Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,781 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (698041 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Badosqi(m): 4:56pm On Jul 10, 2015
AIG07:
Goodevening everyone. It's been a while. As I was going tru d sports news this evening- the olympic team(u-23) been tutored by coach siasia caught my attention. I learnt from goal.com that d team have been paired in group B wit Ghana, Egypt n alongside wit another african nation for this year's AAG to be hosted in Congo. I became confused when it came to my notice that we will be playing Congo for olympic qualifier. Can anyone explain this-i mean d relationship between AAG n olympic qualifiers cos, me no understand d way african football is been played ooo. Can't wait for this thread to start bubbling. Have missed u gan. Salutes to My friend Mikron
AAG is another tournament on its own. We qualified for it when we defeated zambia in lusaka with a 2-1 scoreline after a goalless draw in Abuja.The tournament winner won't qualifier for the olympics.
The olympics team will be the 4 best team from this year's 2015 CAF U23 championship which Senegal will host. We have to beat Congo to qualify for the caf cup. Remember 4 best teams 4rm caf U17 went for Fifa U17 and also 4 best teams 4rm caf U20 went for Fifa U20.

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 6:23pm On Jul 10, 2015
Icon4s:
I don't know y but I dnt have confidence in this team yet. The team lacks quality From A - Z. We dnt have quality 21-22 yrs olds playing good football in different European leagues and NPFL. Dnt start mentioning those Manu's boy cos those ones are not their yet. undecided Most of those Manu boys probably need to play another U20 before they came be fully matured for U23.

If the success of this team is hinged on the Manu's boys then the team is heading for the rocks. Mark my words!
funny thing, I share your sentiments.

There's just something off about the team, I'm not familiar with most of them and the few i'm familiar with have been far from exceptional so it gets me worried just a little
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 10, 2015
Badosqi:
AAG is another tournament on its own. We qualified for it when we defeated zambia in lusaka with a 2-1 scoreline after a goalless draw in Abuja.The tournament winner won't qualifier for the olympics.
The olympics team will be the 4 best team from this year's 2015 CAF U23 championship which Senegal will host. We have to beat Congo to qualify for the caf cup. Remember 4 best teams 4rm caf U17 went for Fifa U17 and also 4 best teams 4rm caf U20 went for Fifa U20.
Actually, it's the 3 best African teams; most likely the 2 group winners and the best runner-up.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by AIG07: 8:05pm On Jul 10, 2015
Badosqi:
THANKS sir, if I get u right-that means another CAF-U23 is still on d way. African football sha
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Badosqi(m): 8:15pm On Jul 10, 2015
AIG07:
THANKS sir, if I get u right-that means another CAF-U23 is still on d way. African football sha
yes around Nov/December in Senegal.
4 Caf competitions this year: Afcon, caf u17, caf u20 and caf u23.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Badosqi(m): 8:15pm On Jul 10, 2015
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Badosqi(m): 8:17pm On Jul 10, 2015
CFCfan:

Actually, it's the 3 best African teams; most likely the 2 group winners and the best runner-up.
yeah you are right. Siasia and his boys must qualify us for olympics by fire by force. We don't want the repetition of 2012 Olympics where both the Super falcons and the U23 team failed to qualify.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 10, 2015
CAF should use the 2019 AAG as qualifiers for the 2020 Olympics. Enough with the duplication of tourneys; except the AAG doesn't hold in 4 years time.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 9:50pm On Jul 11, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia commends NFF for hiring ex- internationals
[/size]
[img]http://thenationonlineng.net/new/siasia-confident-after-all-africa-games-draw/[/img]
The National Under-23 Team Coach, Samson Siasia, has commended the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for hiring ex-internationals to coach the Super Eagles.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the NFF was in talks with former Super Eagles’ captain, Sunday Oliseh, to coach the senior national team.
Siasia told sports journalists on Saturday in Port Harcourt, that it was a good development for the growth of the game in the country and for ex-internationals with interest and experience in coaching.
According to Siasia, Oliseh is good, I just wish him the best of luck and hopefully he would succeed.
“He should know how this terrain is, we have been there for awhile, he has been in Europe, I pray for him to cope, and you know it is not easy,’’ he said.
Siasia said the U-23 team was well prepared to take on Congo on July 19 at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium in Port Harcourt.
He called on Port Harcourt fans to “come out in their numbers to support the team.”
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/new/siasia-commends-nff-for-hiring-oliseh/
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 10:04pm On Jul 11, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Arsenal's Alex Iwobi, nephew of Jay-Jay Okocha, set to feature for first team this summer
[/size]
The winger is a member of the Nigeria and Bolton Wanderers legend's close family.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has reported ahead of the club's tour to Singapore that he is taking a clutch of the club's most promising youngsters with the first team squad to gauge their quality. What isn't so well known is that one of those players, winger Alex Iwobi, is the nephew of a former World Cup star.
Iwobi's uncle is Nigerian hero Augustin 'Jay-Jay' Okocha, according to the club's website, the former Paris Saint-Germain and Fenerbahce midfielder who featured in three World Cups for the Super Eagles, and also became a household name in England when he moved to Bolton Wanderers, and later Hull City, just over 10 years ago.
With pedigree like that, it's no surprise that big things are expected of 19-year-old Iwobi, who has starred for the Gunners development squads, and has featured for the England youth sides.
The Mail have reported that the youngster is set to follow his uncle in switching to play for Nigeria in the future, quoting him as saying: "Austin Okocha and Nwankwo Kanu have influenced my decision to play for Nigeria.
"My dad too has told me a lot of things about the honour and pride that goes with playing for Nigeria.
"So I thought a lot about this and decided to play for Nigeria."
It may be some loss for England, but with Iwobi having scored 10 goals in 19 Under-21 matches for Arsenal last season, he may well get the chance to prove just how good he can be when he takes to the pitch alongside the Gunners' international stars in the next few weeks.
Can Iwobi become a star for Arsenal?
[/b]

www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/07/11/arsenals-alex-iwobi-nephew-of-jay-jay-okocha-set-to-feature-for/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 10:35pm On Jul 11, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2016 Rio Olympics preparations racing ahead: Organizers
The organizers of the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro said Thursday that preparations for the world`s biggest sporting event are racing ahead.
[/size]

Rio de Janeiro: The organizers of the 2016 Olympicsin Rio de Janeiro said Thursday that preparations for the world`s biggest sportingevent are racing ahead.
"There are no venues (where it) can be said it`s delayed at this point. We have all the construction on time. We have the budget to finish the constructions," Mario Andrada, chief spokesman for the Rio2016 organizing committee, told AFP.
Asked to rate progress on a scale of one to 10, he said: "We are about nine.
"I`m not being overconfident when I say nine, because the main point right at this time is to make sure the constructions are going well and they are. Most of the venues will be ready by one year to go, if not totally ready."
The opening ceremony will be in Rio`s Maracana Stadium on August 5, 2016 and Andrada said that although work is on schedule, there remains "an Everest to climb" over the next 13 months.
A key new phase starts Wednesday when the Maracana hosts volleyball`s World League final, the first of 44 high level sporting events being staged in the city up until May next year as a way of testing the Olympics infrastructure.
"Test events will be the last chance to make mistakes," Andrada said.
Brazil hosted the World Cup finals in 2014 and was generally credited with having done a good job.
However, the country is in an ever-worsening economic slump, while already rampant street violence is rising. Even without those worries, bureaucracy and corruption have long made Brazil, the world`s seventh biggest economy, a notoriously complicated place to do business.
Delphine Moulin, general manager for test events, told AFP that she was "excited" and "pretty happy with the levels of preparation."
However, she admitted to encountering numerous "surprises."
"When you go from planning drawings and maps to reality, well, when you get on the ground you realize that it`s not the same thing," she said.
"That adds a certain element of urgency."
Already one of the most important goals touted by Rio de Janeiro in its winning bid to host the Summer Games -- cleaning the beautifully located, but badly polluted Guanabara Bay -- appears doomed.
Another big project,a new subway line that would link the Olympic Park to the tourist-friendly south of Rio, faces a "high risk" of not being completed on time, auditors said this week.
[/b]

zeenews.india.com/sports/others/2016-rio-olympics-preparations-racing-ahead-organizers_1627567.html
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:09pm On Jul 11, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
I don’t care if Congo parades 11 pros- Siasia
by: Segun Ogunjimi
[/size]
Dream Team VI handler, Samson Siasia has said that his team won’t be jittery confronting all foreign based Congo’s first eleven in the first leg of the final round of CAF U-23 Championship qualifier against visiting Claude Leroy’s Congo slated for Port-Harcourt on July 19.
Congo coach Claude Leroy on Wednesday announced a 23-man squad dominated by 11 overseas professionals for the match, but the former Super Eagles’ Chief Coach told Sporting Life that it is not an array of individual stars that win a football match but playing as a team.
“We are not afraid of the Congolese team. we know that parading foreign based stars does not guarantee victory but playing as a team. But can they play as a team? That is what brings result. We also have some foreign based stars in our team but what we are focusing on is for them to play as a team.
“The advantage we will have over Congo is that the players we have here, including the few foreign based guys have been playing together for some time now and have blended together. They have understanding on how we want them to play as a team, so that is the edge I think we would have over Congo.
“It is not about the number of foreign based players in a team. I am confident that we have a team who can play as a united team and win.” Siasia assured.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/new/i-dont-care-if-congo-parades-11-pros-siasia/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 3:51pm On Jul 12, 2015
terzurum5:

I should be the one to say thank you, because you guys have created a platform for me to learn kudos to you guys all. I won't mention names but I must say you guys are too great; from the Superfalcons, Flying Eagles, Golden Eaglets threads to the Ogbonge Olympics Eagles thread I have learnt alot. Am greatful to all.
Very good job you're doing, brother. I've been so busy on a project for a while now.

Kudos.

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:29pm On Jul 12, 2015
joseph1013:

Very good job you're doing, brother. I've been so busy on a project for a while now.

Kudos.
You have done a lot already Sir.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:35pm On Jul 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ghana Coach Excited To Face Nigeria At AAG
[/size]

Ghana U-23 coach, Malik Jabir is unperturbed by the prospect of coming up against Nigeria’s U23 Eagles in the football event of the All Africa Games scheduled for Congo Brazzaville in September.
The Meteors who are the defending champions were handed a tough Group B also comprising Nigeria, Egypt and Senegal.
But it is the well anticipated fixture against eternal rivals, Nigeria that has generated huge discussions in both countries.
And Jabir, a former Ghana international who once handled Nigerian Champions, Kano Pillars, is confident his side will beat Nigeria and the other teams in the group.
“If you look at the two groups by name, it doesn’t look the same,”Jabir told ghanaweb.com.
“All the same, football in Africa, you cannot underrate anybody.
“So I think since we all have been able to qualify to that level, it means we are equal.”
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ghana-coach-excited-to-face-nigeria-at-aag/
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:40pm On Jul 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ezekiel Out of Olympic Qualifier Vs Congo
[/size]
By Johnny Edward:
One cap Super Eagles forward Imoh Ezekiel will miss next Sunday’s Olympic qualifier against Congo in Port Harcourt Comple tesportsnigeria.com can exclusively report.

Ezekiel who is expected to complete his loan move from Qatari side Al Alin this week to an unnamed European team has not been released for the encounter according to a reliable source close to the player.
“They are insisting that the fixture against Congo is not on the FIFA window, but they were well informed beforehand by his representatives,” the source began in an exclusive chat with Completesportsnigeria.com.
“Also his imminent move in the coming days was another reason he won’t join up with the Olympic team for the games as he will have to undergo medicals before the game,” he concluded.
Furthermore, Completesportsnigeria.com can also exclusively report that Sodiq Popoola will also miss the game billed for the Adokie Amesiamaka stadium. The former Golden Eaglets and Flying Eagles midfielder was not been released his his Belgian club, RFC Seraing.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ezekiel-out-of-olympic-qualifier-vs-congo/
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:54pm On Jul 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Iheanacho Set For Man City Tour Opener
[/size]

[img]http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/iheanacho-im-ripe-to-play-for-city-senior-team/[/img]

By Nurudeen Obalola:
Nigerian youngster Kelechi Iheanacho is in Manchester City’s pre-season tour squad for the second straight year.
The Flying Eagles forward was the standout player, in spite of the presence of senior stars, during last year’s pre-season tour to the United States of America.
This time, City are spending most of pre-season in Australia, where they arrived at on Friday. They will play three games Down Under, including two in the International Champions Cup (Australia edition).
Manchester City’s first match of pre-season is on Saturday against their sister club, Melbourne City, and Iheanacho is one of several youngsters expected to be given playing time by Manuel Pellegrini.

[img]http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/iheanacho-savours-city-cup-winner/[/img]

The Nigerian teenager, who has been tipped to get first-team opportunities in the 2015/2016 season, will also be involved as City face Roma on 21 July and Real Madrid on 24 July, both in Melbourne.
City will round off their pre-season in Germany with a match against Stuutgart on 1 August.
The 2014 Premier League champions get their league campaign under way on 10 August against West Brom, with Iheanacho hopefully in the frame.
Iheanacho’s stature is gradually growing at City, as Pellegrini has name checked him and he has been tipped by the Manchester Evening News to be promoted to the senior squad in the new season.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/iheanacho-set-for-man-city-tour-opener/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by mijestic: 9:58pm On Jul 12, 2015
Hello people. Hope we are fine. I just read on another thread that Man City have virtually sealed the signing of Raheem Sterling from Liverpool. My mind instantly drifted to Iheanacho and his prospects of regular first team football in the coming season. There is already an array of stars in the team. Does the coming of Sterling not portend lack of first team action for the young lad? Wouldn't it be better if he goes out on loan and play reguar football than staying behind only to have very little playing time? I fear for Nacho's development o.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:01pm On Jul 12, 2015
mijestic:
Hello people. Hope we are fine. I just read on another thread that Man City have virtually sealed the signing of Raheem Sterling from Liverpool. My mind instantly drifted to Iheanacho and his prospects of regular first team football in the coming season. There is already an array of stars in the team. Does the coming of Sterling not portend lack of first team action for the young lad? Wouldn't it be better if he goes out on loan and play reguar football than staying behind only to have very little playing time? I fear for Nacho's development o.
Nacho's agent and the club I believe know what is best for him.
I expect them to take the right decision. Hence, its not too late to secure a loan move for Nacho.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:02pm On Jul 12, 2015
mijestic:

I get your point but they play different positions so one does not affect the other. I say he fights and if it doesn't work out he can go on loan by January.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:12pm On Jul 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Jordan Ibe, Seyi Ojo included in Liverpool’s pre-season tour of Asia
[/size]
The young Nigerians are part of the Reds squad to Asia for their pre-season tour where they will play five games
By Shina Oludare

Jordan Ibe and Seyi Ojo have been named in the Livepool squad for the tour to Asia ahead of the kickoff of the English Premier League. The club announced its 30-man squad for the trip on Saturday and it excluded Mario Balotelli and Fabio Borini.
The Reds will face Thai All Stars, Brisbane Roar FC, Adelaide United FC, Malaysia XI and HJK Helsinki between July 17 and August 1, 2015.
James Milner, Nathanial Clyne, Joe Gomez, Adam Bogdan and Danny Ings are all included in the squad having completed transfer to the club during the summer, while new striker Divock Origi- who agreed to join the club last year but remained on loan at Lille – is also in line to make his Liverpool debut.
Liverpool face the Thai All Stars on Tuesday 14 July in Bangkok before flying on to Australia to play A-League sides Brisbane and Adelaide on Friday and Monday respectively, before wrapping up their tour with a match in Kuala Lumpur against a Malaysia XI.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/13519992

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:32pm On Jul 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Musa posts solid debut for Turkish club
[/size]
by Samm Audu
Nigeria U20 skipper Musa Mohammed posted a solid debut for new Turkish club Istanbul Basaksehir in a pre-season game against Anderlecht.
Both teams played out a goalless draw in Holland with Musa sporting jersey No 25 playing the second 45 minutes.
“He was very solid, delivered three top-class crosses and also defended very well,” a source informed AfricanFootball.com
“Officials were very impressed with his performance and how he has quickly integrated into the group after just a handful of trainings.
“On the evidence of what he produced against Anderlecht, he will certainly have a big role to play in this club.”
His main rival for a first-team place is experienced 28-year-old Ugur Ucar, who played 30 games in the league last season.
Basaksehir forced a 1-1 draw in their first pre-season game in Holland and they take on
They will play Dutch club Volendam on Tuesday, before they take on Greek side Asteras Tripolis on Thursday.
They fly back to Turkey on Friday.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/548389/Musa-posts-solid-debut-for-Turkish-club

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:58pm On Jul 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Atletico Madrid for Sokari as Esperance deal shaky
[/size]
[img]http://africanfootball.com/news/548477/Atletico-Madrid-for-Sokari-as-Esperance-deal-shaky[/img]
by Samm Audu
Former European champions Atletico Madrid have moved in for Flying Eagles star Kingsley Sokari with the player’s transfer to Esperance of Tunisia now on the brink of collapse.
Oliseh signs Eagles deal Wednesday
Sokari, 20, was in Tunisia to sign a three-year deal on June 22 after he further impressed the Tunis club at the FIFA U20 World Cup, but the former African champions have kept playing hide-and-seek with Enyimba even after both clubs had reached an agreement for the transfer.
And Enyimba have given Esperance an ultimatum to seal the player’s transfer this week or they will call it off.
“I have never seen anything like this,” revealed Sokari’s adviser Vincent Alumona.
“Esperance had shown seriousness in signing the player even before he went to play at the U20 World Cup and former Tunisian international Ziad Tlemcani, who is now an official of the club, got in touch with me.
“Because they were the first to ask for the boy and the fact that we believe Esperance’s pedigree as a top club in Africa will serve as a veritable launch pad for a career in Europe, it gave them the edge over other clubs who were interested.
“However, for more than two weeks they have failed to fulfill their end of the agreement reached with Enyimba.”
Last week Thursday, a scout of Atletico Madrid who had been alerted to Sokari’s prospects after the player featured for the Super Eagles in games against Cote d’Ivoire, Yemen and South Africa last January, inquired about the player.
It is believed that Atletico rate the player as a top future talent following his exploits with three-tiers of the Nigeria national teams - U20, U23 and Super Eagles.
Atletico were not aware of Sokari’s transfer to Esperance and that he has since returned to Nigeria.
Already, the Esperance drama has cost Sokari a place in the U23 team who will take on Congo in this weekend’s Africa U23 Championship qualifier in Port Harcourt after he had featured for the team in all four of their previous fixtures.
“Siasia understands the situation and was initially upset with the boy,” said Alumona.
“But I explained to him that technically he is still an Esperance player and so they had to sanction his invitation.”
Olympique Marseille and Al Ahly of Egypt had also shown interest in Sokari.
[/b]

http://africanfootball.com/news/548477/Atletico-Madrid-for-Sokari-as-Esperance-deal-shaky
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:32pm On Jul 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia: How We’ll Handle Stubborn Congo
[/size]
By Bamidele Boluwaji:
National U-23 Eagles coach Samson Siasia has declared that Sunday’s Olympic Games qualifier against Congo in Port Harcourt will be tough but assured that his players are ready for the home game.
The former Super Eagles coach who believes strongly that preparation will be key to achieving positive result in the qualifier told CompleteSports that his players will not underrate the Congolese who edged Ghana from the Olympic race.
“It is going to be a tough match and i must tell you that we are not going to underrate the Congolese, the players know that they have to give their best and with the support of Nigerians, i am sure that we are not going to disappoint them,” says Siasia.
“We need to win this match with good result so that the return leg will just be a mere formality for us but we must work really hard to achieve that result and that is why i am telling you that preparation is key and I think the players are also working hard to see off the Congolese in the first leg match.
The 2008 Olympic silver medalist however believes that Nigeria will make it to the final of the African Olympic Games Qualifying Championship billed to hold in Senegal later in the year.
“The main qualifier is still ahead and we must ensure we get there and that is why it is important for us to win this match and even the return leg match so that we can go to Senegal for the final leg.
Meanwhile, Siasia has told CompleteSports that his immediate focus is how to qualify for the Olympic Games, saying attention will be shifted to the 2015 All Africa Games after the match against Congo.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.mobi/readNewsItem1.php?nid=12472
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:35pm On Jul 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
One Reason Why Adokiye’s Excited Ahead U23 Eagles Vs Congo
[/size]
By Sab Osuji:
Former Nigeria left-winger, Chief Adokiye Amiesimaka has confirmed he will be among the cheering crowd on July 19 when the national U-23 team, Dream Team VI will take on Congo Brazzaville in the first leg of the final qualifying round for the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
The match has been slated to hold at the Rivers State Government sporting edifice named after him, Amiesimaka Sports Complex.
“It will be quite an interesting spectacle, being at the stadium named after me watching the Dream Team play against Congo”, Amiesimaka said enthusiastically.
Complete Sports understands some fixing jobs are still on-going at the multi-million naira stadium complex which hosted the 2012 National Sports Festival which Rivers State hosted.
Amiesimaka won the 1980 Africa Cup of Nations with the then Green eagles after a 3-0 defeat of Algeria in the final March 22, 1980 at the National Stadium, Surulere, Lagos.
He later became the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Rivers State during the reign of Dr Peter Odili as governor of Rivers State.
The barrel-chested left winger was later to become Chairman of the management board of Sharks Football Club, Port Harcourt.
The former Rivers state governor, Rotimi Amaechi, named the Sports Complex after Amiesimaka in recognition of his contribution to sports development in the state and country.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.mobi/readNewsItem1.php?nid=12496

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:40pm On Jul 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Saviour - We Are Battle Ready for Congo
[/size]
interview
By Mike Oboh And Joshua Odeyemi
Former Flying Eagles star and Dream Team IV striker, Saviour Godwin has said the national U-23 team is ready to battle Congo in this weekend's first leg of the 2015 African U23 Championship qualifying match in Port-Harcourt. He told SHOT! that the Samson Siasia led team will do the nation proud.
How ready is the Dream Team to take on Congo this weekend?
The team is well organised by Coach Samson Siasia and the other members of the coaching crew. The other thing I can add is the unity in the team which makes everything easy for us in the camp. We love one another and in training you can see how every player wants to show the stuff in him. We are all trying to impress the coaches who are handling us.
You joined the team after the U-20 World Youth Championship, how are you blending with the rest of the players?
I started here before I was drafted to the U-20 camp. It is not something new to me because Coach Samson Siasia is just like a father to me. He is the one that tutored me and with what I learn from Coach Manu Garba and his backroom staff and the fact that I was from here, there is no more difference and I fit in without any hassle.
How stiff is the challenge for shirts in this team?
Before I left and now, I can say there are a lot of improvements on the part of my teammates and every player knows it is not a tea party. We are all playing to get the nod of our coaches. Everybody wants to improve everyday which makes the competition stiffer here
How much would you say the dream Team know about Congo?
We just have to stay focused and leave everything to God because we are organised and focused. we will just leave the coaches to do their work. Against Congo what I can say is we are sure of victory by the grace of God and we will not let Nigerians down because we are aware that they want us to not only beat Congo and qualify for the competition but should be able to re-enact what the great team of the 1996 dream team did at the Atlanta Games in the United States of America.
As a player I know you don't win matches with talking only in the pages of newspapers but with hard work and commitment and prayers. It is not about me alone in the camp but the team have a bunch of players who are closely knitted and are desirous of good results and as well as a good playing career. Just tell the fans in the Garden city of Port Harcourt and every other Nigerians to come out and give us their support as we fly the nation's flag.
We are hundred percent ready for the battle against Congo and the return leg but we want to have a good game here first.
What are your plans concerning your professional career abroad?
I am one player that does not allow distraction in whatever I am involved in. I have a manager who is responsible for my contracts and other issues while I concentrate on my physical and mental wellbeing on and off the pitch. My manager is one person I believe will always want the best for me and I don't have any fear about whatever choice he makes. I trust him and I will state it here that whichever direction he wants my career to go is okay by me.
What do you want as a player in terms of the club you will like to play for?
Any good club that comes for me but I will not like to stay longer than necessary at the home because my target to play professional football outside the country by the grace of God so as to improve my game. Any good offer from Europe or elsewhere, I will go.
Are offers coming your way?
I have offers from Belgium and Holland and like I said earlier I will only play for the club with the best offer for me because I will like to have good playing time. Meanwhile as I am still around, I will lace my boot for a good Nigerian club side who are keen for my service.
[/b]

allafrica.com/stories/201507131718.html

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:47pm On Jul 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia okays Amiesimaka Pitch
[/size]
By: Sammy Wejinya
Head coach of Nigeria’s U-23 team, Samson Siasia says he is satisfied with the quality of the playing surface at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium, Port Harcourt.
The stadium is set to play host to Sunday’s 2016 Olympic football qualifier between Nigeria and Congo and Siasia was left impressed after his team trained at the facility for the first time on Monday.
“This is the first time I am seeing the pitch because we had been training at the Shell club (also in Port Harcourt) since we arrived from Abuja.
“I am very impressed with how well the (stadium) has been maintained and especially the pitch which is very very good,” Siasia told supersport.com on Monday.
Spokesman of the team, Timi Ebikagboro also shared in the coach’s optimism.
“I have visited virtually all stadia in Nigeria and I make bold to say that apart from the pitch at Akwa Ibom International Stadium in Uyo, none is as good as this.
“Good pitches produce good football and I am sure we will get a good result on Sunday,” he said.
Nigeria’s U23s will face their Congolese counterparts at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium on July 19.
The winner of the tie will qualify for the 2015 Caf U-23 championship in Senegal.
It will take place between November 28 and December 12, 2015 and will comprise a total of eight countries.
The tournament acts as qualification to the 2016 Summer Olympics men's football tournament for the Caf, with the top three teams qualifying.
[/b]

mobi.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/150713/Siasia_okays_Amiesimaka_pitch

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:51pm On Jul 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Awoniyi: My Father Still Wants Me To Become A Doctor
[/size]
Taiwo Awoniyi is seen by many Nigerians as one of the new generation players who will propel the Super Eagles back to the zenith of African nay world football. In this exclusive interview Complete Sports’ Correspondent, RICHARD JIDEAKA, the Flying Eagles striker says he will work hard to get to the top and appease his father, who has not completely forgiven him for taking to football instead of going to the university to study medicine.
Tell us briefly about yourself and how you became a footballer?
I was born and brought up in Ilorin, Kwara state. Together with my twin sister, I am the last child with in a family of six. I began my football career playing for my primary school in Ilorin then moved to Seyi Olofinjana Academy in Ogun state. From there we went to a Coca- Cola youth tournament in London, and I have not looked back since then.
Did your parents encourage you to play football or you did do so against their wish?
It was miserable for me any time my dad caught me playing football or got to know that I went to play football. In school, I was a very intelligent student and my dad wanted me to be a doctor. My teachers and my fellow students called me doctor but they also knew that I was very good when it came to playing football. My father tried severally to stop me from football but my other siblings and twin sister especially, always covered up for me
Does your father regret your decision to take up football as a career?
He is happy with me for the little success I have attained in the game of football. He still reminds me that I should be studying medicine in the university. He has not completely forgiven me but he has no regrets for allowing me to be a footballer.
What has playing football brought to your family? Are you rich?
Football has made my family name popular and it has taken me to countries, I never dreamt I would travel to in my young life. I have also met and shaken hands with very important personalities in the world. I am not rich now but by the grace of God, things will change for the better as I hope to take my career to the next level. To tell you the truth, I don’t think being a doctor could have brought me the kind of popularity football has brought me.
Talking about your career, Nigerians have been waiting to know which European country you will be plying your trade in next season..
I have been very patient because I don’t want to play in the Academy and just for any club in Europe. I am now of age and by next month they will know where I will play.
You have been compared to the late Super Eagles legend, Rashidi Yekini and looked upon as the man to solve Nigeria’s goals scoring problem, do these expectations put you under any pressure?
I am not under any pressure. I will play my game and whatever will be will surely be. It is an honour to be compared to a legend like Rashidi Yekini and for Nigerians to expect so much from me. I will not shy away from any responsibility given me but only God can tell what I will be. All I know is that I will continue to work hard and leave the rest to God
So much was expected of you and your colleagues in the Flying Eagles at the Under-20 World Cup in New Zealand but it was not to be, what went wrong?
Yes, we went there hoping to go all the way and win the Cup. We prepared for it but we failed to get going after that loss to Brazil. First of all, I want to apologise to Nigerians for disappointing them. I cannot say what went wrong but I guess that is how God wanted it to be.
Is it that your coaches did not tell you what to do or that you met superior sides at the World Cup?
Our coaches did their best and told us how to play but somehow we never got it right. We were not at our best all through the tournament. We failed the nation and we are sorry about that.
Was it that you and your teammates were over confident and that cost you against Germany?
We were not over confident, neither did we underrate them. I believe it was not our day. Like I said before, only God knows why we crashed out early.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.mobi/readNewsItem1.php?nid=12453
...continue from the next post
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:58pm On Jul 13, 2015
.....contine from the last post
[b][size=14pt]
Awoniyi: My Father Still Want To Become A Doctor
[/size]
Are you disappointed by the team’s performance and your contributions at the World Cup?
I am disappointed with both the team and my performance at the U-20 World Cup. I did not just play to my level in New Zealand and I guess that also affected the team. If we were at our best, the two games we lost against the Brazilians and Germans should have gone in our favour. They are not better than us. On a good day, we should have beaten Germany and Brazil.
Which was your best game at the World Cup?
It is certainly the game against Korea, aside from the fact that I scored a goal, the team played very well.
What is your mission with the Under-23 side?
My being in the Nigerian Olympic team is a step up in my career and I just have to keep working hard to ensure that I keep on developing. I thank Coach Samson Siasia for considering me good enough to play for Dream Team.
Are you looking forward to playing for Super Eagles soon?
It is every player’s dream to play for their country’s senior team and I am not an exception. I will keep on improving my game and if the coaches find me good enough for Super Eagles, I will gladly take the chance.
Finally, how do you handle female admirers and are you into a relationship?
I am a young lad. I don’t have a relationship with any girl. As for my female admirers, I treat them like my male fans too, just by being nice to them and appreciating their support.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.mobi/readNewsItem1.php?nid=12453
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:07pm On Jul 13, 2015
[size=14pt]
Imoh Ezekiel Joins Anderlecht
[/size]
By Johnny Edward:
Barring any last minute hitch, Imoh Ezekiel will complete a season-long loan move to Belgian side Anderlecht this week, comple tesportsnigeria.com has gathered.
The highly-rated forward turned down lucrative offers from Russian side Locomotiv Moscow and Portuguese giants FC Porto to agree with the Europa League campaigners, his representatives have revealed.
“Except a last minute move by a top team in England materialises, Imoh will play for Anderlecht,” his representative Liammed Gafaar told comple tesportsnigeria.com
“Locomotiv Moscow offered over half a million euro for his loan fee and were keen to buy out his deal with Al Ain but I guess he has unfinished business in Belgium.”
Ezekiel who won’t join the national Olympic team for the clash against Congo in Port-Harcourt made his senior debut for the Super Eagles against Mexico in a pre- World Cup game in 2014.

www.completesportsnigeria.mobi/readNewsItem1.php?nid=12363

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:32pm On Jul 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
New Zealand Take Legal Action Over Olympic Football Disqualification
[/size]

Deklan Wynne has played for the New Zealand senior team.

New Zealand are to take legal actionafter their men's team were thrown out of Olympic qualifying for fielding an ineligible player.
The Kiwis were due to play Fiji in the final of the Oceania qualifiers after beating Vanuatu 2-0 in the semi-finals.
But the Oceania Football Confederation (OCF) upheld Vanuatu's protest that South-African born Deklan Wynne was ineligible to play in the match.
Vanuatu were then awarded a 3-0 win, but lost to Fiji in Sunday's final.
Fiji will represent the Oceania region at next year's Rio Olympics after beating Vanuatu 4-3 on penalties.
Left-back Wynne, 20, represented New Zealand at the Fifa Under-20 World Cup last month and has played at senior level after becoming a naturalized New Zealander.
The OCF's disciplinary committee ruledon Sunday that Wynne did not meet any of the criteria set out in article seven of the Fifa statutes,that would allow him to represent New Zealand.
Wynne, who was not born in New Zealand and doesn't have a New Zealand parent or grandparent, would have to have lived in New Zealand for five years from the age of 18 to be eligible.
New Zealand Football said it was not aware of the disciplinary hearing and was told the matter was being referred to Fifa.
They are now working with their lawyers to contest the committee's decision
Chief executive Andy Martin said: "While we firmly believe that the match should have been delayed, we will continue to do everything in our power to ensure that any final decision is only reached after a proper and fair process has been carried out.
"We trust that Oceania Football Confederation will change its position and conduct that proper and fair process."
[/b]

m.bbc.com/sport/football/33500785
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:42pm On Jul 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
City Take Iheanacho To Australia
[/size]

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has named Kelechi Iheanacho in his 25 – man squad for the club’s pre – season tour of Australia.
While the Under 18s and Elite Development Squad of The Citizens will jet off to Spain on Sunday to start preparations for the new season, the Flying Eagles midfielder has been named to the first team roster alongside five other youngsters.
Iheanacho has been tipped by many to break into the first team of Manchester City in the 2015 – 2016 campaign following a string of impressive displays for the youth team in the second half of last season.
To date, the 18 – year – old scored the most important goal of his Man City career in the final of the inaugural International Premier League Cup final against Porto in May.
During the tour, Iheanacho will hope to impress when The Citizens tackle Melbourne City on July 18 before taking on Roma and Real Madrid in the International Champions Cup Australia.
[/b]

sportsdayonline.com/city-take-iheanacho-to-australia-2/

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.