Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,685 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Lawyers And Law Students, Let's Meet Here. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lawyers And Law Students, Let's Meet Here. (9145 Views)

Four Reasons Why Lawyers Are Like Condoms / Lawyers And Law Students. Help / ACCA Students, Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawyers And Law Students, Let's Meet Here. by fowowe411: 11:12pm On Apr 06, 2016
Re: Lawyers And Law Students, Let's Meet Here. by Venerable612(m): 7:15pm On Apr 20, 2016
Hi everyone,

I seriously need the advice of a practicing Lawyer.

My name is Sam. I am currently studying Law in the UK. I need to pick my modules for my last session and I am seriously caught-up between;
Intellectual Property Law and Evidence.

Please... Is it really compulsory to do Evidence if I wish to practice in Nigeria....because I seriously dont want to miss IP Law for anything. I was thinking since I did Criminal Law.. Thar should make-up for Evidence.

I need an urgent advice please.

Thanks.
Re: Lawyers And Law Students, Let's Meet Here. by 2map(m): 1:22pm On Apr 23, 2016
Time to revive the thread, where you all at?
Re: Lawyers And Law Students, Let's Meet Here. by fowowe411: 8:34am On Apr 24, 2016
Venerable612:
Hi everyone,

I seriously need the advice of a practicing Lawyer.

My name is Sam. I am currently studying Law in the UK. I need to pick my modules for my last session and I am seriously caught-up between;
Intellectual Property Law and Evidence.

Please... Is it really compulsory to do Evidence if I wish to practice in Nigeria....because I seriously dont want to miss IP Law for anything. I was thinking since I did Criminal Law.. Thar should make-up for Evidence.

I need an urgent advice please.

Thanks.
If your plan is to practise in Nigeria then I advise you go for law of evidence. Intellectual property is a substantive law that you can easily read and understand your. The larger chunk of it is abstract at least in the Nigerian legal system, there has not been much navigation in the area. However Evidence law is a procedural law that you cannot afford to miss for anything except you aren't planning to go into full law practise. It is in evidence that you will learn procedures of tendering exhibits, proofs in court, admissibility and relevance of evidence, when to get a confessional statement and so all. Since you will still attend the Nigerian Law school, you can't afford not to offer evidence if you want to come out with something serious here.

2 Likes

Re: Lawyers And Law Students, Let's Meet Here. by xenastar(f): 4:35pm On Apr 24, 2016
UNEC 400 level
Re: Lawyers And Law Students, Let's Meet Here. by Venerable612(m): 2:41am On Apr 27, 2016
fowowe411:
If your plan is to practise in Nigeria then I advise you go for law of evidence. Intellectual property is a substantive law that you can easily read and understand your. The larger chunk of it is abstract at least in the Nigerian legal system, there has not been much navigation in the area. However Evidence law is a procedural law that you cannot afford to miss for anything except you aren't planning to go into full law practise. It is in evidence that you will learn procedures of tendering exhibits, proofs in court, admissibility and relevance of evidence, when to get a confessional statement and so all. Since you will still attend the Nigerian Law school, you can't afford not to offer evidence if you want to come out with something serious here.

Cheers Bro!

I believe you are right.. Although I have later found out that I have an option to do Evidence as a remedial course if and when I take the Nigerian Bar; I have decided to do Evidence now... and I will just attend Intellectual Property classes... since I might possibly do my Masters on it.

But I am surprised you said IP Law is not really developed in Nigeria... what about all those trademarks..copyright...patents...and passing off cases. Are there not much commercial disputes along this lines?

1 Like

Re: Lawyers And Law Students, Let's Meet Here. by Martartins(m): 8:56pm On Aug 22, 2016
When we critically look at the recent judgements of our Judicial courts, one is poised to ask; why the contradicting judgement from the Sheriff/Makarfi PDP chairmanship lead judgement, to Ikpeazu/Ogah led battle for the Abia State Governorship seat unto Giwa/Pinnick tussle for the NFF presidency?
The answer cannot be far fetched. They are the scapegoats of the politicking that goes on in the executive and legislative arm of government. Come to think of it, are they not the only arm that was not duly elected by the electorate? Every other arm was elected by the citizenry, why not the Judiciary? Well, lawyers will say theirs is a defined field where integrity is the order of business. Why does it still hold that a law degree is a prerequisite for astute foray into politics?
Forgive my questions, am not a lawyer. I just want to be enlightened. The NUJ recommends qualified individuals to the president to appoint and most times these appointments are politically motivated by party affiliation. So here goes my question again. If you can see my worry, is not possible for a man who is appointed by party affiliation, by the same man, who pays his salary to be influenced? The odds don't seem to favour him to perform his duties without bias and this same analogy goes for both the state Justices.
Don't get me wrong am not advocating for Justices to start soliciting for votes in other to be named Chief Justice of the federation. I just feel their hands are tied when it comes to putting their primary objective at the forefront of things.
A bill should be sponsored by the house revoking the power of the President to appoint the CJN. That is my humble opinion.
Visit martartins..com for more......
Re: Lawyers And Law Students, Let's Meet Here. by MacWin155(m): 12:45pm On May 25, 2020
Okeoma Godwin Obinna..Studying Law at Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka... 200l...
Re: Lawyers And Law Students, Let's Meet Here. by JARUSHUB: 7:51am On Jan 10
Our client is looking for smart young lawyers that can work for a firm.

This is a junior role for lawyers and if you have decent exposure, you might want to apply. The job location is Lagos and ideal candidates will be contacted.

Interested?

Kindly send your application and cover letter to olawriter@gmail.com with the subject: Young Lawyer 2024

P.S: You must have completed Law School and NYSC.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 20 Investment Banks In Nigeria To Work In 2013 / WHY CAREER FAIL By Muyiwa Afolabi / Only 20% Of Policemen Actively Working, Says AIG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.