Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,697 members, 7,809,637 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:21 PM

Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. (24617 Views)

Febrile Rash Illnesses Hits Lagos Community, 20 Killed So Far / Governor Ganduje Destroys Illegal Drugs And Expired Food Items. Photos / Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by eleojo23: 5:54pm On Oct 10, 2014
I had to create this topic because of something that happened recently.

Mr. Kunle, a man I know, contracted tuberculosis early this year. He died few days ago because he refused medical attention until when it became too late (as I later found out from one of his co-workers). Tuberculosis is treatable (the drugs are free) but when not properly handled through early diagnosis and drug therapy, it could lead to death. It is a disease that no one should die of if proper medical treatments are employed but Mr. Kunle died because he refused to go for treatment on time.

This is one of many of such cases where people refuse medical treatment.
The reason that most of them give (in the Nigerian society for instance) apart from the expenses involved is that they have 'faith' that the sickness will go away.
Some people discontinue their medication with the belief that a miracle will occur. No doubt, miracles do occur but one should not stop taking his medication because of that.
My aunt has a heart disease and she is believing God for healing but that does not mean that she should stop taking her medication.
Some people neglect symptoms of illness in their bodies and say 'nothing will happen' and they refuse to go for medical check-up. But before they know it, a lot has happened and they are down with a serious illness.
Others tell themselves that they are now well even when the sickness is still evident.
There are people who have been placed on a diet because of an existing medical condition but they keep on eating what they should not eat hoping that 'nothing will happen'

A lady had cancer but she kept having 'faith' that it would go away when she knew her faith wasn't strong. By strong faith I mean a strong conviction that circumstances will definitely change. She eventually had to go for chemotherapy but by that time, the cancer had already reached the metastatic stage where the treatment could hardly be of much help to her. She could have delayed the course of the disease and prolonged her life if she had sought for medical help on time.

Let me state clearly that I am not against relying on divine healing. What I'm saying is that God can use anything including drugs to bring your healing.

There are many people who have died untimely due to this practice. People who can hardly trust God for little things instantly become 'faith giants' and refuse medical help when they have life-threatening illnesses. The outcome is usually not good. You don't have to insist on walking on foot when a car is available to take you to your destination.

Thank God for divine healing. In fact, I've witnessed it before. But please if your faith is not strong enough (by the way, what some people have is not even faith, they just live in denial), it is not a bad thing to go for medical treatment. It may be where the solution to your problem lies.

Know when to seek medical help. If you feel that this is against your religious orientation, you may want to have a rethink.

The earth is the Lord's and its fullness including drugs and medical procedures.
God did not allow all these medical breakthroughs we've had over the past century and decades for nothing.
Please as much as you can afford it, avail yourself of the numerous medical help that is available today. There are many deaths that would have been prevented if people sought for medical help on time.

Let me make this clear once again, I have not condemned faith healing neither have I put Medicine on a pedestal.
My point is, God is able to heal people divinely but please do not rule out medical intervention.

Everything is at God's disposal to use and that includes medicines/drugs. So, don't hesitate to visit a health care professional when you need help. Your family and loved ones still need you around (alive) for a long time. smiley

Do you know anyone like Mr Kunle? Counsel and encourage such a person to seek medical help today.

Stay healthy.

111 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by eleojo23: 5:55pm On Oct 10, 2014
Your contributions to this somewhat 'controversial topic' are welcome. And to clarify issues, the God being referred to in the original post isn't just the God of Christians, it applies to whatever deity you believe in. People have faith in different deities.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by thegoodone2(m): 6:13pm On Oct 10, 2014
good
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by AdeniyiA(m): 7:23pm On Oct 10, 2014
when i hear people say "i hand you over to God" after being offended ,i ask myself this, did they truly hand d person over to God even though they can punish/deal with the person? or they did because they don't have the wherewithal to revenge?
In other words, if i have the money to treat myself, will i still believe in faith healing,? or i believe in faith healing because i've got no money?
Actions are judged based on reasons/motives

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by eleojo23: 8:08pm On Oct 10, 2014
Sometimes it's not about the cost of treatment. For instance, anti-retroviral and anti-tuberculosis drugs are free. There is also subsidy on some (essential)drugs due to the National Health Insurance Scheme.

5 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by AdeniyiA(m): 9:25pm On Oct 10, 2014
eleojo23:
Sometimes it's not about the cost of treatment. For instance, anti-retroviral and anti-tuberculosis drugs are free. There is also subsidy on some (essential)drugs due to national health insurance scheme.
yes sometimes it's about d price of knowledge which they refused to pay, then they gain ignorance which is deadly nd eventually kills them ...

3 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by eleojo23: 1:34am On Oct 11, 2014
I need more contributions on this topic

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Nobody: 2:58am On Oct 11, 2014
Good post.

3 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Nobody: 3:53am On Oct 11, 2014
I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion in this life, for some people, they have enough faith in divine healing which works for them. Different strokes for different folks, what works for Mr A can kill Mr B.

I combine prayers with medical help, some people don't believe in God and therefore don't believe in prayers. Regardless of what the case may be, I think people should be allowed to do whatever makes them happy.

If someone depends on divine healing only and sees it's not working, he/she should remember the part of the bible that says faith without works is dead. All you have to do is advice them and tell them the consequences of their refusal to seek medical help, if they refuse then you move on, life is too short.

Except the individual is a child in need of guidance, we need to let adults do whatever they want to do. If they only want to pray, seek only medical help or combine both, it's their business, life goes on.

We all have one life to live, focus on what makes you happy and please move on.

9 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by eleojo23: 4:43am On Oct 11, 2014
^^True, it should not be anybody's business how someone handles his illness. It's just that some people are misguided and you can't help but be concerned about the consequences of their actions on their loved ones and people around them. .

3 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Babafaros(m): 9:35am On Oct 11, 2014
My people die because of lack of knowledge.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by eleojo23: 4:41pm On Oct 11, 2014
True
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by eleojo23: 3:25am On Oct 12, 2014
More comments..
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by eleojo23: 7:09am On Oct 12, 2014
Treat your illnesses properly

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Nobody: 1:37pm On Oct 12, 2014
Exactly.. Am postn dis from my hospital bed nw..I didn't wana come but I almost lost my life yestrnyt..currently at ubth,I guess its appendicitis..

8 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by eleojo23: 5:36pm On Oct 12, 2014
SuperMartins:
Exactly.. Am postn dis from my hospital bed nw..I didn't wana come but I almost lost my life yestrnyt..currently at ubth,I guess its appendicitis..
Get well soon smiley

40 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by eleojo23: 4:14am On Oct 13, 2014
Please move this topic to the frontpage. Thank you.
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by anonimi: 8:56am On Oct 13, 2014
eleojo23:
Greetings Mynd44, please move this topic to the frontpage. Thank you.

That is not likely to happen as this is a "click-driven" chat forum.
Better to use the "share" button and hope others will also further share the thread as I and three others have done so far.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by eleojo23: 9:02am On Oct 13, 2014
anonimi:

That is not likely to happen as this is a "click-driven" chat forum.
Better to use the "share" button and hope others will also further share the thread as I and three others have done so far.
Ok. Thanks for the advice.
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by anonimi: 9:52am On Oct 13, 2014
eleojo23:
Ok. Thanks for the advice.

You are very welcome.....just wanted to share my observation on how this forum runs, which is understandable. We all need to pay our bills, don't we? wink
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by vikel2104: 1:32am On Oct 16, 2014
Very much in line.
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by 2cato: 2:46am On Oct 16, 2014
@op not all tubarcolis infection can be cured. Their are natural strains which can be cured with drugs or herb over a long peroid of time while their are synthetic strains which can never be cured by any known drug excpt by miracle from God.
May God help us and protect us from such dieases.

2 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by eleojo23: 5:34am On Oct 16, 2014
2cato:
@op not all tubarcolis infection can be cured. Their are natural strains which can be cured with drugs or herb over a long peroid of time while their are synthetic strains which can never be cured by any known drug excpt by miracle from God.
May God help us and protect us from such dieases.
True, there are cases of totally drug resistant TB which have been recorded in india (I do not know whether it is synthetic or natural). But the strains that are rampant in Africa are drug- susceptible and with proper drug therapy, chances of success of treatment are high. However, the focus of this thread is not on tuberculosis but on the need to properly handle illnesses (whatever it may be)

3 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by vikel2104: 3:36am On Oct 17, 2014
This is an enlightening topic, please move it to the frontpage. Thanks
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by vikel2104: 4:57pm On Oct 19, 2014
I have heard of similar cases like that of Mr. Kunle. People need proper orientation on the importance of drugs
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by hydeka: 3:11am On Oct 21, 2014
Good post.
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by vikel2104: 5:29am On Oct 21, 2014
Please do the needful. Thank you.
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by vikel2104: 7:06am On Oct 21, 2014
ok
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by hydeka: 5:13am On Oct 22, 2014
brb
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by eleojo23: 5:07am On Oct 29, 2014
More contributions
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by hydeka: 6:02am On Oct 31, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Expectant Mum Suffers Womb Rupture In Police Cell (photos) / 8-Year-Old Orphan Dies Of HIV In Borno IDP Camp (Photo) / 100 New COVID-19 Cases, 91 Discharged And 3 Deaths On Sept 6 - (2,086 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.