Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,115 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. (42026 Views)

Asthmatic Patient Escapes Death In Port-Harcourt (Photos) / 15 Ways To Cure Insomnia Without Medication / Medication For Vaginal Itching? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by adaemeka245(f): 5:58am On Nov 10, 2014
pls som1 should tel me d non steroid medications that I can use for asthma, thanks
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by sarite(m): 11:32am On Nov 13, 2014
cute9jaguy:
Oh my, a pity reading all the asthma experiences and challenges. It can be healed, I knew that a long time ago. Pls Holla if you wish to heal yours. It is well. Drop a call back number.

u can chat me up on whatsapp will be glad...
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by joywendy(f): 4:48pm On Nov 16, 2014
Collinco:

It's not a lie a trial will convince you.No money collected untill you are treated

i will pass thanks undecided
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 10:24am On Jan 21, 2015
nice topic from OP,
mine started at 4years old, they said my own was the worse case of asthmatiscles

to me, I never had time to pet it cos I so hated it. I never let it make me different from others, I was one of the best relay runners in school, highest in high -jumps and other stunts including breakdancing. To God be the glory, I was even accepted into a military job.

how I managed mine;
- steady Franol or asthmanol ONLY. but if a new environment or weather makes a frequent attack then I spice it with perilon and dexamethasone (just for one week, 2 tabs a day) these are steroids so I minimize my take.
- I use inhaler ONLY when I want a quick recovery, infact my inhaler now lasts for atlist 3 months instead of 2weeks.
-all those cold water and oily and dust and smoke things? hmmm, I'm exposed to all on daily basis but it doesn't cause my attack. only stuffy places cause mine, plus its a nocturnal kind.
- I started injecting myself during emergencies when I was in school... with aminophyline and hydrocourtesone. I learnt that after suffering for long cos I hate the fact after walking long distance for emergency treatment in a pharmacy all I hear is 'it is finished oh! we don't sell oh! ... '
- the strongest of all asthma steroids is marax . it looks like they have ban it now sha.

NB; asthma drugs are difficult in Nigeria, places like UK and USA and UAE have a very tiny tablet that could serve you for at list 24hours.
Some people get their healing when they change their geographical location. A place with lower humidity is good. a place like Rivers, Lagos, delta and bayelsa is no good at all.

3 Likes

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 10:30am On Jan 21, 2015
femisoyebo:
FOR BEST RESULT AND PERMANENT CURE ,USE GREEN LIFE HERBAL MEDICINE SUCH AS ASHCURE,ANTICOL AND OTHERS....NEVER GIVE UP THE BATTLE....ENOUGH IS ENOUGH..
CONTACT MR FEMI FOR MORE INFORMATION
08034609011...GOD SURELY HEAL.
good you are titled as 'Mr ' and not 'Dr'.
what you are trying to do is wrong! asthma got no cure! it's a habit you got to live with, it's your body system been allergic to certain things. ONLY GOD can change it. I've visited so many bloody herbal doctors using me as labR@s!
drugs only suppresse the thing. drugs flushes away the secreted mucous but after sometime it comes back again.

that's how I'd be crying and gasping for air and people that claim to know asthma will come with yéyé balm to massage my face and chest in the name of removing cold from my system.damn it!

3 Likes

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by uulove(f): 3:04pm On Jan 21, 2015
I have had asthma since I was 5 years old. Mine was so bad that I got 3 attacks a week. Last year, I got asthma only once on boxing day because I inhaled dust. I have been able to keep it under control by

1. I don't use perfumes
2. I don't ever use mosquito coils or insecticides
3. I don't use drugs that contain sulphurnamides( spelling??)
4. I avoid dusty environments.
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by joywendy(f): 10:54pm On Jan 21, 2015
uulove:
I have had asthma since I was 5 years old. Mine was so bad that I got 3 attacks a week. Last year, I got asthma only once on boxing day because I inhaled dust. I have been able to keep it under control by

1. I don't use perfumes
2. I don't ever use mosquito coils or insecticides
3. I don't use drugs that contain sulphurnamides( spelling??)
4. I avoid dusty environments.

When in school it isn't easy to avoid all you mentioned. Especially perfume, smoke and dust.
Are u in nigeria? I ask this because apart from point 3 the rest aren't so easy in this kinda environment.
sulphonamide. Correct spelling smiley

What drug do you use? So your asthma isn't triggered by cough or cold?
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by joywendy(f): 11:31pm On Jan 21, 2015
adaemeka245:

what then do u sugest should b d alternative cos its obvious, we can't stay without this steroids, I do take dexamethasone, wich am aware of d side effects bt den I can't stay wtout it or.............( if u no wot I mean). so pls help me with better alternatives
Sorry for the over late response.
I use ventolin drug and prednisole (not sure of the spelling again) though also a form of streroids I use it in once in a blue moon.Then in severe cases I take the aminophyline injection
U can use them but don't get too addicted in using them. Know your triggers and try to avoid it by any means. Don't just take them any how. Know what works for you. Meet your doctor, let him prescribe what to use.
Dred wassup? Happy new year! You can help this fellow smiley
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by kayslimshady(m): 2:28am On Feb 10, 2015
Hiya, I think this is one of the beat threads I have seen in Nairaland. Mine started when I was six. It was so bad I take franol or ventolin on a daily bases. I don't like the inhaler because it does not really work for me. Three years ago I left Nigeria and never had an attack until a I made a weeks visit back to Nigeria (mid December last year). Shockingly my first night back home was filled with symptoms of an attack that I had to rush to the pharmacy. It makes me really think environment contribute alot. Dust, harsh weather etc.
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 11:01am On Feb 22, 2015
I used Ventoline, Asmanol, Franol and now I use Perilon.

A few nights ago, perilon stopped working for me so I had to fall back on my Inhaler.

I hate the Inhaler cause it makes me dependent.

Its not easy I tell u.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Osakah24(m): 7:35am On Apr 15, 2015
Ashthma is really a devil,i really suffered from the nonsense.but now my God have taken away the burden.
No more sleepless nights,
No more food selection
No more fear of AC
No more fears for travel.
I can eat anything,do anything,go anywhere,and i dont remember anything like dexa,franol,pirilon,salbutamol,ventolin,and there likes.

2 Likes

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 15, 2015
Osakah24:
Ashthma is really a devil,i really suffered from the nonsense.but now my God have taken away the burden.
No more food selection
No more fear of AC
I can eat anything,do anything,go anywhere,and i dont remember anything like dexa,franol,pirilon,salbutamol,ventolin,and there likes.

How did you do it, pls share. You'll be helping others somewhere somehow.
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Osakah24(m): 8:27am On Apr 15, 2015
lomomike:

How did you do it, pls share. You'll be helping others somewhere somehow.
i did nothing o,just took it to the most high God.

2 Likes

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by tforever(m): 7:48pm On May 20, 2015
kennygee:
Okay, Been living with this menace since i was six years old and i have transitioned from Ventolin tablets to Franol, now i use Perilon tablets.

I have gone between Ventolin Inhaler to Seretide and back to Ventolin.

My experience with Ventolin Inhaler is that it makes me so dependent on it.

Does anyone experience this?
bro I have a better way
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by tforever(m): 7:53pm On May 20, 2015
Well my cousin has been having repeated attacks. But no the attack has stopped for two years now.he used to have them three times a week but it's history now..this products helped him aloe gel,ginkgo,bee pollen,garlic-thyme and absorbent c..they are supplements that adequately controlled his attacks.
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Evvilgenius: 5:38pm On May 28, 2015
kennygee:
I used Ventoline, Asmanol, Franol and now I use Perilon.

A few nights ago, perilon stopped working for me so I had to fall back on my Inhaler.

I hate the Inhaler cause it makes me dependent.

Its not easy I tell u.

Ventolin inhaler for instance contains salbutamol which is a short acting Beta agonist. It makes you dependent because its duration of action is short. There are long-acting agents to be used and there's a standard stepwise management for asthma which I'll advice you see a doctor for one.

I've also noticed many people here are abusing prednisolone. Prednisolone is used in managing asthma but is to be used when there's a severe attack or an attack refractory to other drugs and its usually used for a maximum of 2 weeks in these instances.

Lastly, the importance of avoidance of precipating factors, as much as possible, cannot be overemphasized.

1 Like

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by sakalisis(m): 6:45pm On May 28, 2015
Evvilgenius:

Ventolin inhaler for instance contains salbutamol which is a short acting Beta agonist. It makes you dependent because its duration of action is short. There are long-acting agents to be used and there's a standard stepwise management for asthma which I'll advice you see a doctor for one.

I've also noticed many people here are abusing prednisolone. Prednisolone is used in managing asthma but is to be used when there's a severe attack or an attack refractory to other drugs and its usually used for a maximum of 2 weeks in these instances.

Lastly, the importance of avoidance of precipating factors, as much as possible, cannot be overemphasized.

whatare the long acting drug please
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by otokx(m): 2:10am On May 29, 2015
A lot of environmental factors in Nigeria bring about a bad experience.

Heat and Humidity interlaced with generator noise and fumes in the day then noise making nocturnal gatherings at night disrupting sleep.

The key is to try as much as possible to control the factors over which you have influence.

Before renting a house do an extensive investigation.

Always note what triggers it and avoid, try to also exercise and work on posturing, avoid slouching.
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by wellahealth: 2:30am On Jun 25, 2015
People may be interested in our blog post on 7 tips for better asthma control.

http://blog.wellahealth.com/2015/06/24/better-asthma-control/
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by gboyetade: 11:11pm On Jun 26, 2015
Who is she?
Dmanlex:
Asmathic patients contact Mrs Philomena to direct you on best swiss garde medication for your health. Don't die in silence
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by laudate: 1:51am On Jun 27, 2015
Osakah24:
No more food selection
No more fear of AC

Bros, am happy for you oh! I had the same thing until God healed me miraculously during a church service many years back. That is a long story, whose testimony I will share soon.

Had asthma from the age of 3 years till the age of 17. It was really bad. I missed out a lot on school because i spent more time being sick at home, than studying within the classroom walls.

It was triggered by dust, fried oil, smoke, freshly cut grass, heat, cold, exercise ...... anything you can think of. If I made the mistake of having a cough or a cold, ah Omo, na to start wheezing be dat. shocked shocked

Franol, Ventolin, Berotec etc; name it, I took it all. Aminophyline was difficult to get in my area in the eighties, so I had to become best friends with the pharmacist who ran the only chemist in my neighbourhood. The nice woman used to stock the drug, mainly because of me. kiss

Nights were the worst. No sleep....and the restless feeling and tightness in the chest, was a nightmare. cry

I cannot thank Papa God enough for healing me. wink

Please include prayers in your treatment plan, because believe me, God's Word still works wonders in many lives.

3 Likes

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Dmanlex(m): 4:51pm On Jun 27, 2015
gboyetade:
Who is she?
she a member of swissgarde products. Their company has variety of products that are very useful. She gave my friend a drug that cured his staph and weak erection. Current am making use of their soap and very good 4 my body. She has machine for testing what's wrong with u. 08065058269 call her. Be ur brothers keeper
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by joywendy(f): 11:42am On Jul 02, 2015
Laudate can you describe how this healing took place? Was it immediately or it was during a short during of time? Did you have a change of environment or something?

You know people can also outgrow asthma
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by laudate: 12:59pm On Jul 03, 2015
joywendy:
Laudate can you describe how this healing took place? Was it immediately or it was during a short during of time? Did you have a change of environment or something?

You know people can also outgrow asthma

Trust me, there was nothing like outgrowing asthma, in this case. I went to a Pentecostal church for a service and everyone in the congregation that day was anointed with oil, including yours truly. The Pastor prayed that God should heal all those who were present. It sounds weird but I immediately felt a strange current going through me. Omo, I left the place immediately oh! shocked shocked grin

Anyway, I got home and slept off. Following day, and for the next 3 days it rained heavily and I had to go to school back & forth in that rain. Under normal circumstances, I would have been coughing & wheezing because of the cold weather after being drenched in that rain, but I felt nothing.... which was odd. My friends who were used to my episodes, used to ask if I had my inhalers with me and my medications. But strangely, I never felt the need to use them.... all through that month and even beyond. undecided

By the end of the next month most of my anti-asthma medications had expired due to lack of use, and I haven't needed them since then.

What else could it be? But the power and mercy of God healing me? I still can't explain it fully myself. God works in mysterious ways...I tell you. wink

7 Likes

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by OluwaChinenyenwa: 4:08pm On Jul 25, 2015
laudate:

Trust me, there was nothing like outgrowing asthma, in this case. I went to a Pentecostal church for a service and everyone in the congregation that day was anointed with oil, including yours truly. The Pastor prayed that God should heal all those who were present. It sounds weird but I immediately felt a strange current going through me. Omo, I left the place immediately oh! shocked shocked grin

Anyway, I got home and slept off. Following day, and for the next 3 days it rained heavily and I had to go to school back & forth in that rain. Under normal circumstances, I would have been coughing & wheezing because of the cold weather after being drenched in that rain, but I felt nothing.... which was odd. My friends who were used to my episodes, used to ask if I had my inhalers with me and my medications. But strangely, I never felt the need to use them.... all through that month and even beyond. undecided

By the end of the next month most of my anti-asthma medications had expired due to lack of use, and I haven't needed them since then.

What else could it be? But the power and mercy of God healing me? I still can't explain it fully myself. God works in mysterious ways...I tell you. wink
Actually, there is something like outgrowing Asthma. .

My cousin's asthmatic case started when she was barely 5 months
She was taken to all the hospitals ever made as a reference to her parents, it was at a certain teaching hospital then that a white doctor took interest in her and started treating her personally. .

Her own case was very bad, stuffy room, fried pepper, dust, cold, just to mention a few.
The doctor always assured that she was going to outgrow it in due time if she avoided her allergies real good!! And she did..

Can't share her full life experience as an asthmatic patient but I saw her intake of inhalers reduce over the years.. from Ventolin to Seretide and finally to None.

She finally left Nigeria even before she outgrew it.
The day I met her and I was jokingly searching her coat, I brought out her carry about seretide inhaler and she said even in the coldest of the winters, she no longer makes use of it..

If you avoid what triggers your allergies, there is a very high chance of outgrowing it.
This happens especially if you started having it as a child. .

2 Likes

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by laudate: 6:37pm On Jul 26, 2015
Well, everyone's experience is different. Many doctors often say that people do not outgrow asthma. That it is only a myth, to talk about outgrowing it.

I know people who died as a result of complications from asthma. The late Professor Oritshejolomi Thomas, is a case in point.

I know others who successfully managed their condition, by keeping away from the allergens that trigger their symptoms. However, at a later date they eventually came into contact with that same set of allergens,and the whole asthma cycle started all over again.

There are different strokes for different folks. undecided
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by joywendy(f): 6:34pm On Jul 27, 2015
laudate:
Well, everyone's experience is different. Many doctors often say that people do not outgrow asthma. That it is only a myth, to talk about outgrowing it.

I know people who died as a result of complications from asthma. The late Professor Oritshejolomi Thomas, is a case in point.

I know others who successfully managed their condition, by keeping away from the allergens that trigger their symptoms. However, at a later date they eventually came into contact with that same set of allergens,and the whole asthma cycle started all over again.

There are different strokes for different folks. undecided

Many doctors say that people don't When they talk about outgrowing asthma according to some studies it is usually about 50 percent chance that people who are born with asthma or have asthma at an early age outgrow it when they become older not that anyone who has asthma would outgrow It. Two different things entirely,I guess that's the common misconception about the whole outgrowing thing. The fact that almost half the children with asthma have a chance of outgrowing asthma makes it also likely that adults with asthma can outgrow it. I won't consider it a myth per se. Like you said different things for different folks wink
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by OluwaChinenyenwa: 7:50pm On Jul 27, 2015
joywendy:

Many doctors say that people don't When they talk about outgrowing asthma according to some studies it is usually about 50 percent chance that people who are born with asthma or have asthma at an early age outgrow it when they become older not that anyone who has asthma would outgrow It. Two different things entirely,I guess that's the common misconception about the whole outgrowing thing. The fact that almost half the children with asthma have a chance of outgrowing asthma makes it also likely that adults with asthma can outgrow it. I won't consider it a myth per se. Like you said different things for different folks wink

Asthmatic cases in adults have been said to have 30% chances of outgrowing it..

Asthma cases which started during the early days are more likely to be outgrown than the later years asthma..

I guess I didn't really pass the message across fully well when I said my cousin's case was right from babyhood(lol, forgive the new English)..

But all the same, staying away from allergies reduces the whole asthma stress, just that most time, its not that easy. .

1 Like

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by joywendy(f): 8:18pm On Jul 27, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:

Asthmatic cases in adults have been said to have 30% chances of outgrowing it..

Asthma cases which started during the early days are more likely to be outgrown than the later years asthma..

I guess I didn't really pass the message across fully well when I said my cousin's case was right from babyhood(lol, forgive the new English)..

But all the same, staying away from allergies reduces the whole asthma stress, just that most time, its not that easy. .

Lol! Really I get what you were saying totallym I think someone here got a bit on the defensive side when you said there is actually something like outgrowing asthma.

Anyways we are all here to learn, truly not easy at all with the cold dusty polluted air we have in this country. It is well!
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by OluwaChinenyenwa: 8:46pm On Jul 27, 2015
joywendy:

Lol! Really I get what you were saying totallym I think someone here got a bit on the defensive side when you said there is actually something like outgrowing asthma.

Anyways we are all here to learn, truly not easy at all with the cold dusty polluted air we have in this country. It is well!

Each time I visit Nigeria, I am not asthmatic but I get down with catarrh and what not cause of the dust, then more or less an asthmatic patient. Its not easy my dear. .
God help us!!

Its all good..
And the said cousin of mine is on NL I think,but she hides her identity so I am not sure grin
Maybe I can get her to come and share her experience someday..

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Should I Euthanize My Dad? / Nigeria's Roadside Eye Doctor Performs Operations Under Lagos Bridge. Shocking! / Task Force Closes Bars, Clubs And Restaurants In Anambra Over Coronavirus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.