Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,047 members, 7,821,600 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ (42342 Views)

Patience Jonathan Explains How She Made $15m, Says “i Saved For 15 Years” / Buhari Explains What Is On His ‘wish List’ For The G7 / ‘what Do You Call Corruption?’ Patience Jonathan Explains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by ShowYourCertificate: 8:45am On Feb 12, 2015
President Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday clarified what he meant by stealing is not corruption, saying he was quoted out of context.

Responding to questions during a presidential media chat on Wednesday, the President explained that the remark flowed from a discussion he had with a former chief justice of the federation, who told him of how he had to distinguish straight acts of stealing from other forms of corruption he acted upon.

“People who told you I said stealing is not corruption did not tell you I said stealing is good. That is why philosophers say that the primary reason people disagree is because people use one statement to explain two typical things or vice versa.

“I made that statement because I quoted the former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Mustapha, (when) I called a meeting then, with the anti-crime organisations and the judiciary.

“The CJN, Mustapha decided to take a look at the files that dealt with corruption and more than 80 per cent of them were just cases of stealing. But people use corruption to cover all. What I am saying is that let us go to the South-West and go to a typical community and they look at you and say this man is corrupt, people will be looking at you. But call that same man “ole”, that is thief, and see what will happen to him. Our people hate thieves more than corrupt people, yet most times, we use corruption to cover the lapses.

“A thief should be called a thief and treated as such. In my village, when an adult steals, they strip him unclad, humiliate him and his family, but if you say this man is corrupt, they won’t know what you are talking about. We are using corruption to cover it all up.

“So, let us communicate properly. It was not me that said it, I quoted Mustapha. He examined the corruption cases and he saw that they were just cases of stealing.

“We are identifying thieves; we can talk about what the agencies are doing. We have made more convictions in this period than before. But I always say that the answer is not convicting more people. We must make sure that they don’t steal. Do not put the money where they can steal it. That is what we are doing.”
http://www.informationng.com/2015/02/jonathan-explains-stealing-is-not-corruption.html

76 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by ShowYourCertificate: 8:45am On Feb 12, 2015
This is what happens when an opposition is illiterate and without certificate. How can you say stealing is corruption? So it means armed robbers are corrupt? SMH

EFCC prosecutes those who steal while ICPC prosecutes those who are corrupt. It's a simple knowledge but our certificateless Buhari find it hard to comprehend grin

[size=25pt]#BuhariShowYourCertificate[/size]

233 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by Nobody: 8:48am On Feb 12, 2015
Stealing is an aspect of corruption, corruption is wider dan stealing. Wad he mmeant was simple and easy to pick. Forging of certificate is corruption, buh dey don't know cos dey just bias and blind towards d truth, lying under oath is corruption, so stop painting buhari as a saint, he stole $2.8billion under his watch wen he was ptf chairman dat fela sang abt. He killed corpers in d 2011 election periods, his foundation is built on tinubu. Can anytin good come out of d asiwaju of corruption? Even d so called pastor was annoited by tinubu, I just pity his life, he shld ask bakare how d minstry is today?

157 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by englishmart(m): 8:48am On Feb 12, 2015
stealing isn't corruption. No problem.
But corruption is stealing.... grin

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by dealslip(f): 8:48am On Feb 12, 2015
Let whoever wins take his rightful position in Aso Rock. Whatever be the case do not help to heat up the polity. This politicians we always clamour for dont have our interest at heart. When the violence start, they and their children will flee to fortification while the military men will be wasting the lives of Nigerians. Recall the Nigerian civil war, the principal actors lived to ripe age. Gowon is almost 80 and Ojukwu died at the ripe age of 78 leaving inheritance for his children but do not forget that 3 million people lost their lives on both sides. Their death was in vain as the politicians reconcilled and many are now great friends and they are still ruling us. Their children have equally joined in ruling us. if not why would the children, wife, inlaw, nephew of Tinubu, Obanikoro, Lai Mohammed, Abacha, Ibori, Osoba, Igbinedon etc have the nerves to even pick up any form from INEC. Let us be wise, vote for your candidate and move on. We have never voted anyone that will please us for even a term, before the tenure ends we will start screaming and shouting for another. Politicians are not your messiah. We are the ones to drop our selfishness, materialism, hatred, insensitivity and wickedness towards another. Our division is greatly helping their own agenda. As long as we are divided we will always be at the loosing end. A house divided against itself will never stand. What they owe us is infrastructures, security and proper resource control. It is not theirs to help us define our heritage, an Hausa man is not better than all the other 250 tribes and vice versa. We are first human before we recognise any tribe or nation what we owe each other is love. We are not different in anyway except our mindset. It is not theirs to help us discover religion, it is supposed to be between us and our God. Religion is a personal thing, as long as it works for us. God is the judge not us or them. Please keep yourselves safe, you too can rule one day.

197 Likes 37 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by Nobody: 8:50am On Feb 12, 2015
This is the total truth and by this I stand to say " Tinubu and Amaechi are not corrupt but a THIEVES" , quote me anywhere and GMB cannot fight thieves using thieves cool

102 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by KwoiZabo(m): 8:54am On Feb 12, 2015
Even the London court that tried Ibori agrees 100% with The President. Ibori is a common thief.

GEJtill2019

130 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by dgr8truth(m): 8:58am On Feb 12, 2015
GEJ may not be perfect but his perfection outclassed the collective perfection of all our ex presidents and HoSs. GEJ is so accommodating to our insult and bitter criticism.

#GEJtill2019 for those that their longevity depends on criticising GEJ unnecessary.

Corruption is not stealing but stealing is corruption. That is the point the president is making but some skewed mind will not see it so.

#GEJTillThereIsABetterChoiceIn2019.

84 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by clevvermind(m): 8:59am On Feb 12, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
This is what happens when an opposition is illiterate and without certificate. How can you say stealing is corruption? So it means armed robbers are corrupt? SMH

EFCC prosecutes those who steal while ICPC prosecutes those who are corrupt. It's a simple knowledge but our certificateless Buhari find it hard to comprehend grin

[size=25pt]#BuhariShowYourCertificate[/size]
apc is full of illiterate people. it is a pity.

78 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by Nobody: 9:02am On Feb 12, 2015
“A thief should be called a thief and treated as such. In my village, when an adult steals, they strip him unclad, humiliate him and his family, but if you say this man is corrupt, they won’t know what you are talking about. We are using corruption to cover it all up.

Alamesia came from your area. He was stripped by Obj for stealing but you went ahead to grant him a presidential pardon same with Kashamu who has a trial in the US and Bode Tewonde George who stole money in NPA and also benfitted from your presidential madness.

Something is wrong with you sir !

94 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by clevvermind(m): 9:03am On Feb 12, 2015
KwoiZabo:
Even the London court that tried Ibori agrees 100% with The President. Ibori is a common thief.

GEJtill2019
illiteracy is a disease. apc is just infecting everybody with their illiteracy disease.smh.

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by Oahray: 9:05am On Feb 12, 2015
englishmart:
stealing isn't corruption. No problem.
But corruption is stealing.... grin
smh... My fellow Nigerians can disappoint me sha. Instead of reading to understand what he meant and see if there's any sense in it, you just post the first thing that enters your head.

Theft and corruption are both acts of dishonesty, but they are not exactly the same. Theft can only be corruption when it involves abuse of office, else, it is just theft.

Too bad he had to explain himself. It's a shame that even after explaining, there would still be some like you who have no idea what's happening. To think these same persons call the president 'clueless' sad

82 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by englishmart(m): 9:14am On Feb 12, 2015
Oahray:
smh... My fellow Nigerians can disappoint me sha. Instead of reading to understand what he meant and see if there's any sense in it, you just post the first thing that enters your head.

Theft and corruption are both acts of dishonesty, but they are not exactly the same. Theft can only be corruption when it involves abuse of office, else, it is just theft.

Too bad he had to explain himself. It's a shame that even after explaining, there would still be some like you who have no idea what's happening. To think these same persons call the president 'clueless' sad
you didn't post anything

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by Nobody: 9:15am On Feb 12, 2015
Same old bullcrap.....justification of stewpidity

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by sod09(m): 9:19am On Feb 12, 2015
wen d clueless one is still d president.....
stealing is not corruption
this man no day think b4 opening his mouth
like husband like wife grin

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by dharay99: 9:20am On Feb 12, 2015
T

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by Nobody: 9:20am On Feb 12, 2015
Thanks for the explaining....but stealing is still the same thing as corruption.

Either way....someone loses kudi!

15 Likes

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by Hoba007: 9:20am On Feb 12, 2015
Ops, You are just as stupid and clueless as your president, the question you need to ask yourself what is the meaning or definition of the world 'corruption', which means 'dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery', what is the definition of 'stealing' it means; taking (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it. All these babbling and mumbling of the sadistic bastard just to safe face isn't working. There are only three types of people that would vote for the clueless one, the hypocrites, their types have being with us for centuries, God didn't speak well of the hypocrites, the Evil doers, those ones are the corrupts politicians, corrupt Nigerians, the drug dealers they know if buhari becomes the president is longer business as usual for them and lastly, the stupid ones and they constitutes 90% of the people supporting the clueless one, reason a state governor would say he knows the president has done nothing for his people but he would still vote for him. If you sat down and watched the rambling of the clueless one on Tv yesterday and you are convince about what he said about differentiating corruption from stealing, then you are part of that 90%.

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by j4sure(m): 9:20am On Feb 12, 2015
NA TRUE

JONA SAYING THE TRUE SINCE 1908

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by phollybee(m): 9:21am On Feb 12, 2015
and who said this Foolish man deserves a second Term?

25 Likes

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by DrPrickson: 9:21am On Feb 12, 2015
Since APC started twisting "Stealing is not corruption" ,I have tried all I could to explain what GEJ was saying, but alas their hate for our president wouldn't allow them reason.

A thief is a thief!! Why must we dress it up with something less deteriorating? I bet our "tif tif" politicians will prefer to be labelled as corrupt rather that being called a thief. We should not accord them such luxury.

It is now clear that our president and his team are very intelligent set of people. While our "change" crusaders are indeed clueless and well as ill-educated (their Professor included).

When men like Tinubu and Amaechi lot the treasury of their states dry, they should be called thieves.
When a man like Buhari lie under oath and then forge certificate he should be called Corrupt.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by Babaneh(m): 9:21am On Feb 12, 2015
why is this otuoke man trying all possible means to convince me... I have decided already... Hail the General...

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by klem93(m): 9:21am On Feb 12, 2015
Lets call a thief a thief the way we call a spade a spade right?

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by BlackPeni5: 9:21am On Feb 12, 2015
Finally

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by free2ryhme: 9:21am On Feb 12, 2015
grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by thefakestan: 9:21am On Feb 12, 2015
We've been expecting this

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by siraj1402(m): 9:22am On Feb 12, 2015
I'm still not satisfy with one thing.Why is our president avoiding using corruption for diversion of fertilizer when anyone involved will be handed over to EFCC or ICPC and someone involving in brogued into house,pocket and bags will be handed over to police for stealing?

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by Drdaps(m): 9:22am On Feb 12, 2015
Oduah and co that's stealing not corruption angry

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by Sharon6(f): 9:23am On Feb 12, 2015
Go and explain that to Otuoke people.

OYA, CHECK MY SIGNATURE!!

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ by bastien: 9:23am On Feb 12, 2015
U dey mind dem, carry go sai Jonathan

12 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Obasanjo In Igbo Attire, Poses With Igbo Leaders (Photo) / PDP Senators Kick As Buhari Fails To Submit List Of Ministers - Vanguard / Boss Mustapha, Other Attendees Of Kyari’s Burial Refuse To Self-Isolate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.