Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,668 members, 7,816,749 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Nigerian Words You Thought Were English - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Words You Thought Were English (96903 Views)

15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter / 13 Science “facts” You Thought Were True, But Are Actually Wrong! / 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Mbediogu(m): 9:22pm On Oct 13, 2014
barackohandso:
What about 'kukuma' ?

Atoh or toh (alright; no argument). Beeni (it is so). Oya (ok). Hanlele (immediately). Garagara or magamaga or hazahaza or shakara (un-neccesary showanship).
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by DaBullIT(m): 9:24pm On Oct 13, 2014
I no understand wetin dey happen for NL SEF but he no pain me SHA , SHEY NA this kin story dey enter FP?

I for dey talk dey go sha but my MB don finish joor. Eeya he pain me o
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Pamcrest(f): 9:25pm On Oct 13, 2014
Op, it's not correct that "most" people think these words are English, what do u take us for? Some of them are actually from our local dialects n we know so. Stop under rating us....abeg!
My humble submission
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Emilliw3m(m): 9:25pm On Oct 13, 2014
Indomie
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by franklytrue(m): 9:26pm On Oct 13, 2014
onila:
i have never considered any broken english word to be english undecided

You said it, broken (diluted) ENGLISH. :-)
Who knows if some 'olden' days people think it is normal English (new words added to dictionary) when it is spoken with other proper English words, like: Shey you say you are coming abi? I stayed there tay tay. This boy can make noise SEF (also/in addition) etc.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adelolaa(m): 9:28pm On Oct 13, 2014
Thank God, åm not guilty sha grin
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by tola9ja: 9:28pm On Oct 13, 2014
if i nak u you sabi am
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Tex42(m): 9:33pm On Oct 13, 2014
Shollay20:
Nairaland is my home
Nairaland is my teacher
Nairaland is my drinks
Nairaland, could you marry me please?

Full meaning of Nairaland
Nigeria nairaland
Amiable nairaland
International nairaland
Respective nairaland
A1 nairaland
Logistic nairaland
Able nairaland
Nutrition nairaland
Durable nairaland
god punish marijuana
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 13, 2014
adonbilivit:
these are words the average Nigerian uses when speaking english on daily basis. i bet most of us think they are really english words while some know they are not but still use them because they have been sort of accepted as correct. they are no longer considered blunders in grammar by Nigerians but if you dare use them during interviews and other corporate activities you are on your own (oyo). here they are:

1. sef: we often use this word in place of "anyway". i hear people say things like "what is it sef"?

2. eiya or heiya: this is used when u feel sorry for someone. for example, if a friend tells you armed rubbers attacked him your response will most likely be "eiya, hope they didn't injure you sha"?

3. sha: as you can see i used it in point 2 above. Nigerians use it in place of the word "though". here is an example; "I am tired but i will still work sha"...i am very much guilty of this point right here. when i use the word "though" most people don't seem to understand me.

4. na: hmmm, i don't even know the english word that can be substituted with this. we tend to use it when we are trying to make something clear to people. here is how we use it:

john: which of them bro?

james: the black one na

5. joor: this one seems to lack a substitute too. it usually portrays some kind of aggression and anger when used. when for instance, a guy is pestering a girl she might say something like "leave me alone joor".

6. shey: this one is used instead of "right". it is often applied when asking question. e.g "you saw Aminu yesterday, shey? notice that it took the place of "right" in the sentence.

Rubbish! undecided
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 9:41pm On Oct 13, 2014
adonbilivit:
Never condescend on peope...no one knows it all.

I think....#point down \|/ knows it all....

Jennydoris:
Adonbilivit that all these are English words... Hmmmm, NAWAOO!

Na waooh!!!
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by tomiobj(m): 9:42pm On Oct 13, 2014
adonbilivit:
let him copy it already na. acknowledge me sha. i wont sue him but i go carry am go court
. Ok ooo. Cum nd carry me from my location. Infact I don't know d judge that is jobless enof to kill me for copying one post
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 9:43pm On Oct 13, 2014
abi
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 9:43pm On Oct 13, 2014
Pamcrest:
Op, it's not correct that "most" people think these words are English, what do u take us for? Some of them are actually from our local dialects n we know so. Stop under rating us....abeg!
My humble submission

Tell him pls.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 13, 2014
Pamcrest:
My humble submission

Pls tell him.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 9:47pm On Oct 13, 2014
chlowi:

Hope you did grin
yes i did,tank u for wishing me madness lol
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 13, 2014
Abeg xplain dis "abi" for me na
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Bitojoe(m): 9:52pm On Oct 13, 2014
All na yoruba English.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Bitojoe(m): 9:52pm On Oct 13, 2014
All na yoruba English,abi?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by darkjorse: 9:54pm On Oct 13, 2014
is only you and your family members that thought it was english
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adonbilivit: 9:58pm On Oct 13, 2014
Pamcrest:
My humble submission
my apologies if this post got to you
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 13, 2014
This one is a common word used by gurls in Abia state uni(Absu): KWANU e.g Absu gurls be like "who cares kwanu?" grin
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Maximus85(m): 10:00pm On Oct 13, 2014
Lesbianest -lets be honest.

Jooor is please in an anger or semi anger too.

Lemme jooor - leave me please.

Impossicant - it is impossible and can't happen.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Pamcrest(f): 10:06pm On Oct 13, 2014
adonbilivit:
my apologies if this post got to you

Am cool oo. We live to learn everyday.
Stay blessed
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 13, 2014
Picture or adonbilivit undecided grin
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by eunisam: 10:12pm On Oct 13, 2014
'abi and abeg' follow?
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by misshoree(f): 10:18pm On Oct 13, 2014
kaya09:

Do u hate me dt much?
something like that
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by misshoree(f): 10:19pm On Oct 13, 2014
SmellMyFart:
com'n. Are you a sadist? undecided.

If that post didn't make you laugh, then two Things i suspect.

1. You don't understand pidgin.

2. You're not in Nigeria. Even if you are, you probably are based in the north.

Permit me to add number 3,,,,
you're a sadist undecided

read the comment above this by the way.
am none of the above grin

The writeup or whatever yu call it wasn't funny tongue
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by kellyJames5(m): 10:24pm On Oct 13, 2014
Tex42:
lol!. i don die for laugh here o!

this one is strong!, i said this one is strong!. bring the holy cane!!!
Please don't flog me
I don learn am.
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 10:25pm On Oct 13, 2014
misshoree:
am none of the above grin

The writeup or whatever yu call it wasn't funny tongue
it speaks volumes for itself sweery. Check back the post and see the number of "likes" I have amassed.

I wonder how your boyfriend manage to make you smile wink.

tongue
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by kellyJames5(m): 10:25pm On Oct 13, 2014
Izmil:

It means dis wan is strong
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 10:28pm On Oct 13, 2014
Wen last did u read a current dictionary? My friend go n get one n THANK ME with UR KNEELS.......
Bibol:

One funny thing about Nigerians. They will be wrong and still be feeling cool about it. Oga, it's pay "in installments". There's no word like installmentally. Now you can thank us.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Preparing for GRE / Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.