Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,007 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election (7206 Views)

Ministerial List: What Buhari Did That Shocked Tinubu, Osinbajo – New Telegraph / Buhari May Soon Wish He Did Not Win 2015 Presidential Polls – Ben Bruce. / “Jonathan Will Win 2015 Election But Be Cut Short” – Prophet Emmanuel Nwazuo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by sleekp1: 4:05pm On Oct 11, 2014
From all indications the only thing Buhari has to offer is religeous extremism ala sharia. What his supporters always refer to is his anti corruption crusade. What we want to hear is "Buharinomics". What would the economy look like under Buhari. GEJ has taken us to being the 26th economy in the world.

2 Likes

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 11, 2014
idumuose:

Do you agree with me that if the coup had not succeeded,Buhari will serve the
same punishment as Babangida and Audu Bako if they had faced a military tribunal??
Why didn't Buhari refuse their offer of his colleagues handing over power to him.
In stealing,the thief and the keeper of loots are the same.A person who is always seen
in the company of thieves is himself a thief.Buhari is a coup plotter.
He accepted the offer of being the beneficiary of successful coup detat.
Buhari like every other to general was invited to a meeting after the coup, just like it happened under Ironsi, he was picked as HOS. This is what happens when young officer try to prove that their coup was patriotic.

The account above came from a colonel.
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 11, 2014
atlwireles:
During Shagari’s tenure, only two or three ministers were accused. One of them fled to England after the coup, but don’t forget that while he was there, he was being fed, but the rumour then was that he had amassed lots of dollars. Another one had to sell his property to feed his family after he returned. That is proof enough that the allegations of corruption against them were not true.

After the military coup, we had soldiers who stole so much that up to now, no one has stolen as much as they did. I don’t have to mention names. Just check critically yourself, from the time of Gowon to date, between the military guys and civilians like Shagari whom we were in government together with, and whom we have been in politics with for over 60 years, who stole the most?

I guess this is from Ekwueme's interview, i wish he had mentioned names.
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by idumuose(m): 4:16pm On Oct 11, 2014
Obiagelli:

Ngwakwe if you can provide me with another account of the coup other than this General Domkat Bali’s wife's tale, i will drop my support for Buhari.

Btw can we also say Ironsi planned the first coup?
Ironsi's ascention to power and that of Buhari are two different issues.
While the former was involved in quelling the coup in lagos, and remember that
Ironsi succeeded in arresting most of the coup plotters like Nzeogwu,Tim onwuatuegwu,
Emmanuel ifeajuna,Wole Ademoyega,etc,the latter(Buhari) accepted to be the head of state
without getting the coup plotters arrested.
My question is how can you arrest and prosecute your gang members when you are their leader?

6 Likes

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Nobody: 4:23pm On Oct 11, 2014
idumuose:

Ironsi's ascention to power and that of Buhari are two different issues.
While the former was involved in quelling the coup in lagos, and remember that
Ironsi succeeded in arresting most of the coup plotters like Nzeogwu,Tim onwuatuegwu,
Emmanuel ifeajuna,Wole Ademoyega,etc,the latter(Buhari) accepted to be the head of state
without getting the coup plotters arrested.
My question is how can you arrest and prosecute your gang members when you are their leader?
Ironsi was in lagos (seat of power), buhari was in Jos. I hope you see the difference.
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by idumuose(m): 4:24pm On Oct 11, 2014
Obiagelli:

Buhari like every other to general was invited to a meeting after the coup, just like it happened under Ironsi, he was picked as HOS. This is what happens when young officer try to prove that their coup was patriotic.

The account above came from a colonel.
Who handed over power to Ironsi?
It was Nwafor orizu the senate President because Zik was nowhere to be found.
Power was handed over to Ironsi in his capacity as the head of the army.
Was Buhari the head of the army under shagari regime? The answer is no.
The chief of army staff was the head of the army.Why didn't they hand over power
to the head of the army.And by the way who handed over power to Buhari?
Was it the senate president,Joseph Wayas?
In a sane society Buhari should be hanged on a tree until life is snuffed out of him for
trying to benefit from a democracy he personally truncated 31 years ago.

9 Likes

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by dubienatti(m): 4:28pm On Oct 11, 2014
Buhari is a one sided politician and knows notin about mass appeal..he lets his emotion get d better of him..n u know d opposition ar there to spine these thinz in their fevour...

1 Like

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 11, 2014
idumuose:

Who handed over power to Ironsi?
It was Nwafor orizu the senate President because Zik was nowhere to be found.
Power was handed over to Ironsi in his capacity as the head of the army.
Was Buhari the head of the army under shagari regime? The answer is no.
The chief of army staff was the head of the army.Why didn't they hand over power
to the head of the army.And by the way who handed over power to Buhari?
Was it the senate president,Joseph Wayas?
In a sane society Buhari should be hanged on a tree until life is snuffed out of him for
trying to benefit from a democracy he personally truncated 31 years ago.
Who was the most senior officer after the coup that ousted shagari (innocent questions).
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by idumuose(m): 4:36pm On Oct 11, 2014
Obiagelli:

Ironsi was in lagos (seat of power), buhari was in Jos. I hope you see the difference.
Ironsi was in Lagos because he was the head of the army and was appointed as HOS.
Buhari on the other hand was in Jos because he wasn't the head of the army.
He was apppnted as the HOS cos he was part of the coup.Remember that Gowon did not participate in the july29th 1966 coup,
he was appointed as HOS because;

1. He was aware of the coup detat and did not foil it.
He was rewarded for being a good boy.Gowon could have
foiled the coup if he wanted to?

2. He was head of the army(chief of army staff under ironsi).

Babangida was the head of the army when he toppled Buhari.

4 Likes

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by major466(m): 4:38pm On Oct 11, 2014
Ngwakwe:
There are tons of other acts of political suicide he committed among them are contained in the quote below

I will never vote a Religious extremists.
GEJ till 2019.

4 Likes

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Ngwakwe: 4:40pm On Oct 11, 2014
Obiagelli:

Ngwakwe if you can provide me with another account of the coup other than this General Domkat Bali’s wife's tale, i will drop my support for Buhari.

Btw can we also say Ironsi planned the first coup?

If I provide evidence that he knew about the coup, will it suffice?

As the most Senior ranking officer in the Military, why was he complacent while the plot persisted and never acted assuming I concede he never attended the plot and wasn't in the meetings?

I have some documents to prove he knew about it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 11, 2014
idumuose:

Ironsi was in Lagos because he was the head of the army and was appointed as HOS.
Buhari on the other hand was in Jos because he wasn't the head of the army.
He was apppnted as the HOS cos he was part of the coup.Remember that Gowon did not participate in the july29th 1966 coup,
he was appointed as HOS because;

1. He was aware of the coup detat and did not foil it.
He was rewarded for being a good boy.Gowon could have
foiled the coup if he wanted to?

2. He was head of the army(chief of army staff under ironsi).

Babangida was the head of the army when he toppled Buhari.
You ended up not answering a simple question.
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 11, 2014
The 2015 election has already been won, and we all know the winner. Buhari can try again in 2019.

5 Likes

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Nobody: 4:46pm On Oct 11, 2014
Ngwakwe:

As the most Senior ranking officer in the Military, why was he complacent while the plot persisted and never acted assuming I concede he never attended the plot and wasn't in the meetings?

You have known me to accept superior arguments, i know what it takes to dig up evidence and as such wont waste your time beating circles. Please give me evidence.
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by idumuose(m): 4:49pm On Oct 11, 2014
Obiagelli:

Who was the most senior officer after the coup that ousted shagari (innocent questions).
In military coups,power is not handed to the most senior officer and yes Buhari was the most senior officer but
he wasn't the head of the army.
Why didn't Murtala muhammed and theophilous Danjuma not hand over power to the most senior officer after ironsi
was toppled?
Go and check your records,power cannot be freely handed over to you if you did not particiate directly or indirectly.

You couldn't be given power if you didn't give your support.Soldiers wouldn't risk their lives to organize a coup and hand over
Power to a colleague who didn't know know or approve of the coup.It is impossible.

Remember Brigadier Nasarawa was dismissed from the army for his failure to report that their was a mamman Vasta coup in the offing.

He didn't participate but he was aware.Wasn't that a tacit approval of vasta coup by brig.Nasarawa?

I can't be deceived that Buhari did not participate in the coup directly or indirectly.

3 Likes

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 11, 2014
idumuose:

In military coups,power is not handed to the most senior officer and yes Buhari was the most senior officer but
Why didn't Murtala muhammed and theophilous Danjuma not hand over power to the most senior officer after ironsi
was toppled?
This is all i wanted to hear from you. MM and danjuma championed the coup for reasons other than patriotism. I hope you finally see the difference.

Like i said earlier, This is what happens
when young officer try to prove that their coup was
patriotic.

I believe i have settled the issue of Muslim should vote Muslims and the Buhari coup.
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Ngwakwe: 5:00pm On Oct 11, 2014
idumuose:

was toppled?
Go and check your records,power cannot be freely handed over to you if you did not particiate directly or indirectly.

You couldn't be given power if you didn't give your support.Soldiers wouldn't risk their lives to organize a coup and hand over
Power to a colleague who didn't know know or approve of the coup.It is impossible.

Remember Brigadier Nasarawa was dismissed from the army for his failure to report that their was a mamman Vasta coup in the offing.

He didn't participate but he was aware.Wasn't that a tacit approval of vasta coup by brig.Nasarawa?

I can't be deceived that Buhari did not participate in the coup directly or indirectly.

In the Military code of conduct, knowledge of an ongoing coup without reporting to the Commander-in-Chief equals participation.

I don't understand, why did Buhari apologise to Shehu Shagari and was pleading for forgiveness?

1 Like

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by idumuose(m): 5:03pm On Oct 11, 2014
Obiagelli:

This is all i wanted to hear from you. MM and danjuma championed the coup for reasons other than patriotism. I hope you finally see the difference.

patriotic.

I believe i have settled the issue of Muslim should vote Muslims and the Buhari coup.
And i guess you didn't read the part i said Gowon was aware there was coup and he didn't
try to foil it right?
He didn't participate but he was aware and gave his tacit approval because that coup wouldn't have seen
the light of the day had Gowon not supported it.Get my drift.

1 Like

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by idumuose(m): 5:07pm On Oct 11, 2014
Ngwakwe:

In the Military code of conduct, knowledge of an ongoing coup without reporting to the Commander-in-Chief equals participation.

I don't understand, why did Buhari apologise to Shehu Shagari and was pleading for forgiveness?
Good question but the person who should answer this question is Obiagelli.

2 Likes

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 11, 2014
Ngwakwe:

I would like a link to the begging part so i can reply properly.
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 11, 2014
idumuose:

And i guess you didn't read the part i said Gowon was aware there was coup and he didn't
try to foil it right?
He didn't participate but he was aware and gave his tacit approval because that coup wouldn't have seen
the light of the day had Gowon acted.Get my drift.
Gowon knew doesn't mean buhari knew.
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Ngwakwe: 5:13pm On Oct 11, 2014
Obiagelli:

I would like a link to the begging part so i can reply properly.

Take time to read this interview and decide for yourself the level of involvement of the peoples General in 1983 Coup and the impetus he has to alter the composition of the then Supreme Council by sacking Gausa who he actively engaged to come to power

The Interview

Why Babangida Overthrew, Detained Me — Buhari

attempt to fire Ibrahim Babangida, the then army chief, and Aliyu Gusau, the army intelligence chief.

Mr. Buhari, a retired General, said he had tabled proposal for the retirement of Mr. Gusau, the Director of Military Intelligence and a close ally of Mr. Babangida’s, and it became clear to Mr. Babangida he could be the next target.
The move alerted Mr. Babangida who soon mobilized the military and forced the Buhari regime out, before detaining Mr. Buhari for three years, the retired general said in a rare interview with the Sun newspaper published weekend.

“I moved to retire his Director of Military Intelligence,”  Mr Buhari said. “I took a paper to Army Council. Babangida was there… Idiagbon was there, Bali was there as Minister of Defence, and I was there as the head of state and commander-in-chief. And reasons for him to be removed was in that memo. Go and find out from him or from Babangida. They are both alive.”

He continued, “…But if you touch Gusau, his intelligence chief, invariably, you were going to inch towards the Chief of Army Staff, Babangida. Eventually, he might have been touched. I didn’t know but at that point, it was Aliyu Gusau.
“Yes, we were inching closer. You could say that.

Mr. Buhari’s revelation corroborated Mr. Gusau’s narrative of his military career.
In a bio published on his website, Mr. Gusau said he was Director of Military Intelligence (DMI) from November 1979 to December 1983 and played an important role in the coup that ousted President Shehu Shagari and the corrupt National Party of Nigeria, NPN, from power on 31 December 1983, bringing Mr. Buhari to power.

He said following the coup, he was proposed as overall head of Intelligence, with the support of Babangida, who was then Chief of Army Staff, but that his appointment was opposed by Mr. Buhari.
Mr. Buhari later confirmed Mr. Shagari’s appointee, Muhammadu Lawal Rafindadi, as director of the National Security Organization (NSO). He removed Mr. Gusau from the DMI, replacing him with Colonel Halilu Akilu. Mr. Gusau was then sent on training at the Royal College of Defence Studies in Britain.

Mr Gusau felt badly treated and the Buhari regime suspected he was planning an insurrection. In response, Mr. Buhari moved fast by trying to retire him from the army, an action Mr. Babangida resisted.

Mr. Babangida then teamed up with Mr. Gusau and a few other disgruntled officers to topple the Buhari regime.
Mr. Buhari said he felt betrayed by Mr. Babangida, and felt even more upset after his detention made him miss his mother’s funeral in 1988.

The general however said he has forgiven Mr. Babangida, although the events remained unforgettable. He also wished President Shehu Shagari, who he had earlier toppled and detained too, will forgive him.

Mr. Buhari, who served as petroleum minister under the military government of former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, said he still begrudged Mr. Obasanjo for mobilizing voters against him during past elections.

“No, I haven’t forgiven him,” he said of Mr. Obasanjo.

The lengthy interview, commemorating Mr. Buhari’s 70th birthday, provided rare details about the former head of state’s upbringing, military career, politics and life as a flirting youngster who smoked and kept girlfriends.

He said he quit smoking in 1977.
Since leaving office August 1985, Mr. Buhari maintained a low profile before taking a role as head of the Petroleum Trust Fund under Sani Abacha government, and then joining politics in 2003 when he first contested for president on the platform of the All Nigeria Peoples Party.

He said he would continue with party politics as long as “I have breath in me”, but was not certain about running for president in 2015.

That decision will be taken after the outcome of the alliance plan between his party, the Congress for Progressive Change, CPC, and other opposition parties, he said.

Mr. Buhari said his turning point for democracy came in 1991 after the former Soviet Union split into more than a dozen countries.

“I have said this so often that an empire in the 20th century, collapsed and a lot of people ran back home, leaving strategic installations behind, like missile sites, nuclear formation and so on,” he said.
“It was then that I believed, personally, in my own assessment, that multi-party democratic system was and is still superior to despotism.”

But the new convictions altered none of his draconian convictions about media restrictions, and basic rights, he said, offering no regret for his government’s suppression of the media- a reference often cashed upon by critics to taunt his presidential ambition.

He said the infamous Decree 4, under which his administration jailed journalists, and refused clemency for drug traffickers, was merely enforcing what the highest military council agreed upon at the time.

While the regime received accolades for its anti-corruption stance and discipline, it came under severe criticism for its high-handedness and violation of rights.

The anti-media law and the administration’s penchant for summary executions typified those excesses. Mr. Buhari said he had no regrets.

“What we did was that you must not embarrass those civil servants.  If you have got evidence that somebody was corrupt, the courts were there. Take the evidence to court; the court will not spare whoever it was. But you don’t just go and write articles that were embarrassing,” he said.

“Those who did it, the editors, the reporters, we jailed them. But we never closed a whole institution, as others did.”
Asked if he regretted the decision, he replied: “No regret, because we did it according to the laws we made.  We neither closed a whole institution nor caused job losses.”

Mr. Buhari also denied N2.8 billion oil money disappeared while he was minister of petroleum. He said the allegation was politically motivated.

“At that time, Nigeria was exporting about 1.82 million barrels a day. And the cost of barrel a day was about $18. You work out N2.8billion. How could N2.8billion be missing and we still have money to run the country?”

The general gave a telling portrait of the military coup that brought him to power, and that which saw him pushed out of office and thrown into detention.

He denied ever participating in coup plotting, and said he was merely invited as the most senior officer to take over the reins of governance after Mr. Shagari, the second republic president, was sacked.
Those backers later “changed their minds” and booted him out of office, he said.

A key reason for this, he said, was his attempt to retire Mr. Gusau, and potentially, Mr. Babangida. Mr. Gusau, a well-connected intelligence officer, has remained a long standing associate of Mr. Babangida.

As a retired officer, he repeatedly held the office of the National Security Adviser under civilian regimes, the latest under President Goodluck Jonathan.

At each turn too, Mr. Gusau has taken a shot at the presidency, and in 2007, Mr. Babangida stood down from the contest citing his relationship with Mr. Gusau and the late Umaru Yar’adua, who won the election.

Mr. Buhari said he took the papers for Mr. Gusau’s retirement to the army council which had Mr. Babangida as a key member. He said with the move, he was “inching closer” to Mr. Babangida.

On a light note, Mr. Buhari said he smoked and had affairs while a young officer. He said he didn’t touch alcohol because his religion, Islam, forbids him from doing so.
He added for effect that he was surprised that not many women had interest in him despite his position and looks.

“I thought women ought to have taken more interest in me but I don’t know why they didn’t. I must have something they didn’t like. I assure you of that. I didn’t drink, I smoked, I had girlfriends; it was true.”

Then the former head of state jokingly told the interviwers they would be doing him a lot of good by not printing that aspect of the interview, saying “because my wife will read the interview”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/112414-why-babangida-overthrew-detained-me-buhari.html

1 Like

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by idumuose(m): 5:16pm On Oct 11, 2014
Obiagelli:

patriotic.

Maybe we should also know why Buhari said Jonathan should stop killing boko haram.
He also said since yar'adua gave niger delta militants amnesty,jonathan should extend same to boko haram.
Jets were used to fly niger delta militants to abuja while jonathan is sending tanks to the north to finish off boko haram.

Jonathan is killing boko haram in order to depopulate the north.
These and many more are statements credited to Buhari.

2015 would have come and gone and yet you wouldn't have succeeded in clarifying all the careless statements
Buhari has made.
Infact while you are trying to clarify some of his comments,he is busy committing anothe blunder.

Let him proceed to the polls and let's see how far he will go.A truncator of democracy trying to benefit from democracy
he loathed.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by dubienatti(m): 5:23pm On Oct 11, 2014
WHAT BUHARI MUST DO TO WIN..

1.Apologise to nigeria 4 being an accessory to d coup dat truncated d 2nd democratic dispensation..why tryin to exonarate himself would b an effort in frutility as he benefited 4rom illegality..n his action after d coup shows his an accomplice to d mess..
2.he should stop talkin about religion n go n take a course on public relation..
3.stop insultin d presido n explain to naija peps how he will fix naija n its problem.
4.Associate wit d gud d bad n d ugly..
5.Stop being confrotational or d masses will b ready 4 a fight..
6.He should remenber dat dis is democracy every body's vote is important....
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Nobody: 5:24pm On Oct 11, 2014
idumuose:

Maybe we should also know why Buhari said Jonathan should stop killing boko haram.
He also said since yar'adua gave niger delta militants amnesty,jonathan should extend same to boko haram.
Jets were used to fly niger delta militants to abuja while jonathan is sending tanks to the north to finish off boko haram.

Jonathan is killing boko haram in order to depopulate the north.
These and many more are statements credited to Buhari.

2015 would have come and gone and yet you wouldn't have succeeded in clarifying all the careless statements
Buhari has made.
Infact while you are trying to clarify some of his comments,he is busy committing anothe blunder.

Let him proceed to the polls and let's see how far he will go.A truncator of democracy trying to benefit from democracy
he loathed.

Like i said earlier, no time for circles. If u accept defeat then we can move on to another topic.
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by nuclearboy(m): 5:27pm On Oct 11, 2014
So much rubbish and lies in the public domain.

Tanko Yakassai's interview is easily faulted and thrown out - HE SAYS BUHARI WAS TO HAVE BEEN TRANSFERRED TO ABEOKUTA BUT THEY DIDN'T WANT HIM TOO CLOSE TO THE CENTER OF POWER ....... Any body who has half a brain and knows the military knows this is a lie. He was a Major-General at the said time. What post (EVEN TODAY 30+ years after) would a Maj-Gen hold in Abeokuta?

Again I state - there is NO Army post in Abeokuta that can be held by a 2-star General, talkless in the 80s when 2 stars were a rarity.

This obvious lie invalidates the entire rubbish spouted by the Tanko guy as "beer-parlor" (or Kunu-bowl) gossip - rantings of an irrelevant nuisance who wanted to be noticed. Same dude then went ahead to say the coup was planned in his house. If the first is a lie, how do your infer the 2nd is truth?

If he made such a blunder, not even knowing that possibility was IMPOSSIBLE, how can you even trust anything else he said?
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by nuclearboy(m): 5:31pm On Oct 11, 2014
Ngwakwe:

Please provide them. And note, he wasn't the senior ranking officer in the military as you stated. He had superiors at that time
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 11, 2014
Ngwakwe:

Take time to read this interview and decide for yourself the level of involvement of the peoples General in 1983 Coup and the impetus he has to alter the composition of the then Supreme Council by sacking Gausa who he actively engaged to come to power

The Interview

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/112414-why-babangida-overthrew-detained-me-buhari.html

The general however said he has forgiven Mr.
Babangida, although the events remained unforgettable.
He also wished President Shehu Shagari, who he had
earlier toppled and detained too
, will forgive him.

The bolded was narrative, wasn't Buhari’s exact words.
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Nobody: 5:36pm On Oct 11, 2014
nuclearboy:

Tanko Yakassai's interview is easily faulted and thrown out - HE SAYS BUHARI WAS TO HAVE BEEN TRANSFERRED TO ABEOKUTA BUT THEY DIDN'T WANT HIM TOO CLOSE TO THE CENTER OF POWER ....... Any body who has half a brain and knows the military knows this is a lie. He was a Major-General at the said time. What post (EVEN TODAY 30+ years after) would a Maj-Gen hold in Abeokuta?

Again I state - there is NO Army post in Abeokuta that can be held by a 2-star General, talkless in the 80s when 2 stars were a rarity.

This obvious lie invalidates the entire rubbish spouted by the Tanko guy as "beer-parlor" (or Kunu-bowl) gossip - rantings of an irrelevant nuisance who wanted to be noticed. Same dude then went ahead to say the coup was planned in his house. If the first is a lie, how do your infer the 2nd is truth?

If he made such a blunder, not even knowing that possibility was IMPOSSIBLE, how can you even trust anything else he said?
Interesting, you are making a lot of sense.
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 11, 2014
@ Ngwakwe, idumuose

Someone just informed me that Gowon didn't even know about the coup that brought him in.

T.Y. Danjuma said in his book that the coup plotters discussed whether they should tell Gowon about it, but decided not to, because they knew that Gowon would report them. Gowon's car was shot at when he tried to go and negotiate with the coup plotters (read Operation Aure by Nowa Omoigui).

It is not true that Gowon could have stopped the coup. Northern soldiers were enraged that their seniors (Maimalari, etc) had been killed and they were not prepared to listen to anyone. For example, noticed how William Walbe and co kidnapped Ironsi from Danjuma (Walbe has openly admitted to this in his interview with Nowa Omoigui).

It is a fact that many potential beneficiaries of coups are not informed before hand. The people that planned the first coup (Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna, etc) said that they planned to appoint Awolowo as Prime Minister, but Awolwow did not know about this. Dimka planned to appoint Gowon as the Head of State, but Gowon did not know
Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by Ngwakwe: 5:53pm On Oct 11, 2014
nuclearboy:

What is this nonsense meant to achieve in a logical debate?

First of all, Tanko Yakasai's is the current chairman of Northern Elders Council (NEC) and not a novice like you.

As far back as 1953/1954, Yakasai was one of the editors of the Comet, one of the top news dailies.

What periodicals or facts can you provide to prove your points and refute Yakassai's interview?

4 Likes

Re: What Buhari Must Do To Win 2015 Election by manck2: 5:55pm On Oct 11, 2014
if wishes were horse,,, That most be a dream.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria's Airports Are Improving Significantly - Arik / Results In Southwest Favours Buhari, Jonathan Only Won Ekiti State.(RESULTS) / Members of The Cabal Are In Firm Grip Of Project Muhammadu Buhari (2015)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.