Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,241 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

Learning African Languages - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Learning African Languages (14491 Views)

African Languages And Cultures Need To Be Eliminated As Soon As Possible. / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / European Languages Are Killing African Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 5:01am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

ROFLLLLL you and Axum would get along smiley, I mean with the utmost respect. I admire the respect you have for our people and the fact that you don't have a Westernised view. However, if you go to Europe or America, we are classified as Balee'en or black people.

I am just being candid, --- You as well as Myself know that Fulanis view themselves with some sort of racial superiority....but times are changing , and fast.... In the West they call Mulattoes and 1/4 Black people black, that is how their society works..... We are talking about Africans here..
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 5:04am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

I am just being candid, --- You as well as Myself know that Fulanis view themselves with some sort of racial superiority....but times are changing , and fast.... In the West they call Mulattoes and 1/4 Black people black, that is how their society works..... We are talking about Africans here..

Yah but it's wrong to do so, it goes against what we say about ourselves "semteende woni pullo". Where is the humility or modesty when we think we are better?
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 5:05am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

Yah but it's wrong to do so, it goes against what we say about ourselves "semteende woni pullo". Where is the humility or modesty when we think we are better?

Okay, you are not denying it- so where does this concept come from?
What do we see in ourselves that makes us think we are 'better" than other?
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 5:07am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

ROFLLLLL you and Axum would get along smiley, I mean with the utmost respect. I admire the respect you have for our people and the fact that you don't have a Westernised view. However, if you go to Europe or America, we are classified as Balee'en or black people.

Axum is a Somali superiorist, to him, somalis are the best thing to ever happen to planet earth and it's diverse peoples. I have no such idea- I am simply stating historical facts.

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 5:08am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

Okay, you are not denying it- so where does this concept come from?
What do we see in ourselves that makes us think we are 'better" than other?

I don't want to sound like an ethnic bigot because I love all African people. Most people automatically assumed when I first came to NL that I had superiority complex, but I'm not that kind of guy. I believe that we are all equal.

Where one man can't see, another can see for him. Where one man can't walk another will walk for him.

The so-called "good looks, tall height, etc. etc. all of that can disappear. Alright, you and I may be educated Fulani from Nigeria but compared to other ethnic groups are we the most educated? (I'm not counting Fulani from Guinea or Senegal because I know some of them who are very educated that i have met at Tabital Pulaaku.)
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 5:09am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

Axum is a Somali superiorist, to him, somalis are the best thing to ever happen to planet earth and it's diverse peoples. I have no such idea- I am simply stating historical facts.

I understand my brother, I know you are a very intelligent person. I just don't want us to have this keep to ourselves mentality when we need other Africans (just as much as they need us) to improve the infrastructure of the continent.
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 5:15am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

I don't want to sound like an ethnic bigot because I love all African people. Most people automatically assumed when I first came to NL that I had superiority complex, but I'm not that kind of guy. I believe that we are all equal.

Where one man can't see, another can see for him. Where one man can't walk another will walk for him.

The so-called "good looks, tall height, etc. etc. all of that can disappear. Alright, you and I may be educated Fulani from Nigeria but compared to other ethnic groups are we the most educated? (I'm not counting Fulani from Guinea or Senegal because I know some of them who are very educated that i have met at Tabital Pulaaku.)

Educational status, Looks, prestige, population- these are al fluid aspects of any particular century. Humans are dynamic.
The static things are the things in the here and the now. To delve into the the origins of the Fulbe (as they exist in 2014) - in my humble opinion, would involve the interractions between more than 1 race.
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 5:17am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

I understand my brother, I know you are a very intelligent person. I just don't want us to have this keep to ourselves mentality when we need other Africans (just as much as they need us) to improve the infrastructure of the continent.

True. We all need one another - Let us all live as one big haapy family, and sing Kumbaya cheesy

On a more serious note though, you are right. No group is an island of all knowledge or fully independent and totally self reliant.

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 5:21am On Nov 11, 2014
Omarbah:

well there are many Fulanis that like to consider themselves a separate race. I doubt Bororojo is one of them though.
It seems like he doubts the theories about our language and origin, understandably so.
But what do I know, lol

The concept of race is very fluid. If they consider themselves to be a different "race" so be it. I can say the Yoruba race or the Zulu race or the Dinka race, or I can lump them all together and use the 'Negroid" race instead. It all depends. The popular races of today, that exist on a global consciousness are all 'Macro-Races"....i.e "White, Black, Asian" -- The deeper you start going into each supposed racial communities, then you would start seeing that things are not supposedly just Black and White, like "Oh, you must be black or White or Asian or Native American, you must choose one, or be Nothing ....lol" .... Even Koreans and Chinese as similar as they seem to be, see themselves as individual "Micro-races" , If I may use that word. Same with many other groups around the world, who are fiercely independent.
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 5:23am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

Educational status, Looks, prestige, population- these are al fluid aspects of any particular century. Humans are dynamic.
The static things are the things in the here and the now. To delve into the the origins of the Fulbe (as they exist in 2014) - in my humble opinion, would involve the interractions between more than 1 race.

Ok, I understand your insight, however one can not delve into the origins of the Fulbe (as we exist in 2014) without analyzing all groups of Fulbe from Senegal to Centr. African Rep/Sudan. Some of us still live the traditional lifestyle of cattle herding, some of us have taken up science, technology and a more futuristic type of life (which you probably have taken, I know I have but I still keep it real with my roots). The origin of the Fulani is the Ladde or the Bush, we can not forget that, where our cattles graze and we herd them for hundreds of kilometres year in and year out, that much we know about our origin.

I bet you the typical City Fulani for example knows nothing about cattle-herding or even the importance of Kossam and Biradam, they don't care for those things. But it's also part of our tradition. As much as many 'modernised' Fulani don't want to admit it, Gerewol, Worso, etc. is a part of our tradition, it still happens in the funaange.

One thing that every Fulani person has though is pride, that's something a so-called modernised Fulani and Fulani still living the way of our ancestors have in common.

You may think I have a backwards mentality for saying this and call me a merejo but that's fine brother. However, sometimes I think we would have been more traditional w/o Islam.
Re: Learning African Languages by Omarbah: 5:25am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

The concept of race is very fluid. If they consider themselves to be a different "race" so be it. I can say the Yoruba race or the Zulu race or the Dinka race, or I can lump them all together and use the 'Negroid" race instead. It all depends. The popular races of today, that exist on a global consciousness are all 'Macro-Races"....i.e "White, Black, Asian" -- The deeper you start going into each supposed racial communities, then you would start seeing that things are not supposedly just Black and White, like "Oh, you must be black or White or Asian or Native American".... Even Koreans and Chinese as similar as they seem to be, see themselves as individual "Micro-races" , If I may use that word.
yes if we refine the concept of race as we know it today.
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 5:28am On Nov 11, 2014
If we go by your definition of race Bororojo my dear brother, then the Fulani are comprised of different races. We have the house Fulani who are completely naive of the traditional ways, and we have the true nomadic Fulani who are still involved with the old ways. The nomadic Fulani are more pure and less mixed, yet there are still some similarities between both groups.
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 5:32am On Nov 11, 2014
Omarbah:

yes if we refine the concept of race as we know it today.

True- On a Global level, there are less than 5 races, if it is even up to that.... so why should I even bother with what the NBC or BBC news caster thinks I am??
The concept of race is useless..... Humans all exist within a spectrum in which it would be virtually impossible to separate each individual colour. Depending on the view, there could be just 1 race (The Human race), 4 races (Negroid, Caucasian, Mongoloid... bla bla) or 1,000 races (Asians, Indians, Australian aborigines, Native Americans, Arabs, Fulanis, Egyptians, Etc bla bla)..... It all depends. Hence why i don't blame people for choosing what they want to be viewed as.
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 5:36am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

True- On a Global level, there are less than 5 races, if it is even up to that.... so why should I even bother with what the NBC or BBC news caster thinks I am??
The concept of race is useless..... Humans all exist within a spectrum in which it would be virtually impossible to separate each individual colour. Depending on the view, there could be just 1 race (The Human race), 4 races (Negroid, Caucasian, Mongoloid... bla bla) or 1,000 races (Asians, Indians, Australian aborigines, Native Americans, Arabs, Fulanis, Egyptians, Etc bla bla)..... It all depends. Hence why i don't blame people for choosing what they want to be viewed as.

I think we need to understand one thing here and not misconstrue things.

Arabs are an ethnolinguistic group. Let me expatiate on what I'm saying.

If you go to Lebanon or Syria, those guys are not real Arabs, right? or even Jordan. A lot of them are Just Arab speakers with Greek, Roman, etc. blood. Take a look at a Shua/Shuwa for example (whom he/she also thinks they are Arab) and compare them to a Jordanian. Or look at what Americans call Hispanics which are a plethora of skin colours ranging from white to black. The whole concept of race can be a very confusing thing.
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 5:37am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:
If we go by your definition of race Bororojo my dear brother, then the Fulani are comprised of different races. We have the house Fulani who are completely naive of the traditional ways, and we have the true nomadic Fulani who are still involved with the old ways. The nomadic Fulani are more pure and less mixed, yet there are still some similarities between both groups.

True, You can break Fulbe down even Further.
Shebi some Mbororo don't think they are the same people with the Town Fulani (And that is even within ourselves).... they Actually in their minds think that they are a different race, no kidding.
For example in Niger, the Wodaabe think they are different fromm the Fulbe gorgal (the ones that extend from Burkina), and in Cameroon the Mbororo'en thik they are different from their Adamawa'en brethren. Some dont even like being alled fulani, they will insist, I am Mbororo.

You see the point....

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 5:39am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

I think we need to understand one thing here and not misconstrue things.......

Yes I know, I am talking of the real original Arabs , as they exist in the Arabian peninsula, not "Arabs by virtue of language"

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 5:41am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

True, You can break Fulbe down even Further.
Shebi some Mbororo don't think they are the same people with the Town Fulani (And that is even within ourselves).... they Actually in their minds think that they are a different race, no kidding.

You see the point....

Yah I see your point and I think for some odd reason that you are a scientist grin
Re: Learning African Languages by Omarbah: 5:42am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

if you mean western education, not as much as the other groups. Part of it is due to the colonial history, I say part of it because now we can fix it. We have the freedom to do so. I remember Lamido Sanusi once said that the British did not promote education in the North of Nigeria because they wanted to avoid forming a progressive Muslim elite as it was the case in Egypt. Muslims knowing the An Nassara's history would have asked for their freedom sooner had they been well educated.
Now, almost all Fulanis and I am sure in Nigeria receive Islamic education. That too is a form of education. But where Northern Nigerians can kill two birds with one stone is promoting learning in Hausa or Fulfulde. You can promote the language and educate the people on a mass scale at the same time. This way, progress will not come at the expense of losing oneself.

2 Likes

Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 5:44am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

Yah I see your point and I think for some odd reason that you are a scientist grin

We are all scientists. Some just bother to delve deeper into the nature of things. wink

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 5:48am On Nov 11, 2014
Omarbah:

if you mean western education, not as much as the other groups. Part of it is due to the colonial history, I say part of it because now we can fix it. We have the freedom to do so. I remember Lamido Sanusi once said that the British did not promote education in the North of Nigeria because they wanted to avoid forming a progressive Muslim elite as it was the case in Egypt. Muslims knowing the An Nassara's history would have asked for their freedom sooner had they been well educated.
Now, almost all Fulanis and I am sure in Nigeria receive Islamic education. That too is a form of education. But where Northern Nigerians can kill two birds with one stone is promoting learning in Hausa or Fulfulde. You can promote the language and educate the people on a mass scale at the same time. This way, progress will not come at the expense of losing oneself.

Ko Pullo Windii!!
Haalama goonga, My blood brother. Sometimes I wish we had more Fulanis like the ones from Guinea in this country... but Alas, we are slightly different, lol
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 5:51am On Nov 11, 2014
HA!, we have totally highjacked this thread oh....lol
let us move to our own Jauleru (Canopy)...lol
Omarbah what do you call a canopy in F-FJ?
Re: Learning African Languages by Omarbah: 5:55am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:
HA!, we have totally highjacked this thread oh....lol
let us move to our own Jauleru (Canopy)...lol
Omarbah what do you call a canopy in F-FJ?
same word, Jaulere

2 Likes

Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 5:57am On Nov 11, 2014
Omarbah:

same word, Jaulere

shocked
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 5:59am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman, You can move all the discussion about us to our own thread (If you deem fit)
Re: Learning African Languages by Omarbah: 5:59am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

shocked
Lol I am serious.
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 6:02am On Nov 11, 2014
Omarbah:

Lol I am serious.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. smiley

What do you call Umbrella? "We say "Laimaru"
Those in Senegal use the French derivative.... lol. I almost fell off the chair from laughter, the day I discovered.
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 6:03am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

Ko Pullo Windii!!
Haalama goonga, My blood brother. Sometimes I wish we had more Fulanis like the ones from Guinea in this country... but Alas, we are slightly different, lol

Pullo funa pullo, we are the same, my father once said a Fulani from Guinea or Senegal is no different from a Fulani in Nigeria or Cameroon. We are connected.
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 6:05am On Nov 11, 2014
Omarbah:

You and Bororojo are extremely bright. I agree with you, I was just giving an example about how there is no such a thing as a superior group of people around the world. I just find our culture contradictory at times, we say to be humble and modest and to not want big things (like expensive cars or super expensive homes), but then we contradict ourselves and think we are better lolll
Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 6:05am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:
Fulaman, You can move all the discussion about us to our own thread (If you deem fit)

Ok I will make a new thread
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 6:06am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

Pullo funa pullo, we are the same, my father once said a Fulani from Guinea or Senegal is no different from a Fulani in Nigeria or Cameroon. We are connected.

Pullo Fuu no 'dum Pullo. Amma Sendude woodi hakkunde den..

1 Like

Re: Learning African Languages by Fulaman198(m): 6:07am On Nov 11, 2014
Bororojo:

Pullo Fuu no 'dum Pullo. Amma Sendude woodi hakkunde den..

Gonga!
Re: Learning African Languages by Nobody: 6:12am On Nov 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Maybe when spoken it sounds different from how its written

lol, it sounds just like it looks. I even went online to listen to Serer videos... bro, I was totally in nde nimre.
but i know one thing, that all three languages (F,W,S) tend to hold their breath when speaking so many words.... And the way they intonate can be sometimes very similar.... that is about all.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Are The Chances Of Success For An Arranged Marriage? / What Happened To The "Nkan Nbe" Type Of Programs? / How Do U Spell (weed) In Yoruba, Is It Igbo? Or Egbo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.