Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari (2950 Views)

I Changed My Mind After Watching Buhari's Documentary On AIT. / Certificate Saga: Withdraw From Presidential Race, PDP Tells Buhari / Ak 2015 Governorship Race: Why Umana Okon Umana Must Run (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by DEGREE2466(m): 5:20pm On Oct 14, 2014
Former Head of State and presidential aspirant of the All Progressives Congress (APC), General Muhammadu Buhari, has explained why he decided to vie for the highest political office in the country, after saying that he would not do so again.
This is coming ahead of Buhari’s formal declaration for the presidency tomorrow, at the Eagles Square, in Abuja.
In a letter he wrote to some prominent Nigerians, intimating them of his aspiration an asking for support, Buhari said he was concerned about the deterioration of the economy and security in the country, among others, and therefore, wants to offer his services to arrest the situation.
He stated that ever since he made public his intention not to contest for the presidency, he had been inundated by visits from prominent Nigerians and groups, urging him to rescind the decision:
“Just before the 2011 elections, which I contested, I said publicly, in a fit of pique, that that was my last outing as a presidential candidate. Days after that statement torrents of delegations, starting with one from Niger State led by Alhaji Umar Shu’aibu, then chairman of CPC, including a serving senator, three members of each House of Representatives and Niger Sate Assembly expressing strong opposition to my intentions. Another delegation from Kano State, led by General Abdulmalik Jibrin consisting of delegates from most of the local governments in the state came to express similar views. Since then, hardly a week passes without a concerned group or individuals visiting me and arguing that I was wrong to leave competitive politics.

“The stock answer I have always given is that we should first build a bigger party, a viable political platform before I could summon the courage to change my mind. In the meantime, all the indices of good government have deteriorated: insecurity, unemployment, power, failures, educational standards, health standards, the justice system. Wherever you turn, governance has taken a turn for the worse. Above all, corruption has taken a life of its own eating into every institution and every sector.”
Buhari stated that the situation in the country has become so bad that something needs to be done: “As responsible citizens all of us have a duty to contribute in whatever way we can to put our country in order.”
Recalling what he said in 1984, to the effect that Nigerians had no other nation than Nigeria, Buhari said happenings in the country “require even greater resolve and efforts to put our country in order. We face today not only a security situation pretty much out of control, but an economic situation dire because of disparity in incomes and opportunities. In the circumstances we all ‘have to do something’ to help our country.”
With the challenges the country is facing, Buhari stated that it would not be good, therefore, for any patriot to stay away from effort to change the situation:

“In the face of such a situation, one cannot say ‘I am tired’ and wash his or her hands off responsibility. Fatigue is not an option, in the face of injustice.”
Expressing confidence that with the APC, there is a big platform to challenge the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Buhari said: “Accordingly, in the last six months, we have been working very hard to bring major opposition political parties together to form a new platform to challenge and defeat PDP in 2015. The success of the exercise has given millions of Nigerians renewed hope that the APC has presented a different and a better option to the Nigerian people.”
He lamented that things are getting worse in the country, while corruption in government is increasing:
“Since 2003, successive PDP governments, having rigged themselves into office have become bolder in trampling on the rights of Nigerians; corruption is their capital and force, their raw-material. The populace is becoming increasingly impoverished with unemployment, especially youth unemployment at an alarming rate and with the dire security situation social cohesion is under grave threat.”
He said that with this, it was wise for him to once again vie for the country’s presidency:

“If my appreciation of the situation is correct, then no patriotic person will shy away from responsibility. I believe APC, as it now stands, is capable of dislodging the PDP government, in a free and fair election. Accordingly, after extensive consultations I am putting my name forward to my party, APC, for nomination to contest the presidential election in 2015. With the wealth of capable individuals in the party and the discipline and competence we can bring, we can make a radical change for the better to our country.”
He identified security, education, transportation, economy and strengthening weak institution as his major priorities.

The thing too plenty.

Visit

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=85951

To read the remaining
Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by DickDastardly(m): 5:26pm On Oct 14, 2014
Changed your mind to permanently pack into an "OLD PEOPLE's" home or what
Tired old bag of bones!

Say no to GEJ, BUHARI and ATIKU!

Today is the tomorrow this BEASTs promised us that we will lead, yet they still hover over us like hungry hawks over chicks angry

2 Likes

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by Emyben(m): 5:27pm On Oct 14, 2014
Rubbish...who is GMB deceiving. We always knew his Kins and regions Born2R mentality wouldnt allow him adhere to his declarationg. 65 and he wants to be president.

1 Like

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by MaleoPearls(m): 5:31pm On Oct 14, 2014
Ok. But...

1 Like

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by pelvicky(m): 5:36pm On Oct 14, 2014
Really?? Buhari wrote this or liar mohammed help him. D man has not even win atiku o, he is yawning thrash 4 the highest position in nigeria. Can this man be the number one citizen of nigeria?? Hell no..win your primary 1st abeg jare.

Anyway, GEJ TILL 2019

9 Likes

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 14, 2014
Sai Buhari (2015 -2023) grin

2 Likes

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 14, 2014
MaleoPearls:
Ok.
After reading his reasons, i conclude that Jonathan must go next year.

2 Likes

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by NgeneUkwenu(f): 5:40pm On Oct 14, 2014
Thats my president not some- daft -fedora -wearing tribal thief stealing Nigeria into coma!

Sai Buhari! Lets go there!

3 Likes

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by GODDYGEE91(m): 5:42pm On Oct 14, 2014
Na lie u de tell us jare, u just want 2 come and continue frm whr u stop. Anyway I wud make a walkin stick 4 u incase u make 2 Aso rock which is absolutely impossible.
Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by Canme4u(m): 5:43pm On Oct 14, 2014
Shai Buari 2015
People's General.

#TeamKickOutCluelessnessCome2015

1 Like

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by Godfullsam(m): 5:45pm On Oct 14, 2014
He changed his mind to what Abeg make him go rest joor. The man don old wela sad

5 Likes

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 14, 2014
cool cool cool

Obinoscopy and mynd44,does it mean this thread doesn't deserve front page? If its news about Buhari dated back in 1975,you mods will hurriedly push it to front page. angry

Yeye dey ooze! angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by overhypedsteve(m): 5:50pm On Oct 14, 2014
Grey
Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by idumuose(m): 5:52pm On Oct 14, 2014
Emyben:
Rubbish...who is GMB deceiving. We always knew his Kins and regions Born2R mentality wouldnt allow him adhere to his declarationg. 65 and he wants to be president.

65 and he wants to be president.
If Buhari were 65,then he is still a youth.Buhari is 74 years old.
He desires to be the 2nd nigerian president to die in office.Unfortunately,
he will not achieve that purpose.

4 Likes

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by lyntiffany(f): 6:02pm On Oct 14, 2014
Did you say 65? omo dat man na 75 joor.
Emyben:
Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by eunisam: 6:04pm On Oct 14, 2014
Say no to APC

Say no to GMB

Say no to old age

Say no to Liars

Just say yes to GEJ

Say yes to the power to the people

Click like if you like #GEJ 2015+2019.

GEJ is the sun that rise at midnight.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by OneNaira6: 6:05pm On Oct 14, 2014
He's power hungry. End of story
Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by EbuGeneral(m): 6:05pm On Oct 14, 2014
incase
Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by priscaoge(f): 6:05pm On Oct 14, 2014
Nigerian Politicians are big jokers cheesy
Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by alotofgrace(m): 6:08pm On Oct 14, 2014
dont border, it will change itsef
Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by chimerase2: 6:09pm On Oct 14, 2014
Change ur evil mind undecided
I knw after 2015 the next election he will still change his mind
Buhari ur destiny has finished
U didn't win the last election wen u had the opportunity to win
I dnt care who governs nigeria but ur fanatic yassh can never smell dat aso rock

3 Likes

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by Trailblazer1(m): 6:21pm On Oct 14, 2014
Dear Buhari,
I wasn't even born when you ruled Nigeria, my grand fathers who knew much about you are already in the grave. Could you please join them?

Thanks.
Yours sincerely,
Nigerian Youths.

3 Likes

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by Dayjhihannon01(m): 6:23pm On Oct 14, 2014
Even in his another life... He can't rule Nigeria again, make em nor change his mind only.... Make he change em head self

1 Like

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by eunisam: 6:25pm On Oct 14, 2014
Your time is up Buhariii

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 14, 2014
Dayjhihannon01:
Even in his another life... He can't rule Nigeria again, make em nor change his mind only.... Make he change em head self
shoo who you want make him rule you? shocked
Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by Dayjhihannon01(m): 6:37pm On Oct 14, 2014
missberrypop5:
shoo who you want make him rule you? shocked
any other person.... Not just him.... No not just buari, I mean, we don't want mohamodu

1 Like

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by KingTom(m): 6:40pm On Oct 14, 2014
I smell frontpage! my chance to make it 26th to comment Buhari ride on sir grin
Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by emmysoftyou: 7:13pm On Oct 14, 2014
dis buhari man or fulani man,funny die o grin

nigerians don change mind 4 where u dey na ,tey tey na, undecided
abi yu don forget,sey we no vote u 4 d last election ni? cheesy

nairalander una hear wetin dis fulani man dey tok undecided?

why nigerian don change mind since 1999 democrazy took place
dis buhari jus dey lik a son who told his fada,i ve disown yu daddy,and d fada look at his son and reply him back,hey dude,i hav disown u since the day u re born noni shocked

2 Likes

Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by Evathyst(f): 7:14pm On Oct 14, 2014
Na space booking sure pass tongue
Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by emmysoftyou: 7:29pm On Oct 14, 2014
Evathyst:
Na space booking sure pass tongue
my love we register the same time,how re u?
pls 4get politics,lets toast jor,cheesy
check ma profile,dsame date,dont mind them{buhari n co}jor okundecided.
Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by Blackfire(m): 7:32pm On Oct 14, 2014
if he wins,he will spend 3years taking revenge on ibb,obj and co.if he loose,fanatical north will go gaga
Re: Presidential Race: Why I Changed My Mind - Buhari by Diablo666: 7:32pm On Oct 14, 2014
I concure. No true patroit would have held a personal statement higher than the peoples collective wishes. Nigeria need you now more than ever. God bless the people‘s general. sai Buhari

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari In Quest To Secure Nigeria!! The Thisday Interview That Bared It All / A Northerner Must Emerge President In 2015 Or Nigeria Will Divide. – Alhaji Law / Is Reading A Speech In London An Extraordinary Achievement ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.