Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,683 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ (7090 Views)

Senator Kwankwaso And Rotimi Amaechi: Caption Photo / Ex-Governor Kwankwaso And Governor Ganduje In The 1970's / Two Kano Youths On Their Way To Join ISIS Apprehended In India (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by Nobody: 7:00am On Oct 06, 2014
on October 06, 2014 at 1:54 am

By Ochereome Nnanna

About a fortnight ago, I received a text message inviting me to visit Kano. It was sent by Alhaji Halilu Baba Dantiye, the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor of Kano State, Dr. Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso.

Dantiye, a former President of the Nigerian Guild of Editors is a professional colleague and acquaintance of 23 years standing. I first met him on the night of August 27, 1991 at the offices ofTriumphNewspapers, Kano. Dantiye was a line editor while Alhaji Atiku Abubakar’s media chief, Alhaji Garba Shehu, was the paper’s editor.

I had come in from Jos, Plateau State, and my mission was to be one of the first journalists to visit Jigawa State, one of the new states created by General Ibrahim Babangida on that day in a national broadcast. It was Dantiye and Shehu who gave me the information lowdown that I needed to make sense out of Dutse, the capital of the new state; a withered, desolate village with only tarred road running through it towards Potiskum and Maiduguri.

This was the village which, by the grace and fiat of a military ruler, was now a state capital! Looking at what Governor Sule Lamido has made of Dutse, you will not fail to marvel at what visionary leadership can do in developing human society. It will also tell you what dumb leaders, like the regimes before Lamido’s, could do in under-developing society; which is why people are always clamouring for competent and God-fearing leaders.

One of the attractions of this trip, for me, was to see up close what Gov Kwankwaso, one of the people warming up to contest for the office of president of Nigeria, was all about. After initially denying he had presidential ambition when he the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) rebel governors to pull out and join the All Progressives Congress (APC), Kwankwaso is poised to tussle for the APC ticket, along with other aspirants such as Gen Muhammadu Buhari, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole and (who knows?) Hon Tambuwal.

On arrival in Kano on Saturday along with Steve Osuji, a member of the Editorial Board and Columnist ofThe NationNewspapers, I was surprised to find myself in a 28-seater Coaster bus full of other top journalists mainly from Abuja, such as Ali Mohammed Ali, former Political editor ofThisday, Abuja university don, Dr Kabir Mato, Ademola Adegbamigbe ofThe NewsMagazine, Alhaji Ishaq Modibbo Kawu, who writes for Vanguard and other papers, among a host of others. A Special Assistant of Gov Kwankwaso was in the bus to narrate our visitation as we went along. Dantiye was with his principal in Abuja. They were to attend the turbaning of the Speaker of the House of Reps, Hon Aminu Tambuwal, by the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar III, before joining us in Kano later that night.

We visited many project sites around Kano, the nation’s second most populous city, including the Sports Institute, housing estates and the many road projects. One thing that Kano is now famous for is the existence of well-constructed wide roads, usually dual carriage express roads, complete with drainage and street lights. Another noticeable attribute of Kano is the springing up of flyover bridges, all of them started by Kwankwaso. One of the flyovers is said to be two kilometres long and still very much under construction.

It is amazing that Kano, which is one of the oldest cities in the country with a genuine ancient history, can afford such wide roads. It is obvious that Kwankwaso wants to open the city for rapid movement of goods and human traffic; a city with a great past and prospects for an even greater future. Kano will never, in the foreseeable future, be tied down by slow traffic if the structures being put up are taken to full actualisation.

As a journalist, whenever you go on a guided tour of a government project, they usually show you the good side for you to go away with a positive impression. During the night of Friday before the tour, I needed to buy some red wine to relax with colleagues. I went to the Ado Bayero Mall and patronised Shoprite. I knew that Kano was a Sharia city, where alcohol is not allowed to be openly displayed. But I felt that Shoprite, being what it is, should stock red wine. When I got there and asked for red wine, a lanky young male attendant asked me to follow him. He took me to a shelf full of red wines, but when I got closer, I found all of them were non-alcoholic!
Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by Nobody: 7:02am On Oct 06, 2014
“We are not allowed to sell alcoholic drinks here”, the attendant told me, “they say it is against their religion”.

I was directed to Sabon Gari, the settlement for non-indigenes, where my colleagues and I were able to get what we were looking for. There is night life there, but the infrastructure is a total eyesore. Sabon Gari does not look like a part of Kano city. The roads are decrepit and there is trash everywhere. The drains are broken down. People living in Sabon Gari are marginalised in the distribution of amenities in Kano. When I asked the governor why he and preceding political leaders chose to sideline the quarter populated by non-indigenes, he denied the area is being neglected. He told me that the longest, two-kilometre flyover bridge project cuts through Sabon Gari and mentioned some of the roads he said he was doing there. These explanations did not obviate the fact on ground viz: that Sabon Gari in Kano is just like places chiefly populated in Lagos by non-locals, such as Ajegunle, Amuwo Odofin, Ojo and others.

I have always been of the strong view that when it comes to the choice people have make in electing a leader, competence is very important. Kwankwaso is a very competent leader. He is also a very strong personality, intellectually solid, with a wealth of experience as former Minister and governor, among other things. But in his own Kano city, the part populated by non-indigenes is not put on the same developmental stride as the rest of the city. This man wants to be my president. If he gets to be president, he will bring his competence, intelligence and vision to the job. But to whose benefit?

Competence and intelligence

General Muhammadu Buhari also demonstrated, through his Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) odyssey, that he is competent. But he favoured the North with PTF’s projects while giving only a token to other parts in the South, especially South East. Buhari gave most of the PTF contracts to Fulani young professionals and businessmen and enriched them. He practised favouritism. When there is favouritism, one side gains at the expense of others.

So, competence apart, what is the person willing to do? Will he treat everybody equally? Will he be fair? President Shehu Shagari was fair, especially to the Igbos who came out of the civil war with the rest of the country just nine years before he was elected president.

The late President Umaru Yar’ Adua was fair, even to the Igbos.
The taste of the pudding is in the eating. Kwankwaso’s outing in Kano city shows him as a capable leader, but not a fair one, as far as the situation in the non-indigenes’ quarters – Sabon Gari Kano – is concerned.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/10/kwankwaso-two-kanos/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by vedaxcool(m): 7:14am On Oct 06, 2014
Accursed jonathan spreading ethnic chauvinusm sincr 2010. God would surely judge u.

7 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by Udehpaschal1(m): 7:21am On Oct 06, 2014
Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by Nobody: 7:22am On Oct 06, 2014
A balanced and well written article just that I disagree with the author on his using road construction as a guage for competence and intelligence. I mean all it takes to build a solid road or bridge is to assemble the right engineers and award the contract to a capable firm, provided the funds are avialable. That is not rocket science. It is one of the easiest task any leader could undertake.

However, Kwankwaso can demonstrate his intelligence or competence in the number of industries and businesses his regime resurrected and the new ones he attracted to Kano. That is where the hardwork and brain work is.

But I agree that Kwankwaso is a strong personality.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by UnknownT: 7:23am On Oct 06, 2014
So Mr. Journalist, how much were you guys given as honorarium? Did he tell you guys to use it for petrol?

2 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by quinnboy: 7:24am On Oct 06, 2014
Well articulated but remember my brother. U can only do your best as human.

1 Like

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by warrior01: 7:30am On Oct 06, 2014
[quote author=Sincere9gerian post=26900672][/quote]
No Northern bigot will ever be my president again. Well meaning Nigerians have suffered enough in their hands. Anyway, thank God for Gej for bringing in that rare transformation.

10 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by whitecat1: 7:33am On Oct 06, 2014
Is Jonathan not doing worse?

Take a look at the little projects Jonathan has commissioned or planned, they are either in SS or SE. Nothing new anymore but, I know Hausa-Fulani are not the most tribalistic in Nigeria, ibos are, followed by ijaws.

10 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by newguy1(m): 8:10am On Oct 06, 2014
OP ur article long far, inshort i hope in summary u sayin govenor of kano is really trying well same cant be said about kwara state. Well their motto b4 comin into power was legacy continues sha..lolz

2 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by arewatech(m): 8:20am On Oct 06, 2014
When he bulldoze their shops to build wide roads they will start shouting of witchhunt. Do you know how many shops and houses were brought down in order to build wide roads and flyovers?

If that's done in sabon gari, the whole country will cry claiming Igbos businesses are being targeted.

Nonsense fellows undecided

Quote me and talk trash, in ci Kan kutumar ubanka angry

5 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by talktimi(m): 8:34am On Oct 06, 2014
Is this the bigot that wants to become my president

6 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by Sibabasibaba1: 8:47am On Oct 06, 2014
I visited Kano last in 2006 on my way Damaturu, lodging in Tahir Guest House, Nasarawa GRA. I took out time then to visit the famous Sabon Gari. From the popular Bata junction, I went to France Road. I noticed that Sabon Gari was brimming with business activities but was clearly marginalized. I have heard that Kwakwanso has been improving the aesthetics of Kano now. But it is unfortunate that a place as important as Sabon Gari is not part of his Kano.

On Buhari, I have been saying it that his PTF did next to nothing in the South East-apart from buying cheap drugs for few hospitals. Buhari clearly marginalised the South East-and even the South-South. At least, I know his PTF executed little or no project in Akwa Ibom. Interestingly, the money PTF was 'flexing' with was got from these areas. How else can we describe unfairness?

One guy up here said GEJ has also been unfair as he has been siting all his projects in the SE and SS. I think the pro-APC online forces should be consistent in their arguments. In one of the Igbo-bashing threads that have been increasing by the day, you guys wondered why Igbos should support GEJ despite his failure to reciprocate with projects in Igbo land. Now, you guys are saying the exact opposite.

Which one we go take now?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by stinggy(m): 9:01am On Oct 06, 2014
Well, all I could say is there's no state in Nigeria that is not suffering from this 'Sabongari' fate.
Check where we call 'Sabo' in the west too, very undeveloped and lacking good infrastructure, an example is the Sabo in Ibadan, an eyesore.
I think what brings this is that most states believe indigenes should enjoy good life first before non-indigenes. I can't fault them much on that

1 Like

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by Sunnybobo3(m): 9:06am On Oct 06, 2014
whitecat1:

Take a look at the little projects Jonathan has commissioned or planned, they are either in SS or SE. Nothing new anymore but, I know Hausa-Fulani are not the most tribalistic in Nigeria, ibos are, followed by ijaws.

Can you mention a few of such projects.

4 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:18am On Oct 06, 2014
Brb
Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by naijaking1: 9:25am On Oct 06, 2014
Very nice article.
The days of Sarduana of Sokoto when you make a name for yourself by emphasizing your hatred for Igbos or any other tribe in this country is gone, because politics in a true democracy remains a game of numbers.
Kwankwaso represents abject hatred, threat, and bias against Igbos and possibly everybody of southern origin.
His so-called Kano miracle comes from excessive allocation of federal funds thanks to the 44 LGA given Kano by Abacha(or IBB), a number based on falsified census and that surpasses those of the whole SE put together.
He treats Sabon Gari, where the highest internally generated revenue is obtained in Kano with disdain, because his main cash flow comes from Abuja. That's why he is able to build the so-called French schools in other countries, while Kano ranks last in standardized national exams like WEAC and JAMB.
God save us from the Kwankwasos of this World!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 06, 2014
First the name of the writer rings a bell.
By Ochereome Nnanna

Secondly, the writer acknowledges the GIANT stride of Kwankwaso but tactically try to play it down by looking at the emboldened carefully. Instead of saying Kwankwaso is OPENING or has opened Kano state, heused the word "Wants to" to give it a futuristic message. that is for now it it isn't opened but there are plans to do it.
It is amazing that Kano, which is one of the oldest cities in the country with a genuine ancient history, can afford such wide roads. It is obvious that Kwankwaso wants to open the city for rapid movement of goods and human traffic; a city with a great past and prospects for an even greater future. Kano will never, in the foreseeable future, be tied down by slow traffic if the structures being put up are taken to full actualisation.
Thirdly, from this statement, it is clear that the writer already has a motive of looking for a way to discredit the government of Kano led by Rabiu Kwankawso
As a journalist, whenever you go on a guided tour of a government project, they usually show you the good side for you to go away with a positive impression.

Fourthly, the writer acknowledges again the competennce of Kwankwaso

I have always been of the strong view that when it comes to the choice people have make in electing a leader, competence is very important. Kwankwaso is a very competent leader. He is also a very strong personality, intellectually solid, with a wealth of experience as former Minister and governor, among other things
but he is a tribalist, rather than talk more of it, he diverted to TRIBAL Journalism

But in his own Kano city, the part populated by non-indigenes is not put on the same developmental stride as the rest of the city. This man wants to be my president. If he gets to be president, he will bring his competence, intelligence and vision to the job. But to whose benefit?

He again acknowledges his bigotry...
General Muhammadu Buhari also demonstrated, through his Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) odyssey, that he is competent. But he favoured the North with PTF’s projects while giving only a token to other parts in the South, especially South East.

All being said, the writer is a BIGOTED scumbag that needs to be sanctioned by National Institute of Journalism and the Vanguard Newspaper.

16 Likes

comments coming
Marginalization,and favoritism has always been the bane of our politics,just don't understand why some area,or people are often neglected yet we all clamour for one Nigeria..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by Amanwulu1(m): 9:33am On Oct 06, 2014
kwankwaso who im be? Okaaaay, na dat red-cap hausa chief. I knw am well well.

1 Like

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 06, 2014
vedaxcool:
Accursed jonathan spreading ethnic chauvinusm sincr 2010. God would surely judge u.

And when the ACF demands the power must shift to the North it was GEJ that urged them to issue such ultimatum?

Why are you so f00lish?

11 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by deeptechcool(m): 9:37am On Oct 06, 2014
Sabon gari is a no man's land so anybody can develop it. The governor is trying his best for those he is receiving allocation on behalf.

2 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by IGBOSON1: 9:39am On Oct 06, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:
I visited Kano last in 2006 on my way Damaturu, lodging in Tahir Guest House, Nasarawa GRA. I took out time then to visit the famous Sabon Gari. From the popular Bata junction, I went to France Road. I noticed that Sabon Gari was brimming with business activities but was clearly marginalized. I have heard that Kwakwanso has been improving the aesthetics of Kano now. But it is unfortunate that a place as important as Sabon Gari is not part of his Kano.

On Buhari, I have been saying it that his PTF did next to nothing in the South East-apart from buying cheap drugs for few hospitals. Buhari clearly marginalised the South East-and even the South-South. At least, I know his PTF executed little or no project in Akwa Ibom. Interestingly, the money PTF was 'flexing' with was got from these areas. How else can we describe unfairness?

One guy up here said GEJ has also been unfair as he has been siting all his projects in the SE and SS. I think the pro-APC online forces should be consistent in their arguments. In one of the Igbo-bashing threads that have been increasing by the day, you guys wondered why Igbos should support GEJ despite his failure to reciprocate with projects in Igbo land. Now, you guys are saying the exact opposite.

Which one we go take now?

^^^Nice post! This was why yesterday i asked one fool that accused Igbos of marginalizing other ethnicities prior to 1966 to cite examples so we can compare it with what other so called 'angels' have done!

5 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by Nobody: 9:44am On Oct 06, 2014
naijaking1:
Very nice article.
The days of Sarduana of Sokoto when you make a name for yourself by emphasizing your hatred for Igbos or any other tribe in this country is gone, because politics in a true democracy remains a game of numbers.
Kwankwaso represents abject hatred, threat, and bias against Igbos and possibly everybody of southern origin.
His so-called Kano miracle comes from excessive allocation of federal funds thanks to the 44 LGA given Kano by Abacha(or IBB), a number based on falsified census and that surpasses those of the whole SE put together.
He treats Sabon Gari, where the highest internally generated revenue is obtained in Kano with disdain, because his main cash flow comes from Abuja. That's why he is able to build the so-called French schools in other countries, while Kano ranks last in standardized national exams like WEAC and JAMB.
God save us from the Kwankwasos of this World!
Oh SFTU which excessive allocation? Do you know the allocation of Kano state? even the Budget of Kano is HALF/almost half of that of Akwa Ibom. Your leaders in the SE and Mine SS are incompetent and not good managers of resources. Go hide your head in Shame. Kwankwaso is the BEST Administrator in this dispensation- followed by Rauf Aregbesola

BTW: If you are not satisfied, Go Back to Your home state or respect your host government

14 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by naijaking1: 9:45am On Oct 06, 2014
deeptechcool:
Sabon gari is a no man's land so anybody can develop it. The governor is trying his best for those he is receiving allocation on behalf.

That's wrong. The people of Sabon Gari pay taxes to Kwankwaso without being represented in anyway. When oil dries up and he understands the need to widen his local tax base, then he would begin to pay more respect to his Sabon Gari tax payers!

3 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by talktimi(m): 9:47am On Oct 06, 2014
barcanista:
First the name of the writer rings a bell.

Secondly, the writer acknowledges the GIANT stride of Kwankwaso but tactically try to play it down by looking at the emboldened carefully. Instead of saying Kwankwaso is OPENING or has opened Kano state, heused the word "Wants to" to give it a futuristic message. that is for now it it isn't opened but there are plans to do it.

Thirdly, from this statement, it is clear that the writer already has a motive of looking for a way to discredit the government of Kano led by Rabiu Kwankawso

Fourthly, the writer acknowledges again the competennce of Kwankwaso

but he is a tribalist, rather than talk more of it, he diverted to TRIBAL Journalism

He again acknowledges his bigotry...

All being said, the writer is a BIGOTED scumbag that needs to be sanctioned by National Judicial Council and the Vanguard Newspaper.

because he spoke the truth abi ?

14 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by Nobody: 9:49am On Oct 06, 2014
These indeed are worth the consideration.

If the South-South could be deprived of trust funds sourced from its own soil, what then can't be meted out to them?

If a region can be ignored because it is housing peeps other than those indegenous to the state, what else worse off can't be expected if the nation's power room is left open to you?

I just laugh when those guys make a saint of the APC.

4 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 06, 2014
talktimi:
because he spoke the truth abi ?
What truth? there is no truth in his writeup. His criticism is unfounded and is driven by hate, bigotry and bitterness. We all know the children and offsprings of anger, bigotry and hatred

7 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by talktimi(m): 9:50am On Oct 06, 2014
whitecat1:

your mumu no get part 2 honestly

5 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by naijaking1: 9:51am On Oct 06, 2014
For the benefit of all dumb head, fulltime APC paid yahoo=boys out there, Akwa Ibom is more developed than Kano, because development in reality is not measured by number of useless and poorly planned flyovers, development is best measured in terms human development. Kano with all of its allocation stands miles down the line from Akwa Ibom, you can quote me.

7 Likes

Re: Kwankwaso And The ‘Two Kano’s’ by talktimi(m): 9:55am On Oct 06, 2014
barcanista:
What truth? there is no truth in his writeup. His criticism is unfounded and is driven by hate, bigotry and bitterness. We all know the children and offsprings of anger and hatred
cool down na haba.

have you been to Kano state or do you reside there ? People who have are complaining about the neglect inhabitants of sabon gari are suffering even from successive govts. What is good for the goose in main Kano city is also good for the gander in sabon gari except you can prove to everyone here that an equal pace of development is taking place all over the state.. Lets keep political and tribal sentiments aside pls

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Any Attempt To Rearrest Nnamdi Kanu I Would Come - Israel President / Money "recovered" by Swiss bank belonged to Obasanjo , IBB or their associates. / No Force Can Stop Xmas Celebration –CAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.