Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,207 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. (35848 Views)

DIY (DO-IT-YOURSELF) ABSOLUTELY FREE VIN CHECK / Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) / Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 04, 2018
Piyke:
A few more tools picked up last recently...
1. Magnetic pickup tool
2. Portable Tire inflator
3. Brake fluid tester

Nice.

Those pickup tools are handy.

Get a claw one too.
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by connkg(m): 9:15pm On Aug 04, 2018
@Piyke: Does that brake fluid tester also test battery charge level?
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by Piyke: 12:54pm On Aug 05, 2018
erico2k2:

lovly, I like that brake fluid tester.
Im trying to get me an impact wrench lol cos I lost the tyre lock key for my RRS, so need the lock remover. grin grin

Thanks. Make it a double on the impact wrench. I need one too something above 400Nm. No time for bearing down on bolts anymore. But the cost na die!
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by erico2k2(m): 12:56pm On Aug 05, 2018
Piyke:

Thanks. Make it a double on the impact wrench. I need one too something above 400Nm. No time for bearing down on bolts anymore. But the cost na die!
its expenssive, I mean teh real stuff not those cheap £100 ones that can pull a log nut ahaha
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by Piyke: 12:57pm On Aug 05, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Nice.

Those pickup tools are handy.

Get a claw one too.

Thanks boss. Any advantage of the claw over magnets? Weight limit or?
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by Piyke: 1:00pm On Aug 05, 2018
erico2k2:

its expenssive, I mean teh real stuff not those cheap £100 ones that can pull a log nut ahaha

And for the real stuff, most times that 100 quid is just for the bare unit angry you still need to acquire charger and battery.
Almost made a decision to get one recently but have deferred for now
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by Piyke: 1:00pm On Aug 05, 2018
connkg:
@Piyke: Does that brake fluid tester also test battery charge level?

Nope.
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 05, 2018
Piyke:

Thanks boss. Any advantage of the claw over magnets? Weight limit or?

Some parts are non magnetic and also I've found that some parts fall into tight spots where the bigger magnetic head can't penetrate but the small claw head can get into.

I have assorted number of these things. They are very handy and cheap.

1 Like

Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by Piyke: 1:45pm On Aug 05, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Some parts are non magnetic and also I've found that some parts fall into tight spots where the bigger magnetic head can't penetrate but the small claw head can get into.

I have assorted number of these things. They are very handy and cheap.

I see. Forgot the non magnetic side of things!
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by connkg(m): 10:41pm On Aug 05, 2018
Piyke:

Nope.
Please can you explain to me how it works?
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by Piyke: 6:52pm On Aug 06, 2018
connkg:

Please can you explain to me how it works?

You just dip the exposed end into the brake fluid reservoir and it has indicators that read the water content. At 3% (water content) you should plan to change the brake fluid. Greater than 4% means you should change as an emergency due to significant risk of brake failure

1 Like

Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by connkg(m): 2:29am On Aug 07, 2018
Thank you, Piyke.
Does that mean brake fluid degenerates into water? How does the water get in?
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by AutoElectNG: 4:17am On Aug 07, 2018
connkg:
Thank you, Piyke.
Does that mean brake fluid degenerates into water? How does the water get in?

With this question, I am offering you a chance to test your fluids with Fluid RX Diagnostic kit...no financial costs...except for an in-kind contribution in the form of a review

Brake fluid is hygroscopic

https://www.nairaland.com/4659358/test-condition-vital-fluids-fluid

1 Like

Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by connkg(m): 6:28am On Aug 07, 2018
Thanks, AutoElectNG.
I didn't know brake fluid was hygroscopic. I now know.
So, inside that plastic cup, rubber- covered, hydraulic can attract up to 4% moisture/ water in volume?
Inside that engine temperature?
Isn't it presently the farthest away from rushing air and even under the windshield air/ water drain?
4%?

BTW, I don't have any device to plot long. and lat. to get your actual location...
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by AutoElectNG: 7:54am On Aug 07, 2018
connkg:
Thanks, AutoElectNG.
I didn't know brake fluid was hygroscopic. I now know.
So, inside that plastic cup, rubber- covered, hydraulic can attract up to 4% moisture/ water in volume?
Inside that engine temperature?
Isn't it presently the farthest away from rushing air and even under the windshield air/ water drain?
4%?

BTW, I don't have any device to plot long. and lat. to get your actual location...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z1ctiw0Uck

Abuja is my base...guess you are in Lagos....should visit in less than 14 days will bring your test kit along

1 Like

Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by AutoElectNG: 9:01pm On Aug 07, 2018
connkg, please shoot me an email, I would like to share a whitepaper on brake fluids with you to bring you up to speed

1 Like

Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by radautoworks: 10:56pm On Aug 07, 2018
erico2k2:

*Cough*
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by erico2k2(m): 10:00am On Aug 08, 2018
radautoworks:

*Cough*
Madam talk you own ni, you cant just caugh and leave lah datttt grin grin grin
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by radautoworks: 11:54am On Aug 08, 2018
erico2k2:

Madam talk you own ni, you cant just caugh and leave lah datttt grin grin grin

Hehn? No it's the harmattan. Lol

Which tool did you say you wanted?
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by erico2k2(m): 12:35pm On Aug 08, 2018
radautoworks:

Hehn? No it's the harmattan. Lol

Which tool did you say you wanted?
ahahah, Impact wrench
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by connkg(m): 2:25pm On Aug 08, 2018
AutoElectNG, thank you. Email sent.
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by radautoworks: 5:32pm On Aug 08, 2018
erico2k2:

ahahah, Impact wrench

What spec? This is the lowest spec one we have in cordless.
Porter Cable Cordless Impact Wrench - 4Ah 20 Volt Lithium-Ion Battery with pro grade cells - 330 FT-LBS of torque for heavy applications http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=SBD&partNumber=PCC740LA

Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by erico2k2(m): 7:23pm On Aug 08, 2018
radautoworks:

What spec?
anything that can undo 150 lbs
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by radautoworks: 7:34pm On Aug 08, 2018
erico2k2:

Ooohh... the one we have is overkill and the 56k corded is american spec shocked
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by erico2k2(m): 7:41pm On Aug 08, 2018
radautoworks:

Ooohh... the one we have is overkill and the 56k corded is american spec shocked
Hm I got the corded ones, I was looking at geting rechargable ones, I will look fru our local DIY shops here B4 I travel, I think I might jst get used o ne frm Ebay, I understand, they are expenssive kits to have
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by Piyke: 9:37pm On Aug 08, 2018
erico2k2:

Bros friendly advise, better go for something higher o. If some of those Kazeems that stand on the breaker bar to tighten bolts e.g spindle nut, handle your tightening when you're not looking you go know how far grin

1 Like

Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by radautoworks: 10:37pm On Aug 08, 2018
The 56k one I was talking about pulls 450lb-ft
Black & Decker Porter Cable Corded Impact Wrench - 1/2" Drive, 450 ft-lbs of torque for installing & removing heavy fasteners - 2,200 RPM & 2,700 BPM

http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=SBD&partNumber=PCE211
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by erico2k2(m): 10:41am On Aug 10, 2018
I found this friendly tool on the floor of our yard and its going home with me.

Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by AutoElectNG: 11:08am On Aug 10, 2018
connkg:
AutoElectNG, thank you. Email sent.

Whitepaper sent
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by erico2k2(m): 11:15am On Aug 10, 2018
Piyke:

Bros friendly advise, better go for something higher o. If some of those Kazeems that stand on the breaker bar to tighten bolts e.g spindle nut, handle your tightening when you're not looking you go know how far grin
Sorry was meant to say 150N/m
Re: Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. by erico2k2(m): 11:17am On Aug 10, 2018
radautoworks:

I meant N/M not ft lbs grin, U know we are English grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

KIA Motors Unveils Multi Billion Naira Plant (25,000 Cars/year) In Lagos / Tisha UnArmed Shelton Drives Her Car (Photos, Video) / The Scam Of 6 Months Nigerian Used Cars For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.