Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,942 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (239) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (699690 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 7:05am On May 22, 2016
^^^Unfortunately, I don't think Siasia will take Ighalo to Rio and leave him on the bench. I seriously doubt it.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:05am On May 22, 2016
Icon4s:

Ndidi featured under Keshi and Oliseh. Iheanacho and Iwobi first featured under Oliseh and then under Siasia. They cannot jut authomatically become regulars, they will have to earn it.

Success: The only player on that ur list that has nt been invited is Isaac Success. This is largely connected to the already long list of strikers available for selection: Ighalo, Ardi,Iheanacho, Samuel, Chikatara. Even a more experience striker like Imoh Ezekiel was nt considered by both Oliseh and Siasia.

Ndidi: For a player like him to become a regular he has to displace the more experienced Onazi and Mikel But remember also we have other upcoming DMF that are competing with Ndidi at U23 level.

Iheanacho: The coaches have still nt found a most effective role for him. Though some analyst (me inclusive) believe he should b played at CF Oliseh and Siasia played him as AM. Iheanacho has nt yet stamped his authority in the Super Eagles.

Iwobi: He IMO has settled fastest among the newly introduced young players.We can effectively use him as a Wing forward or a number 10. Nigeria for years has been searching for a modern number 10 & Alex Iwobi from d two games against Egypt has annouced himself a our new number 10. Bc we have wing options like Moses, Musa and Simon, I will prefer Iwobi to concentrate on the number 10 role.

God willing and also Siasia willing all four of Success, Ndidi, Iheanacho and Iwobi would make it to the Olympics and lets see how they would do their thing. Awaziem also deserves a place in the provisional list.

For Rio In a 4-5-1 formation i would prefer Iheanacho leads the attack. With a master passer like Iwobi playing behing him, Iheanacho with his goals convertion ratio would become a goals scoring machine. Isaac Success can be a sub for Iheanacho or Iheanacho plays SS for him in a 4-4-2 formation (jst like the Iheanacho-Aguero's partnership).

We dnt need Ighalo in that attack.

I believe this young forwards can deliver the goods.Lets just limit d over aged players to the defense and DMF positions.

If I were Coach Samson Siasia, I would just pick one over aged player as a forward instead of taking Ighalo and Musa.

Musa to me will be needed more than Ighalo. Musa's pace and height will be needed more than the ever direct play of Ighalo which can easily be predicted by opponents.

If Siasia must pick an over aged player among our forwards options then, I tip A. Musa.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 8:04am On May 22, 2016
joseph1013:
^^^Unfortunately, I don't think Siasia will take Ighalo to Rio and leave him on the bench. I seriously doubt it.

Siasia took Osaze Odemwengie to Beijin in 2008 but kept him on the bench for most of the time, allowing Obinna Nsofor and Chinedu Ogbuke do their thing.

My own is let us not even invite him(Ighalo) at all. Where i have concerns more now is in the CB positions and DMF. Omeruo, hu would have been an underaged bt very experienced CB, has been ruled out.And I dnt know if Siasia has plans of inviting Leon Balogun. U may say Awaziem is there bt I would have prefered a more tested and proven CB pair. As d case may b now we would need a very experienced DMF like Mikel hu can effectively shield our CB making them less prone to attacks and hence mistakes.

We dnt have problems with our attack.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 8:10am On May 22, 2016
terzurum5:

If I were Coach Samson Siasia, I would just pick one over aged player as a forward instead of taking Ighalo and Musa.

Musa to me will be needed more than Ighalo. Musa's pace and height will be needed more than the ever direct play of Ighalo which can easily be predicted by opponents.

If Siasia must pick an over aged player among our forwards options then, I tip A. Musa.

I concur.

Simon Moses and Ahmed Musa our wings pair.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 10:48am On May 22, 2016
Icon4s:

Siasia took Osaze Odemwengie to Beijin in 2008 but kept him on the bench for most of the time, allowing Obinna Nsofor and Chinedu Ogbuke do their thing.

My own is let us not even invite him(Ighalo) at all. Where i have concerns more now is in the CB positions and DMF. Omeruo, hu would have been an underaged bt very experienced CB, has been ruled out.And I dnt know if Siasia has plans of inviting Leon Balogun. U may say Awaziem is there bt I would have prefered a more tested and proven CB pair. As d case may b now we would need a very experienced DMF like Mikel hu can effectively shield our CB making them less prone to attacks and hence mistakes.

We dnt have problems with our attack.
Was Osaze ever a Siasia boy? Osaze was in top form then but was dropped for Nsofor and Ogbuke who were Siasia boys.

That's the difference. Ighalo is a Siasia boy. I need someone to convince me how Siasia will drop Ighalo for Success.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 12:35pm On May 22, 2016
joseph1013:
Was Osaze ever a Siasia boy? Osaze was in top form then but was dropped for Nsofor and Ogbuke who were Siasia boys.

That's the difference. Ighalo is a Siasia boy. I need someone to convince me how Siasia will drop Ighalo for Success.

Siasia is a kind of guy. He may not even invite Success at all for camping. He can prefer to invite Awoniyi, Ajayi and Osimhen ahead of Success, Imoh, Samuel, Chikatara and b giving one kind yeye justification.

We are watching and waiting.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Pavarotti: 1:00pm On May 22, 2016
Siasia is taking Nathan Oduwa and Birminghams Viv solomon Otabor to the Invitational tourney

What are thier chances ?

No one is talking about our options on the wings

Moses Simon is the only recognized winger

Musa or Vic Mo might go as overaged

Sheyi Ojo is another great option but he us not a certainty yet ?

We are left with Godwin Savior n Tiongoli Tonbara
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by zuchyblink(m): 2:57pm On May 22, 2016
Has Sia1 released his full list of invited players for the invitational tourney?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by AIG07: 3:03pm On May 22, 2016
Icon4s:

Siasia is a kind of guy. He may not even invite Success at all for camping. He can prefer to invite Awoniyi, Ajayi and Osimhen ahead of Success, Imoh, Samuel, Chikatara and b giving one kind yeye justification.

We are watching and waiting.
this is the same fear I harbour concerning Siasia's selection.

With the options we have in the attack I don't see any reason why we need to waste a slot for an overaged player in Ighalo.

Ighalo is good no doubt about that. But my problem with him is that 'he does not drop back to pick balls' and it showed glaringly in Alexandria not untill the introduction of Iwobi before there was smooth transition from d Mid-field to Attack.

The likes of success, sam, chik, Nacho have all grown up to perfectly well to face tough, muscular n stubborn defence line. so, no need of an overage CF in that team.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:48pm On May 22, 2016
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Premier League 2015/2016 Germany
Liverpool loanee Awoniyi quits relegated German club
[/size]
The German Bundesliga 2 club of Taiwo Awoniyi FSV Frankfurt have been relegated and the Liverpool loanee will therefore have to quit the club.

Frankfurt won their final game of the season 2-1 at home against 1860 Munchen, but it was not enough to save them from the dreaded drop.

They finished on 32 points to be second from bottom and allowing MSV Duisburg, who also finished on 32 points, to qualify for the relegation playoffs.

Awoniyi has already made it clear he will not stay back at the club should they be relegated.

He will most certainly return to Liverpool and could then go on loan to another club next season.
africanfootball.com/news/628702/Liverpool-loanee-Awoniyi-quits-relegated-German-club

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 7:53pm On May 22, 2016
AIG07:

this is the same fear I harbour concerning Siasia's selection.

With the options we have in the attack I don't see any reason why we need to waste a slot for an overaged player in Ighalo.

Ighalo is good no doubt about that. But my problem with him is that 'he does not drop back to pick balls' and it showed glaringly in Alexandria not untill the introduction of Iwobi before there was smooth transition from d Mid-field to Attack.

The likes of success, sam, chik, Nacho have all grown up to perfectly well to face tough, muscular n stubborn defence line. so, no need of an overage CF in that team.

My thoughts exactly!
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:57pm On May 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2016 Olympics - Men Football Belgium
Siasia picks Saviour for Korea tourney
[/size]

Nigeria U23 star Godwin Saviour

Nigeria Olympic team coach Samson Siasia has included KV Oostende forward Godwin Saviour to the squad for an invitational tournament in Korea preparatory to the Rio Olympics.

“Saviour will feature at the invitational tournament in Korea,” disclosed one of his representatives.

Saviour, who was a late substitute for his club in a Belgian championship playoff on Thursday, has not featured for Dream Team VI since the qualifiers for the U23 AFCON.

Club engagements stopped him from both the All Africa Games as well as U23 AFCON in Senegal.
Several other overseas-based professionals including skipper Azubuike Okechukwu have already confirmed their availability for the tournament.

Hosts Korea, Denmark and Honduras are the other teams billed for the invitational tourney.
africanfootball.com/news/628700/Siasia-picks-Saviour-for-Korea-tourney

[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 7:57pm On May 22, 2016
Pavarotti:
Siasia is taking Nathan Oduwa and Birminghams Viv solomon Otabor to the Invitational tourney

What are thier chances ?

No one is talking about our options on the wings

Moses Simon is the only recognized winger

Musa or Vic Mo might go as overaged

Sheyi Ojo is another great option but he us not a certainty yet ?

We are left with Godwin Savior n Tiongoli Tonbara

Stanley Dimgba is also a winger.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 8:23pm On May 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Contract Talks Between Rilwan Hassan, Midtjylland Stall Over Wage Demands
[/size]

FC Midtjylland star Rilwan Hassan has revealed that contract talks between him and the Danish Superliga side have stalled over his wage demands.

Previously, the Wolves were eager to tie the Nigerian winger down to a new deal, with the agreement between club and player set to run out at the end of this season.

“I have not heard anything from Midtjylland in the last two months, since the game against Brondby,” Rilwan Hassan said to
allnigeriasoccer.com.

“They brought an offer to my agent but we could not agree, my agent said they should bring a better offer. ”

Teams based in Germany, Poland and Turkey are monitoring the situation of Hassan and could swoop for him in the coming weeks, but he has said he may remain in Denmark as he becomes eligible for a Danish passport in November 2016.

“I am not bothered. I have to keep doing my best on the field, that is what is important for the team, I am not thinking about my contract situation.

“So many teams know I will soon be a free agent and have been calling. My target is to help the team so we can qualify for a European competition next season.

“The only thing that will make me stay is to get my Danish Passport. I will become eligible by November,” added Hassan.

This season, Rilwan Hassan has scored 5 goals in the Superliga and went the distance against Randers on Sunday afternoon.
Ifeanyi Emmanuel
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19136

[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 8:42pm On May 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
IBRAHIM SHUAIBU’S GOAL FAIL TO SECURE ALL THREE POINTS FOR HAUGESUND
[/size]

Former Giwa FC of Jos forward Ibrahim Shuaibu scored for the second consecutive game in the Norwegian top flight league scoring in the 16th minute for FK Haugesund as they battle to a 1-1 draw against Rosenborg.

Last week the 19 year old scored his first goal for FK Haugesund which gave them all three points away at Valerenga but this time around his goal could only earn his team just a point.

Shuaibu wasn’t the only Nigerian on show in the game as William Troost Ekong lasted the entire duration of the game for Haugesund with Shuaibu going off in the 70th minute.

The third Nigerian on the books of the 5th place team in Norway Anthony Izuchukwu failed to add to his 8th appearances this season as he was an unused substitute in the game.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/05/22/ibrahim-shuaibus-goal-fail-to-secure-all-three-points-for-haugesund/

[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 8:44pm On May 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
IMOH EZEKIEL BIDS GOODBYE TO ANDERLECHT
[/size]

Nigeria U-23 striker,Imoh Ezekiel said his goodbye to the fans of his loan side Anderlecht after their 2-0 win over Zulte- Waregem in the Championship playoff in Belgium.

Ezekiel played the last 13 minutes of the encounter to bring to 20 his number of appearances for the team this season but failed to add to his solitary strike this season which came on the 29th of October 2015.

His future is still unclear but they are reports citing him as an option for Olympique Marseille in France who are set to lose their top striker Mitchy Batshuayi in the summer.

However any transfer can only be sanctioned by his parent owners Al-Arabi of Qatar who are yet to disclose their plans for the 22 year old as at the time of filing in this report.

The former 36 Lions forward reportedly turned down a move to the lucrative Chinese Super League in January to finish the season in Europe and they are indications he doesn’t want to return to Qatar as he favours a stay in Europe.

He will have an opportunity to put himself in the shop window of many European teams if he excels for Nigeria at the Olympic games although he is not yet guarantee a spot in the team.

Nigeria’s Olympic team has fierce competition for spots but Ezekiel who was outstanding in their shock 1-0 friendly win over Brazil will have another opportunity to press his claims for a spot with a strong showing at the upcoming South Korea invitational tournament which Nigeria are set to participate in.
*Daniel Martins
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/05/22/imoh-ezekiel-bids-goodbye-to-anderlecht/

[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 8:47pm On May 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
HAMBURG STEP UP WILFRED NDIDI CHASE WITH €6m BID
[/size]

A close source to inform Genk of Belgium Nigerian midfielder Wilfred Ndidi has confirmed to Owngoalnigeria.com that the 19 year old is a subject of a €6m bid from German side Hamburg.

Comfortable as a central defender, He has shown like a million stars this season for Genk playing in an unfamiliar defensive midfield role where he has also moved upfield to score vital goals for his team.

He presently has four goals to his name with two assists and Hamburg who escaped relegation to the second tier in Germany are set to make a swoop for him even though he recently signed a contract extension with Genk.

“To my own understanding there was a bid in the region of €6m although incentive based for Ndidi by Hamburg, Genk are refusing to negotiate as he only recently penned a new four year deal” A source close to the player told Owngoalnigeria.com.

When we sought to get clarification if it’s true that Borrussia Dortmund are also eyeing the 19 year old, we were told they only made an inquiry but didn’t firm it up with a bid or contract proposal.

“It was just an inquiry to sound out Genk over his availability and since they got a response they didn’t come back with a bid, that is the best I know”.
*Rasheed Michael
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/05/22/hamburg-step-up-wilfred-ndidi-chase-with-e6m-bid/

[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Xlad(m): 10:17pm On May 22, 2016
Sia1 is a nice and good coach but his problems all the time are "favouritism" and "my boys". I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to include Chibuzor Okonkwo in this team.
I don't see any reason why he should include Ighalo. As it stands now, K. Iheanacho is nigerian's most lethal striker if not african most lethal striker based on his accuracy ratings. He was better than Aguero, De Bruyne, Bony, Nevas etc. He drops back to get the ball and also makes those enticing runs/moves, while Ighalo always want the ball to come to him before he can do anything. And which defender will just be there standing and watching him get the ball and score a goal? That's why he found it difficult to replicate his scoring ability in the B part of last season because coaches and defenders have studied and brought out MANY ways of dealing and starving him from getting the ball.
I prefer having A. Samuel, Chikatara and even Oshimen/O. Kayode to Ighalo in this olympic team because all these players always work very hard to score goals.

About Issac Success; he won best player of the season in his club due to his contributions as a winger and not as a striker. Some of us including I are optimistic for him to return to that position of a striker, but we don't know about the future. like Bale from a defensive position to one of the world most expensive wingers. Lets encourage Success more as a winger, i have a faith that he will develop fully to be among the world most fearful wingers. He has the pace, strength, energy, skills and nice"football mentality" than M. Simeon, V. Moses and A. Musa.
In my own opinion, i strongly think S. Moses and Musa still play 80s, 90s pattern of football as a winger. Always putting the ball on the run till the reach the corner-kick flag before they can cross the ball. While modern wingers like Neymar, Sanchez, Hazard, Issac Success tongue always cut-in anytime they are with the ball. this just ended season, Success is our best winger for now.

I like all these players oooh grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:23am On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
NIGERIAN DUO LIFT VIKING TO VICTORY OVER LILLESTROEM
[/size]

Suleiman Abdullahi and Samuel Adegbenro scored both goals for Viking to power them to a 2-1 win over Lillestroem in a Norway Tippeligaen game decided on Sunday.

Four Nigerian players started the game two on each side with Innocent Bonke and Friday Fred lining up for Lillestroem who are presently placed 8th on the log table.

One among the Nigerian quartet, Suleiman Abdullahi scored the first goal of the game courtesy of an assist from his Nigerian teammate Adegbenro in the 22nd minute.

Adegbenro broke the heart of the Nigerian duo of Fred and Bonke when he struck the winner on the dot of full time when it appears like Viking have done enough to earn a point from the game.

The goal was Adegbenro first of the season and it decided the game in his team’s favour and in the process lift them to 6th spot on the log standing.

Viking will be hoping the goal opened the floodgates of more goals for Adegbenro who scored five times last season but only just got off the mark this season four goals behind his strike partner and Nigeria teammate Abdullahi who is on 5 goals after 12 round of games in Norway.

Friday Fred who started the season in Norway scoring goals with reckless abandon for Viking has surprisingly now gone three games without a goal after scoring 8 in the first six consecutive games of the season.
*Daniel Martins
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/05/22/nigerian-duo-lift-viking-to-victory-over-lillestroem/

[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:02am On May 23, 2016
[size=14pt]
Ajayi Scores 10th League Goal For Sfaxien
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Nigeria U-23s striker Junior Ajayi was the match hero for CS Sfaxien who defeated Esperance 1-0 in a feisty encounter in the Tunisian Ligue 1 on Sunday, Comple tesportsnigeria.com reports.

The former Shooting Stars player headed home the winner for his side in the 68th minute to take CS Sfaxien to second on the log and two points above Esperance.

The strike was his 10th of the campaign for CS Sfaxien in his debut season which makes him third joint-top scorer in the Tunisian Ligue 1.

CS Sfaxien have 66 points from 27 games with three games left to play.

Ajayi is expected to be named in Nigeria’s provisional squad for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games men’s football event in August.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/ajayi-scores-10th-league-goal-sfaxien/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:05am On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Awaziem Starts As Porto Lose Portuguese Cup Final
[/size]

By James Agberebi:
Nigerian youngster Chidozie Awaziem and FC Porto lost 4-2 on penalties to Sporting Braga in the Portuguese Cup final on Sunday.

The match was tied at 2-2 after extra-time.

Awaziem, who has been invited for Nigeria’s friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg after breaking into the Porto first team in January, was on from the start but later made way for Ruben Neves on 46 minutes.

Rui Fonte put Sporting Braga 1-0 ahead in the 12th minute.
Josue doubled Braga’s lead in the 58th minute of the encounter.

Three minutes later, Andre Silva reduced the deficit when he scored for FC Porto.

And in the 90th minute, Silva drew Porto level to drag the game into extra-time.

The defeat means Porto were denied the chance to win their 17th Portuguese Cup.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/npfl-sunshine-stun-abia-warriors-akwa-beat-3sc/

[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Pavarotti: 4:19pm On May 23, 2016

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Pavarotti: 4:27pm On May 23, 2016
Learnt Siasia has invited Derick osede as well

Isn't this list getting too long ?

Does our coach have a focus ?

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:49pm On May 23, 2016
Pavarotti:

Derek Osede is a fantastic invitation. He is well trained, grew up in Real Academy and trained along side promising youngsters of Spain like Jese, Morata, Sarabia.

He also played and grew up among brilliant Spanish footballers with the Spanish National youth teams like Thiago Alcantara, Deulofeu, Isco, Sarabia, Morata, Illaramendi, Jese and many more.

He is a well groomed player and will bring technical brilliance and organization to our defence.

Nice invitation.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:55pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria Federation In Race Against Time To Process Visa To France For Porto Defender Awaziem
[/size]

The Nigeria Football Federation is battling to process a visa for Porto rising star Chidozie Awaziem, with only four days left before the Super Eagles tackle Mali in an international friendly in Rouen, France.

It has come to light that the central defender does not have a valid residence permit which would have enabled him travel to France without a visa, and to make matters worse he only applied for a visa to France on Monday, May 23rd, according to the player’s intermediary.

“We are working on Chidozie getting a visa to France, the Nigeria Football Federation is trying to get him a visa from Abuja,” said agent Babawo Mohammed to allnigeriasoccer.com.

“The NFF officials are talking with Porto directly. He has not been issued the visa at this moment, he applied today.

“His residence permit is still being processed and will be out before next season. He was playing for Porto with a temporary residence permit.”

The 19-year-old Awaziem, who trained with the Golden Eaglets prior to his move to Portugal, played the first forty five minutes of Porto’s shoot-out loss to Sporting Braga in the final of the Taça de Portugal on Sunday.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19146
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:00pm On May 23, 2016
Why was Chidozie Awaziem substituted in the early minutes of the game, did he not impress?

[b][size=14pt]
Awaziem’s Porto lose Taça de Portugal to Braga
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/c2/30/chidozie-awaziem_1cfxyzk4gkmbl14tts016gd2ux.jpg?t=-627152236&w=620&h=430[/img]
Chidozie Awaziem

By Shina Oludare

The Nigerian was on parade for the Dragons as they bowed to the Archbishops in the final of the Portuguese Cup on Sunday

Nigeria defender Chidozie Awaziem was handed a starters’ shirt as FC Porto lost the Portuguese Cup to cross-city rivals SC Braga on penalties.

The game was decided via kicks from the penalty spot after scores stood at 2-2 after regulation time.

19-year-old Awaziem made way for Ruben Neves after 46 minutes as José Peseiro’s came from a two-goal deficit to level score in the closing minutes of the game.

Braga had capitalised on defensive errors from Porto to take a two-goal lead courtesy of Rui Fonte and Josue, but Andre Silva scored twice to force the game into extra-time.

With the game undecided after 120 minutes, kicks from the penalty spot was used to separate both teams and Marcelo Goiano converted the winning spot-kick after Hector Herrera and Maxi Pereira had missed for Porto.

The defeat rounded out a miserable season for the Dragons who finished third in the league behind Benfica and Sporting Lisbon. They have not won a title since 2013.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4110/nigerians-abroad/2016/05/22/23826802/awaziems-porto-lose-ta%C3%A7a-de-portugal-to-braga?ICID=HP_HN_3
[/b]

cc: TheSuperNerd, tbaba1234, and all others that followed the game live.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:01pm On May 23, 2016
[size=14pt]
Hemel Hempstead Town Snap Up Ex-Barnet Youth Team Skipper Callum Adebiyi
[/size]

Hemel Hempstead Town have bolstered their defensive ranks ahead of next season with the signing of Callum Adebiyi.

The left-back was on the books of the Tudors before switching to Kings Langley on loan for the 2012-2013 season, before his move was made permanent.

Adebiyi enjoyed relative success at the Kings, scoring 10 goals in 189 appearances across all competitions in four seasons.

The 22-year-old spent his formative years as a footballer with Barnet and skippered the youth team of The Bees.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19148

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:06pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
USA U23s Star Of Nigerian Heritage Alashe Rescues Points For SJ Earthquakes
[/size]

Fatai Alashe netted an 87th minute equalizer to rescue a 1-1 draw for San Jose Earthquakes in their Major League Soccer clash against LA Galaxy on Sunday.

The home team thought they had snatched all three points when Marvell Wynne scored an own goal after 83 minutes but Alashe, a United States U23 international, had the final say when he headed past goalkeeper Brian Rowe.

The 22-year-old’s strike was his fourth goal for San Jose Earthquakes since he made his debut in the American topflight and his second of the season, having registered his name on the score sheet against New York Red Bulls on April 14.

Alashe played the full game at the StubHub Center, Carson, California while Switzerland international Innocent Emeghara did not make the 18-man squad.

SJ Earthquakes take on FC Dallas in their next game in the MLS.

Igho Kingsley
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19141
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:16pm On May 23, 2016
Pavarotti:

EXCLUSIVE: SIASIA LIST EX- REAL MADRID YOUNGSTER FOR OLYMPIC DUTIES WITH NIGERIA

According to reports gathered by Owngoalnigeria.com, Derek Osede Prieto who was once on the books of Spanish giants Real Madrid is on Nigeria’s U-23s provisional list for the Rio Olympics.

Osede who presently plays for Bolton Wanderers met with coach of the Nigeria U-23 team Samson Siasia in London during the coach’s visit to check on John Obi Mikel and Odion Ighalo to confirm their availability as over age players in his team for the Olympics.

Born in Madrid to a Nigerian father and a Spanish mother, Osede represented Spain at U-21 level but switched allegiance to Nigeria last year while still at Spanish giants Real Madrid and was recently issued a Nigerian passport by the Nigerian embassy in London.

He joined Real Madrid in 2002 and rose from the C team to the B team but was only called up to the senior team once during his time at the club and that was when he made the substitute bench for the La-Liga game against Deportivo La Coruna on the 14th of February 2015.

Last summer following the relegation of Real Madrid B team to the third division he left for English Championship side Bolton Wanderers on a free transfer but he once again suffered relegation.

However 23 year old Osede was among the few players who ended the season with pass mark for the Trotters as exemplified by his teammates who voted him as their third best player at their end of the season awards.

Comfortable as a central defender or as a full back he played in exactly half of the league matches Bolton Wanderers played in the Championship last season.

*Rasheed Michael
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/05/23/exclusive-siasia-list-ex-real-madrid-youngster-for-olympic-duties-with-nigeria/
@the bolded.
Will Derek Osede come in as an overage player?

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:26pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Scottish club chase goal poacher Obaje
Posted By: Tunde Liadi
[/size]

Nigeria league current leading scorer, Godwin Obaje, who plies his trade with Wikki Tourists, is a subject of serious transfer target by an unnamed Scottish club, a top official of the Bauchi side has told SportingLife.

Obaje has scored 12 goals in the league as at Match Day 18 ties including six in the last four matches and the chairman of Wikki, Alhaji Isa Matori has told SportingLife that a top Scottish club has made enquiries about the striker.

He also confirmed that a club in the NPFL has also reached out to them to ask for the striker’s services but that they would only like Obaje to leave for another club at the right price.

The Wikki chairman informed SportingLife that they would consider so many things before allowing their leading marksman to go . The player must also show the willingness that he desires a move.

He also pointed out that selling Obaje to a foreign club would be the perfect fix for the Bauchi side as it desires to recoup part of the cash spent before acquiring his signature.

http://thenationonlineng.net/scottish-club-chase-goal-poacher-obaje/[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 10:49pm On May 23, 2016
terzurum5:

EXCLUSIVE: SIASIA LIST EX- REAL MADRID YOUNGSTER FOR OLYMPIC DUTIES WITH NIGERIA

According to reports gathered by Owngoalnigeria.com, Derek Osede Prieto who was once on the books of Spanish giants Real Madrid is on Nigeria’s U-23s provisional list for the Rio Olympics.

Osede who presently plays for Bolton Wanderers met with coach of the Nigeria U-23 team Samson Siasia in London during the coach’s visit to check on John Obi Mikel and Odion Ighalo to confirm their availability as over age players in his team for the Olympics.

Born in Madrid to a Nigerian father and a Spanish mother, Osede represented Spain at U-21 level but switched allegiance to Nigeria last year while still at Spanish giants Real Madrid and was recently issued a Nigerian passport by the Nigerian embassy in London.

He joined Real Madrid in 2002 and rose from the C team to the B team but was only called up to the senior team once during his time at the club and that was when he made the substitute bench for the La-Liga game against Deportivo La Coruna on the 14th of February 2015.

Last summer following the relegation of Real Madrid B team to the third division he left for English Championship side Bolton Wanderers on a free transfer but he once again suffered relegation.

However 23 year old Osede was among the few players who ended the season with pass mark for the Trotters as exemplified by his teammates who voted him as their third best player at their end of the season awards.

Comfortable as a central defender or as a full back he played in exactly half of the league matches Bolton Wanderers played in the Championship last season.

*Rasheed Michael
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/05/23/exclusive-siasia-list-ex-real-madrid-youngster-for-olympic-duties-with-nigeria/
@the bolded.
Will Derek Osede come in as an overage player?

Osede is eligible as an u23 player.. He was born February 1993.

Eligibility starts from Jan 1993. Anyone born before January 1993 is overage.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 10:56pm On May 23, 2016
terzurum5:
Why was Chidozie Awaziem substituted in the early minutes of the game, did he not impress?

[
cc: TheSuperNerd, tbaba1234, and all others that followed the game live.

He was shaky, made errors.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.