Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,983 members, 7,821,423 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? (23160 Views)

Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School / OAU Best Student Says He Avoided Cramming / How Yo Improve In Your Cramming Ability (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by omolizzy(f): 6:52pm On Oct 04, 2014
Cramming is just so bad bt so lecturers don't help matter,na so so back to sender dem want. Bt in biology u gat to cram so things o.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by TonySpike: 6:53pm On Oct 04, 2014
The process of cramming is like building a large pile of pack of cards one after the other. If you forget a key element of the crammed knowledge, it's as good as pulling out a card from the piled lot. The result is the swift falling of these cards, the cookies crumbled. Knowledge should be accumulated independently to allow for easy referencing in the future, cramming doesn't allow this...
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Wristler: 6:54pm On Oct 04, 2014
youngice:
Yes and No
depends on the course and person ,
Some subjects are irrelevant to your course of study.
Like in my first year we took IBO
And I'm studying EEE in FUTO, wetin join me and IBO I'm not even ibo , so Na cram and pour sure pass
Was the IBO a compulsory course?? If Yes, why would a Federal Uni make compulsory a language that's not official/ general??
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by ayusco85(m): 6:55pm On Oct 04, 2014
engineerd:

If all he did was cram without understanding the concepts...mark my word, he won't go far in his career....well depending on the type of job he ends up doing sha....

there is something people dont know, u cant cram without understanding. first class students are good with back to sender cheesy cheesy, just as the lecturer gave in his note or handout
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Oct 04, 2014
iceberylin:

ŴĤÁŤŚ ŤĤĨŚ ŐŃĔ ŚÁŶĨŃĞ undecided

hahahahahahhaha! Stanley done keel me with laugh.
Don't tell me you didn't understand him/her?

1 Like

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 04, 2014
ayusco85:

there is something people dont know, u cant cram without understanding. first class students are good with back to sender cheesy cheesy, just as the lecturer gave in his note or handout

If u cram with understanding, then that's not cramming....Of course you do need to memorize ("Cram"wink some fundamental concepts.....Even those concepts need to be understood also to enable you to formulate solutions and apply the "crammed" concepts.....I think what we are talking about here is people that just cram without understanding....trust me it is possible to cram without understanding.....
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by iceberylin(m): 7:01pm On Oct 04, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

hahahahahahhaha! Stanley done keel me with laugh.
Don't tell me you didn't understand him/her?
Ĩ ŔĔÁĎ ŤĤÁŤ PŐŚŤ ŤĤŔĔĔ ŤĨMĔŚ ŶĔŤ Ĩ ČŐÚĹĎŃ'Ť ÚŃĎĔŔŚŤÁŃĎ ĨŤ sad
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by darlenese(f): 7:01pm On Oct 04, 2014
If u must make good grades in Nija Uni, u must cram o, after graduation u can acquire knowledge, so craming is good mehn. grin grin grin
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Oct 04, 2014
yes it can , after graduation , you ll find out that you know nothing.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by ayusco85(m): 7:08pm On Oct 04, 2014
engineerd:

If u cram with understanding, then that's not cramming....Of course you do need to memorize ("Cram"wink some fundamental concepts.....Even those concepts need to be understood also to enable you to formulate solutions and apply the "crammed" concepts.....I think what we are talking about here is people that just cram without understanding....trust me it is possible to cram without understanding.....

those that cram without understanding is like someone sitting on a keg of gun powder. a little applied question will throw them off balance, all they crammed will vamus and become useless. cheesy. its unwise to cram without understanding. such people that cram without understanding are good at answering direct questions
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by eleojo23: 7:15pm On Oct 04, 2014
Gleefreak125:

How? What do you mean?
Please can you explain further
Post updated.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by holatin(m): 7:17pm On Oct 04, 2014
i don't think so, though people do say its bad but am yet to see its demerit
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Sunkyphil(m): 7:23pm On Oct 04, 2014
remembered when i was i skul there were some lecturers dat would categorically tell u day 'give me what i gave u' if u put down an entirely different stuff na caro u dey xpect b dat or poor score,na to begin dey cramm b dat.la cramm la pour la forget la useless grin
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by sonnie10: 7:25pm On Oct 04, 2014
Tell me how on earth you would answer the questions below without cramming. In some courses, you have no choice but to cram certain things.

1) What are the name of the three bones of the inner ear?

2) List the classification (taxonomy) of living things

3) List pathway of blood flow in the 4 chambers of the heart

4) Name all the blood vessels in the "Circle of Willis"

5) List all the bones of the wrist in their correct order ( 8 of them)

6) What is the formula to calculate Relative Biological Effect (RBE) of beam on a given tissue

7) Draw and label the Billary tract

cool Name any 5 gram positive microbe

9) Name all the bones of the skull separating the cranial bones from the facial bones

10) What is the diff between myocardial infraction and pectoral Angina
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Cultured(m): 7:29pm On Oct 04, 2014
The cause of unbearable unemployment situation in our country Nigeria in particular and all the third world countries at large is " Hear and Forget " ( cram and pour ) . And to an extension the unproductive nature of most of the lucky employed few in established organizations .

Our educational curriculum especially in the tertiary level is a part of the problem , while misinformation and misconception on the part of the general populace is the greater cause . Below is the cause of the problem and the way out of the mess . Thus :

The cause of the problem

- Our academic curriculum encourages " Hear and Forget " ( ie cram and pour )

The way out of the problem

- Our academic curriculum should start to encourage " See and Remember " and " Learn and Understand "

In summary , when students are made to believe that the essence of going to tertiary institution is to make good grade by any means possible and the general populace yard stick of adjudging the standard of knowledge one acquired in the duration of stay in the academic environment is also based on the grades acquired , the end result becomes " unbearable unemployment and unproductivity " .

1 Like

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 04, 2014
It depend on the course. For courses relating or revolving around Medicine, you have to read and pass effectively. Art and Social science course like accounting, Bus Admin. These type of course you have to know how to cram wella cause it involve writing of so many love letters and using of format one have to follow serially. And after school you won't see 70% of all them in working environment
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by prowlG: 7:35pm On Oct 04, 2014
We do call it La' cram La'pour principle while I was still in school.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by ionsman: 7:38pm On Oct 04, 2014
Cramjones(cram-jones) should be able to give a valid answer here.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Oct 04, 2014
iceberylin:

ŴĤÁŤŚ ŤĤĨŚ ŐŃĔ ŚÁŶĨŃĞ undecided

I think you have been really impolite and uncouth towards safarigirl. An apology wouldn't be out of place.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by stanisbaratheon: 7:46pm On Oct 04, 2014
some times it's good some times it's not. It helps some people and it doesn't help some other person...so.......fill da space
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by iceberylin(m): 7:48pm On Oct 04, 2014
DoctorFaust:

I think you have been really impolite and uncouth towards safarigirl. An apology wouldn't be out of place.
Ĩ Only ÁŚĶĔĎ Á QÚĔŚŤĨŐŃ undecided
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by kevoh(m): 7:49pm On Oct 04, 2014
You make sure you understand what you read, then you MUST cram definitions, advantages/disadvantages,dates, characteristics, formulae e.t.c That is the proper way to do it .
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by sonnie10: 7:50pm On Oct 04, 2014
Cultured:

The cause of unbearable unemployment situation in our country Nigeria in particular and all the third world countries at large is " Hear and Forget " ( cram and pour ) . And to an extension the unproductive nature of most of the lucky employed few in established organizations .

Our educational curriculum especially in the tertiary level is a part of the problem , while misinformation and misconception on the part of the general populace is the greater cause . Below is the cause of the problem and the way out of the mess . Thus :

The cause of the problem

- Our academic curriculum encourages " Hear and Forget " ( ie cram and pour )

The way out of the problem

- Our academic curriculum should start to encourage " See and Remember " and " Learn and Understand "

In summary , when students are made to believe that the essence of going to tertiary institution is to make good grade by any means possible and the general populace yard stick of adjudging the standard of knowledge one acquired in the duration of stay in the academic environment is also based on the grades acquired , the end result becomes " unbearable unemployment and unproductivity " .

True to an extent. On the other hand, I begin to wonder why most examinations (primary, high sch., college and graduate) in the US are multiple choices (OBJ). Yet, this is a place where the best of the best are produced from the schools. It is not much easier to "cram" and pass OBJ exams than written exams? Yet, in Nigeria where the university exams are mostly written ("theory"wink, people graduate without being prepared, not having the adequate skills required by employers. Evidently, there is something missing in the school system. We do not need to look far to understand that the curriculum in most of the courses in Nigeria college system need to be over hauled.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by factorial1(m): 7:51pm On Oct 04, 2014
Well, for me... I no sabi cram. I read to understand. Whenever I try to cram, I discover that I get nothing from such text.

#Team_Readers_Are_LEADERS and not Crammers_Are_LEADERS.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Oct 04, 2014
ladies and gentlemen cramming e no good o...e fit make you embarrass and finish the reputation of ya school o...a beg una try and develop lifetime reading culture please do this for future generation a beg.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Oct 04, 2014
iceberylin:

Ĩ Only ÁŚĶĔĎ Á QÚĔŚŤĨŐŃ undecided

Full of contempt cry
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Gleefreak125(m): 7:58pm On Oct 04, 2014
sonnie10:
Tell me how on earth you would answer the questions below without cramming. In some courses, you have no choice but to cram certain things.

1) What are the name of the three bones of the inner ear?

2) List the classification (taxonomy) of living things

3) List pathway of blood flow in the 4 chambers of the heart

4) Name all the blood vessels in the "Circle of Willis"

5) List all the bones of the wrist in their correct order ( 8 of them)

6) What is the formula to calculate Relative Biological Effect (RBE) of beam on a given tissue

7) Draw and label the Billary tract

cool Name any 5 gram positive microbe

9) Name all the bones of the skull separating the cranial bones from the facial bones

10) What is the diff between myocardial infraction and pectoral Angina
Now this is just the practical of the whole story. If one fails to answer all these questions correctly even though you've been taught just last year. Lets say for instance you were able to list out all the carpal bones as well as bones of the skull with the cranial & facial bones properly differentiated in an examination of this nature as at that year but all you can remember as at this year is just 5 wrist bones and a few bones of the skull, does that mean one crammed in the first instance? Sorry I just need some clarity.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by xenaxena(f): 8:00pm On Oct 04, 2014
;Dit worked for me
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by emmahoney(m): 8:06pm On Oct 04, 2014
Everybody crams, everybody understands. Both go together and cannot be separated. Some topics are abstracts while some are understandable. Only those that can do cram and memorise are the dons. It cannot affect you performance mainly because something that you have heard before would still have its residue inside you. Going back to read about them whenever it is necessary would remind you about them irrespective of weather they were memorised or were understood. Understanding and memorising are twins.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Chrylich(m): 8:12pm On Oct 04, 2014
xenaxena:
;Dit worked for me

or rather, it is working for you and it might later stop..

The problem actually is with most of us living in the moment.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by sonnie10: 8:12pm On Oct 04, 2014
Gleefreak125:

Now this is just the practical of the whole story. If one fails to answer all these questions correctly even though you've been taught just last year. Lets say for instance you were able to list out all the carpal bones as well as bones of the skull with the cranial & facial bones properly differentiated in an examination of this nature as at that year but all you can remember as at this year is just 5 wrist bones and a few bones of the skull, does that mean one crammed in the first instance? Sorry I just need some clarity.

Bros., once you graduate and get a job that is related to your course of study, trust me you will see these things everyday in your daily practice to the extent that they naturally become part and parcel of you. For example, any radiologist can tell by a mere glance that a body part (right or left side) was accurately marked on an image, even when the patient has situs inversus (a condition where one's heart is in the right side of the chest and not the left side) in the case of a chest x-ray.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 04, 2014
Techwriter:
Yes it can affect your performance. It can affect it positively but it can also affect it negatively depending on other factors. It can affect it negatively if the student assumes life to be an academic exercise and is not street smart. But it can also affect it positively when you realize that cramming tasks the brain. It challenges the brain to work thereby expanding it's potential to deliver its potentials in real life The brain is like a rubber band and can never return to it's original "size" if stretched. Cramming stretches the brain by flexing one of the mental muscles. The brain has six mental muscles and memory I'd one of them.

Read about the rest here
http://think2wize..com/2010/09/how-to-build-your-mental-muscles.html
......And who told you the brain has muscles? muscles to aid which movement?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Interesting Ways Whatsapp Is Helping Nigerian Students / 16-Year-Old Scores 8As In Recently Released WAEC Result / Condition Of Murtala Ramat Mohammed College, Yola Hostel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.