Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,225 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

Learning African Languages - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Learning African Languages (14490 Views)

African Languages And Cultures Need To Be Eliminated As Soon As Possible. / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / European Languages Are Killing African Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Learning African Languages by fightforchange1(f): 8:34pm On Oct 13, 2014
fightforchange1:

The sad part is a lot don't know the meaning or significance of a name we have.

I know the origin and meaning of my name.
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 13, 2014
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 7:12am On Oct 15, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Taequan
Lashonda
Kalisha
Jaequan
Lawanda
Lakeisha

Can you please tell us what they mean?

A true name is one with a meaning or one given based on meaning. A name isn't a name if it has no meaning. I would like to know the meaning of those names above.

What does John, Timothy, Stewie, Jerry, Steven, Sam, Scott, Brad, Taylor, etc. etc. all mean as well? A true name is one with a meaning right?
Re: Learning African Languages by bigfrancis21: 1:57pm On Oct 15, 2014
Fulaman198:

What does John, Timothy, Stewie, Jerry, Steven, Sam, Scott, Brad, Taylor, etc. etc. all mean as well? A true name is one with a meaning right?

Believe me, they all have meanings. Many of those names, and several other English names, are imported names from other languages and they have their meanings. Just do a quick google search on the meaning of each of those names you mentioned and you'll see their meaning online.

My name is Francis, for example. The name sounds meaningless to you right? However, the name is originally French and means 'freedom'. Apparently, I'm someone who values his freedom a lot. I do not like being bound unnecessarily. I like my freedom. One's name affects one's character, as they say.
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 4:32pm On Oct 15, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Believe me, they all have meanings. Many of those names, and several other English names, are imported names from other languages and they have their meanings. Just do a quick google search on the meaning of each of those names you mentioned and you'll see their meaning online.

My name is Francis, for example. The name sounds meaningless to you right? However, the name is originally French and means 'freedom'. Apparently, I'm someone who values his freedom a lot. I do not like being bound unnecessarily. I like my freedom. One's name affects one's character, as they say.

Freedom in French is 'liberté'. Most names like Brad, Stephanie, Susan, Tom, Tim, Jennifer, Bob, etc have no meaning. Smith has a meaning (like blacksmith). However most of these names have no meaning.

This stems from Nigerian inferiority complex to whites but falsely placed superiority complex to African Americans cheesy right bro?

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 15, 2014
^bruv yo lyin. those names have nice meanings even. just find out their full form first.

where I was and am still amused are the ghetto sounding ones that are usually tongue-twisting and longish
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 5:57pm On Oct 15, 2014
spotit:
^bruv yo lyin. those names have nice meanings even. just find out their full form first.

where I was and am still amused are the ghetto sounding ones that are usually tongue-twisting and longish

You are the one lying with your inferiority complex to whites.

So what is the meaning of Brad then?

What is the meaning of Jennifer then? You just talk nonsense. What your text proves is that you are a hater of African American culture. What is the meaning of Susan? What's the meaning of Alice. You are full of crap. You are just a mental slave that thinks white English derived names are superior to African American derived names. Take your Uncle Tom butt back to town.

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 6:24pm On Oct 15, 2014
Fulaman198:

What is the meaning of Jennifer then? You just talk nonsense. What your text proves is that you are a hater of African American culture. What is the meaning of Susan? What's the meaning of Alice. You are full of crap. You are just a mental slave that thinks white English derived names are superior to African American derived names. Take your Uncle Tom butt back to town.
I know you can be immature...still hurting from my sarcastic joke from a past thread? hehehe

Bradley means a big open space or cleared road in the forest. Old English
Susan means a graceful lily(I'm not even gonna teach you what symbolic meanings a lily holds). Hebrew.

Alice means a child(girl) of Noble disposition. Or simply Nobility. Celtic

Jennifer means Beautiful(fair) and agreeable. Welsh.

Just to add, you think you know me? You're a worse inferior minded afrocentrist...I'm a better and harder afrocentrist than u can ever be. Stop writing nonsense if you can't discern somebody's standpoint first of all. And who told you i bear and advocate for massa names?
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 6:34pm On Oct 15, 2014
spotit:

I know you can be immature...still hurting from my sarcastic joke from a past thread? hehehe

Bradley means a big open space or cleared road in the forest. Old English
Susan means a graceful lily(I'm not even gonna teach you what symbolic meanings a lily holds). Hebrew.

Alice means a child(girl) of Noble disposition. Or simply Nobility. Celtic

Jennifer means Beautiful(fair) and agreeable. Welsh.

Just to add, you think you know me? You're a worse inferior minded afrocentrist...I'm a better and harder afrocentrist than u can ever be. Stop writing nonsense if you can't discern somebody's standpoint first of all.

No I'm just one who doesn't believe that white derived names are better than or superior to Black American names. Those who think so are suffering from vast inferiority complex. If you are under the belief that white derived names from Western Europe are better than other names then that is a vast inferiority complex.

In regards to my immaturity, I have my moments. However, I do not go about telling others they are "wrong" in an unprofessional manner like you did.

3 Likes

Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 15, 2014
Fulaman198:

No I'm just one who doesn't believe that white derived names are better than or superior to Black American names. Those who think so are suffering from vast inferiority complex. If you are under the belief that white derived names from Western Europe are better than other names then that is a vast inferiority complex.

In regards to my immaturity, I have my moments. However, I do not go about telling others they are "wrong" in an unprofessional manner like you did.
Who in this thread has said that white or European names are better? Maybe francis... And who told you i bear and advocate for massa names? The names I'm talking about, you couldn't find their meanings easily if there were any..

Derived from posh-sounding syllables that end up tawdry and befuddling. The bearers are the more confused and inferior minded ones you should blame. And I'm not sure how unprofessional it is to point out subtly/sarcastically that Tom, Bob, Tim, Brad and a host of others like them are just shorts for longer names. I apologise for the unprofessional, albeit informal method I used..

2 Likes

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 7:55pm On Oct 15, 2014
spotit:
Who in this thread has said that white or European names are better? Maybe francis... And who told you i bear and advocate for massa names? The names I'm talking about, you couldn't find their meanings easily if there were any..derived from posh-sounding syllables that end up tawdry and befuddling. The bearers are the more confused and inferior minded ones you should blame. And I'm not sure how unprofessional it is to point out subtly/sarcastically that Tom, Bob, Tim, Brad and a host of others like them are just shorts for longer names. I apologise for the unprofessional, albeit informal method I used..

No worries, I did come off as a bit brash and immature because I'm a bit tired of blacks putting down other blacks or Africans putting down other Africans. I apologise as well for my brash and bold attitude.
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 15, 2014
Fulaman198:

No worries, I did come off as a bit brash and immature because I'm a bit tired of blacks putting down other blacks or Africans putting down other Africans. I apologise as well for my brash and bold attitude.
no qualms bro, i know the men i respect here...but it's funny how quickly i tend to take a swipe at them...especially when they come at me from a wicked sarcasm I'd posted...I'm not always that so serious with my keen or charging comments...i laugh stupid sometimes

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by macof(m): 9:27pm On Oct 15, 2014
Fulaman198:

I know John is originally Hebrew/Semitic Yahanna >Latin Johanna means Yahweh's favour
Re: Learning African Languages by bigfrancis21: 5:18am On Oct 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

Freedom in French is 'liberté'. Most names like Brad, Stephanie, Susan, Tom, Tim, Jennifer, Bob, etc have no meaning. Smith has a meaning (like blacksmith). However most of these names have no meaning.

This stems from Nigerian inferiority complex to whites but falsely placed superiority complex to African Americans cheesy right bro?

Bro, I never said nor implied anywhere that English names were better than AA names. I only proposed that AAs should adopt African names with meaning to reclaim their ancestry. You came up with all the English-name theory in the first place. The truth is many AA names tend to have no meaning. Some are formed by a combination of name parts of other names into one name. I've looked up websites of AA names and they don't seem to give meanings of the names, they just list the names in alphabetical order and that's it.

All those English names you listed up there do indeed have meanings. spotit did a good job of showing you the meanings of some those names you listed. I expected that you would google up the names first to see their meanings before fronting them as names you think that have no meaning.

The meaning of Francis is 'freedom' or 'free'. It is online and you can look it up yourself and confirm.

Finally, in my post I was only advocating for AAs to revert back to their African identity, their true identity, what was rightfully theirs before stripped from them.
Re: Learning African Languages by bigfrancis21: 5:22am On Oct 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

@bold...LOL. Bro, where are you getting this from? Where did I mention or imply such thinking in my post? cheesy

Have you forgotten that AA names are white-derived and English names already, as you described, and I was advocating for them to adopt African names...the actual reverse of what you're acusing me of? grin
Re: Learning African Languages by bigfrancis21: 5:27am On Oct 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

I think you seriously need redefine what you refer to as 'inferiority complex to whites'. Many christian Asians, Indians, Latinos, Arabs etc bear English names but you are quick to deem Africans as having inferiority complex for bearing the same English names other non-african nationalities bear.
Re: Learning African Languages by fightforchange1(f): 5:25pm On Oct 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

There r meanings to those names look it up...
Re: Learning African Languages by fightforchange1(f): 5:43pm On Oct 16, 2014
Names like Aisha r multicultural names that from Japanese Arabic African culture!!!
Who would a thunk it
Re: Learning African Languages by fightforchange1(f): 5:46pm On Oct 16, 2014
@ bigfrancis try urbandictionary.Com
Look up black names...
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 6:33pm On Oct 16, 2014
fightforchange1:
@ bigfrancis try urbandictionary.Com
Look up black names...
lmao...urbandictionary? pure comedy...that's where i get a wondrous amusement sometimes! look up steve jobs, apple or iphone there... u'll faint from laughter... my point is...definitions from there couldn't be taken any seriously..

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by fightforchange1(f): 6:48pm On Oct 16, 2014
spotit:
lmao...urbandictionary? pure comedy...that's where i get a wondrous amusement sometimes! look up steve jobs, apple or iphone there... u'll faint from laughter... my point is...definitions from there couldn't be taken any seriously..

That's origin of names begins....its not just that website cheesy
Re: Learning African Languages by fightforchange1(f): 7:08pm On Oct 16, 2014
My names greek. Stacey it means resurrection...
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 9:25pm On Oct 16, 2014
bigfrancis21:

I think you seriously need redefine what you refer to as 'inferiority complex to whites'. Many christian Asians, Indians, Latinos, Arabs etc bear English names but you are quick to deem Africans as having inferiority complex for bearing the same English names other non-african nationalities bear.

Bro, those are English names not Biblical name (except John, but Susan and Brad lolllll no cheesy). Most Chinese, Indians, and Arabs adopt English "nicknames" or surnames when they go to the west. That's also inferiority complex and butt kissing. It's not the names they are born with. I knew a few Chinese who did that only to fit in. The reason I'm more concerned about African inferiority complex is because I'm African and would like to address the issues of inferiority complex within the African continent first starting with Nigeria (my country and your country). I feel that if we dismiss all forms of inferiority complex and butt-kissing, we will be doing a whole lot better.
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 9:25pm On Oct 16, 2014
fightforchange1:
Names like Aisha r multicultural names that from Japanese Arabic African culture!!!
Who would a thunk it

Aisha is a Muslim name originally Arabic.

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by fightforchange1(f): 9:30pm On Oct 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

Aisha is a Muslim name originally Arabic.

Its all of the three...
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 9:32pm On Oct 16, 2014
fightforchange1:

Its all of the three...

We Africans got the name Aisha from the Arabs, the Japanese variant of Aisha is indeed different. In Africa, we also have different variations of the name Aisha.

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by fightforchange1(f): 9:33pm On Oct 16, 2014
fightforchange1:

Its all of the three...

Type the name in Google...
Re: Learning African Languages by fightforchange1(f): 10:09pm On Oct 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

We Africans got the name Aisha from the Arabs, the Japanese variant of Aisha is indeed different. In Africa, we also have different variations of the name Aisha.
We have both understood that all 3 have incorporated that name...
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 10:21pm On Oct 16, 2014
fightforchange1:

We have both understood that all 3 have incorporated that name...

No, Africans never had Aisha as a name before contact with Arab muslims. Aisha in Africa is a name used only by African Muslims.
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

Bro, those are English names not Biblical name (except John, but Susan and Brad lolllll no cheesy). Most Chinese, Indians, and Arabs adopt English "nicknames" or surnames when they go to the west. That's also inferiority complex and butt kissing. It's not the names they are born with. I knew a few Chinese who did that only to fit in. The reason I'm more concerned about African inferiority complex is because I'm African and would like to address the issues of inferiority complex within the African continent first starting with Nigeria (my country and your country). I feel that if we dismiss all forms of inferiority complex and butt-kissing, we will be doing a whole lot better.
bruv, as a fulaman you are, i take it that you're not digging deep into the afro-asiatic roots linking your native language with all the other semitic languages because even in my ears, susanna sounds chadic already and i get that weird feeling when you include my heartthrob's name in your list.

if nigerians had a collective complex, it must be in the superiority cos the average nigerian doesn't take no nor orders anywhere... even from your glorified whiteman.
Re: Learning African Languages by bigfrancis21: 10:27pm On Oct 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

@bold...Bro, most Igbos being predominantly christians answer christian(biblical) names such as Thomas, Paul, Philip, Michael etc. It is very hard to see Igbo people bearing names like Brad, Bobby, Bradley, Woods which are purely English names...so where's that coming from? You brought up this English name thingy in the first place when there was not an iota of that mentioned here previously.

How about Hausas who bear 99% arabic names and hardly hausa names? Aren't arabs caucasians too? Well, maybe yellow caucasians. What's left of the hausa culture except the language? A culture usurped by everything arabic and the only evidence left of a once-flourishing culture is the langauge which has been heavily influenced by Arabic. In fact, I am yet to come across a typical hausa name or surname. Almost every name borne by a hausa is arabic...mohammed, ibrahim, musa, abdullahi. These people take arabic names in light of the religion which they represent. Why get worked up over christians taking up christian names which happen to be biblical and English? In your definition of inferiority complex, the hausas properly fit your definition. Nothing's left of their culture except their arabic-heavily-influenced language. You ought to channel your activism towards them. wink

2 Likes

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 10:36pm On Oct 16, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@bold...Bro, most Igbos being predominantly christians answer christian(biblical) names such as Thomas, Paul, Philip, Michael etc. It is very hard to see Igbo people bearing names like Brad, Bobby, Bradley, Woods which are purely English names...so where's that coming from? You brought up this English name thingy in the first place when there was not an iota of that mentioned here previoously.

How about Hausas who bear 99% arabic names and hardly hausa names? Aren't arabs caucasians too? Well, maybe yellow caucasians. What's left of the hausa culture except the language? A culture usurped by everything arabic and the only evidence left of a once-flourishing culture is the langauge which has been heavily influenced by Arabic. In fact, I am yet to come across a typical hausa name or surname. Almost every name borne by a hausa is arabic...mohammed, ibrahim, musa, abdullahi. These people take arabic names in light of the religion which they represent. Why get worked up over christians taking up christian names which happen to be biblical and English? In your definition of inferiority complex, the hausas properly fit your definition. Nothing's left of their culture except their arabic-heavily-influenced language. You ought to channel your activism towards them. wink

Actually Hausa names are quite common. Like the Igbo, the Hausa keep their last names. Their first names tend to be Arabised West African variations of the original.

Maigari is completely Hausa, no Arab influence smiley
Dangote is a completely Hausa name, no Arab influence
Shata is completely Hausa

Anything with 'Dan', 'Mai' like Danladi or Maiguida, etc. etc. are pure Hausa names. Whilst the Hausa have admittedly borrowed elements of Arab culture, their music which involves Gurmi, Kalangu, Goje/Goge, Kontigi, etc. etc. is purely Hausa. Arabs and Hausas sing completely differently. In general stuff from the Sahel is much different from the Arab world. Yes, the religion has had some influence on the Hausa culture, however the Hausa and Arab cultures are quite distinct.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Are The Chances Of Success For An Arranged Marriage? / What Happened To The "Nkan Nbe" Type Of Programs? / How Do U Spell (weed) In Yoruba, Is It Igbo? Or Egbo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.