Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,824 members, 7,810,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:21 PM

Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. (41881 Views)

Asthmatic Patient Escapes Death In Port-Harcourt (Photos) / 15 Ways To Cure Insomnia Without Medication / Medication For Vaginal Itching? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 02, 2014
Okay, Been living with this menace since i was six years old and i have transitioned from Ventolin tablets to Franol, now i use Perilon tablets.

I have gone between Ventolin Inhaler to Seretide and back to Ventolin.

My experience with Ventolin Inhaler is that it makes me so dependent on it.

Does anyone experience this?

5 Likes

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by kelvine(m): 9:14am On Oct 02, 2014
Talking from experience,virtually all asthmatic medications gets you dependent. The frequency of use also indicates poor control of the allergy. A better approach is to make efforts to identify the root cause of your situation e.g certain food items,certain irritants in the environment,medications etc. Since you have had it since you were a child you should have learnt a lot of non-medical therapy. For me I just stay away from known allergenes,do press-up,swim on a sunny day,eat moringa seeds etc and I am good.
*Modified* I thank Almighty God who gave me control and victory over asthma. This feat has also earned me a space on the front page of Nigeria's biggest online forum. Now for folks having challenges with breathing easy and those who have also spent fortunes to live a healthy life just believe me,asthma can be managed by understanding yourself.
Kind regards OP for putting this up.

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 9:39am On Oct 02, 2014
My younger brother use ventolin salbutamol USP inhaler, when he was still a child, he used the ventolin tablet. Anytime he goes into fits, he's rushed to ICU where he's placed on O2 gas, and Ventolin is transfused into his system intravenously. When he moved back into Nigeria, we had to purchase an electric powered jet nebulizer. But now, he's out grown the emergency fit and rarely uses his ventolin inhaler due to lessened asthma attacks he even plays soccer and actively participates in sports once a while.

Many times, he's been a subject of ridicule because of his asthmatic state. One example was when he was playing with a kid, his inhaler suddenly fell off his pocket, the mother of the kid saw it and called the child immediately and started doomsday preaching that asthma is a contagious and communicable disease. undecided

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 11:04am On Oct 02, 2014
lomomike: My younger brother use ventolin salbutamol USP inhaler, when he was still a child, he used the ventolin tablet. Anytime he goes into fits, he's rushed to ICU where he's placed on O2 gas, and Ventolin is transfused into his system intravenously. When he moved back into Nigeria, we had to purchase an electric powered jet nebulizer. But now, he's out grown the emergency fit and rarely uses his ventolin inhaler due to lessened asthma attacks he even plays soccer and actively participates in sports once a while.

Many times, he's been a subject of ridicule because of his asthmatic state. One example was when he was playing with a kid, his inhaler suddenly fell off his pocket, the mother of the kid saw it and called the child immediately and started doomsday preaching that asthma is a contagious and communicable disease. undecided

Lwkmd. Many people are ignorant of asthma, dome think it is contagious, someone once asked me if I could have sex. I was so shocked my mouth dropped opened. He thought I could get attacks when getting intimate.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 02, 2014
kennygee:

Lwkmd. Many people are ignorant of asthma, dome think it is contagious, someone once asked me if I could have sex. I was so shocked my mouth dropped opened. He thought I could get attacks when in getting intimate.

Really.....he thought?
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 2:04pm On Oct 02, 2014
smartchoice:

Really.....he thought?

Yeah, i wanted to die of laughter.
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 02, 2014
smartchoice:

Really.....he thought?
Bro, too much stigmatization of asthmatic patients. People think asthmatic patients can't live a normal life or its a sin.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 18, 2014
pls can asthama be genetic?

1 Like

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by drered(m): 11:53am On Oct 19, 2014
chidyhels:
pls can asthama be genetic?

Yeah.. You'll be predisposed if you have a family history of asthma..
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by drered(m): 11:55am On Oct 19, 2014
kennygee:

Lwkmd. Many people are ignorant of asthma, dome think it is contagious, someone once asked me if I could have sex. I was so shocked my mouth dropped opened. He thought I could get attacks when in getting intimate.
Lol. Well people do get attacks while they having sex.. Any form of continuous physical exertion could trigger an attack depending on how well the asthma is controlled and the severity of the asthma and other pre disposing and variable factors..
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by drered(m): 11:57am On Oct 19, 2014
kennygee:
Okay, Been living with this menace since i was six years old and i have transitioned from Ventolin tablets to Franol, now i use Perilon tablets.

I have gone between Ventolin Inhaler to Seretide and back to Ventolin.

My experience with Ventolin Inhaler is that it makes me so dependent on it.

Does anyone experience this?
Hi. What dyu mean you use perilon tablets? Like daily or a short course when you get severe attacks?
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by kristen12(f): 1:25pm On Oct 19, 2014
I use ventolin tablet and piriton, then ventolin inhaler. When it gets serious to the extent of causing chest pain I use prednisolone.
Anytime the ventolin tablet and inhaler isn't working it means I have malaria, most times I'd have to treat the malaria before the other drugs work.
And I'm kinda used to ventolin tablets and inhaler that when I use any other drug apart from them it doesn't work

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by drered(m): 1:57pm On Oct 19, 2014
kristen12:
I use ventolin tablet and piriton, then ventolin inhaler. When it gets serious to the extent of causing chest pain I use prednisolone.
Anytime the ventolin tablet and inhaler isn't working it means I have malaria, most times I'd have to treat the malaria before the other drugs work.
And I'm kinda used to ventolin tablets and inhaler that when I use any other drug apart from them it doesn't work
Why are you using both ventolin tablet and inhaler? How often do you use them?

1 Like

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by kristen12(f): 2:02pm On Oct 19, 2014
drered:
Why are you using both ventolin tablet and inhaler? How often do you use them?
It works for me that way. I use the tablet when I'm about to sleep, when I'm going out or if the weather is cold. Like 3times daily but not everyday. I use the inhaler anytime my breathing isn't stable or when I'm choking
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by drered(m): 2:06pm On Oct 19, 2014
kristen12:

It works for me that way. I use the tablet when I'm about to sleep, when I'm going out or if the weather is cold. Like 3times daily but not everyday. I use the inhaler anytime my breathing isn't stable or when I'm choking
Have you tried staying off the ventolin tablet and your symptoms got worse? Any particular reason why u take it before you sleep? Do u usually wake up coughing? Do you use the inhaler more than twice a week?
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by kristen12(f): 4:38pm On Oct 19, 2014
drered:
Have you tried staying off the ventolin tablet and your symptoms got worse? Most times I use it to prevent attacks and the attacks still comes so imagine how it will be when I don't use it at all
Any particular reason why u take it before you sleep? As above
Do u usually wake up coughing? Sometimes
Do you use the inhaler more than twice a week? ☀̤̣̈̇ː̖́​Ɣξah☀ ......depends on how I'm feeling sometimes more than twice in a day
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 8:03am On Oct 20, 2014
drered:
Hi. What dyu mean you use perilon tablets? Like daily or a short course when you get severe attacks?

Not daily, just when i know its going to be a rough night. Just at night thou.
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 20, 2014
I use Xasten. Its a steroid, not advisable but it works for me.
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 2:20pm On Oct 20, 2014
chidyhels:

Just googled it, the side effects are enormous, be careful honey.
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Dmanlex(m): 2:25pm On Oct 20, 2014
Asmathic patients contact Mrs Philomena to direct you on best swiss garde medication for your health. Don't die in silence

1 Like

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 5:41pm On Oct 20, 2014
chidyhels:

nne, wat r u usin dat for?
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 20, 2014
kennygee:

Just googled it, the side effects are enormous, be careful honey.

I know. Just sharing wat works for me. I didn't advice any to take it.
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 7:10pm On Oct 20, 2014
Jenams:
nne, wat r u usin dat for?
To grow my breast tongue

4 Likes

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 6:32am On Oct 21, 2014
chidyhels:

To grow my breast tongue
hmmm
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by drered(m): 11:37am On Oct 22, 2014
[quote author=kristen12 post=27276526][/quote] oral salbutamol (tablet) does not prevent attacks per se and it isn't advisable you take it routinely to prevent tolerance .. Try and stick to your inhaler and see how that goes. If you use your inhaler more than two days a week then your asthma is poorly controlled and your therapy would have to be re-evaluated. If you want to to stay symptom free then there are steroid + LABA combinations that will keep u symptom free and prevent worsening of your asthma.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Nobody: 1:17pm On Oct 22, 2014
drered:
oral salbutamol (tablet) does not prevent attacks per se and it isn't advisable you take it routinely to prevent tolerance .. Try and stick to your inhaler and see how that goes. If you use your inhaler more than two days a week then your asthma is poorly controlled and your therapy would have to be re-evaluated. If you want to to stay symptom free then there are steroid + LABA combinations that will keep u symptom free and prevent worsening of your asthma.

I think you might be right. I decided to stay off Perilon tablet for a week, last night was so rough i kept waking up to use my Inhaler.

I think i will resume with perilon, not on a daily basis though.
Re: Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. by Fugitive: 9:45pm On Nov 01, 2014
Its not been easy handling asthama. From my view and experience,a particular medication cannot handle asthama effectively. One needs a combination of medications to do so. I use seritide as a long acting medication and ventoline inhaler to quickly avert incoming attacks. Franol tablets comes in handy too. Asthma drugs/medications will definately get you dependent on them,and thats a fact.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Top 10 State With The Highest HIV Rate In Nigeria / Her Smile After A Successful Dental Re-arrangement Is Quite Adorable - Pictures / South Africa Launches Spider-Like Robot With 4 Arms To Perform Surgeries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.