Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Nigerian Words You Thought Were English - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Words You Thought Were English (96933 Views)

15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter / 13 Science “facts” You Thought Were True, But Are Actually Wrong! / 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 3:55pm On Oct 14, 2014
adonbilivit:
if you want to really whisper just know it is 3:51 "PM"...talking Dolcilicious
ok....yea.....yea...got dat
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 3:59pm On Oct 14, 2014
prettiest1:
grin It was a rib cracking one.
yea. It's obvious from the likes I keep getting every second.

Can't help but "laughed out loud" when I first saw it. It's something we all in one way or the other have experienced.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by kaylechy(m): 4:22pm On Oct 14, 2014
"Bleep" nko?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by prettiest1(f): 4:29pm On Oct 14, 2014
SmellMyFart:
yea. It's obvious from the likes I keep getting every second.

Can't help but "laughed out loud" when I first saw it. It's something we all in one way or the other have experienced.
I have experienced it. If you attain to them once, be ready for them at every other time.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Dolcilicious(f): 4:36pm On Oct 14, 2014
shockwave91:

*whispers* o yea, so ssshhhh not too loud

*whispers inaudibly* ok
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by beejayphako(m): 4:59pm On Oct 14, 2014
I remember using sha when I was defending ma project at school then. No be funny matter at all o.. I didn't mean to use it but since it has been like a normal word wey I dey use every now and then, the thing just slip for ma mouth o. Thank God I had no strict lecturer in attendance just d dr's. They were like did I just hear u use sha? Omo, na so I say no o, I didn't say it actually. Come see as dem take eye look me and d man wey dey access just bend head straight. Even ma project. Supervisor shake head for me cos av always been a bad boy in his eyes. I sha later got B sha for the project, lucky charm I guess grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adonbilivit: 6:37pm On Oct 14, 2014
beejayphako:
I remember using sha when I was defending ma project at school then. No be funny matter at all o.. I didn't mean to use it but since it has been like a normal word wey I dey use every now and then, the thing just slip for ma mouth o. Thank God I had no strict lecturer in attendance just d dr's. They were like did I just hear u use sha? Omo, na so I say no o, I didn't say it actually. Come see as dem take eye look me and d man wey dey access just bend head straight. Even ma project. Supervisor shake head for me cos av always been a bad boy in his eyes. I sha later got B sha for the project, lucky charm I guess grin
lucky you. nice...maybe they intended awarding you A earlier sha
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by seangy4konji: 7:58pm On Oct 14, 2014
Isgaju.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by raphy(m): 8:19pm On Oct 14, 2014
d thread dey long o make i come kukuma make small noise before dey go.which country get all d language na ?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by whillyamz98(m): 9:05pm On Oct 14, 2014
You forgot to add "kanikpe, jare, kukuma,nko,ngbo" etc. I no fit mention all ooo
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Misella(f): 10:12pm On Oct 14, 2014
cool
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Jj222(f): 11:52pm On Oct 14, 2014
What of this word. Shaebi
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by onila(f): 4:54am On Oct 15, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
Oh my gosh grin grin grin 3 gbosa 4 u
angry
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 5:19am On Oct 15, 2014
Dolcilicious:

and ure still typing prolly? undecided
Look at ur big head lol
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Reasonablefm(m): 5:36am On Oct 15, 2014
Wat bout, let me be jawe..
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by bello(m): 6:06am On Oct 15, 2014
what of jaree
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by misshoree(f): 11:25am On Oct 15, 2014
SmellMyFart:
if you say so .......... *shrugs*.

By the way, I just got 10likes now grin. Lemme check.

Oh my God!! shocked. It's the same post. wink
grin
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 6:26pm On Oct 15, 2014
Why the recent obsession with English anyway
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by dsenator: 12:27am On Oct 16, 2014
you forgot to mention "na only u waka come"
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Seempliehuman(m): 6:39am On Oct 16, 2014
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Dolcilicious(f): 9:22am On Oct 16, 2014
kaya09:

Look at ur big head lol
lol smiley....my head is big! shocked
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by TS2(m): 4:43pm On Oct 16, 2014
adonbilivit:
these are words the average Nigerian uses when speaking english on daily basis. i bet most of us think they are really english words while some know they are not but still use them because they have been sort of accepted as correct. they are no longer considered blunders in grammar by Nigerians but if you dare use them during interviews and other corporate activities you are on your own (oyo). here they are:

1. sef: we often use this word in place of "anyway". i hear people say things like "what is it sef"?

2. eiya or heiya: this is used when u feel sorry for someone. for example, if a friend tells you armed rubbers attacked him your response will most likely be "eiya, hope they didn't injure you sha"?

3. sha: as you can see i used it in point 2 above. Nigerians use it in place of the word "though". here is an example; "I am tired but i will still work sha"...i am very much guilty of this point right here. when i use the word "though" most people don't seem to understand me.

4. na: hmmm, i don't even know the english word that can be substituted with this. we tend to use it when we are trying to make something clear to people. here is how we use it:

john: which of them bro?

james: the black one na

5. joor: this one seems to lack a substitute too. it usually portrays some kind of aggression and anger when used. when for instance, a guy is pestering a girl she might say something like "leave me alone joor".

6. shey: this one is used instead of "right". it is often applied when asking question. e.g "you saw Aminu yesterday, shey? notice that it took the place of "right" in the sentence.

Only a dumb dodo/illiterate will think the words you mentioned are English.

Waste of time, eye, brain and keyboard to even type a re4sponse to this trash.

Goodbye....and you dare not beg me to come back.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adonbilivit: 5:18pm On Oct 16, 2014
TS2:

are u 4 real? Beg u 2 come back? #NEVERCOMEBACK. Lol
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 7:19pm On Oct 16, 2014
Lol...d Igbo word 'nkowa' meaning describe or tell or narrate sometimes shortened to 'kowa'. It has now been Englishized to kowaciate...I remember asking someone to spell it for me so I'd use it in a report..rofl
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Gorgeous58(f): 10:40pm On Oct 16, 2014
Wow! Insightful
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by saalma(f): 7:46am On Oct 17, 2014
adonbilivit:
i dash u d change

Cheaper for you
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by LiciaJ(f): 2:04pm On Oct 25, 2014
I shout SOTE EEEEEEE my voice crack...
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by luckyaz53: 3:58am On Nov 11, 2014
[color=#000099][/color][i][/i]ME FAIL ENGLISH? UNPOSSIBLE...
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Cwaya(m): 2:44pm On Nov 17, 2014
Loftyboy:
'Noni' is use to replace 'like that' e.g either u like it or not, u must go noni

Oga Boss I greet,
Good day to you, i'm cwaya and i come in peace grin.
I just need your vote in Mr. Nairaland Contest.
Voting takes place in Romance Section.
Please Vote Cwaya Tomorrow from 10 am to 5pm.
Thanks !! cool smiley
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Kowor(f): 4:52pm On Jan 28, 2015
It have tayed that I have yeard it but shugbon u r correct.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Kowor(f): 4:55pm On Jan 28, 2015
TS2:

U dey rage ooo. In oda words u dey vex.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by lilliesboy(m): 6:04pm On Apr 09, 2018
That "joor" word actually irritate me.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Preparing for GRE / Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.