Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,073 members, 7,818,203 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. (24637 Views)

Febrile Rash Illnesses Hits Lagos Community, 20 Killed So Far / Governor Ganduje Destroys Illegal Drugs And Expired Food Items. Photos / Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 31, 2014
very controversial topic,well me I take drugs because I believe,its not a sin and also because people have said God told dem to study medicine,so if God says somone should study medicine its because dey hav a purpose and wot is d purpose of a Doctor!!!to care for the sick and deliver pple of their babies and so on,bt also we should nt rule out faith cos faith make tins happen more than drugs.

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by rinrin23(f): 1:12pm On Oct 31, 2014
timmy2409:

Faith + Works = Results
Works - Faith = Results
Faith - Works = FAIL

Have you seen the failure rate of WAEC candidates lately?. I doubt these folks would even understand this simple equation.

2 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by chrisviral(m): 1:13pm On Oct 31, 2014
otswag:
Religion has tipped people into making bad choices that has cost many lives. We see men of God preaching that seeking medical intervention when one is ill means one has no faith in God. Unfortunately, people listen and then are rushed into the hospital when it becomes an emergency and start expecting drs to perform miracles. We see patients leaving the hosptl for a prayer house like it is not possible for them to get healed while on admission except d pastor lays his hands on them. We fail to realize that the church is a body of people under Christ, not building structures where people worship. Apart from religion,superstitious nature of Nigerians is causing more harm than good and unfortunately, Nigerians take the opinions of relatives and friends alot more seriously than what the Dr says.

How many men of God have you come across preaching that?
NL and lies, msheeeew
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by rinrin23(f): 1:14pm On Oct 31, 2014
eleojo23:
I had to create this topic because of something that happened recently.

Mr. Kunle, a man I know, contracted tuberculosis early this year. He died few days ago because he refused medical attention until when it became too late (as I later found out from one of his co-workers). Tuberculosis is treatable (the drugs are free) but when not properly handled through early diagnosis and drug therapy, it could lead to death. It is a disease that no one should die of if proper medical treatments are employed but Mr. Kunle died because he refused to go for treatment on time.

This is one of many of such cases where people refuse medical treatment.
The reason that most of them give (in the Nigerian society for instance) apart from the expenses involved is that they have 'faith' that the sickness will go away.
Some people discontinue their medication with the belief that a miracle will occur. No doubt, miracles do occur but one should not stop taking his medication because of that.
My aunt has a heart disease and she is believing God for healing but that does not mean that she should stop taking her medication.
Some people neglect symptoms of illness in their bodies and say 'nothing will happen' and they refuse to go for medical check-up. But before they know it, a lot has happened and they are down with a serious illness.
Others tell themselves that they are now well even when the sickness is still evident.
There are people who have been placed on a diet because of an existing medical condition but they keep on eating what they should not eat hoping that 'nothing will happen'

A lady had cancer but she kept having 'faith' that it would go away when she knew her faith wasn't strong. By strong faith I mean a strong conviction that circumstances will definitely change. She eventually had to go for chemotherapy but by that time, the cancer had already reached the metastatic stage where the treatment could hardly be of much help to her. She could have delayed the course of the disease and prolonged her life if she had sought for medical help on time.

Let me state clearly that I am not against relying on divine healing. What I'm saying is that God can use anything including drugs to bring your healing.

There are many people who have died untimely due to this practice. People who can hardly trust God for little things instantly become 'faith giants' and refuse medical help when they have life-threatening illnesses. The outcome is usually not good. You don't have to insist on walking on foot when a car is available to take you to your destination.

Thank God for divine healing. In fact, I've witnessed it before. But please if your faith is not strong enough (by the way, what some people have is not even faith, they just live in denial), it is not a bad thing to go for medical treatment. It may be where the solution to your problem lies.

Know when to seek medical help. If you feel that this is against your religious orientation, you may want to have a rethink.

The earth is the Lord's and its fullness including drugs and medical procedures.
God did not allow all these medical breakthroughs we've had over the past century and decades for nothing.
Please as much as you can afford it, avail yourself of the numerous medical help that is available today. There are many deaths that would have been prevented if people sought for medical help on time.

Let me make this clear once again, I have not condemned faith healing neither have I put Medicine on a pedestal.
My point is, God is able to heal people divinely but please do not rule out medical intervention.

Everything is at God's disposal to use and that includes medicines/drugs. So, don't hesitate to visit a health care professional when you need help. Your family and loved ones still need you around (alive) for a long time. smiley

Do you know anyone like Mr Kunle? Counsel and encourage such a person to seek medical help today.

Stay healthy.

I believe people that die this way do so for a good cause. In the end they are used as examples to educate the public. So Mr. Kunle didn't die in vain. Thank you for using his story. Hopefully lives would be saved from this.

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by surrogatesng: 1:16pm On Oct 31, 2014
Very true indeed
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 31, 2014
[size=15pt]The HealthGrades report said that "the incidence rate of medical harm occurring is estimated to be over 40,000 each and EVERY day according to the Institute for Healthcare Improvement."[/size]

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/02/04/death-by-medicine-an-update.aspx

But it does not necessarily means that one should neglect medicate attention, but if anyone choose to go without drugs, let it be, many have taken the drugs and they died in the Hospital while still taking the drugs, many also have choose not to take the drugs and they are still living.

Man should be flexible enough to LEARN, RE-LEARN and UNLEARN.

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 31, 2014
timmy2409:

Faith + Works = Results
Works - Faith = Results
Faith - Works = FAIL

it does not follow here please, the use of drugs [size=13pt]is NOT[/size] the Works of FAITH
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 31, 2014
I was a fool one time too..billed for surgery but preferred to seek divine healing went to a so called healing school run by one very popular Church. after the whole three weeks nothing happened even after the G.O met me. I was even asked to come on Tv to claim healing which I did because there, once you attend, at the end of the 3 week program you must come on camera to testify in 'faith'. I had to finally have the surgery done but by then doctors were refusing to operate me. It was one consultant who was bold enough to take the risk. Boy, I bleed seriously during surgery several pints of blood were used. I survived by a miracle. Its not a sin to seek medical attention when one is sick. Though I believe God heals i have experienced God' s power but not because you went to a particular 'man of God'

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by donLEXY(m): 1:29pm On Oct 31, 2014
shocked Tell me you r not talking about me cos my name is Kunle, though I am in the medical field grin

The man down with appendicitis, is that really an Hosspital? That place looks like a danger zone, pls leave there as quickly as you can.

@ Post.... As much as opinions is something one should take into consideration, ignoramus is the order of the day in Nigeria. We seriously need to re-orientate people, not by words alone, we should take some people to the lab and let them see with their eyes how this bugs works in our system.... Help your neighbor who is ignorant and safe a life

'Quick, what is the number for Nine one one' that is an example of cluelessness
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by otswag(m): 1:32pm On Oct 31, 2014
chrisviral:

How many men of God have you come across preaching that?
NL and lies, msheeeew
do u reside in Nigeria at all? If yes, u shouldn't be asking me that question. Have u met every existing pastor in nigeria? Stop talking like u have. I have had a personal experience with one myself and i have had patients who have been told this so its not here say.

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by msmon(m): 1:33pm On Oct 31, 2014
Let me read the story again. Brb!

In other news, barely 12 year after he sang 'Nigeria jaga jaga', Eidris Abdulkarim said Nigeria is no more jaga jaga.
www.nairaland.com/1974978/nigeria-no-more-jaga-jaga-eedris

AND

Stephen Keshi said he's yet to decide on eagles return.
www.nairaland.com/1974973/im-yet-decide-eagles-return

LASTLY

President Jonathan reads while Nigerians are asleep (Pictures)
www.nairaland.com/1975531/president-jonathan-reads-during-bed
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by CANTICLES: 1:38pm On Oct 31, 2014
Nice one @ op .... Av chated wih a lot of so-called born - agains who frankly tell me " its people who have no faith and Jesus in their lives that visit hospital" can u imagine ?? Anyway is online tinz , dey can purchase paracetamol and com back online to utter another thing ......... I Notice Something On This Thread ? Do U ? Read The comments and u will discover that people dont wanna die !!! If afterlife duplicate exists , people will be willing to die ! Everyone Agrees With Dis Fact " the living know that they will die 'BUT as for the Dead, they know NOTHING at all' ... For there is no knowledge nor wisdom in the GRAVE where you are going" Ecclesises 9:5,10
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by gidzy(m): 1:49pm On Oct 31, 2014
To boost your intelligence on ICT click here www.gidzynbrainboost..com
Stay updated with BRAINboost for daily lessons all on ICT

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by arsetalks(m): 1:49pm On Oct 31, 2014
xcelsia:
I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion in this life, for some people, they have enough faith in divine healing which works for them. Different strokes for different folks, what works for Mr A can kill Mr B.

I combine prayers with medical help, some people don't believe in God and therefore don't believe in prayers. Regardless of what the case may be, I think people should be allowed to do whatever makes them happy.

If someone depends on divine healing only and sees it's not working, he/she should remember the part of the bible that says faith without works is dead. All you have to do is advice them and tell them the consequences of their refusal to seek medical help, if they refuse then you move on, life is too short.

Except the individual is a child in need of guidance, we need to let adults do whatever they want to do. If they only want to pray, seek only medical help or combine both, it's their business, life goes on.

We all have one life to live, focus on what makes you happy and please move on.
Let's not get it twisted, this is not faith. Even the bible said "faith without work is dead". GOD also created the leaves and herbs and said it is for our use.

Some have simply been brainwashed.
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by koikoi2(m): 1:52pm On Oct 31, 2014
My dear op, there ar certain illnesses dat can defy modern medicine. There is physical sickness and spiritual sickness. Evil forces can send u cancer,tuberculosis, epilepsy, barenness, HIV,etc dat ar incurable. Only God can heal such cases.

If modern medicine can cure all sicknesses, then YarAdua wudnt hv died, Dora Akunyili wudnt hv died either.

So let us be careful, pray for God's healing wen we sick while taking our medication also.
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by koikoi2(m): 1:52pm On Oct 31, 2014
My dear op, there ar certain illnesses dat can defy modern medicine. There is physical sickness and spiritual sickness. Evil forces can send u cancer,tuberculosis, epilepsy, barenness, HIV,etc dat ar incurable. Only God can heal such cases.

If modern medicine can cure all sicknesses, then YarAdua wudnt hv died, Dora Akunyili wudnt hv died either.

So let us be careful, pray for God's healing wen we are sick while taking our medication also.
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by ademega(m): 1:55pm On Oct 31, 2014
Ignorance kills faster than anything in ds life . Some will not believe it hurts to knock ur head against the wall until they try it out .
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Kay17: 1:57pm On Oct 31, 2014
Modern Science has destroyed the old almighty images we once had of God. To tell the Truth, the almighty God has been reduced to this individual that likely dispenses healings and miracles via the hospital bed. Where is that almighty being that created the Universe and can heal any disease with a single touch. Such a being is no more. He is effectively dead. The more Science understands our bodies and the Universe, the less we need from God.

I do not mean to provocative but the truth is: Faith is dying. And we should admit it.

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by o2k(m): 1:57pm On Oct 31, 2014
Truth be told, Mr kunle is a far better christian than the OP. Mr kunle put his faith in God until death.
Sometimes i wonder, why are christians so afraid to die afterall the preaching on ETERNAL LIFE

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Nursy(f): 1:57pm On Oct 31, 2014
Wow! Exactly the thread I wanted to create.

Back to the topic: I have seen many cases like that and it really annoys me.
There's is this 27yrs old lady who was pregnant and was advised on caesarian section because her baby was lying transversely but refused. She was then taking by her mother and mother-in-law to imam's place when she was in labour for prayers so she could deliver on her own. Do you know she was there for abt 6days (not too sure) and was rushed to the hospital where I work cos she was rejected in the hospital that had earlier suggested caesarian section. My MD who is a gynaecologist initially didn't want to take her because her uterus had ruptured but with pleas from the family members, she accepted and did emergency surgery where the dead foetus and the ruptured uterus were removed.
Now she doesn't have a uterus and won't be able to have more children (luckily she has a child) and she just got to know that she doesn't have a uterus recently. Thank God she didn't even die.

So many cases we see in the hospital where people will be rushed in at the late hour and be expecting magic to happen.

Having Faith is good but make sure u tell ur family members not to rush u to the hospital when the worse happens, so that ur faith will be complete. Shikena!

3 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Kay17: 2:00pm On Oct 31, 2014
koikoi2:

So let us be careful, pray for God's healing wen we sick while taking our medication also.

I will sum up your post in one question: Can you wholeheartedly rely on God alone to cure from HIV or cancer or malaria without any resort to modern medicine?

Besides what is left of spiritual sickness. Because they are now classified as multiple personality disorder, cerebral malaria, psychosis, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc.

Faith has become a superstition.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by SStoneCCold: 2:05pm On Oct 31, 2014
pring:

Nigerians now have family pastors instead of a family doctor.
Epic!
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Nursy(f): 2:07pm On Oct 31, 2014
o2k:
Truth be told, Mr kunle is a far better christian than the OP. Mr kunle put his faith in God until death.
Sometimes i wonder, why are christians so afraid to die afterall the preaching on ETERNAL LIFE
some will say they have faith but when their conditions become worse they will rush to the hospital.
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by adconline(m): 2:11pm On Oct 31, 2014
In Naija, God's intervention is the only solution sought without exhausting all possible human solutions. In developed countries, God's intervention is the last solution after all possible human solutions have been exhausted.. In Naija, we overwork and overload God with out responsibilities.
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by MizMyColi(f): 2:13pm On Oct 31, 2014
Their Life, Their Choice.
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by darlenese(f): 2:14pm On Oct 31, 2014
Nice one, but wen it comes to cancer, Hmmn it's better one hopes for a miracle. because such cases cannot be handled successfully in Nigeria, they claim early detection is d solution bt it's a fat lie, I know several persons who detected lump in their br**st, ran to the hospital for treatment early enof. But at the end of the day angry they still lost their lives. So I do nt blame Pple who run to church instead of going to the hospital. I'm only respondin to the cancer issue the op mentioned, cos i've lived with a cancer patient in the hospital 4 good 3months.
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by joywendy(f): 2:16pm On Oct 31, 2014
koikoi2:
[s]My dear op, there ar certain illnesses dat can defy modern medicine. There is physical sickness and spiritual sickness. Evil forces can send u cancer,tuberculosis, epilepsy, barenness, HIV,etc dat ar incurable. Only God can heal such cases.

If modern medicine can cure all sicknesses, then YarAdua wudnt hv died, Dora Akunyili wudnt hv died either. [/s]

So let us be careful, pray for God's healing wen we are sick while taking our medication also.

Better grin

@bold that's the only sensible thing you have said through out this your post.

2 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by dokunbam(m): 2:17pm On Oct 31, 2014
When you tell such people to be conscious of their health, their to reply will be 'it is something that will kill them oo'

just be conscious of your health, visit you doctor/ physician if there is any symptoms of sickness

Regular check ups will make you understand your health status and take charge of it
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Lanrefreshkid: 2:19pm On Oct 31, 2014
Faith!! Killing fools since 1st century AD.

If someone died cos his/her religion tells em its a sin to use drug..My brother in the Lord..Thats 'Suicide'.

I know of a person that died of Stomach ulcer cos despite the abdominal pain he still insisted in fasting until it went out of hands..Probably they might ve told him it was the pain that God needs to answer his prayers...lol

Meanwhile thier G.Os, pastors and the rest fly out of the country in a private jet just cos of headache.

una better no kill unaself.
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by SexyRihanna(f): 2:19pm On Oct 31, 2014
AdeniyiA:
when i hear people say "i hand you over to God" after being offended ,i ask myself this, did they truly hand d person over to God even though they can punish/deal with the person? or they did because they don't have the wherewithal to revenge?
In other words, if i have the money to treat myself, will i still believe in faith healing,? or i believe in faith healing because i've got no money?
Actions are judged based on reasons/motives
read ur bible daily to answer urself
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by samhay: 2:22pm On Oct 31, 2014
GT N7200 China fone built in form samsung note3
8.0mp camera.

Command-Abule egba,Lagos.

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Janetozi(f): 2:23pm On Oct 31, 2014
Divine healing happens to both believer and unbeliever alike.

John: 4 vs 48 then said Jesus unto him, except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

Though, divine healing comes by faith but what is faith without action?

You are expecting divine healing from God and all u do all night is to sleep, you don't pray. U are only depending on the prayer made to by ur pastor. U go old
Psalm 119 vs 62 At midnight i will rise to give thanks unto thee because of ur righteous judgements.

When the faith of the person expecting divine healing is not enough, he shouldn just seek medical help.

Something, if ur faith is not strong and the faith of the pastor or person praying for u is strong, your healing is sure.

There is the case of a woman i know, she have 5 children and she is pregnant with her sixth child. She went to scan and was told that what she is carrying is a baby girl and she wasn't happy with that, because she is having problem with her husband family member because of giving birth to only girl.

Her pregnancy is 6 month gone when i invited her to a church program which she attended hesitantly. After the program i persuade her to see my pastor with hope that God will do something. She disagree, her reason being that the pregnancy is already 6 month gone and the last scan show that she is having a baby girl.

The last day of the program she agreed and went and tell my pastor her problem and the pastor asked her if she believe that God can do it, her reply said otherwise. And my pastor told her "by my faith, u will deliver a baby boy" he prayed with her that day, two days later she went to confirm from hospital if God has done it.

She when for scan and was told by the doctor that they saw every part of the baby's body apart from the part that show whether the bay is a boy or girl.

She went back to my pastor to complain but my pastor told her to have rest of mind, believe in God and stop going to Scan until she deliver, but she wasn't comfortable. She keeps going to scan and keep receiving same result until she got tired.

The day she delivered, she delivered a baby boy not that she have faith in God but the person prayin for her does.

Another is the case of a girl that was healed of sickle cell anemia during ministration.

So the facts that some people die of whatever sickness and diseases while expecting divine healing from God does not mean we shouldn't ask, pray or be expecting divine healing form God.

And sometimes our faith fail us because we don't back-it up with fervent prayer.

And still, medical help is also good, God created herbs for the Good on mankind.if u faith is not strong, seek medical help.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

100 New COVID-19 Cases, 91 Discharged And 3 Deaths On Sept 6 - (2,086 Tested) / Man Dies In LUTH As Staff Couldn't Find Person With Key To Oxygen Room / COVID-19: FG To Assist Kano Manage Situation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.