Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,163 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:15 PM

"How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question (70777 Views)

This Type Of Resume Can Get You Interview Invites. Stand Out!!! / This Type Of Resume Can Get You Interview Invites. Stand Out!!! / Why Do You Want Us To Employ You? Interview Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

"How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 9:03am On Oct 11, 2014
The most controversial interview question that has cost many job applicants their dream jobs is "how much do we pay you" question, though it comes in many twists.

Now my experienced nairalanders who hv successfully crossed this huddle should please tell us how best to answer this question.... HR managers/personnels, we really need your immense help. Thanks!

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by genchukky(m): 9:55am On Oct 11, 2014
The simple answer is,there is a particular salary structure for every department in a company,so when you are asked the question,tell your interviewer that the post you are seeking for has a payment structure the company offers and you will be ok accepting that plan............but make sure u have an idea of the salary structure before going for the interview..I think this deserves frontpage......

71 Likes 13 Shares

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Nobody: 10:42am On Oct 11, 2014
genchukky:
The simple answer is,there is a particular salary structure for every department in a company,so when you are asked the question,tell your interviewer that the post you are seeking for has a payment structure the company offers and you will be ok accepting that plan............but make sure u have an idea of the salary structure before going for the interview..
I have an interview in an advertising and marketing communications firm next week. I have research on the pay structure for an entry level in the field but no possible idea. Would it be wrong if I mention 90k-100k as my pay? Thanks!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 10:54am On Oct 11, 2014
genchukky:
The simple answer is,there is a particular salary structure for every department in a company,so when you are asked the question,tell your interviewer that the post you are seeking for has a payment structure the company offers and you will be ok accepting that plan............but make sure u have an idea of the salary structure before going for the interview..

Thanks for the contribution. However, there are occasions where one's researches on salary structure for a particular position are unavailable. What do you do?

1 Like

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 11:05am On Oct 11, 2014
You are welcome there VIEWER but dont just view or FOLLOW the thread. If you hv helpful tips on how to answer the question and you know you scaled thru thru it at interview kindly drop your suggestion.

Note: I need a tested and trusted suggestion from naija fokes that can work in the Nigeria job hunt settings... Not online suggestions by myriads of white professionals cos I hv read most of those articles online.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Pweetymoi1: 11:17am On Oct 11, 2014
Give them a range buh most times they can tell you to be specific...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by hojayz: 12:31pm On Oct 11, 2014
I think what dey r asking u indirectly is "how much is ur service worth?" Dey want 2 know hw much u value ursef. Give them a specific figure and tell them u r open to negotiation. Say it with confidence.

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 12:37pm On Oct 11, 2014
Pweetymoi1:
Give them a range buh most times they can tell you to be specific...

Yea, some of them would insist that you specify.
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 11, 2014
Kentnickole:

Yea, some of them would insist that you specify.

Well, what I did (like a month ago) was to ask from people I know what the pay is like for that position. I told them I wanted something in that range but that I was pretty flexible. However, when I finally got the job, they offered me what I requested and a little more but Oliver Twist me, i decided to negotiate and they increased it even further. So what you specify is not necessarily what you'll get especially if they like you.

21 Likes 7 Shares

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 1:06pm On Oct 11, 2014
annoymous:

Well, what I did (like a month ago) was to ask from people I know what the pay is like for that position. I told them I wanted something in that range but that I was pretty flexible. However, when I finally got the job, they offered me what I requested and a little more but Oliver Twist me, i decided to negotiate and they increased it even further. So what you specify is not necessarily what you'll get especially if they like you.

I like ur candid statement. Sorry am asking for more... Could you put it in sentence, just the way u expressed it then?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Nobody: 1:47pm On Oct 11, 2014
Kentnickole:

I like ur candid statement. Sorry am asking for more... Could you put it in sentence, just the way u expressed it then?

I can't remember the exact words I used but it went like,
'I'm looking for something between 80 and 90k but I'm pretty flexible and will consider the total package (ie bonuses, benefits, paid time off etc).

If they ask you to give a particular figure, just go with the lowest amount you'd be comfortable with and then some. It's pertinent you do your homework with regards to how much similar positions pay.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Sunnypar(m): 2:42pm On Oct 11, 2014
Godditex:
I have an interview in an advertising and marketing communications firm next week. I have research on the pay structure for an entry level in the field but no possible idea. Would it be wrong if I mention 90k-100k as my pay? Thanks!
Yes, it will be wrong because you do not know what is obtainable for entry level in that industry.

Furthermore, it is good you give a range, but tell them you are open to negotiation, the interviewer might want to hear a particular figure from you, 90+100k/2, that is, give him the average but be quick to tell them you are open to negotiations.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Sunnypar(m): 2:50pm On Oct 11, 2014
Kentnickole:

Thanks for the contribution. However, there are occasions where one's researches on salary structure for a particular position are unavailable. What do you do?
Look at what you earn at the moment with someone in a similar industry for example, FMCG , we have clothing line, foodstuff, drinks e.t.c look at what they pay that person say 900k and give them a range say 800-1.5m, however if you have experience in that job position you could start from1.5m.

Moreso, if you are unable to find anyone in similar industry, advice you calculate all your expenses such as transport, feeding,clothing,offering and flexing deduct it from the figure you have in mind and give a figure.
P.S., note that your expenses is for the month and if you calculate transport please include hold-up, traffic gridlock and raining season.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Nobody: 3:16pm On Oct 11, 2014
Sunnypar:
Yes, it will be wrong because you do not know what is obtainable for entry level in that industry.

Furthermore, it is good you gave a range, but tell them you are open to negotiation, the interviewer might want to hear a particular figure from you, 90+100k/2, that is, give him the average but be quick to tell them you are open to negotiations.
Thanks!

1 Like

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Kentnickole(m): 3:35pm On Oct 11, 2014
Sunnypar:
Look at what you earn at the moment with someone in a similar industry for example, FMCG , we have clothing line, foodstuff, drinks e.t.c look at what they pay that person say 900k and give them a range say 800-1.5m, however if you have ! experiencing that job position you could start from1.5m.

Moreso, if you are unable to find anyone in similar industry, advice you calculate all your expenses such as transport, feeding,clothing,offering and flexing deduct it from the figure you have in mind and give a figure.
P.S., note that your expenses if for the month and if you calculate transport please include hold-up, traffic gridlock and raining season.

Lolss! Thanks!
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by rattlesnake(m): 4:10pm On Oct 11, 2014
Answer what ever u want to be paid

Finito

What's d big issue
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by dammytosh: 4:11pm On Oct 11, 2014
it depends.

if you are an experienced staff, add like 70% to your current gross pay and say it with confidence.

If you are an entry level / no experience staff, ask a little bit above their entry payment.

Just know that no matter the amount you call, the panel or interviewer will make you look like a thief. Just smile with confidence in your mind say "You don't know what you are pricing" in Ibo Man's Voice grin

7 Likes

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by holyboss: 4:11pm On Oct 11, 2014
Just do d naija style (d question for question tin) #simple.

Hw much do u want us to pay you?

Ur answer: Hw much una company fit pay undecided

Try dat nd thank me later tongue

BTW, mind my signature..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Nlmadfreak: 4:12pm On Oct 11, 2014
Lol...
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by TeamSimple(m): 4:13pm On Oct 11, 2014
Yea op u rite,I got interviewed at cornerstone insurance.I was asked this same ?. MY reply was 3Million Anually and the HRM was like isn't that to much for a fresher. So with boldness I was like I believe dat as a coperate organisation ,deres a salary,allowance and other benefit structure for each department in this establishment. I wud like to know how much as I am also open to negotiations..We later agreed 1.2m per annum salary

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by ednut1(m): 4:13pm On Oct 11, 2014
faced it in my current workplace. my link to d company ask me to demand a certain amount. i felt it was too high. so i removed 50k. d company removed 10k from wat i demanded grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Nobody: 4:13pm On Oct 11, 2014
simply say....pay me according to your salary scheme.............

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by fpeter(f): 4:14pm On Oct 11, 2014
hojayz:
I think what dey r asking u indirectly is "how much is ur service worth?" Dey want 2 know hw much u value ursef. Give them a specific figure and tell them u r open to negotiation. Say it with confidence.

Don't try this you won't outwit your employers,it is a trap

1 Like

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by englishmart(m): 4:14pm On Oct 11, 2014
The thing is that in my former company, I rejected a salary augmentation from #350,000 to #400,000.

By saying this, my employer should be able to know how much of a salary I'm going in for?

1 Like

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by leshluap(m): 4:14pm On Oct 11, 2014
Hi
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by olayincar(m): 4:14pm On Oct 11, 2014
hojayz:
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Nobody: 4:16pm On Oct 11, 2014
I'll go for Goodluck Jonathan's salary because there's no time to waste time. Get rich on time or die trying grin grin

1 Like

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Rilwayne001: 4:16pm On Oct 11, 2014
[b] Truth is, if you’re interviewing for entry level position, you have practically no say in the pay. Almost 100% of companies have their pay structure and know how much they will pay you already. If Zenith bank, for instance, pays entry level employees N3m per annum, you can’t get more than that,except you have relevant experience. So most times, at entry level positions, this question is inconsequential, but it may be your undoing. Imagine asking for N10m as entry level in GTB – it can annoy your interviewer and an otherwise inconsequential question can mar your chance. Personally, I –and people I know that are top management staff in big organizations – always advise that you don’t say an amount. Respond with something like: “ABC Plc is a well-structured organization and I believe you will fairly place me where I fit within the structure (knowing full well that you’re entry level), with commensurate remuneration.” But if pressed further, you can state a sum, preferably a range, which you must have researched. A good way to research is to ask people that work in the organization what entry level pay is or you put a thread in a forum like Nairaland, where you are guaranteed of good
response. You may add 1 or 2m on top. For example, you know Ecobank pays N3m for entry level position, you may call 4m for them at the interview. If however you have some special skills or qualifications, you can charge a premium for that. For example, you have CFA, very marketable qualification, you can be daring and request for pay that is more than what is ordinarily obtainable for that position. Or you are coming withImperial or Harvard certificate. Experienced hires are also in good position to negotiate.... [/b]

www.nairaland.com/1245277/common-interview-questions-answer-tips

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by Yungwhy(m): 4:17pm On Oct 11, 2014
I love this
Re: "How Much Do We Pay You?" Interview Question by manuelpepper: 4:18pm On Oct 11, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Npower N-tax Applicant Set To Take Their Test Today Through To 3rd July / Updated Job Alerts / FIRS Salary (Federal Internal Revenue Service)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.