Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,171 members, 7,811,399 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... (2562 Views)

N2.1bn Arms Money Scandal: What I Know About EFCC Probe Of Dokpesi — Lawyer / Buhari Explains Why He Missed A Meeting On Boko Haram At The UN / Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by PhockPhockMan: 1:29pm On Oct 10, 2014
The United States Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. James Entwistle, has debunked the notion that his government is undermining Nigeria’s efforts to end the insurgency in the North-east, adding that the war had more political undertones than a religious underpinning.

The US Ambassador made the statement while addressing journalists at a press conference convened at the American University of Nigerian (AUN) in Yola, adding that human rights abuses by Nigerian soldiers in the past had played a role in determining the sale of arms to Nigeria.

THISDAY had exclusively reported last month that Nigeria’s efforts to procure military equipment, especially Cobra helicopters (erroneously reported as Chinook helicopters) from Israel, had been blocked by the US on the grounds of human rights abuses by the Nigerian military.

The US ambassador further observed that both major religions – Christianity and Islam – had suffered colossal losses since the Boko Haram insurgency started.

He said Boko Haram insurgents had grown from just a small group with arms to segmented groups that have full military training and equipment.

He said the US government was heavily involved in supporting the Nigerian government’s response to the Boko Haram menace.
“I disagree completely with these headlines; they are quite inadequate. Our two countries have strong military relationship.

“Over the years, we share a lot of equipment; some of the newest vessels of your navy come from United States, so the idea that US doesn’t support Nigeria is not true,” the envoy said.

He said the support to Nigeria was in many forms, including training of soldiers and information sharing.
On his perception of Boko Haram, the ambassador said he was not sure of the group’s objectives.
“There are still some open questions on who they are, what they want.

“A year ago, I would have said they were religiously motivated. But as they killed more and more Muslims, it’s hard for me to believe that they were motivated by religion.

“Who are these guys and what do they want? I don’t think we really understand them, ” Entwistle said.
He observed that Boko Haram had gone beyond being a small insurgent group, with a couple of guns, to a very effective collection of conventional force.

“An open question we have to look at carefully is where is the military expertise (for Boko Haram) coming from? How in the last one year have they become more effective?” He asked.

He said the American government would only sell or give out arms when she is sure of the purpose it is meant for, adding that Nigeria is America's biggest interest in Africa.

Lending some insight into Nigeria’s attempt to procure arms to counter the insurgency, Entwistle explained that cases of human rights abuses by Nigerian troops in the North-east in the past years have stood out as a sore thumb whenever the US considers the Nigerian military’s request for arms.

“Before we share equipment with any country, whether it is a government-to-government grant or a commercial sale that requires government approval, we look at a couple of things,” the ambassador explained.

“Does it make sense in terms of that country’s needs? The second thing we look at is the human rights situation in that country. And as we look at equipment transfers, we look at the situation in those countries in the past few years.

"As you all know, there have been instances, I’m not saying across the board, of human rights abuses by the Nigerian military in the North-east.

“So the kind of question that we have to ask is let’s say we give certain kinds of equipment to the Nigerian military that is then used in a way that affects the human situation. If I approve that, I’m responsible for that. We take that responsibility very seriously,” he said.
Entwistle, however, expressed confidence that Nigeria can overcome the current challenges facing the nation if a genuine democratic process is allowed to thrive.

CONTINUES BELOW.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by PhockPhockMan: 1:30pm On Oct 10, 2014
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by PhockPhockMan: 1:38pm On Oct 10, 2014
“A genuine change through democratic process is the most precious and powerful tool to bring the desired change in a nation like Nigeria,” he said.

The ambassador also said the only way to fight corruption is to establish effective institutions to fight it and when the average man in the street begins to stand up against it.

He also said through media campaigns, civil society groups and other non-governmental organisations (NGOs), the US government was going out to lunch campaigns to sensitise the people on the dangers of corruption, adding that his country also suffered corruption in the past and since the US started the fight against corruption, it was still fighting it.

He also commended the Nigeria government for rising up to fight the deadly Ebola virus, calling on other countries to emulate the actions taken by Nigeria.

The envoy, who was in Adamawa to monitor the suspended October 11 governorship by-election, held talks with the Adamawa Interfaith Committee, an NGO.

He also visited AUN where he delivered a lecture to the staff and students of the institution.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/envoy-us-not-undermining-nigeria-s-terrorism-war-but-/190948/
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by 2cato: 1:47pm On Oct 10, 2014
They will not sell weapon to us but they will sell to BH typical mentality of thieves and evil people.

1 Like

Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by psalmizt(m): 1:52pm On Oct 10, 2014
At least they have confirmed what the FG has been saying about not being able to procure arms....

That said, I don't seem to get the logic in the actions of the All Knowing Americans... Should Boko Haram be allowed to overrun Maiduguri and establish their caliphate? After all that appears to be their new drive. And how is it different from ISIS agenda? Or is there a different set of standards for "black" men?

*Now waiting to see armchair critics*

3 Likes

Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by Longeria(m): 1:53pm On Oct 10, 2014
Upon all the atrocities being committed on daily basis by Israel, you don't consider them as human rights abuses, what of the ones by your troops in Pakistan, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Time shall tell.

2 Likes

Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by PhockPhockMan: 1:59pm On Oct 10, 2014
Longeria:
Upon all the atrocities being committed on daily basis by Israel, you don't consider them as human rights abuses, what of the ones by your troops in Pakistan, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Time shall tell.
No be small thing o o.

1 Like

Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by femu(m): 2:12pm On Oct 10, 2014
2cato:
They will not sell weapon to us but they will sell to BH typical mentality of thieves and evil people.
Why not buy from Russia and China if Americans are "evil"?

Even abacha with the whole world against him was able to get military support from North korea and Libya.
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by Virgindove(f): 2:40pm On Oct 10, 2014
Reading between the lines it is obvious US hates this country of ours. Despite the widely reported cases of human right abuses commited by Israel it's still a strong ally of US. It seems there is a sinister hidden agenda against anything Nigerian at the moment. The only two reasons i could adduce to this are (1) GEJ misrule and lack of political will to fight corruption. (2) The cold war between OBJ & GEJ.

1 Like

Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 10, 2014
USA, the new face of human rights

ISRAEL, the deputy face of human rights

WASHINGTON, the human rights capital of the world while GAZA is the commercial capital and registered business address of human rights in the world

2 Likes

Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by fyneguy: 3:13pm On Oct 10, 2014
In other words, ''vote out Jonathan first, then we'll share military equipment''
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by jamace(m): 3:14pm On Oct 10, 2014
My conclusion is that, US does not mean well for Nigeria. Period. angry
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by Mboi: 3:29pm On Oct 10, 2014
Virgindove:
Reading between the lines it is obvious US hates this country of ours. Despite the widely reported cases of human right abuses commited by Israel it's still a strong ally of US. It seems there is a sinister hidden agenda against anything Nigerian at the moment. The only two reasons i could adduce to this is (1) GEJ misrule and lack of political will to fight corruption. (2) The cold war between OBJ & GEJ.
So na GEJ OBJ cold war make US no gree sell arms to Nigeria.
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by PhockPhockMan: 3:38pm On Oct 10, 2014
Mboi:

So na GEJ OBJ cold war make US no gree sell arms to Nigeria.
That guy mumu die.
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by thunderrider: 3:47pm On Oct 10, 2014
DOUBLE STANDARD

WHY AMERICA

WHY
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by chinwike2(m): 4:12pm On Oct 10, 2014
USA Hollywood blockbuster story
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by tuoyoojo(m): 4:34pm On Oct 10, 2014
Now the US has tactically agreed that they refused selling us arms which revalidates the accusation the FG made against them which kind of justifies the arm deal the FG made with the millions of dollars in south africa, which final exonorates the FG and its affilates from money laundry charges.....

While we are pondering on that, does the US have an impeccable record when it comes to human rights abuses. Are they so quick to forget the unprintable atrocities committed in iraq , afganistan and the infamous guatama bay(forgive my spelling)...

This double standard is disgusting to put it in its mildest form.a case of rabbit calling the pig "long ears".

they should come forward and say they want this country to be overun by the terrorist (which wud eventually cause our breakup in 2015 like they predicted) instead of giving this childish alibi

But come what may,nigeria wud survive 2015 and beyond and those americans can do sh*t about it

We survived ebola without them, we wud survive this without them

Viva nigeria!!

5 Likes

Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by okunboy: 5:03pm On Oct 10, 2014
I cant believe America can descend to this abyss? Those justifications don't add up at all!
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by fr3do(m): 5:32pm On Oct 10, 2014
Do our militiary need helicopters and weapons to perform more human right abuses?
Not having relatively superior weapons will not substantially reduce the alleged human right abuses but it will give the insurgents more advantage to destroy lives and property!

So does the Us really care about the people, they allege are being abused by the NA?
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by Descartes: 5:37pm On Oct 10, 2014
femu:

Why not buy from Russia and China if Americans are "evil"?

Even abacha with the whole world against him was able to get military support from North korea and Libya.
Am sure you know the difference between Democracy and Military ?
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by Descartes: 5:39pm On Oct 10, 2014
May God Heal Nigeria from Gang-rape(both civilian and military regimes) from 1960 Till Date.
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by fr3do(m): 5:45pm On Oct 10, 2014
We should study boko haram and not get weapons while the insurgents continue killing and displacing more Nigerians?

angry this man will die!
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by VEHULEAOLCOM: 5:55pm On Oct 10, 2014
I SHARE YOUR CONCERNS,I REALLY DONT SEE NIGERIA MAKING SUBSTANTIAL PROGRESS UNTIL SHE INVESTS IN HER PEOPLE AND DEVELOPE THINGS FOR HER USE INSTEAD OF IMPORTING THINGS FROM EVERY BODY ELSE.SO LONG AS THE POLITICIANS THINK THE ONLY WAY TO DO THINGS IS STEAL PUBLIC MONEY AND PUT THEM IN FOREIGN BANKS,INSTEAD OF INVESTING IN RESEARCH AND DEVELOPEMENTS AND BRINGING NIGERIAN INVENTED PRODUCTS TO MARKET.IF YOU NEED THINGS INVENT THEM.IMPORTS WILL NEVER DEVELOPE THE COUNTRY.
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by johnmartus(m): 6:12pm On Oct 10, 2014
I cannot conclude say USA hate Nigeria but let's vote Jonathan out before we can judge
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by PhockPhockMan: 7:07pm On Oct 10, 2014
johnmartus:
I cannot conclude say USA hate Nigeria but let's vote Jonathan out before we can judge
I just quoted a foolish fellow.

4 Likes

Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by PhockPhockMan: 7:10pm On Oct 10, 2014
fr3do:
Do our militiary need helicopters and weapons to perform more human right abuses?
Not having relatively superior weapons will not substantially reduce the alleged human right abuses but it will give the insurgents more advantage to destroy lives and property!

So does the Us really care about the people, they allege are being abused by the NA?
Tell that to barcanista, Egift, donphilus, koboko69, ngeneukwenu, GenBuhari, Gbawe, berem, obiagelli, Mynd44, kelsoft, ISpiksDaTroof.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by femu(m): 7:36pm On Oct 10, 2014
Descartes:
Am sure you know the difference between Democracy and Military ?

A democratic government has even more appeal than a military government.

my point is that despite international sanctions against Abacha he got military support from Libya and north Korea.

The argument that we are unable to procure arms because of American influence is weak.

If we can consult the Chinese for numerous activities why haven't we ordered weapons from them.
Russia is also there as well as numerous countries that will do anything to spite America.

If a militia, rebel group and non-state actors can acquire weapons, why is it difficult for a standard nation?

Besides what kind of GAME CHANGING weapons do you buy with 5million or 9 million dollars?

Also is the government implying that they don't have suppliers for the 1billion dollar loan for military hardware?

1 Like

Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by PhockPhockMan: 8:03pm On Oct 10, 2014
femu:

my point is that despite international sanctions against Abacha he got military support from Libya and north Korea.

The argument that we are unable to procure arms because of American influence is weak.

If we can consult the Chinese for numerous activities why haven't we ordered weapons from them.
Russia is also there as well as numerous countries that will do anything to spite America.

If a militia, rebel group and non-state actors can acquire weapons, why is it difficult for a standard nation?

Besides what kind of GAME CHANGING weapons do you buy with 5million or 9 million dollars?

Also is the government implying that they don't have suppliers for the 1billion dollar loan for military hardware?
Which one billion dollars? Is the money approved yet?
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by Descartes: 8:03pm On Oct 10, 2014
femu:

Hmmm...the case of Syria and Libyan rebels is a different ball game. Russian and USA are super powers and these two nations "secretly" sponsor these terrorist in the giving a helping hand. Anyway I like you post. Very Logical and educating.Thanks.
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by Longeria(m): 8:13pm On Oct 10, 2014
psalmizt:
At least they have confirmed what the FG has been saying about not being able to procure arms....

That said, I don't seem to get the logic in the actions of the All Knowing Americans... Should Boko Haram be allowed to overrun Maiduguri and establish their caliphate? After all that appears to be their new drive. And how is it different from ISIS agenda? Or is there a different set of standards for "black" men?

*Now waiting to see armchair critics*

This explanation by USA is a pain in the neck, so Nigeria Army's war against terrorists is now considered human rights abuses?
smh.

3 Likes

Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by DoctorStephen(m): 8:42pm On Oct 10, 2014
The Nigerian Army should start manufacturing their own arms.
We can end terrorism in Nigeria by ourself like we contained EBOLA despite US' refusal to give us ZMAP.
Re: ARMS BLOCKAGE ; US Explains Officially....... by femu(m): 8:48pm On Oct 10, 2014
PhockPhockMan:
Which one billion dollars? Is the money approved yet?
Yes it has been approved

http://www.channelstv.com/2014/09/25/senate-approves-jonathans-1-billion-loan-to-fight-insurgency/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari To Commission Super Carriage Highway In Cross River State On Tuesday / Corruption Under President Jonathan and Now;compare and contrast.... / Breaking News! Nnamdi Kanu’s Masked Witnesses Are Suspects Awaiting Trial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.