Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,057 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' (2390 Views)

10 Things Guys Say When Caught Cheating / 10 Things Women Say When They're Not Into You. / 10 Things Men Say When They Are Cheating!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by onome710(m): 2:19pm On Oct 01, 2014
The Huffington Post | By Brittany Wong

It takes nerves of steel to say "I love you" to someone for the first time.

Sure, they could say they love you back, but what if the feeling is anything but mutual and they let you know in the most soul-crushing way possible?

Take, for instance, any one of the terrible, terrible responses in this list, culled from an Ask Reddit thread that popped up Tuesday. Read what the Redditors had to say below -- and if you've ever been on the receiving end of any of these replies, our deepest, deepest condolences.

1. "Take it back' was said the other day to my friend's face. Ouch.

2. "'Wait...why?' I'm sad to say that I'm the owner of this response."

3. "And I love spending time with you!"

4. "My ex said 'thank you' and that was it. Shame ensued. There were a few moments of silence which I broke by saying 'juuuuuust kiddinggggggg' in a shaky, trying-not-to-cry voice and then we broke up a few days later."

5. "'Thank you' is bad, but the worst has to be 'thank you?' stated as a question, dragged out in an awkward way, so their response is actually more like, 'Why are you saying that? What am I supposed to say back? Am I supposed to be happy? Well, that's not how I actually feel and now you ruined this relationship.'"

6. "I love me, too!"

7. "I'm sorry."

8. "'Oh....no.' The tone of her voice sounded more disappointed than anything else. Sad day for me."

9. "Yeah, you're not too bad yourself."

10. "Awesome sauce."

11. "Via text: 'K' In person: 'I love you too, like a brother/sister.' On the phone: '-dial tone-' Webcam: 'Your session has ended.'"

12. "In ninth grade, some girl said 'I love you' in front of a group of 8-10 of us. The guy replied, 'You want fries with that?' Devastating."

13. "That's... sweet."

14. "'I wish I loved you.' Yeah, I got that once."

15. "Woah, I thought this was just physical."

16. "But I don't love you."

17. "Laughing. One of my close friends told me he loved me and always had. I laughed. I thought he was joking. He wasn't... He looked so crushed."

18. "I know how you feel; I love someone, too."

19. "Aww, crap."

20. "'The feeling is mutual.' I was 13, she was 12, it lasted a month and now we're both gay. At least something was mutual."
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by solomonbrown64: 2:29pm On Oct 01, 2014
...All these epistles on Nairaland des days, anyway, i m guilty of no 7....
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by onome710(m): 2:31pm On Oct 01, 2014
solomonbrown64: ...All these epistles on Nairaland des days, anyway, i m guilty of no 7....

I'm guilty of 14 and 20.
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by MisterLongman(m): 2:34pm On Oct 01, 2014
Number 11 is the most annoying..... The kind of reply meant for those stuck in the friendzone
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by solomonbrown64: 2:38pm On Oct 01, 2014
onome710:

I'm guilty of 14 and 20.

damn....u wicked oh
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by onome710(m): 2:39pm On Oct 01, 2014
MisterLongman: Number 11 is the most annoying..... The kind of reply meant for those stuck in the friendzone

i tell u. very f*ckd up reply.
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by onome710(m): 2:40pm On Oct 01, 2014
solomonbrown64:

damn....u wicked oh

not my fault. it wasnt mutual. i cant tell someone 'i love you' without meaning it.
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by solomonbrown64: 2:44pm On Oct 01, 2014
onome710:

not my fault. it wasnt mutual. i cant tell someone 'i love you' without meaning it.

...hmm....True.
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 01, 2014
Hmmm, nice work op, though we've heard it all before. That number 14 and 18 though...too harsh, will just crush the lover's heart.
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by Nobody: 3:26pm On Oct 01, 2014
How about 'Eeyah'?
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by Nobody: 3:35pm On Oct 01, 2014
What am i supposed to say then.?

2 Likes

Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by Rapsainot(m): 3:51pm On Oct 01, 2014
onome710: The Huffington Post | By Brittany Wong

It takes nerves of steel to say "I love you" to someone for the first time.

Sure, they could say they love you back, but what if the feeling is anything but mutual and they let you know in the most soul-crushing way possible?

Take, for instance, any one of the terrible, terrible responses in this list, culled from an Ask Reddit thread that popped up Tuesday. Read what the Redditors had to say below -- and if you've ever been on the receiving end of any of these replies, our deepest, deepest condolences.

1. "Take it back' was said the other day to my friend's face. Ouch.

2. "'Wait...why?' I'm sad to say that I'm the owner of this response."

3. "And I love spending time with you!"

4. "My ex said 'thank you' and that was it. Shame ensued. There were a few moments of silence which I broke by saying 'juuuuuust kiddinggggggg' in a shaky, trying-not-to-cry voice and then we broke up a few days later."

5. "'Thank you' is bad, but the worst has to be 'thank you?' stated as a question, dragged out in an awkward way, so their response is actually more like, 'Why are you saying that? What am I supposed to say back? Am I supposed to be happy? Well, that's not how I actually feel and now you ruined this relationship.'"

6. "I love me, too!"

7. "I'm sorry."

8. "'Oh....no.' The tone of her voice sounded more disappointed than anything else. Sad day for me."

9. "Yeah, you're not too bad yourself."

10. "Awesome sauce."

11. "Via text: 'K' In person: 'I love you too, like a brother/sister.' On the phone: '-dial tone-' Webcam: 'Your session has ended.'"

12. "In ninth grade, some girl said 'I love you' in front of a group of 8-10 of us. The guy replied, 'You want fries with that?' Devastating."

13. "That's... sweet."

14. "'I wish I loved you.' Yeah, I got that once."

15. "Woah, I thought this was just physical."

16. "But I don't love you."

17. "Laughing. One of my close friends told me he loved me and always had. I laughed. I thought he was joking. He wasn't... He looked so crushed."

18. "I know how you feel; I love someone, too."

19. "Aww, crap."

20. "'The feeling is mutual.' I was 13, she was 12, it lasted a month and now we're both gay. At least something was mutual."
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by DaWorshiper(m): 4:01pm On Oct 01, 2014
So what should we rather say?

1 Like

Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by Bilabong(m): 4:07pm On Oct 01, 2014
Ok i wont answer them any of those. I will use "what figure of speech is that?"
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by Sarimah(f): 4:22pm On Oct 01, 2014
Rily rily annoying...especially 14 16 and 18
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by Tallesty1(m): 4:34pm On Oct 01, 2014
Owk
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by Cikoloko(m): 4:35pm On Oct 01, 2014
DaWorshiper: So what shud i say. If u're telling us wat not to say, u shud also tell us wat to say instead.
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by Chukkasy(m): 5:21pm On Oct 01, 2014
to me the worst reply is 'seriously?'
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by philantoxx(m): 6:23pm On Oct 01, 2014
Neva subscribed to any
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by Nobody: 6:59pm On Oct 01, 2014
whenever he tells me I love you I response with I love you more.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by egopersonified(f): 7:12pm On Oct 01, 2014
If you get any of these responses, it confirms your friendzoneology.
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 01, 2014
Free at last angry
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by WoodcrestMayor(m): 7:37pm On Oct 01, 2014
So what r d appropriate responses?undecided
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by chymystique(f): 7:47pm On Oct 01, 2014
the best reply is to smile @ d person and change the topic of the conversation...
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by karferguso(m): 8:29pm On Oct 01, 2014
I hear u
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by nnamdibig(m): 8:56pm On Oct 01, 2014
Dear Mr Onome710, You don't go about calling people copy cat for a topic you got from the internet. You might have posted it here before me but that does not mean that I copied you. This is one of the few topic I have posted here with the source cos of network wahala.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5908326

So for the fact that you posted it here before me does not make you the author of the topic.

I have never copied someone's post here and will not start from yours.
Have a nice day.

And for "farano" that is closing thread for the fun of it, you should confirm your info before you act. Hearing from both sides is always the best.
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by missdebs(f): 1:49am On Oct 02, 2014
ma own is 'me sef i dont hate you'
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by Jarchi(m): 4:31am On Oct 02, 2014
It ain't really the talking stuff,when a real man or woman says 'ILOVEYOU' it comes from the heart
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by onome710(m): 5:32am On Oct 02, 2014
MODS, pls front page calling... Thanks
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by onome710(m): 7:41pm On Oct 02, 2014
The best reply should be 'I LOVE YOU' I don't add the 'too' I find it sort of cliché
Re: 20 Things You Should Never Say When Someone Says 'I Love You' by onome710(m): 1:50pm On Oct 22, 2014
I replied a girls 'i love you' with 'i love youtube' really fast. she didnt notice. lol

(1) (Reply)

Lol: Why Do Men Brag A Lot!! / Should I Still Stick To Him? / My Husband Bought Me A Love Machine To Compliment His Non-performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.