rapists by society. It is instead a rejection of society. It persists in spite of those who preach equal treatment.
This narrative erases victims of female predators who operate like male sexual predators and exist in greater numbers than you would expect. The problem is that because feminism preaches that men are the abusers who can stop rape, it erases men and women who are victimized by women. Even worse, these women do not face jail time equal to that of their male counterparts. That is not equal treatment and that is not justice.
Painting women as victims does not help them to be seen as the equals of men. It makes them appear weak, which is contrary to what feminism says it wants to accomplish. Because of that, you have female predators out of jail after only a few months, ready to prey on their next victim.
This is not the story that modern feminism wishes to tell. It is not the story that it wishes to acknowledge. It won’t mention women in “oppressed” countries rising to the occasion in spite of everything. It won’t mention that women in these “oppressed” countries enter STEM fields in greater number than those of the West or that many of them are strong in their own right. Feminism didn’t make them so.
Instead, feminism preaches, “Look at those women, they are victims, we have to get men to save them.” Is that not the worst thing you could do? Are you not continuing gender stereotypes by assuming that men need to empower women? Is it not harmful to tell a woman that she is not strong enough on her own, and that she needs all these other women to empower her?
Women won’t identify as feminists because the women within feminism rely so much on the sisterhood that they do not pursue self-reliance. These women do not heal when they’ve been victimized because the sisterhood tells them that it’s fine to live as a perpetual victim instead of a survivor.

3 Likes

Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Misogynist2014(m): 1:08pm On Sep 27, 2014
These feminists do not live up to your lofty ideals. The feminists who govern these groups are often corrupt and profit directly from keeping women in a state of victimhood. They profit from the narrative that men are the aggressors and women are the victims.
If you are looking for gender equality in what they say and do, you will not find it. This is the problem. The majority of women feel alienated from modern feminism because it is not providing the equality that many of them so desperately crave and it ignores the women who use this ideology to further their own ends.
Instead, feminism is the cause for much of the disparity. Policies meant to help women fail in one major respect because they often assume women in general to have a kind of moral superiority. It does not assume that women can act immorally in ways that are equivalent to men. Laws like the Violence Against Women Act in the United States presume men to be the aggressor even when men are calling to report violence against them by their partners.
If you want to help women to be seen as equal to men, we must acknowledge that they are just as capable of vice as their male counterparts and must face equal consequences. If you want real equality, you must dismantle gender bias against men and benevolent sexism against women perpetuated by the legal system.
Women must be willing to take the higher-paying dangerous jobs men take. They must be willing to be held accountable, and we must be willing to hold them accountable in the way we hold men to be accountable.
We must acknowledge that the disparity mentioned most often by feminists can be accounted for by things like life choices and economic mobility. Poverty accounts for much of the problems of Third World countries. War brings poverty and violence to these countries, harming men and women in different but equally horrific ways. Yet women are the ones most likely to receive money and aid.
Child brides arise out of necessity first in impoverished countries. Families cannot afford to feed all of their children, who as a result are married off young to keep families afloat. In the minds of those parents, they are making certain that she is fed and clothed. You want to help women? Then acknowledge that the problem is a toxic mix of ignorance, tradition, and crippling poverty in (often) war-torn countries that drives these problems—not a lack of chivalry.
It is difficult for women to even dream of a future when their families can barely afford to feed them. How can women get ahead when their clothes are rotting off their bodies and their brothers are being drawn into war because it’s their only hope of making some kind of change.
Feminism cannot put food on their tables or stop those wars because it is attempting to treat the symptoms of these problems and not the disease. You want to help people? Then wake up! We don’t need chivalry! We need honesty! Life is hell for the impoverished: it cultivates victims and criminal behavior.
Those people are in pain, and the discussion as to how to help them begins when we have honest discussions about how men and women both suffer in equal degrees, but the source is this toxic mix of human problems that we’ve yet to solve. Some of which we may never solve. Treating the symptoms is failing.
We must approach the source and come to creative solutions because as it stands people are dividing themselves over the belief that everyone can be an oppressor or that people are being oppressed in the First World. The wage gap has long since been debunked. Single, childless women often out-earn men because they make different choices now. They can wait longer to have children due to technological advances, so they make career-orientated decisions that allow them to get ahead.
The greatest determination of poverty for a woman is how many children she has and when she has them. Women often make work decisions based upon wanting to spend time with her children. So she’s more likely to take time off to tend to her sick children and to leave work early to pick them up from school or to get them to activities like soccer practice.
This all adds up to be the major contributor to the disparity in the wage gap—not gender discrimination. When you compare many of the well-paying jobs men take with something like being a kindergarten teacher, there is an obvious difference in pay. The studies speaking of a massive pay gap rely on lifetime studies that don’t account for differences in job, whether these women have children, or choose careers that pay less but make them happy.
The key to aiding this problem may well be in making birth control available to men and women and allowing them to choose when to be parents. This will also reduce the population in many problem areas and make it possible for people to do better with the same amount of resources. But it will be difficult, and many religious groups simply will not allow it.

3 Likes

Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Misogynist2014(m): 1:09pm On Sep 27, 2014
But you will likely find that the key to aiding poverty-stricken people is in advancing science and technology overall, and in safe, effective, affordable, and readily available birth control methods for men and women. The recognition of science and its continued progression is the only thing that can move us in that direction.
So I ask that instead of funding campaigns to promote chivalrous behavior in men that you fund the people who will make that line of reasoning obsolete. I ask that you fund science and technology.
Thank you for your time and I hope that you will consider what I have written.
Sincerely,
Rachel Marie Edwards

2 Likes

Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Misogynist2014(m): 1:15pm On Sep 27, 2014
With craziebone carefreewannabe babygirlfl kay17 and
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Misogynist2014(m): 1:18pm On Sep 27, 2014
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 27, 2014
So what will this open letter do? Will it suddenly turn to a magic wand and kill all feminists on planet earth? undecided undecided

As long as something that provokes a movemennt persists, The movemnt will continue and grow.

Just saying.

7 Likes

Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 27, 2014
Misogynist2014: With craziebone carefreewannabe babygirlfl kay17 and
...cococandy sambarry godismystrength bananabender etc, make una come comment na grin
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Nobody: 2:47pm On Sep 27, 2014
Sophyrocks: So what will this open letter do? Will it suddenly turn to a magic wand and kill all feminists on planet earth? undecided undecided

As long as something that provokes a movemennt persists, The movemnt will continue and grow.

Just saying.
the movement can only continue in stupidity so long it doesn't address the issues raised by the OP.

3 Likes

Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by egopersonified(f): 2:47pm On Sep 27, 2014
Patiently waiting.
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Nobody: 2:47pm On Sep 27, 2014
I think women should just do what they want to do. EMPOWER YOURSELVES AND DNT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT WHAT ANYBODY SAYS. Do not give a damn about what society says and just make yourself happy. You wanna be the Next Oprah? Nobody is stopping you. Just be one. Thats all. That is how change occurs. Sexist comments trying to redefine your role as a woman or trying to stop you from being what you want to be simply because you are a woman should be ignored completely. Be the change you want.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Misogynist2014(m): 2:52pm On Sep 27, 2014
TribalEAST: ...cococandy sambarry godismystrength bananabender etc, make una come comment na grin
They are afraid of logic, they don't want *equality*, they want to be pampered. cheesy
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 27, 2014
Misogynist2014:
Child brides arise out of necessity first in impoverished countries. Families cannot afford to feed all of their children, who as a result are married off young to keep families afloat.

She missed this, she does not understand that child bride does not necessarily arise because of poverty.
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Nobody: 3:04pm On Sep 27, 2014
Misogynist2014: They are afraid of logic, they don't want *equality*, they want to be pampered. cheesy
bunch of lazy disgruntled people.

1 Like

Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Nobody: 3:04pm On Sep 27, 2014
TribalEAST: the movement can only continue in stupidity so long it doesn't address the issues raised by the OP.

I do not like to argue about this feminist issue because i believe we have other important mattters that are worth worrying over. And arguing fromnow till tomorroow will nott stop feminism from growing. Different unions come up with fights for human rights. But the rights of women have not been deliberated on and women still suffer for it. Women are constantly reminded they cannot do certain things simply because they are women. Sexism still persists. This alone will make feminism grow.

I understand we have men-hating feminists. But that does not mean the whole movement is flawed because the main theme of the movement is equal rights, equal opportunities. is that not why we all fight for human rights?

I understand where the Op is coming from. Thats why i believe women should never limit themselves in whatever they want to do in life. No matter what the society says, they should just go right ahead and do what they want to do. You dnt need permission from anybody. That is how change occurs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Misogynist2014(m): 3:12pm On Sep 27, 2014
andromida:

She missed this, she does not understand that child bride does not necessarily arise because of poverty.
So as a rich man, I still can be stupid enough to marry my daughter out at a very young age, explain further, cos your point is inconsistent and defies logic.
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Misogynist2014(m): 3:23pm On Sep 27, 2014
Sophyrocks:

I do not like to argue about this feminist issue because i believe we have other important mattters that are worth worrying over. And arguing fromnow till tomorroow will nott stop feminism from growing. Different unions come up with fights for human rights. But the rights of women have not been deliberated on and women still suffer for it. Women are constantly reminded they cannot do certain things simply because they are women. Sexism still persists. This alone will make feminism grow.

I understand we have men-hating feminists. But that does not mean the whole movement is flawed because the main theme of the movement is equal rights, equal opportunities. is that not why we all fight for human rights?

I understand where the Op is coming from. Thats why i believe women should never limit themselves in whatever they want to do in life. No matter what the society says, they should just go right ahead and do what they want to do. You dnt need permission from anybody. That is how change occurs.
What makes a lot of people fall in life, is lack of wisdom, the person who wrote this is a woman, so I guess you should rethink. You should also tell me those men that told you authoritatively that you should not go for a career(the worst is an advice.) You see women don't recognize oppression, even if it passes beside them................... A lot of men have been oppressed because of their works; what differentiates a man from a woman is COMPETENCE!!! http://www.menarebetterthanwomen.com/myth-of-female-oppression/
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by BuddhaPalm(m): 3:23pm On Sep 27, 2014
After all said and done, women just want to be bent over and fvked in the butt.

They CRAVE to be dominated.
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Nobody: 3:54pm On Sep 27, 2014
Sophyrocks:

women want gender equality but don't want to be at the war front. Women want gender equality but want all the relief materials in war times to be theirs alone. Women want gender equality but are yet to invent something that'll change the world for good. I'll say these women just want things to be done for them without them lifting a finger.

2 Likes

Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Misogynist2014(m): 3:59pm On Sep 27, 2014
TribalEAST: bunch of lazy disgruntled people.
The heart of a woman contains an infinity of wrong, though they are wrong, they still have the ability to confuse themselves that they are right. Feminism is not a problem in Nigeria, because matured women here fight for rights and privileges. You see, when a male child is born, he explodes like a bomb and starts immediately to conquer the world, that is why men have to empower women for them to be able to stand side by side with men, these are the privileges feminists want, they think its their birth right to be empowered; they don't want to stop playing victim, because they are enjoying the rights and privileges that come with it. Feminists don't want to be equal, they want us to continue pampering their little, emotional heads.
Have you heard about Judith Christ! Feminists have changed Jesus to Judith and are preaching in churches that God is both a man and woman and some say religion was made to suppress women! Oh women, when will you begin to reason out of logic and not emotion? sad
The best way a woman can be happy in life is to
1) Seek help from men
2) Think of family first before career
3) Stop playing victim.
4) You are responsible for your actions
5) Like my sister will always say, compare yourself only with your gender. smiley
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 27, 2014
Misogynist2014: So as a rich man, I still can be stupid enough to marry my daughter out at a very young age, explain further, cos your point is inconsistent and defies logic.

You forget the religious aspect many times it has nothing to do with poverty their belief system supports and encourages the practice.
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Misogynist2014(m): 4:06pm On Sep 27, 2014
BuddhaPalm: After all said and done, women just want to be bent over and fvked in the butt.

They CRAVE to be dominated.
Differences between male and female
Aristotle believed that nature ordained not only physical differences between male and female but mental differences as well. By comparison to man, he argued, woman is "more mischievous, less simple, more impulsive ... more compassionate[,] ... more easily moved to tears[,] ... more jealous, more querulous, more apt to scold and to strike[,] ... more prone to despondency and less hopeful[,] ... more void of shame or self-respect, more false of speech, more deceptive, of more retentive memory [and] ... also more wakeful; more shrinking [and] more difficult to rouse to action" (History of Animals, 608b. 1-14). Moreover, in accord with his society's custom of allowing girls and women to eat only half as much as boys and men, he added that woman "requires a smaller quantity of nutriment" (History of Animals, 608b. 14) [ 2 ]Aristotle wrote extensively on his views of the nature of semen. His views on how a child's sex is decided have since been abandoned. [ 3 ]
He wrote that only fair-skinned women, not darker-skinned women, had a sexual discharge and climaxed. He also believed this discharge could be increased by eating of pungent foods. Aristotle thought a woman's sexual discharge was akin to that of an infertile or amputated male's. [ 4 ] [ 5 ]He concluded that both sexes contributed to the material of generation, but that the female's contribution was in her discharge (as in a male's) rather than within the ovary. [ 4 ]
His idea of procreation was an active, ensouling masculine element bringing life to a passive female element. [ 6 ] http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotle%27s_views_on_women
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by crackhaus: 4:16pm On Sep 27, 2014

If you want real equality, you must dismantle gender bias against men and benevolent sexism against men perpetuated by the legal system.
Succinctly stated.
Only an objective reader would see the truth in this. cool
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by crackhaus: 4:22pm On Sep 27, 2014
andromida:

You forget the religious aspect many times it has nothing to do with poverty their belief system supports and encourages the practice.
Just a few lines after that bit you quoted, she wrote this:

...you want to help women? Then acknowledge that the problem is a toxic mix of ignorance, tradition, and crippling poverty...
You must have missed the emboldened.
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by edwife(f): 4:29pm On Sep 27, 2014
Time to look for a comfortable position to see what's coming

4 Likes

Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Misogynist2014(m): 4:41pm On Sep 27, 2014
edwife: Time to look for a comfortable position to see what's coming

If you're not comfortable, go to hell! Guys are not smiling. angry

1 Like

Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by edwife(f): 4:44pm On Sep 27, 2014
Misogynist2014: If you're not comfortable, go to hell! Guys are not smiling. angry

Slow down guy,why you sweating?

I am not here to comment but to observe,so chill no one is fighting here,beside this is a free and faceless forum.

Try to see the fun sometimes.Have a good day. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Nobody: 4:49pm On Sep 27, 2014
edwife:

Slow down guy,why you sweating?

I am not here to comment but to observe,so chill no one is fighting here,beside this is a free and faceless forum.

Try to see the fun sometimes.Have a good day. smiley

You see the way he snapped at you? That is the reason feminism has to come to stay. Check the meaning of his username. Check all his comments as regards women and not feminists. He has issues with women. The more they rant about feminism, the more it grows. Why waste valuable time ranting and arguing about it and indirectly fueling it??

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Misogynist2014(m): 4:50pm On Sep 27, 2014
[

quote author=crackhaus]
Just a few lines after that bit you quoted, she wrote this:

You must have missed the emboldened. [/quote] Most women can't reason logically, the earlier you know that, the better for you. They are even critiquing the post, which was logically written by one few women that can reason logically. angry
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by crackhaus: 4:57pm On Sep 27, 2014
Misogynist2014:
Most women can't reason logically, the earlier you know that, the better for you. They are even critiquing the post, which was logically written by one few women that can reason logically. angry
I can now see your aim is not to have a civil discussion on this, wish someone else had posted that article.

Enjoy your thread cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Misogynist2014(m): 5:04pm On Sep 27, 2014
Sophyrocks:

You see the way he snapped at you? That is the reason feminism has to come to stay. Check the meaning of his username. Check all his comments as regards women and not feminists. He has issues with women. The more they rant about feminism, the more it grows. Why waste valuable time ranting and arguing about it and indirectly fueling it??
I apologize at edwife, if you can reason like a man, I was only using you as a medium to disseminate information. But for this one, i have nothing to say, you have an infinity of wrong in you. For your reading pleasure, there are more and more #womenagainstfeminism in America, they are tired of living the victim life you cling on. As for Nigerian babes, they so much like men providing for them(telling you to your face that if you can't care for them, you are no man(cuts across every country in Africa)) that I can't believe this trash.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. Robert J.Hanlon .
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Misogynist2014(m): 5:09pm On Sep 27, 2014
crackhaus:
I can now see your aim is not to have a civil discussion on this, wish someone else had posted that article.

Enjoy your thread cool
To me that was the plain truth, you are free to argue for or against, to me that is civility
Re: An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists by Misogynist2014(m): 5:46pm On Sep 27, 2014
I'm actually not a misogynist and never will, but when people throw trash at you,you throw it back. Good mothers and innocent ladies viewing this thread, its actually for certain poisonous ladies expectially carefreewannabe ,babygirlfl , sophyrocks, I want to flush them out. But sometimes you just have to *generalize* to make a strong point. I'm a loving husband, my lady can testify. But some people ought to be given garbage to eat. angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

good and fine / Beautiful Photos Of Ojukwu's Widow, Bianca Ojukwu And Her Children / I Need Advice..6 Month Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.