Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,857 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? (1379 Views)

We Are Not Alone, Says Vatican: Pope's Chief Astronomer Says Alien Life Exists. / Some Deeper Life Practices That Are Alien To Scripture / Alien Skull Found In Peru (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by xamuel17(m): 9:01am On Oct 12, 2014
The discovery of extraterrestrial beings — be they slimy microbes or little green men — would dramatically change the way we humans view our place in the universe. But would it shatter religion? Well, that depends on what you believe. In one survey released last year by the company Survata, 37 percent of the 5,886 Americans who were polled said they believed in the existence of extraterrestrial life, while 21 percent said they didn't believe and 42 percent were unsure. Responses varied by religion: 55 percent of atheists said they believed in extraterrestrials, as did 44 percent of Muslims, 37 percent of Jews, 36 percent of Hindus and 32 percent of Christians. It was found that some religions are more accommodating to the idea of E.T. than others. Those with an Earth-centric spiritual point of view are the most likely to be made uncomfortable by questions about the discovery of aliens. So its now left to us to decide on what we believe, let's share our thoughts here!
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by edogho(m): 11:14am On Oct 12, 2014
OK..., NOPE..
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by plaetton: 3:22pm On Oct 12, 2014
The Motherchurch, the Catholic Church, has already taken the proactive steps of hinting that ETs might be our space brothers who may not have fallen from God's grace, and therefore, would be welcome as redeemers, the next best thing to the long expected return of Jesus.
Lol. cheesy
No doubt, ET contact would instantly kill the prevailing religious beliefs of today, perhaps in favour of new ones.
Humans , the weaker minded amonsts us, are always desperate to worship and be led by the stronger minded.

2 Likes

Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by GooseBaba: 4:25pm On Oct 12, 2014
The problems with surveys is that we don't know which demography of religious minds answered this question..

I will bet good coin.. If these same question were asked from core believers, their answers would be apostasy..

It's the core believers one should be worried about. The alien will be seen as fallen angels/devils depending on how they look like.. Therefore, they must light the candle of raptures and condem/kill those that reason differently.."we must defend God's righteousness"

I hope the alien would have good technology to determine the human with religious craze so they can zap them with their space guns... And pity the ones with intellect by making them laborers.. In fact we're fuvked... If you are still reading this.. I hail you....!! Haba you too like story.... grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by Liveair: 5:19pm On Oct 12, 2014
The problem is that a new Religion would be formed, worshiping them.
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by plaetton: 6:41pm On Oct 12, 2014
Liveair:
The problem is that a new Religion would be formed, worshiping them.

My dear friend, you would be surprised to know that nearly all of Earth's religion were founded and constructed on the aftermaths of Alien encounters.
Example, from a modern mind's perspective, what does the term " fallen Angel's " connote?
How about " boat of heaven" or Chariots of fire in the sky, or " pillars of smoke by day and pillars of fire by night ( does a rocketship come to mind) ?

The bible says that " the Kabod (mistranslated as the glory of the lord) of the lord descended on the mountain " with billows of smoke, and that the earth quaked.
Now, just imagine the gradual descent of rocketship with smokes coming out of the exhaust and the noise of a rocket engine.

There is no doubt in my mind that the ancients wqere simply chronicling their encounters with technologically advanced Extra-terrestial beings.
There were many of them , and many encounters: Encounters that formed the basis of the worship of the different gods of ancient Egypt, Canaan and Babylon.

There is also no doubts that a modern ET disclosure of contact would collapse the current religions, and maybe form new ones.
That would depend on how the ETs view us and our progress over the past 4000yrs.

If they give us a pass mark, they might help elevate us to higher realms of thinking.
But if they, like the insecure ET/god of genesis, is threatened by human progress, then they just might blows us back into the stone age, and then it's
Deja Vu all over again.
undecided
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by Liveair: 6:49pm On Oct 12, 2014
plaetton:

My dear friend, you would be surprised to know that nearly all of Earth's religion were founded and constructed on the aftermaths of Alien encounters.
Example, from a modern mind's perspective, what does the term " fallen Angel's " connote?
How about " boat of heaven" or Chariots of fire in the sky, or " pillars of smoke by day and pillars of fire by night ( does a rocketship come to mind) ?

The bible says that " the Kabod (mistranslated as the glory of the lord) of the lord descended on the mountain " with billows of smoke, and that the earth quaked.
Now, just imagine the gradual descent of rocketship with smokes coming out of the exhaust and the noise of a rocket engine.

There is no doubt in my mind that the ancients wqere simply chronicling their encounters with technologically advanced Extra-terrestial beings.
There were many of them , and many encounters: Encounters that formed the basis of the worship of the different gods of ancient Egypt, Canaan and Babylon.

There is also no doubts that a modern ET disclosure of contact would collapse the current religions, and maybe form new ones.
That would depend on how the ETs view us and our progress over the past 4000yrs.

If they give us a pass mark, they might help elevate us to higher realms of thinking.
But if they, like the insecure ET/god of genesis, is threatened by human progress, then they just might blows us back into the stone age, and then it's
Deja Vu all over again.
undecided

Quite interesting isn't it.
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by finofaya: 8:34pm On Oct 12, 2014
plaetton:

Deja Vu all over again.
undecided

Evening, Sir.

From the little I know about space travel, I don't know if you can conclude that those bible verses were referring to space travel.

Any aliens that were able to reach earth must be much more technologically advanced than we currently are. We are at the stage of rocket engines for space exploration and we know that these engines don't get you anywhere in terms of stellar distances. They are too slow to get anywhere significant without the people on the space craft dying of old age first.

Do you think it is plausible that aliens were able to reach the earth from where ever with mere rocket engines?

Also, these aliens must equally have something to say about the origin of existence. They may also be religious, or not. In visiting earth, unless they were unable to interact with humans, they should have communicated their own ideas about existence/God to us. If you say nearly all of earth's religion was founded on alien visitation, could it be that the aliens were also religious, or that they did not communicate their ideas to humans, thereby causing humans to view them as gods?

3 Likes

Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by plaetton: 8:59pm On Oct 12, 2014
finofaya:

Evening, Sir.

From the little I know about space travel, I don't know if you can conclude that those bible verses were referring to space travel.

Any aliens that were able to reach earth must be much more technologically advanced than we currently are. We are at the stage of rocket engines for space exploration and we know that these engines don't get you anywhere in terms of stellar distances. They are too slow to get anywhere significant without the people on the space craft dying of old age first.

Do you think it is plausible that aliens were able to reach the earth from where ever with mere rocket engines?

Also, these aliens must equally have something to say about the origin of existence. They may also be religious, or not. In visiting earth, unless they were unable to interact with humans, they should have communicated their own ideas about existence/God to us. If you say nearly all of earth's religion was founded on alien visitation, could it be that the aliens were also religious, or that they did not communicate their ideas to humans, thereby causing humans to view them as gods?

Yes, You are right, our current rocket engines are far too inefficient for interstellar space travel.
By rocket engine, I guess i was just referring to a power source that did produce some kind of mist or whose thrust threw up a lot of hazy dust.

The Sumerians depicted their gods as having rocket-like vehicles called Din.Ger that took of from the ground and went up into the air.
They wrote in t heir texts that when the gods arrived on earth, Iraq to be specific, they named the place E.RIDU ( translated home away from home). It is from this very word ERIDU, transliterated many times over, that we get the word EARTH.

They also portrayed what looks like a Sattelite or orbiting spacecraft above the Earth which they called the IGI.GI.
One of their well know cities was called SIP.PAR( translated BirdCity) from where the DIN.GER took off and landed.

The Hindu Vedas also contain tons of tales of ET gods flying through the air and even shooting weapons from crafts they called VIMANAs.

I do think from the written ancient materials that the ET gods were more interested in imparting scientific knowledge to stone age humans than religious philosophy. However, what we see is that humans were so overwhelmed and even terrified with the technological marvels of these Visitors that they chose to worship them as gods, and treat the scientific knowledge as spiritual magic, rather than as scientific feats.

This explains why the scientific knowledge was hoarded and protected as very sacred spiritual gift, only to be imparted to very few worthy disciples of the religious cults that formed around the ET phenomena.

For example, it is thought that the ancient Egyptian knew the phenomenom of electricity, but they could not envisage it's great utility as a power source, so they hoarded the knowledge as sacred until it died with the priests.

1 Like

Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Oct 12, 2014
plaetton:

Deja Vu all over again.
undecided

Do you have evidence for any of these?
You criticize Christians' translation of the bible, yet here you are giving your own wild interpretations about rocket ships and whatnot. We talk about evidence and extraordinary claims all the time, so you should have incontrovertible evidence.

It would be nice to have evidence that's closer to home too.
e.g When the Yorubas talk about Sango and the thunderbolts from heaven, is it possible that he was firing laser-guided iron mortars from a single manned space vehicle?
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 12, 2014
plaetton:

Yes, You are right, our current rocket engines are far too inefficient for interstellar space travel.
By rocket engine, I guess i was just referring to a power source that did produce some kind of mist or whose thrust threw up a lot of hazy dust.

The Sumerians depicted their gods as having rocket-like vehicles called Din.Ger that took of from the ground and went up into the air.
They wrote in t heir texts that when the gods arrived on earth, Iraq to be specific, they named the place E.RIDU ( translated home away from home). It is from this very word ERIDU, transliterated many times over, that we get the word EARTH.

They also portrayed what looks like a Sattelite or orbiting spacecraft above the Earth which they called the IGI.GI.
One of their well know cities was called SIP.PAR( translated BirdCity) from where the DIN.GER took off and landed.

Is this a depiction of a face?

Is it an aerial view of two tables and a wall in a circular room?

Is it military code?

Is it Martian language for, "F#ck Yeah!!!"?

Is it just one big circle, two little circles and a line?

Are they rocket-like vehicles or is it Apophenia?
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by Orunto: 9:31pm On Oct 12, 2014
Do you mean change the facts that God is the Creator of the Universe? Or that everything in Heaven and on earth belongs to God? NO!
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by finofaya: 9:32pm On Oct 12, 2014
plaetton:

The Hindu Vedas also contain tons of tales of ET gods flying through the air and even shooting weapons from crafts they called VIMANAs.

I do think from the written ancient materials that the ET gods were more interested in imparting scientific knowledge to stone age humans than religious philosophy. However, what we see is that humans were so overwhelmed and even terrified with the technological marvels of these Visitors that they chose to worship them as gods, and treat the scientific knowledge as spiritual magic, rather than as scientific feats.

This explains why the scientific knowledge was hoarded and protected as very sacred spiritual gift, only to be imparted to very few worthy disciples of the religious cults that formed around the ET phenomena.

For example, it is thought that the ancient Egyptian knew the phenomenom of electricity, but they could not envisage it's great utility as a power source, so they hoarded the knowledge as sacred until it died with the priests.

Okay, it's clearer now. Thanks
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 12, 2014
plaetton:

Let's bring it home to Africa. These fantastic tales always seem to take place in the middle east , but I would love to hear how the ETs interacted with people in Umuahia. Were the ETs racist or their GPS just couldn't find the African land mass?

1 Like

Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 12, 2014
plaetton:

Obatala created everything that exists, and would later evolve , in Ile Ife. It is from these words ILE IFE, transliterated many times over, that we get the word LIFE.
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by plaetton: 9:51pm On Oct 12, 2014
Martian:

Do you have evidence for any of these?
You criticize Christians' translation of the bible, yet here you are giving your own wild interpretations about rocket ships and whatnot. We talk about evidence and extraordinary claims all the time, so you should have incontrovertible evidence.

It would be nice to have evidence that's closer to home too.
e.g When the Yorubas talk about Sango and the thunderbolts from heaven, is it possible that he was firing laser-guided iron mortars from a single manned space vehicle?

These are not presented as solid facts, but as legitimate extrapolations what are written depicted in ancient writings and texts.

I very much accept the translations of the late Dr. Zacharia Sitchin, an acclaimed historian and linguistic, whose translation and conclusions have never been refuted by any other historian or translator.

As proof, 6000 yrs ago, the sumerians depicted our solar system in its exact order with the correct relative sizes of all planetary bodies in our solar system.
This knowledge, they claimed, were given to them by their gods.

If you want, I could list you a whole list of Sumerian knowledge that has been confirmed by modern science.
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by plaetton: 9:56pm On Oct 12, 2014
^^^
I do not accept these as blind faith beliefs, but as possibilities grounded on s wide coincidence of facts, myths and ancient writings.

I firmly believe that the ancients, including the Yorubas, were all trying to tell perhaps the same story,..the story of ancient man's encounter with beings outside of earth, in the language they could: religion .

1 Like

Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by plaetton: 10:07pm On Oct 12, 2014
Martian:

Let's bring it home to Africa. These fantastic tales always seem to take place in the middle east , but I would love to hear how the ETs interacted with people in Umuahia. Were the ETs racist or their GPS just couldn't find the African land mass?

Actually sir
There are plenty of ET tales from Africa. The Dog on tribe talk of children of stars who taught them the charts of the stars.
For a primitive tribe, they show a sophisticated knowledge of astronomy.

The absence of a written language, no doubts, prevented the transmission of much ancient E T stories from all over Africa.
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Oct 12, 2014
plaetton:

These are not presented as solid facts, but as legitimate extrapolations what are written depicted in ancient writings and texts.

Sounds a lot like conjecture. Religious people call it faith based on the "word of god".

plaetton:
I very much accept the translations of the late Dr. Zacharia Sitchin, an acclaimed historian and linguistic, whose translation and conclusions have never been refuted by any other historian or translator.

Never been refuted? His claims are as valid as TB Joshua's. You sound like christians do when they talk about their MOGs.

http://www.sitchiniswrong.com/
http://www.skepdic.com/sitchin.html
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/pseudoscience/the-12th-planet-and-zecharia-sitchin-t10141.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zecharia_Sitchin

plaetton:

As proof, 6000 yrs ago, the sumerians depicted our solar system in its exact order with the correct relative sizes of all planetary bodies in our solar system.
This knowledge, they claimed, were given to them by their gods.
If you want, I could list you a whole list of Sumerian knowledge that has been confirmed by modern science.

Please do!!!!
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Oct 12, 2014
plaetton:

Actually sir
There are plenty of ET tales from Africa. The Dog on tribe talk of children of stars who taught them the charts of the stars.

Sounds like primitive tales about the little lights in the sky instead of a sophisticated knowledge of astronomy.
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by Weah96: 2:22am On Oct 13, 2014
plaetton:

Deja Vu all over again.
undecided

Which one is closer to the truth, in your opinion: that the writers of the bible encountered real and actual aliens, or that they were under the influence of entheogens?
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by Weah96: 2:29am On Oct 13, 2014
plaetton:

Actually sir

The absence of a written language, no doubts, prevented the transmission of much ancient E T stories from all over Africa.

They too were geeking. Hahaha.

"Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behaviour and information processing. They open you up to the possibility that everything you know is wrong."

Terence McKenna
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by plaetton: 3:14am On Oct 13, 2014
Weah96:

They too were geeking. Hahaha.

"Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behaviour and information processing. They open you up to the possibility that everything you know is wrong."

Terence McKenna

Yeah. But whether all the primitive cultures of the world were under psychedelic herbs is still something we should worry about.
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by plaetton: 3:17am On Oct 13, 2014
Weah96:

Which one is closer to the truth, in your opinion: that the writers of the bible encountered real and actual aliens, or that they were under the influence of entheogens?
The consistency of tales from all ancient cultures leads me to conclude that the ancients encountered non-terrestial beings whose presence were much more active in those days.
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by Weah96: 4:49am On Oct 13, 2014
plaetton:

The consistency of tales from all ancient cultures leads me to conclude that the ancients encountered non-terrestial beings whose presence were much more active in those days.

Undoubtedly. But reality suggests that the encounters may have been hallucinations.
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by plaetton: 4:55am On Oct 13, 2014
Weah96:

Undoubtedly. But reality suggests that the encounters may have been hallucinations.
It's hard to say that Africa, the middle east, mesoamerica, all had similar hallucinations. Compared to modern UFO encounters, it is more likely that they had UFO encounters.

2 Likes

Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by Weah96: 5:12am On Oct 13, 2014
plaetton:

It's hard to say that Africa, the middle east, mesoamerica, all had similar hallucinations. Compared to modern UFO encounters, it is more likely that had UFO encounters.

I'm very skeptical about the authenticity of UFO encounters.
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by plaetton: 5:50am On Oct 13, 2014
Weah96:

I'm very skeptical about the authenticity of UFO encounters.

Why so, if I may ask?
Healthy skepticism is always encouraged, but there is a consistency in UFO sightings and encounters from credible sources that one cannot easily dismiss.
Re: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophy? by Nobody: 5:54am On Oct 13, 2014

(1) (Reply)

Is It A Sin To Get Pierced Or Tatooed? / VIDEO: Did TB Joshua Predict Buhari's Victory 5 Years Ago??? / China On Course To Become 'world's Most Christian Nation' Within 15 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.