Stats: 3,154,136 members, 7,821,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? (23163 Views)

Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School / OAU Best Student Says He Avoided Cramming / How Yo Improve In Your Cramming Ability (2) (3) (4)

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by bjt(m): 6:02pm On Oct 04, 2014
OP, go watch the 3 idiots Indian movie

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by ayusco85(m): 6:03pm On Oct 04, 2014
Extom:
I used to be against the notion of cramming, but after trying to read(and understand) a voluminous textbook in preparation for my exams, and it didn't work out well(to be precise, my friend who is not as clever as I am, crammed the textbook, and did better than myself), I have been living in "CramLand" grin
Who nor like am, make e call police. Besides, whether you use tractor, or hoe take till soil, the plant go still grow.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Gbajabiamila1: 6:03pm On Oct 04, 2014
It depends on the crammer!
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 04, 2014
As a student what u should pursue is Grade first and foremost. knowing and deep understanding is secondary. The truth is that, while during school u have just 3 months to read and write exam, in d real world things are far easier . Outside school u have more time to learn things that are important to what you are doing. You can always refer to books, internet etc as a graduate.

I am talking with xperience. I made first class by concentrating on grade. During NYSC I studied d relevant books to my career in details and became well grounded. And I did well in most job test, skill test etc in top biggest nigeria companies. currently I am getting excellent appraisal at work.

As long as u know what you are doing and not lazy after school, u can know whatever u want to know after school. But u only have school time to get d good grade. And good grade is very important if u you are to get jobs, scholarship, msc admissions in top schools like MIT and havard etc. Especially if u are from a humble background, pursue good grade with all zeal and power. After u graduate u can study those courses relevant to ur career and be grounded. More than 50 percent of what u learn in school u will never use in life.

PURSUE GOOD GRADE IN SCHOOL, YOU STUDY FOR KNOWLEDGE
AFTER SCHOOL.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Libkid(m): 6:05pm On Oct 04, 2014
yea but who no dey cram sef even great scholars did.anyways i think everyfin depends on d course one is reading.i myself i belong to team la crama la por irrelevancies that our useless lecturers do ask in exam.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by spanzed(m): 6:05pm On Oct 04, 2014
As for me and myself I read to always pass but I don't tend to forget easily after exams....but cramming isn't bad as far as it would gimmie what I want..*shikena*...and Op in tertiary institution,what u taught in ur 1st semester is a long thing when u come for a new semester..and students of nowadays are lazy..including me so u need short cut to everything
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Gleefreak125(m): 6:05pm On Oct 04, 2014
eleojo23:
Yes
youngice:
Yes
chibwike:
I can affect guys, buh it cant affect girls
How? What do you mean?
youngice:
Yes
Please can you explain further
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by CoCoLav(f): 6:06pm On Oct 04, 2014
I don't even know how to cram anymore. Used to cram my entire notebook in Secondary school but in university I was suddenly unable to cram even till now.

But when I cram I remember oo. I still remember some things I did in Secondary school and even how the pages where I wrote them look like. I also remember what term I was taught some topics.

For those that cram and don't remember, well...you just won't be able to defend your result. How will you feel if your doctor keeps checking his textbook when asking you for symptoms.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by ddooskie(m): 6:09pm On Oct 04, 2014
CharlieMaria:
nwa mpa! BEHAVE!
Booking Space since 2013
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Histrings08(m): 6:10pm On Oct 04, 2014
Firstly, For u to cram successfully, you must be brilliant...there are some lekturers that doesn't want u to give them answers different from what they gave in their notes..there are some fields where crammers might not go far though eg lekturing because they're only good in short noticed test..aside this, nothing do U...crammers rule..
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by omoadeleye(m): 6:10pm On Oct 04, 2014
Before I read other people's opinion, who told you that cramming is not part of study? So my ambition is not to become a lecturer or professor, so la cram la pour.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Oct 04, 2014
As a student what u should pursue is Grade first and foremost.
knowing and deep understanding is secondary. The truth is that,
while during school u have just 3 months to read and write exam,
in d real world things are far easier . Outside school u have more
time to learn things that are important to what you are doing. You
can always refer to books, internet etc as a graduate.
I am talking with xperience. I made first class by concentrating on
grade. During NYSC I studied d relevant books to my career in
details and became well grounded. And I did well in most job test,
skill test etc in top biggest nigeria companies. currently I am
getting excellent appraisal at work.
As long as u know what you are doing and not lazy after school, u
can know whatever u want to know after school. But u only have
school time to get d good grade. And good grade is very important
if u you are to get jobs, scholarship, msc admissions in top
schools like MIT and havard etc. Especially if u are from a
humble background, pursue good grade with all zeal and power.
After u graduate u can study those courses relevant to ur career
and be grounded. More than 50 percent of what u learn in school
u will never use in life.

PURSUE GOOD GRADE IN SCHOOL, YOU STUDY FOR KNOWLEDGE AFTER SCHOOL.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by ayusco85(m): 6:12pm On Oct 04, 2014
just adopt what works for u. all that matters is getting the A's and B's. weda u cram or not. but know this ''All first class students are chronic crammers''

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by okoomoge2(m): 6:19pm On Oct 04, 2014
If you crammed to get a degree certificate in
Nigeria, Don't ever try getting a professional
Job in the western world I.e. Australia, America, GB, Europe et.al

The first impression of the white folks is you
know nothing, you gat to prove you understand the rudiment of your profession before they listen to anything from you
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Gleefreak125(m): 6:20pm On Oct 04, 2014
spanzed:
As for me and myself I read to always pass but I don't tend to forget easily after exams....but cramming isn't bad as far as it would gimmie what I want..*shikena*...and Op in tertiary institution,what u taught in ur 1st semester is a long thing when u come for a new semester..and students of nowadays are lazy..including me so u need short cut to everything
That's now obsolete. This is because some courses are pre-requisites to another in the next semester and prompt referrals here and there so if they have not been properly handled in the previous semester, they tend to become problematic.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by zebra(m): 6:20pm On Oct 04, 2014
It depends on the course. If u're doing maths or stats there are some proofs that need to be crammed. No matter how hard u try to understand them they are always difficult to grab probably because of limited time.

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by spanzed(m): 6:22pm On Oct 04, 2014
Gleefreak125:

That's now obsolete. This is because some courses are pre-requisites to another in the next semester and prompt referrals here and there so if they have not been properly handled in the previous semester, they tend to become problematic.
Gbam!!!you said it all
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by nijanigga: 6:23pm On Oct 04, 2014
That's why Nigerian graduates don't have critical thinking abilities.Any learning is back to sender focused is devoid of critical thinking.Pure useless,maybe in medicine some cramming,but you will still need critical thinking even in medicine.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by ogaofficer(m): 6:30pm On Oct 04, 2014
The kind cramming wey BEN CARSON do 4 high school wey e cum tink xay e go work 4 YALE UNIVERSITY. Bt nobody told im b4 he stop dat idea bkoz as a medicine student HE REALISD DAT IT WNT WORK it wont help. Infact in any field it doz affect. Thatz y we do seek 4 WISDOM KNOWLEDGE ND UNDERSTANDIN 4RM GOD.

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by meldeezyne(f): 6:34pm On Oct 04, 2014
( cool
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by SeverusSnape(m): 6:35pm On Oct 04, 2014
of course, because cramming enables the student to pass the exam only, everything leaves his/her memory After the exam. But reading to understand stays put even after months of reading it. some lecturers does not help issues cause they want "back to sender",Which make some students to cram.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Superstar007(m): 6:36pm On Oct 04, 2014
after go cram maths. If you are cramming formulas, I see nothing wrong with that but if you cramming without understanding what you are cramming then thats so wrong because if you read to understand, there are times you don't remember the exact meaning of what you read but because you understood what you reading you can still produce the required answer in your own context.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Larow(m): 6:37pm On Oct 04, 2014
Guys! Cramming no be easy thing o. Ask Chatur Ramalingam, he'll tell you what it takes to do that. I praise crammers o
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by SeverusSnape(m): 6:37pm On Oct 04, 2014
ayusco85:
just adopt what works for u. all that matters is getting the A's and B's. weda u cram or not. but know this ''All first class students are chronic crammers''
Bros, you're so right. even in my school, the students with the best grades are professional crammers.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by ayusco85(m): 6:44pm On Oct 04, 2014
SeverusSnape:
Bros, you're so right. even in my school, the students with the best grades are professional crammers.

i hated cramming, so i ended up with a 2.1. but someone finished with a first class in my class, the guy can cram a whole text book word for word cheesy cheesy. cram if u can

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 04, 2014
atbu1983:
As a student what u should pursue is Grade first and foremost. knowing and deep understanding is secondary. The truth is that, while during school u have just 3 months to read and write exam, in d real world things are far easier . Outside school u have more time to learn things that are important to what you are doing. You can always refer to books, internet etc as a graduate.

I am talking with xperience. I made first class by concentrating on grade. During NYSC I studied d relevant books to my career in details and became well grounded. And I did well in most job test, skill test etc in top biggest nigeria companies. currently I am getting excellent appraisal at work.

As long as u know what you are doing and not lazy after school, u can know whatever u want to know after school. But u only have school time to get d good grade. And good grade is very important if u you are to get jobs, scholarship, msc admissions in top schools like MIT and havard etc. Especially if u are from a humble background, pursue good grade with all zeal and power. After u graduate u can study those courses relevant to ur career and be grounded. More than 50 percent of what u learn in school u will never use in life.

I so agree with you 100%
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Oct 04, 2014
CRAMMING can ever substitute UNDERSTANDING.....u will get exposed finally if all you do is CRAM....So much easier to understand something than cramming.....Like the saying goes....Give a man a FISH, he eats for a DAY, Teach a man to FISH, he EATS for a LIFETIME.....See....cramming is.... you were given a fish.....while understanding is....You were taught to fish....
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by meldeezyne(f): 6:49pm On Oct 04, 2014
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by livero(m): 6:49pm On Oct 04, 2014
As far as am concerned, am a crammer and it works for me. and I can assure u all that as far as you are a student, u cannot do without cramming.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Oct 04, 2014
ayusco85:

i hated cramming, so i enede up with a 2.1. but someone finished with a first class in my class, the guy can cram a whole text book word for word cheesy cheesy. cram if u can

If all he did was cram without understanding the concepts...mark my word, he won't go far in his career....well depending on the type of job he ends up doing sha....
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by meldeezyne(f): 6:50pm On Oct 04, 2014
It actually depends on what you're cramming. In some cases u have no choice. For instance, when you're quoting values. 90-120mmHg, 3x10^8m/s,150000-400000cubic meters cheesy Anatomy-contents of the...
or De Novo pathway in Bch sad coollolz
It affects if you don't update 'the crammed', as what you crammed 100years ago in sch might have been outdated when you're trying to apply. grin
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by August17(m): 6:51pm On Oct 04, 2014
Its necessary sometimes. Can you read 8 textbook and understand everything inside. Cram some know some. For me I be father crammer to the xtent of cramming all formulas in maths....

Condition Of Murtala Ramat Mohammed College, Yola Hostel / My Matriculation Number Was Used For Another Student After Graduating / Nigeria Best 50 Schools