Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,631 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review (30315 Views)

Photos From Set Of Kunle Afolayan's Most Anticipated Film ‘The CEO’ / Photos From The Premiere Of Kunle Afolayan’s “October 1″ / Kunle Afolayan’s October 1 Movie Set For Cinemas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Jarchi(m): 5:41am On Oct 02, 2014
I so much love dis guy work
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by mesoade(m): 5:42am On Oct 02, 2014
ElekeNtioba:

u must be very retarded. U see 'half of a yellow sun' mentioned in d write-up and suddenly its an igbo vs yoruba tin

i don't know if that's what is saying ooo and i'm not trying to be tribalistic or derail the thread,but what i've noticed in my environment and most especially on nairaland is that igbos are just too more tribalistic than yorubas

8 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by ElekeNtioba: 5:43am On Oct 02, 2014
teeo:
If you haven't seen the movie then shut up

u are as crass as d movie den. Calling a movie critic a tribalist because he 'dared' to give poor rating to a movie by ur fellow yoruba.
FYI...d reviewer is yoruba.

Evrytin is a competition wit u pple....smh

4 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by davide470(m): 5:49am On Oct 02, 2014
veevean1:
nd we r supposed to be good citizens shake mi head for u
Lol. So not watching Naija's movie means am not a good citizen. Quite the contrary, ma'am, and How are you?
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by davide470(m): 5:50am On Oct 02, 2014
destante: take me along sad
Would love to, but as you are not in Lagos, Nigeria..then another time.
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by ElekeNtioba: 5:56am On Oct 02, 2014
mesoade: i don't know if that's what is saying ooo and i'm not trying to be tribalistic or derail the thread,but what i've noticed in my environment and most especially on nairaland is that igbos are just too more tribalistic than yorubas

we are talking abt dis thread not d history of Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by UjSizzle(f): 6:24am On Oct 02, 2014
teeo:

There's no point, it reeked of greiviance. Whatever beef he has with Afolayan is not my business but I an sure the op is just another tribalist. Lots of people who saw the movie put it to be better than half of a yellow sun.

Read the review properly, he only targeted personality of the actors, no basis for comparism and content analysis. He should go and sleep jare. No be by big grammar
Hian. Maybe my understanding of English language is poor, so please explain how this comment screams triabalism:

Inside critics who had seen the movie earlier had placed it over the glamorously superficial ‘Half of a Yellow Sun’ released a few months ago, consequently spiking interest in this two million dollar “David” that had supposedly struck down Biyi Bandele’s 10 million dollar (and if you are Nigerian, 1.59 BILLION NAIRA) Goliath. But then, both films seem to have a lot in common and with such budgets- bearing in mind that Nigeria has a high level of poverty- their efforts to raise Nigeria’s film reputation must be applauded, for Kunle Afolayan especially, who seemed to have had a very difficult time amassing resources “all alone” and had every aspect of the film (save the colour grading) done strictly by Nigerians in Nigeria- yeah, patriotic poo. So, our reaction to the movie would be tinted with compassion… If we were a bunch of Bottom holes, but that’s the cool part, we arent.

Btw, isn't it strange that a non-Igbo is being tribalistic against his own people? I say naija is moving forward undecided

A person having a personal vendetta against another doesn't sum up to ethnic bigotry. You should watch your choice of words.

5 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Nobody: 6:34am On Oct 02, 2014
I read through your post and i felt like punching you right in the halls. I had to go check the Topic undecided

It's only a Critic's Review grin grin

Thank you, you can run along grin grin
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by redcliff: 6:41am On Oct 02, 2014
adioolayi: Constructive criticism is good...as good as it is, I will only ask the writer to tell us one film he/she has directed, produced or acted before....if non, then he/she should keep his/her mouth shut!

You do not have to be a director to be a movie critic. You also do not have to be a chef to be a food critic. Go watch ratatouille

5 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by dania30(f): 6:57am On Oct 02, 2014
20pounds: I have not seen this movie, but I must confess that this is one Nigerian movie that I look forward to seeing. Why? Cos I have seen the making and it is sooo good! I hope it doesn't disappoint me like Half of a yellow sun did.

Yes, Half of a yellow sun was an epic fail to me. The retinue of international cast that could not pronounce their character names properly - including my brother from Enugu state, Chiwetelu Ejiofor - was the starting point of my disconnect with the movie. Their facial expresions and portrayal of characters were unAfrican to say the least. Thandie Newton and Noni whatever were more American than African. To think Thandie is British and act like American churns at the stomach!

Why rush to parade international stars when we could have sourced for stars locally? Imagine a Denzel Washington or Samuel L Jackson playing Okonkwo in Achebe's Things fall apart. I had to draw this inference cos Adichie writes like Achebe by using Igbo language to think and translating it in english, on paper. You cannot divorce the rich Igbo culture from their writing.

The movie was not in conformity with the novel. I understand this happen sometimes when good books are made into movies, but I tend to ask if Adichie saw the movie before it's release? I ask this cos the character Okeoma, in my opinion, was created as a tribute to the fallen poet Chris Okigbo, who died in the war. Adichie gave him his dues by making him die at the war front like he did, but the movie had to make him die at Odenigbo and Olanna's wedding, thereby demeaning his sacrifice and making a coward out of him. The director need not show the scene of him dying at the war front. Someone could just have brought the news to Odenigbo and Olanna, like Dr Nwala did in the novel.

To me; Onyeka Onwenu(Odenigbo's mum) and the actor who played Harrison(Richard's houseboy) were the best. I reserve my comment till I have seen October 1. I do not want to predict the temper of the chick still in the hatch.
Lol. U are so right about the half of a yellow sun. I had to download the book and after reading u could imagine my disappointment. The film didn't portray the book at all! Here I was wondering why odenigbo's mum called olanna a witch ( I found out from the book). The hype for that movie was really not worth it mbok. Abeg add Ugwu to the list, I enjoyed watching him, his facial expression was something else. He made the movie bearable.
And to october 1st movie, Kunle Afolayon is someone I respect so much and I'm certain he will deliver

5 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by iamakbar(m): 7:22am On Oct 02, 2014
[quote author=20pounds]I have not seen this movie, but I must confess that this is one Nigerian movie that I look forward to seeing. Why? Cos I have seen the making and it is sooo good! I hope it doesn't disappoint me like Half of a yellow sun did.

Yes, Half of a yellow sun was an epic fail to me. The retinue of international cast that could not pronounce their character names properly - including my brother from Enugu state, Chiwetelu Ejiofor - was the starting point of my disconnect with the movie. Their facial expresions and portrayal of characters were unAfrican to say the least. Thandie Newton and Noni whatever were more American than African. To think Thandie is British and act like American churns at the stomach!

Why rush to parade international stars when we could have sourced for stars locally? Imagine a Denzel Washington or Samuel L Jackson playing Okonkwo in Achebe's Things fall apart. I had to draw this inference cos Adichie writes like Achebe by using Igbo language to think and translating it in english, on paper. You cannot divorce the rich Igbo culture from their writing.

The movie was not in conformity with the novel. I understand this happen sometimes when good books are made into movies, but I tend to ask if Adichie saw the movie before it's release? I ask this cos the character Okeoma, in my opinion, was created as a tribute to the fallen poet Chris Okigbo, who died in the war. Adichie gave him his dues by making him die at the war front like he did, but the movie had to make him die at Odenigbo and Olanna's wedding, thereby demeaning his sacrifice and making a coward out of him. The director need not show the scene of him dying at the war front. Someone could just have brought the news to Odenigbo and Olanna, like Dr Nwala did in the novel.

To me; Onyeka Onwenu(Odenigbo's mum) and the actor who played Harrison(Richard's houseboy) were the best. I reserve my comment till I have seen October 1. I do not want to predict the temper of the chick still in the hatch.
Moreso, chiwetelu Ejiofor was too handsome to be the Odenigbo described in the novel. Additionally, the original story in the novel presents the readers with a love story enmeshed with the rise and demise of Biafra. However, on seeing the movie, I couldn't tell if it was a love story or a Biafran tale; it seemed too rushed for me.

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Ishilove: 7:23am On Oct 02, 2014
I don't know why people keep panning 'Half of a Yellow Sun'. I love the movie. It's one of my best for the year 2014.

I look forward to seeing October 1st
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Darray(m): 7:28am On Oct 02, 2014
Well, this is what critics do. So, I hold no grudges against the writer.

For lack of a better way to say I enjoyed the film-from role interpretation to directing to, inshort the total package- I will say it in our usual way. This film is 'SWEET'.

In other news, go and watch the film. The tickets were sold out for all the time slots, I had to settle for the last show of the day late in the night. Even at that, they brought in extra seats to accommodate the crowd.

IMO, it is still the best so far this year, I will rate it over 'HOAYS'.It was worth the money spent,you will not regret watching it.

3 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by jonot: 7:42am On Oct 02, 2014
I'm very surprised at the review comments posted by the op. I havent seen the movie, but the "behind the scene" being shown on Africa Magic tells one it is a movie worth watching, and Afolayan should be really commended. The movie may not be 100% but it is a really good improvement and a good showcase for what the Nigerian movie industry has to offer. I believe we should encourage Nigerians who do commendable exploits, not bring them down.

2 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by delvinmaya(m): 7:46am On Oct 02, 2014
good write up colawole, more grease to ur elbow. For most peeps, critiquing is to allow for growth. The fact that you saw the makings doesn't mean the storyline makes sense.
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Nobody: 7:49am On Oct 02, 2014
i don't care about the review of the movie,am still gonna go watch the film tongue

2 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by NaLaugh: 8:01am On Oct 02, 2014
...said the reviewer who is yet to achieve as much as a real domain name for himself.

I will need to see the film for myself.

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by destante(f): 8:08am On Oct 02, 2014
davide470: Would love to, but as you are not in Lagos, Nigeria..then another time.
oh I see undecided
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Nobody: 8:14am On Oct 02, 2014
dania30:
Lol. U are so right about the half of a yellow sun. I had to download the book and after reading u could imagine my disappointment. The film didn't portray the book at all! Here I was wondering why odenigbo's mum called olanna a witch ( I found out from the book). The hype for that movie was really not worth it mbok. Abeg add Ugwu to the list, I enjoyed watching him, his facial expression was something else. He made the movie bearable.
just my experience! Had to download the book and was totally disappointed with the movie...sincerely I dozed the first half of it
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 02, 2014
UjSizzle:
Hian. Maybe my understanding of English language is poor, so please explain how this comment screams triabalism:

Btw, isn't it strange that a non-Igbo is being tribalistic against his own people? I say naija is moving forward undecided

A person having a personal vendetta against another doesn't sum up to ethnic bigotry. You should watch your choice of words.

We could go see it together and I have Half of a yellow sun. I think its the one that was shown in the cinemas outside Nigeria and not the edited version we saw.
Good morning
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by karferguso(m): 8:19am On Oct 02, 2014
will comment after I've seen d movie
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by davide470(m): 8:28am On Oct 02, 2014
destante: oh I see undecided
What are you seeing, dearie?
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by destante(f): 8:31am On Oct 02, 2014
davide470: What are you seeing, dearie?
nvm. *faces palm
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by UjSizzle(f): 8:32am On Oct 02, 2014
teeo:

We could go see it together and I have Half of a yellow sun. I think its the one that was shown in the cinemas outside Nigeria and not the edited version we saw.
Good morning
Good morning
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by rightflank: 8:33am On Oct 02, 2014
adioolayi: Constructive criticism is good...as good as it is, I will only ask the writer to tell us one film he/she has directed, produced or acted before....if non, then he/she should keep his/her mouth shut!
Do you even know what a review is? I think it's you who has to shut up.

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 02, 2014
UjSizzle:
Good morning

I would take that as a no. Cheers
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by uzolexis(f): 8:37am On Oct 02, 2014
Brimmie:

My Brother, I swear to God.. When you finally watch this Movie, and you remember this Article.. I bet you would like to locate this Writer and stone the fvcktard to death. And all he could rate him is 5/10?? Really??

I'm yet to see this movie but the fact that whoever wrote this rated "the figurine" and "phone swap" as substandard, I won't take his words with a pinch of salt cause i've seen both movies n I think they r great.

6 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by UjSizzle(f): 8:38am On Oct 02, 2014
Ishilove: I don't know why people keep panning 'Half of a Yellow Sun'. I love the movie. It's one of my best for the year 2014.

I look forward to seeing October 1st
Did you read the book?
I've found adaptations extremely disappointing in the past that I don't bother watching now (not even GOT undecided).
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by UjSizzle(f): 8:39am On Oct 02, 2014
uzolexis:

I'm yet to see this movie but the fact that whoever wrote this rated "the figurine" and "phone swap" as substandard, I won't take his words with a pinch of salt cause i've seen both movies n I think they r great.
A lot of people found 'the figurine' to be substandard.
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by UjSizzle(f): 8:41am On Oct 02, 2014
teeo:

I would take that as a no. Cheers
Lol grin
It's a "I'll think about whether I want to watch a nollywood movie in a cinema" smiley

We'll talk offline.
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 02, 2014
you speak nonsense and guttered !! ....If we aint criticised then how would we make it better than before ?

Kunle Afolayan has tried and kudos but with the loopholes shown , he would do better next time !! .... Criticism is what makes this life a better place interms of progressive development !!

2 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by uzolexis(f): 8:45am On Oct 02, 2014
20pounds: I have not seen this movie, but I must confess that this is one Nigerian movie that I look forward to seeing. Why? Cos I have seen the making and it is sooo good! I hope it doesn't disappoint me like Half of a yellow sun did.

I totally agree with you on half of a yellow sun. The movie was awful. If I had not read the book I wouldn't have any idea what they were trying to potray in the movie. It lacked content n organisation,it was so disoriented,the scenes were not coordinated and there was no flow of thought. I could go on and on but let me stop here....in summary I was utterly disappointed with the movie cos I sooo looked 4ward 2 it.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija: “Why I Put Tobi Up For Eviction” – Cee-C / Joey Greco's Cheaters: Real Or Fake? / Lotto Nigeria Winning Numbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.