Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,184 members, 7,822,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? (23164 Views)

Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School / OAU Best Student Says He Avoided Cramming / How Yo Improve In Your Cramming Ability (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by holatoj(m): 12:32am On Oct 05, 2014
#space booked

#space booked

#space booked
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by ukandi1(m): 12:35am On Oct 05, 2014
Watch this film..'' THE THREE IDIOTS... Ur question was answered there
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by xenaxena(f): 12:37am On Oct 05, 2014
Chrylich:

well, if that actually is the case, good luck.. I just hope that trend doesn't continue.. You still have a very long way to go and sticking to "3 weeks to go" is in my own opinion not a very good idea unless you are not planning to go for so long..

and pls, try not to train your children that way, the world actually needs "thinkers" and not "crammers"..
yh....I get it
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Kayceenaz(m): 12:50am On Oct 05, 2014
Nairalanders, if I may ask, how can one know for certain that one has understood and not crammed a given material?
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Sheenor: 1:39am On Oct 05, 2014
ddooskie:
When I do "la cram, la pour"... I forget almost immediately after the exam. Cramming is a no no, if it worked for some, it might not work for YOU. Sometimes everything just fizzles out when you see the examination paper(exam questions)
he he

1 Like

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by TonySpike: 3:44am On Oct 05, 2014
Farouksenior:
Dt moment u step into exam hall.
Nd everytin u crammed flies out.
Wit a course lyk Computational maths in EEE.

Sowi na ur middle namE.

For dos grads.of EEE. In d house. Una no reason say 90% of d cal. In sch dey useless outside here?

Engineering calculations are taught to students to sharpen their assessment, logical and critical-thinking skills. While majority of these calculations might not be 'practicable' on the field, its main objective is to make you a better thinker and problem solver. Therefore, graduating with an engineering degree is all about making you smarter, swift and knowledgeable.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by lacreamieboie(m): 4:14am On Oct 05, 2014
@Op... u go study biochemistry and understand all hehehe... ur head go just blow with all the numerous pathways! Make we make the grades first... understanding go come later o!

U no understand, u no come pass am again??

#la cram #la pour #la pass #la forget!!!
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by lacreamieboie(m): 4:17am On Oct 05, 2014
Kayceenaz:
Nairalanders, if I may ask, how can one know for certain that one has understood and not crammed a given material?

are u a student
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by SkinnyDude(m): 5:45am On Oct 05, 2014
datguru:
I will update this space in the next 30 minutes
ewu, 30minutes dón pass oh.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by datguru: 6:00am On Oct 05, 2014
SkinnyDude:
ewu, 30minutes dón pass oh.

Ah! Bros wetin ? Wetin I do you ? Why you want commot all the frustration wey dey your body pour on top my head ? Wetin concern you with my post? Why you dey insult me ?
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by SkinnyDude(m): 6:09am On Oct 05, 2014
datguru:

Ah! Bros wetin ? Wetin I do you ? Why you want commot all the frustration wey dey your body pour on top my head ? Wetin concern you with my post? Why you dey insult me ?
bros, this na sunday morning.
go update the post jor.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by EbuGeneral(m): 7:03am On Oct 05, 2014
youngice:
Yes and No
depends on the course and person ,
Some subjects are irrelevant to your course of study.
Like in my first year we took IBO
And I'm studying EEE in FUTO, wetin join me and IBO I'm not even ibo , so Na cram and pour sure pass
it is igbo not ibo. and no knowledge is a waste
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 05, 2014
Tel me a studnt that hasnt cram b4,some 2cram and dnt understand-thats bad,others understand and cram.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Gleefreak125(m): 8:11am On Oct 05, 2014
ukandi1:
Watch this film..'' THE THREE IDIOTS... Ur question was answered there
Watched it already. Lemme do some analysis for you on the film. Yes, Ranchoddas Shamaldas Chanchad was a greater success compared to Chatur Rambolingham but they were both successes. I don't think it affected Chatur in achieving his dream cos to a large extent he was successful and doing fine. Though, you might say he eventually needed Phunsu Wangdu (Ranchoddas) for that ultimate success he craved. I'm not trying to justify cramming but just as some great people have said here you can't do but cram some stuff while you must understand others so you won't be left dumbfounded when it comes to their application. I've gained/still gaining a lot since yesterday, thanks to the great thinkers here on Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 10:10am On Oct 05, 2014
fairheven:
Nothing can be compared with practical know-how;if you put a Nigerian aeronautic engineer and an American aeronautic Engi neer in a class,the Nigerian student wud keep coming tops,with the help of CRamming,but compare both of them like 10years after school years,the American wud go on,possibly to manufacture a plane,or develop aproblem solving technique,due to his practical inclination,but the Nigerian wud properly be looking for job.
datz gat notin to do with crammin,datz naija economy
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by yungryce: 10:12am On Oct 05, 2014
A lot of d things we learn are usually not useful in d real world else it can always be re-learnt so why waste brain space. La cram la pour n then free up space for d important stuffs that can't be crammed
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 05, 2014
for dose dat dont understand what cramming is all about. . .
1.for sum1 to cram,dat mean d person gat a great memory
2.u open ya textbook/handout, e.g u say a definition,after reading it,u stil cnt understand it,why wastin ur time. . .cram it. . .
3. . .any futarian in d houz. If u do bio 101,102,,arc 206(yellow book),mee 102(dat big freaking textbook). .pmt 210(dat german handout. . .e.t.c. . . .u no get choice dan to cram. . . . . .
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by koredeolanrewaju(m): 11:36am On Oct 05, 2014
Most pple meditate because of their poor skuls background,poor parentage and poor primary skul teachers who just teach for teaching sake but not to change lives of pupils positive. U'll discover that some skuls don't teach pupils the r ways to answer questions correctly but asking them to cram. This therefore aggravate them to higher institutions. Another things is because of absenteeism of lecturers thereby making student cram... May God just help us in this country with the teachers we have.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by fairheven: 12:35pm On Oct 05, 2014
yusufogrin:
datz gat notin to do with crammin,datz naija economy
No sir it has a lot to do with it,do u know we import anything importable,including toothpicks?because our education system does not allow us to seek knowledge and create solutions,but we just read to pass exams
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Taolyn4lif(m): 1:03pm On Oct 05, 2014
Cramming is what the education system here appreciates better. Provide answers to questions word for word as lecturers give you and you will get full marks. For future or present application of the knowledge, you can try to understand, for high grades' sake, better cram. You can apply the two sha.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by rkarang: 1:51pm On Oct 05, 2014
CoCoLav:
I don't even know how to cram anymore. Used to cram my entire notebook in Secondary school but in university I was suddenly unable to cram even till now.

But when I cram I remember oo. I still remember some things I did in Secondary school and even how the pages where I wrote them look like. I also remember what term I was taught some topics.

For those that cram and don't remember, well...you just won't be able to defend your result. How will you feel if your doctor keeps checking his textbook when asking you for symptoms.

That is why we need to study with imagination of how what we're studying is applicable in the real world.

When I see price tag of N93.50 at supermarket, I call it odd pricing... When I hear "this message is from poultry farmers association of ...." I call it mass advertisement.... When I see "drop your complaint in this box" I call it a source of gathering data for marketing research..... When "a company gives scholarship award to undergraduates/postgraduate students" I call it social responsibilty.... When "I see girls dancing around with customized T-shirts and giving free products etc" I call it sales promotion..... When I see different products from Chi- I call them product lines" Honestly, the list is endless.... It's about imagination.... What's its correlation with real life activities?

I still maintain that what we learn in school is very relevant to our day-to-day activities---provided one knows their applications.

Though it's a combination of understanding and memorizing (most especially formulae), it pays to understand. Understanding is a problem-solving method, it enables one to remember even years after one must have taken the exam.

1 Like

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by rkarang: 2:17pm On Oct 05, 2014
ayusco85:

those that cram without understanding is like someone sitting on a keg of gun powder. a little applied question will throw them off balance, all they crammed will vamus and become useless. cheesy. its unwise to cram without understanding. such people that cram without understanding are good at answering direct questions

Oh, I love this post! You're probably from one of those institutions where applied questions are being asked....

Trust me, 95% of the students may find it difficult to understand/interpret what they're asked to do (and the lecturer would come to class and laugh....).
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Mayour11(m): 2:42pm On Oct 05, 2014
vincent561:

We once crammed the multiplication table.
That is rote learning
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Mayour11(m): 3:00pm On Oct 05, 2014
Taolyn4lif:
Cramming is what the education system here appreciates better. Provide answers to questions word for word as lecturers give you and you will get full marks. For future or present application of the knowledge, you can try to understand, for high grades' sake, better cram. You can apply the two sha.

I wanted to disagree with u at first but after reading your last sentence I concurred. You see, the most important thing is to understand your lecturer and what he/she wants. Some lecturers want you to give them back what they gave you word for word, while some lecturers will never give you good grades for giving them back what they gave you word for word. So, taking cognisance of this fact will help in getting better grades. More so, I don't believe cramming is bad (to some extent) but if after taking advantage of it, you don't go back to it, then you have misused it, then it's more likely you forget.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by vincent561(m): 3:06pm On Oct 05, 2014
Mayour11:

That is rote learning
What's the difference between the two words?. You have little or no understanding of what you've read in both.

You will understand what am saying when you have hundreds of works to do in a very microscopic time.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by rkarang: 3:20pm On Oct 05, 2014
Stelvin101:
It depend on the course. For courses relating or revolving around Medicine, you have to read and pass effectively. Art and Social science course like accounting, Bus Admin. These type of course you have to know how to cram wella cause it involve writing of so many love letters and using of format one have to follow serially. And after school you won't see 70% of all them in working environment

So if a company wants to purchase a motor van for its service, the company won't need costing?

If a company wants to embark on new projects, such company won't need project appraisal?

If a company wants to purchase its product from a supplier, the company won't need the principle of Purchasing and Supply? In fact, many companies in Nigeria now have "resource centre" or should I call it a library? You need to see how challenging work is for folks who don't have stuffs in their head--they'll keep asking questions here and there...

If a company states it clearly that whoever comes late to work should return home as part of punishment for coming late to work; assuming the company has been enforcing it; three of its workers now come late which implies that they all need to return home but one of them needs to attend meetings with foreign investors at a later time in the day, what will the company do What does the principle of business policy states? Besides, is the policy applicable in this case?

Studying is about critical thinking, it's full of imagination. It requires thinking about the relevance of what one is studying..... Remember that all these companies still go back to our professors for consultancy services.... What we study is relevant to our discipline...

Here's another difference between those who are well trained as personnel officers:

HR: We are asking for BSC certificate, you're coming here with your SSCE certificate, I don't think you're okay. Please get out....

HR(that remembers the concept of Human Relation): We are currently looking BSC holders, however we will keep your documents in our files and as soon as we have vacancy for your post, we'll contact you. Thank you for your interest in our organization.

Now you can see the difference.....

No wonder business opens today and closes tomorrow in Nigeria... A reflection of what cheesy

1 Like

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by rkarang: 3:59pm On Oct 05, 2014
Gleefreak125:

Now this is just the practical of the whole story. If one fails to answer all these questions correctly even though you've been taught just last year. Lets say for instance you were able to list out all the carpal bones as well as bones of the skull with the cranial & facial bones properly differentiated in an examination of this nature as at that year but all you can remember as at this year is just 5 wrist bones and a few bones of the skull, does that mean one crammed in the first instance? Sorry I just need some clarity.

Though I don't specialize in this field, I still feel that I can say something.

Understanding is knowing that there are (five) bones in a particular area and that they have certain functions... Memorizing is having to remember the name of those bones (it could be difficult to recall but the function is easier to know/understand).

If you examine, the above analysis critically, you'll understand that memorizing involves association. Ie having to link the functions with the name.

Apparently, what I've stated above involves the two methods.... How about someone that remembers the name but doesn't know where they are? Or what they do? Or what will happen if one of the bones is removed (similar to what they do)? Serious level of cramming

1 Like

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by rkarang: 4:10pm On Oct 05, 2014
sonnie10:

Bros., once you graduate and get a job that is related to your course of study, trust me you will see these things everyday in your daily practice to the extent that they naturally become part and parcel of you. For example, any radiologist can tell by a mere glance that a body part (right or left side) was accurately marked on an image, even when the patient has situs inversus (a condition where one's heart is in the right side of the chest and not the left side) in the case of a chest x-ray.

Oh, I thought it was only in the field of social sciences that one could need those theories..... Now a medical scientist is corroborating my assertion.

1 Like

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by icekidgodfrey(m): 6:27pm On Oct 05, 2014
Op, watch the movie 'Three Idiots'. I believe it'll answer your question.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by ayusco85(m): 7:52pm On Oct 05, 2014
rkarang:

Oh, I love this post! You're probably from one of those institutions where applied questions are being asked....

Trust me, 95% of the students may find it difficult to understand/interpret what they're asked to do (and the lecturer would come to class and laugh....).

i did attend a federal uni. and studied an applied science course
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 05, 2014
daveemuobo:
one is bound to forget soon after the exam if he/she crammed(variably) , it's somewhat bound to affect future application of such crammed stuff..
You can't cram to pass some courses and thereafter leave them.they'll haunt you.
daveemuobo:
one is bound to forget soon after the exam if he/she crammed(variably) , it's somewhat bound to affe
You can't cram to pass some courses and thereafter leave them.they'll haunt you.
daveemuobo:
one is bound to forget soon after the exam if he/she crammed(variably) , it's somewhat bound to affect future application of such crammed stuff..
Who told you that you can cram all courses...... you no sabi .......... student of
Olorun Adako

Guru in Cramming

Agberu Agbeso master

Copy and paste.

Word4Word

Give&take

Photocopy

if you want to see them then carry waka go Federal Polytechnic Bida.Niger State....... a beg go there you go see the ....won YANPIA
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by bukit05(f): 9:42pm On Oct 05, 2014
Cramming has been working for me since d days of Elijah. Pple who claim to read and understand ask dem dt same question after exam, dey won't be able to say anytin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Condition Of Murtala Ramat Mohammed College, Yola Hostel / My Matriculation Number Was Used For Another Student After Graduating / Nigeria Best 50 Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.