Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,789 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review (30316 Views)

Photos From Set Of Kunle Afolayan's Most Anticipated Film ‘The CEO’ / Photos From The Premiere Of Kunle Afolayan’s “October 1″ / Kunle Afolayan’s October 1 Movie Set For Cinemas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by DanWrites(m): 11:22pm On Oct 03, 2014
Mars88: Saw Half Of A Yellow Sun, decent effort but not up to par, what irked me most in it was the consistent writing of Ugo as Ugwu and Aba as Abba, not my criticism but it just pissed me off.
Kunle Afolayan is wonderful in his works although I think his stories lose touch along the line most times, I can say that especially about The Figurine, he does not have to take major roles too because I think he usually struggles with some. In all, he makes huge efforts and should be encouraged.
It's actually Ugwu(Ugwuanyi) and Abba.

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Briareos(m): 11:44pm On Oct 03, 2014
Please, no more posting of spoilers. We can discuss this movie without spoiling it for others who are yet to see it.

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Godskidmidas(m): 9:39am On Oct 04, 2014
Briareos:
Please, no more posting of spoilers. We can discuss this movie without spoiling it for others who are yet to see it.
abi oo
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by babat89: 4:49pm On Oct 04, 2014
Just saw d movie. Guess na back of screen OP watch! The film was cool abeg, not perfect though,but thumbs up to the producer.

2 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by deb(m): 11:02pm On Oct 04, 2014
adioolayi:
Constructive criticism is good...as good as it is, I will only ask the writer to tell us one film he/she has directed, produced or acted before....if non, then he/she should keep his/her mouth shut!

Exactly my thought.

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by REMIDO: 1:45pm On Oct 05, 2014
Kunle Afolanyan is one of the few Nigerian film makers in Nigeria i respect a lot. He is one film maker that tries his best to push the Nigerian dream and proove to us all that it can be done here in Nigeria. Kudos to him for having an all Nigerian Crew in the film. Kudos for not giving up or selling out. Kudos for inspiring other film makers to believe it can be done. My respect for him heightened when i watched Phone Swap. It was the best romantic comedy i had seen on the big screen here in Nigeria. It was on point on many levels because its a comedy and some things could be taken for granted (like i wont know that i have someones phone immediately i pick it up) and the fact that it was all out to advertise the sponsor. His films tend to be too patronizing and not daring enough. But he did it. He got the money and he shot the film. However i must say like the reviewer said that he needs to find his story. From deep within. Film making is an art and not a commercial with cool cameras, light and colour correction.....film is about a story.....depth.

By seeing the October 1 commercial i knew what to expect, Figurine all over again.

But on a hole you have to give it to him. he is making us proud and i will always support his films and go watch it and i think we should all do thesam. Its not easy making films here in Nigeria. If Kunle does not make the investors money back on this film...he may not get the chance to make another and where will that leave us. Film making is a continous process. And i wish October 1 and Kunle AFolayan the very best

3 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Topsido(m): 8:50pm On Oct 05, 2014
The OP and the Blogger who wrote this review must be morons. I can't believe anyone can give October 1 by Kunle Afolayan any rating less than 8\10. Comparing this nicely done movie to Half of a Yellow Sun betrays your real intension. Spoilers like you cannot change the truth..this is the best movie from Africa!

7 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by adisa204(m): 11:58pm On Oct 05, 2014
if truly u are a critic and with what u wrote about the movie talking about how not nice it was and d shortcomings and loopholes,then afterwards u gave the movie 5/10 guy u are not a critic at all.You are just an attention seeker.Yes I saw the movie Oct 1 today and Yes I saw it twice cause it was that good and wonderful.It portrayed things we teenagers of the millennium needs to know about our country and what some of our fellow daddy's and grand-dad went through in d hands of the so called FATHER DIS!!FATHER DAT!!! all in d name of western education.
Well I don't mind seeing the movie again because sergeant Afonja never cease to hook me up with laughter and A very big THUMBS UP to kunle afolayan and the actors and actresses who were involved in this wonderful and epic move!!!
NIGERIA WE HAIL THEE!!!!!!!!!!!LONG LIVE NIGERIA

8 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by homesteady(m): 3:56pm On Oct 06, 2014
Like seriously which October 1st is this OP talking about? is it the one I just watched? if it is, then the OP is absolutely drunk!
What even annoyed me most is when he said everyone guessed right! I'm almost forced to give spoilers!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by lumzybo: 8:18pm On Oct 06, 2014
The OP is soo wrong. I had to look for this thread after seeing this movie. The film is really cool. Thumbs up to Kunle

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by fasky(m): 10:09am On Oct 07, 2014
OP u can lie o!!!!!!!

Thumps up to the producer, Not the very best but far above average. I score it 8/10.

God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by imonikhet: 6:17pm On Oct 07, 2014
DanWrites:

'We the audience?' How many persons are bottled up inside you?

You clearly have a poor grasp of English

1 Like

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by DanWrites(m): 6:24pm On Oct 07, 2014
imonikhet:

You clearly have a poor grasp of English
Ok.
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by jantavanta(m): 8:24am On Oct 09, 2014
We need more historical dramas. We started with Things Fall Apart, and I was happy to view October 1 yesterday night. Seeing the the confrontation between the colonial masters and the nigerian inspector gives a feel of what the colonial era felt like. That is what I went to look for in the film, and I got it.

The issue of pederasty (homosexuality toward boys) from some teacher missionaries in boys-only boarding schools is the hidden story of the pains many African boys had to endure to acquire the meal ticket to white collar jobs.

I hope to see a film that will illustrate the political scramble for positions at the turning point of Nigeria's Independence. We have so much history to make into film.

4 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Delafruita(m): 4:24pm On Oct 10, 2014
I saw this thread a while ago,then I went to see the movie.all of your criticism is total bollocks.first,the movie promotes local talent.almost all cast and crew were sourced locally.the movie was shot in this country.this movie beats half of a yellow sun on all fronts

2 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by inowspeak: 11:01am On Oct 11, 2014
That film made me so proud of Nigeria. Mr
Afolayan is to be commended.

One thing is sure mogroide; Kunle Afolayan, son
of ADE LOVE, like his father, is securing a place
for himself on Wikipedia, google and in history,
while you sit somewhere in a corner anonymous
both in life and in death.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by makizee(m): 4:33pm On Oct 24, 2014
@OP, it seems we saw different movies, wasn't a big fan of figurine probably because the hype was so much, it was slightly disappointing when i got to see it...but Oct 1...mehn, brilliant movie, you also have to be quite deep to see the bigger picture as it relates to the ethno religious issues that the young nation then had to deal with and that we are still dealing with, even on a larger scale these days...again, the movie was brilliant, funny, with some suspense all rolled into one...i had a nice time seeing it

Ratings 9/10
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by VillageBoi(m): 12:11am On Nov 04, 2014
Finally saw this!

What can I say? I absolutely loved this film!! Is it flawless?.. Of course not, has niggles here and there! What I loved the most about this is it has real SOUL something that HOAYS lacked.... this to me was far, far more enjoyable than HOAYS even though HOAYS is 'technically' better.

This is EXACTLY the type of films 'New' Nollywood should be doing more of and not those ridiculously stupid "Oh-look-how-white-and-posh-we-sound" rom-coms that every daft prat is doing.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by toluxe0075: 8:37pm On Mar 14, 2015
After seeing kunle afolayan's october 1, the op needs to be flogged for his shallow criticism!!
In terms of cinematography, picture quality, lightning, sounds, props, storyline this movie stood out among others, stating that kunle Afolayan has never been a visionary director is an insult to the young man's years of hard work and dedication to his work, unless the op has been following kunle afolayan's movies with sentiment, it is clear that there has been a lot of improvement right from irapada to october 1. Even the so called half of a yellow sun, invasion 1897 are below par compared to october 1. To confirm how great the movie was, it accrued 9 wins out of 13 nomination at the just concluded AmvcA. If you are yet to see the movie, try to see it and don't be deceived by the op's review

3 Likes

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by onegig(m): 1:41pm On Apr 23, 2015
Just seeing the movie today and i must say. I am not the easiest person to be swayed by a movie but the storyline resonates with what happens in the everyday Nigeria and it's a true reflection of why we are still backward.

Mistrusts due to ethnic differences and sweeping justice under the carpet because a so called elite is involved. Can we all just look back to what Orubebe did recently and compare to the protest by the community after Chidinma's death. Accusing the inspector of bias because of ethnic differences and wanting to take the law into their hands. We have always been sacrificing justice just because we want to maintain the status quo.

I guess Jega must have watched the movie and learnt how to respond to the onslaught of Orubebe. Lol.

For me.. This movie is a 10/10. Picture quality was very good. Sound was awesome. I understand it was a little bit drab and slow in some aspects but given Kunle's history with slow paced movies. I wouldn't bath an eye. In short they got everything right and i am suprised i would rate a Nigerian movie 10. But this one takes it.

Forget the thrash review by the opening post. This movie was do.pe.

Cc:joywendy, sholay2011

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by haibe(m): 8:16am On May 24, 2015
Op must have watched a different movie honestly. Just saw this movie yesterday and I must say its a masterpiece. The picture, sound, suspence (although a lot was killed quickly), drama, comedy, knowledge.. etc, are just exeptional.. Although I expected the movie will focus on the event of oct 1st well but it didn't and just more or less talked about some random things that happened during this period, whichever way, the movie was great. I love the actors and actresses picked oh my Gosh!! The inspector is a top class actor, sergent afonja (oh my God I love him), Ropo was just top class and Tawa (My God I have a crush on this woman).. Even Kunle didn't take my heart with his acting like these people I mentioned.

The only thing I don't like the movie is the controversy that surrounds it.. you can't make a movie this good and make certain sects hate it. The reverend father's homosexualitu acts was unnecessary as it may be spoiling the image of "All reverend fathers today".. there are better ways to show the struggle people faced to acquire western education in the past.

All in all, its a very wonderful movie that everyone needs to see.. I rate it 8/10
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by rabzy: 4:26pm On Oct 28, 2015
haibe:
Op must have watched a different movie honestly. Just saw this movie yesterday and I must say its a masterpiece. The picture, sound, suspence (although a lot was killed quickly), drama, comedy, knowledge.. etc, are just exeptional.. Although I expected the movie will focus on the event of oct 1st well but it didn't and just more or less talked about some random things that happened during this period, whichever way, the movie was great. I love the actors and actresses picked oh my Gosh!! The inspector is a top class actor, sergent afonja (oh my God I love him), Ropo was just top class and Tawa (My God I have a crush on this woman).. Even Kunle didn't take my heart with his acting like these people I mentioned.

The only thing I don't like the movie is the controversy that surrounds it.. you can't make a movie this good and make certain sects hate it. The reverend father's homosexualitu acts was unnecessary as it may be spoiling the image of "All reverend fathers today".. there are better ways to show the struggle people faced to acquire western education in the past.

All in all, its a very wonderful movie that everyone needs to see.. I rate it 8/10

Rubbish, reverend fathers raping boys is a reoccurring theme in movies all over the world and in the news. The pope is still apologizing all over the place for the randy fathers.
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by haibe(m): 4:57pm On Oct 28, 2015
rabzy:

Rubbish, reverend fathers raping boys is a reoccurring theme in movies all over the world and in the news. The pope is still apologizing all over the place for the randy fathers.
but thats a controversial issue, i don't recommend it in a story line.
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by rabzy: 4:02pm On Nov 04, 2015
haibe:
but thats a controversial issue, i don't recommend it in a story line.

It is not controversial in movies...in fact movies tend to bring controversial stuff out so that their movies can sell....so for business its often a good thing. But the issue of reverend fathers raping boys is so commonplace inf films and news that it has lost its shock effect..its no longer controversial but still very repulsive.
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Femipeter007(m): 3:47am On Nov 05, 2015
Ppl gt killed for writing articles lyk ds. Ds movie won best movie.nd nd best director in d AMVCA. Nd u cm frm nowhere wt no credentials whatsoever to discredit d movie? Who ar u? I biliv everyone needs constructive criticism buh ds? Ds s jst criticism wt no basis in facts. Thumbs up to you, Kunle...ur d real deal...big fan of ur work. I think Desmond gt a future in d business too.
Re: Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review by Femipeter007(m): 3:59am On Nov 05, 2015
Nigerian crew, Nigerian cast...trying to rebuild an already dented image of d nation. Nd u sit dere in ur shabby one room apartment nd criticise d work?! Beta get a life...true advice! I.mean...what else do people want?! Keep going at it Kunle...future nd new face of nollyhood

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija: “Why I Put Tobi Up For Eviction” – Cee-C / Joey Greco's Cheaters: Real Or Fake? / Lotto Nigeria Winning Numbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.