Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,480 members, 7,830,418 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (267) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (700288 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 8:16am On Jun 21, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Guess things didn't work out as fully expected. I remember he was said to have secured a 3year deal with Westerlo of Belgium around April 2015 before New Zealand 2015 kicked off.

Well, I am glad he's back. Hopefully, he builds on strongly from here. smiley

Are you still in Baltimore?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:26am On Jun 21, 2016
Lol... I am currently in Lagos Sir. But will be travelling to Anambra yet again soon.

I shuttle between both cities occasionally for studies, research and some more. wink

I only hit Baltimore when the on-campus phase of my online/oncampus special research scholarships program kicks in. smiley

tbaba1234:

Are you still in Baltimore?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 8:43am On Jun 21, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Lol... I am currently in Lagos Sir. But will be travelling to Anambra yet again soon.

I shuttle between both cities occasionally for studies, research and some more. wink

I only hit Baltimore when the on-campus phase of my online/oncampus special research scholarships program kicks in. smiley

Alright, because i am close to Baltimore at the moment... 1 hr drive..
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:07am On Jun 21, 2016
Seriously? Wow....

Eh yeaaa.... well, who knows? We could yet meet in the near future.... smiley

Not so sure about that shaa... But lemme cling to the little hope that exists for that coz when in Baltimore, I will always be shut out from the rest of the world for about a week and a half (or two weeks +max.) before heading back to Nigeria... wink

My oncampus phase (normally dynamically scheduled) requires that I utilise my 2weeks+Max. stay whenever I am called in. And it can occur twice or thrice a year. smiley

tbaba1234:

Alright, because i am close to Baltimore at the moment... 1 hr drive..

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Pavarotti: 10:33am On Jun 21, 2016
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Napoleon55(m): 10:47am On Jun 21, 2016
joseph1013:
Yes! The beast is in the Premier League. He won't stay up to two years at Watford before a bigger team snaps him up. I am that optimistic.
Better
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by confun: 12:48pm On Jun 21, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

BREAKING: GRANADA ISACC SUCCESS AGRESS FIVE YEAR DEAL WITH WATFORD

It is all but confirmed that Isacc Sucess won’t be playing for La-Liga side Granada next season after reaching an agreement to join English Premiership side Watford on a five year deal.

Athletico Madrid and West Ham were also linked with the forward but Watford beat the duo to the signing of the in demand forward after a ground breaking meeting which took place between the player’s agent and the hierarchy of the Premiership side.

Owngoalnigeria.com gathered that his agent Alfredo Fernandez held talks with Watford where terms of the initial deal proposed to 20 year were improved by the club before an agreement was reached.

Success will be annouced as a Watford player as early as next week, a big step up for the 20 year old who was once upon a time rated highly than Manchester City teen star Kelechi Iheanacho during their time together with the Nigeria U-17s.

Comfortable as a top striker he can also play from the wings and last season was his most prolific in front of goal with six goals to his name from 30 games for Granada where he has been since 2013.

He will team up with fellow Nigerian Odion Ighalo at Vicarage Road although they could miss the start of the season in England as they are reports the duo are set to be included in Nigeria’s team to the Rio 2016 Olympics.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/06/21/breaking-granada-isacc-success-agress-five-year-deal-with-watford/
so happy with this news.....happy for Isaac success.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by confun: 12:51pm On Jun 21, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

where in lag?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by solotutu(m): 2:08pm On Jun 21, 2016
guys, pls I solicit for votes to vote Lanicky for Miss Nairaland. it's round two today and she'll need your votes

https://www.nairaland.com/3178760/miss-nairaland-contest-2016-elimination...
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by samueld0(m): 3:13pm On Jun 21, 2016
Super Eagles defender, Godfrey Oboabona, has confirmed that head coach of the U-23 side, Samson Siasia, has approached him to play at the 2016 Olympic Games. Oboabona, who plays for Rizespor, is expected to return to his Turkish club this week for pre-season preparations. But says it will be an honour to feature in Rio. “Yes I have been contacted about the Olympics by the coach but nothing has been decided yet as my club is yet to be notified by the Nigeria Football Federation for my release,” he said. Nigeria are in Group C of the Olympic men’s football event, along with Sweden, Colombia and Japan.
http://dailypost.ng/2016/06/21/siasia-wants-me-to-play-at-olympics-oboabona/

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by samueld0(m): 3:15pm On Jun 21, 2016
i pray he rediscover his 2013 form @rio
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:55pm On Jun 21, 2016
Madam Confun... I am presently based in Ikeja....... smiley

confun:
where in lag?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:33pm On Jun 21, 2016
Pavarotti:
7 Questions raised from the Suwon Tournament

http://www.soccerassembly.com/7-questions-raised-from-the-suwon-tournament/

I bet you, Coach Samson Siasia can not answer any of the questions raised.

It's now so obvious that Siaone was only playing to the gallery.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by linked: 5:47pm On Jun 21, 2016
When Samson siasia is sacked eventually, never again should he be appointed coach of any of the NTs.... not even as an assistant or a technical advicer... He has lot it already...

Having taken some time off through a sack imposed sabbatical from the NT after the 2012 debacle, it was expectd that siasia would have by now--after critical self appraisals--reinvent himself as a coach... No!

Even when the old dogs can now learn new tricks, siasia has in no way change himself... You never can achieve a different result when you keep thinking the same way. Something is fundamentally wrong..

Siasia is a man who keep basking on past glory... Could it all have been a fluke?... Maybe No or Maybe Yes.. chronic failures in recent times makes the latter more plausible..

Siasia have now reached the final cross road... either deliver and revel in renewed glory or sabotage the dream team and go into eternal oblivion...

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by rabzy: 6:54pm On Jun 21, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

BREAKING: GRANADA ISACC SUCCESS AGRESS FIVE YEAR DEAL WITH WATFORD

It is all but confirmed that Isacc Sucess won’t be playing for La-Liga side Granada next season after reaching an agreement to join English Premiership side Watford on a five year deal.

Athletico Madrid and West Ham were also linked with the forward but Watford beat the duo to the signing of the in demand forward after a ground breaking meeting which took place between the player’s agent and the hierarchy of the Premiership side.

Owngoalnigeria.com gathered that his agent Alfredo Fernandez held talks with Watford where terms of the initial deal proposed to 20 year were improved by the club before an agreement was reached.

Success will be annouced as a Watford player as early as next week, a big step up for the 20 year old who was once upon a time rated highly than Manchester City teen star Kelechi Iheanacho during their time together with the Nigeria U-17s.

Comfortable as a top striker he can also play from the wings and last season was his most prolific in front of goal with six goals to his name from 30 games for Granada where he has been since 2013.

He will team up with fellow Nigerian Odion Ighalo at Vicarage Road although they could miss the start of the season in England as they are reports the duo are set to be included in Nigeria’s team to the Rio 2016 Olympics.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/06/21/breaking-granada-isacc-success-agress-five-year-deal-with-watford/

Please let's have his yester years pictures handy because soon the rats would come out of the woodwork and claim he is 40 yrs old

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by emeo20: 7:12pm On Jun 21, 2016
linked:
When Samson siasia is sacked eventually, never again should he be appointed coach of any of the NTs.... not even as an assistant or a technical advicer... He has lot it already...

Having taken some time off through a sack imposed sabbatical from the NT after the 2012 debacle, it was expectd that siasia would have by now--after critical self appraisals--reinvent himself as a coach... No!

Even when the old dogs can now learn new tricks, siasia has in no way change himself... You never can achieve a different result when you keep thinking the same way. Something is fundamentally wrong..

Siasia is a man who keep basking on past glory... Could it all have been a fluke?... Maybe No or Maybe Yes.. chronic failures in recent times makes the latter more plausible..

Siasia have now reached the final cross road... either deliver and revel in renewed glory or sabotage the dream team and go into eternal oblivion...

Siasia should take this forth coming Olympic football tournament very seriously and drop most of the mediocre members of the team that took part in the Suwon invitational tournament and make sure players such as Kelechi Iheanacho,Isaac Success,Alex Iwobi,Imoh Ezekiel,Wilfred Ndidi,Chidozie Awaziem,Moses Simon,Musa Muhammed and Kingsley Madu participate in the Olympics. He can even call Dele Alampasu too.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 7:28pm On Jun 21, 2016
[b][size=14pt]6 MILLION EUROS BID FOR WILFRED NDIDI REJECTED, CLUB 'WON'T SELL CHEAP'[/size]

AfricanFootball.com can specially reveal that top Belgian club KRC Genk have turned down a six million Euros bid for Nigeria star Wilfred Ndidi, less than two years after they paid $200,000 for him.

READ: Ndidi, Moses Simon, Madu lead new Olympic team

“Genk have already rejected a six million Euros bid for Wilfred Ndidi,” one of his known representatives informed only AfricanFootball.com

“The truth of the matter is that Wilfred won’t go on the cheap as Genk have produced some top stars like Kevin De Bruyne now of Manchester City, Christian Benteke, Divock Origi (Liverpool), Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea), and all these players did not leave on a cheap.”

The 19-year-old Ndidi has made a remarkable progress in a highly promising career.

He joined Genk in January 2015 as a central defender and playsed six matches mostly as a left or right fullback.

However, this season he celebrated his conversion as defensive midfielder by playing 38 matches and scoring four goals in the league as Genk qualified for the championship play-offs and eventually booked their passage to next season’s UEFA Europa League.

His goal against champions Club Brugge in the regular season was also voted the best in the entire Belgian league.

Ndidi has won three full international caps and he is now set to feature at the Rio Olympics.

http://africanfootball.com/news/631758/6-million-Euros-bid-for-Wilfred-Ndidi-rejected-club-wont-sell-cheap[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 8:35pm On Jun 21, 2016
Siasia is jst one kind of a guy. So if nt for dat defeat by Denmark he would have taken dat wack team to Rio.

He has now called up Omeruo, troost-Ekong and Obaobona.I thought Oduduwa and Amaefule were his best CB players.

I still dnt fancy d idea of Daniel Akpeyi. Why nt even Carl Ikeme since he has lost confidence in Emmanuel Daniel.

In my opinion any player hu is nt good enough for the Super Eagles is nt good enough for this Olympic team.

Simon Moses, Alex Iwobi, Kelechi Iheanacho, Wilfred Ndidi, William Troost-Ekong, Kingsley Madu, Oghenekaro Etebor, Azubuike Okechukwu, Isaac Success(a Super Eagles material), Aaron Samuel, Chisom Chikatara name them are some of d U23 players hu have proven themselves at senior level(except Success) .These names we want to b hearing abt now as we build up to d Olympics. Siasia is jst distracting himselve with all those his so called boys.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by DrinkWater10: 8:35pm On Jun 21, 2016
City are about to sign Spaniard, Nolito.
I wonder what this portends for Iheanacho's future in the club, because Bony and Aguero are not moving.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Napoleon55(m): 8:45pm On Jun 21, 2016
Mickael2:

I will name them later but let me address the other things you said.

We did not beat the World Champions Brazil, neither did we beat the Copa America champs, we beat their U23 side, there is a huge difference there. Romario was not in the team that we beat was he? Yet he was Brazil's best player.

We were not tagged as underdogs in the 98 tourney by any means. Infact, the World was shocked that we lost out in the Round of 16, everyone expected us to beat Denmark who were not just any weak team too. So that 98 team was in no way considered the underdogs, but you do understand that they were considered outsiders for the title infact!

How did I miss out of this argument,thank u mr. Nerd for standing up 4 Nigeria football,Mikael2 and co should be reminded that Nigeria almost defeated Italy in USA '94,just 2' + 3' added time that denied us that chance,Italy went on to play in the final,Bulgaria team we trashed 3-0 went as far as semifinal,even Argentina had to struggle to defeat us, what would have happened if we had succeeded,only God knows,perhaps we would have been would champion,and we would have dominated world football at least for 5ys.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:13pm On Jun 21, 2016
DrinkWater10:
I wonder what this portends for Iheanacho's future in the club, because Bony and Aguero are not moving.

The signing won't affect Nacho much because Guardiola likes to play with Inverted forwards. Nolito is right footed who plays on the left as Sterling does for Manchester City. Nolito is going to affect Sterling's game time. It seems the bosses of Manchester City are giving up on Sterling.

We were already chasing Aubamayeng who is also right footed. Sad for Sterling.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:14pm On Jun 21, 2016
DrinkWater10:

Competition brings out d best in a player. U dnt expect City nt to buy players bc of Iheanacho. Iheanacho himself should prove his worth to fully break into City's first 11.

BTW how are u sure that Nalito would b better than Iheanacho. Is it nt the same Nolito we are watching in this Euro2016? City are fond of over valueing players hu later end up as flops. I trust Iheanacho to break into City's first 11 this season.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:16pm On Jun 21, 2016
Icon4s:
Siasia is jst one kind of a guy. So if nt for dat defeat by Denmark he would have taken dat wack team to Rio.

He has now called up Omeruo, troost-Ekong and Obaobona.I thought Oduduwa and Amaefule were his best CB players.

I still dnt fancy d idea of Daniel Akpeyi. Why nt even Carl Ikeme since he has lost confidence in Emmanuel Daniel.

In my opinion any player hu is nt good enough for the Super Eagles is nt good enough for this Olympic team.

Simon Moses, Alex Iwobi, Kelechi Iheanacho, Wilfred Ndidi, William Troost-Ekong, Kingsley Madu, Oghenekaro Etebor, Azubuike Okechukwu, Isaac Success(a Super Eagles material), Aaron Samuel, Chisom Chikatara name them are some of d U23 players hu have proven themselves at senior level(except Success) .These names we want to b hearing abt now as we build up to d Olympics. Siasia is jst distracting himselve with all those his so called boys.

You hit the nail on the head. Coach Siasia is looking mediocre with his selections. If we are going with an Overage Goalkeeper, why not the Nigerian number one Goalkeeper.

SMH.

<<<Walks out of thread with my hands shoved in my pocket and head faced down. >>>
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:21pm On Jun 21, 2016
Icon4s:

Competition brings out d best in a player. U dnt expect City nt to buy players bc of Iheanacho. Iheanacho himself should prove his worth to fully break into City's first 11.

BTW how are u sure that Nalito would b better than Iheanacho. Is it nt the same Nolito we are watching in this Euro2016? City are fond of over valueing players hu later end up as flops. I trust Iheanacho to break into City's first 11 this season.

We are getting Nolito at a good bargain. Good quality player for £14 million. He is also 29 years, so he is a short term investment and cover for Sterling.

You are right. Iheanacho has to continue working hard and raising his game if he wants to make it at Manchester City. I see him making it because Nacho has shown dedication to excel.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:40pm On Jun 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

You hit the nail on the head. Coach Siasia is looking mediocre with his selections. If we are going with an Overage Goalkeeper, why not the Nigerian number one Goalkeeper.

SMH.

<<<Walks out of thread with my hands shoved in my pocket and head faced down. >>>

My brother, the thing tire person. We dnt even know what to think or expect again. Everybody on this thread already know 90% of d players hu are good enough for Rio bt Siasia myopicly chosed to work with a bunch of less than mediocre players.

The other day Pinnick came out to ask for evidence of bribery incidents against Siasia. In as much as I am nt among those that brought up d bribery case i wouldnt blame those that believe he took bribes bc his approach is indicating so.

I dnt blieve he took bribes bt i believe he wants to make Super Stars of those mediocre players so as make money from their sign on fees when d money bags start coming.

If Siasia is nt checked, he would b on the way to self destruction. By then this same Pinnick dat is defending him would b d one to sign his sack letter.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by emeo20: 10:13pm On Jun 21, 2016
Icon4s:

I think Chidozie Awaziem is a better CB than William Troost-Ekong and should be called ahead of the latter.Nigeria has a world class CB in the making with lots of potential and might even be called to the national team of Portugal in a year or two w...hen he obtains a Portuguese passport incase he isn't capped by Nigeria.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 7:42am On Jun 22, 2016
Fun Fact Of The Day: Did you know? That in Pep's first season as manager in Barca, he had to face the dilemma of letting Messi go for the Olympics? (Which he eventually did)....guess which player he's going to have to repeat the same thing with in his first season as City coach wink

BTW, so glad Success is going to the EPL...the media coverage there is massive and I'm sure he'll skip past defenders in the EPL. We're going back to the days when Nigerian footballers had a significant presence in world football.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by lexyman(m): 8:07am On Jun 22, 2016
safarigirl:
Fun Fact Of The Day: Did you know? That in Pep's first season as manager in Barca, he had to face the dilemma of letting Messi go for the Olympics? (Which he eventually did)....guess which player he's going to have to repeat the same thing with in his first season as City coach wink

BTW, so glad Success is going to the EPL...the media coverage there is massive and I'm sure he'll skip past defenders in the EPL. We're going back to the days when Nigerian footballers had a significant presence in world football.

Please can you find out , did Messi performed well that year ? Too lazy to do that now .... I am hoping Iheanacho will be allowed to go to Rio and make us proud . 1996 Olympics / 2016 Rio Olympics . I think they both have some things in common . #America

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:19am On Jun 22, 2016
Lolll.... this got me smiling and laughing.... grin grin grin

I love it when history repeats its patterns showing connections to greatness.... wink

Like Messi, Like Iheanacho.... but yet two distinct stories even though they share some similar pattern linings in their journeys....

And yes ooooo.... Isaac "THE BEAST" Success has landed in the most watched league in the Galaxy..... grin

Just like you put it beautifully, "We are going back to the days when Nigerian footballers had a significant presence in World Football".... grin

It's all about the dawn of a new era... the rise of Nigeria's next Golden Generation.

#Nigeria's Generation Next Rises..... wink

safarigirl:

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:35am On Jun 22, 2016
Here you go Sir Lexyman... Or should I say Lazyman grin wink

Lolllll... abeg ooo... I just dey kid... wink

You na Oga anytime naa.... smiley

-2005-2006. (Messi's first full season)
25 games, 8 goals, assisting 3. He was playing as a left winger.

- 2006-2007.(Messi still growing)
36 games, 17 goals, 3 assists. He was moved to RW.

- 2007-2008. (Messi before Pep's imminent arrival)
40 games, 16 goals and 13 assists. He surely was maturing.

-2008-2009 (Messi after Pep took over).
51 games, 38 goals and 17 assists. Messi was top scorer. He played more centrally by Pep.

So your focus will be on 2007-08 season. wink

Messi in year of Olympics (before Pep's takeover): 16 goals, 13 assists, 40games. For Barca.

Iheanacho in year of Olympics (before Pep's takeover): 14 goals, 7assists (some say 6), 35 games (24 substitute appearances). For Man City only (not including International goals with Nigeria).

Hope this helped.... smiley

lexyman:

Please can you find out , did Messi performed well that year ? Too lazy to do that now .... I am hoping Iheanacho will be allowed to go to Rio and make us proud . 1996 Olympics / 2016 Rio Olympics . I think they both have some things in common . #America

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Mickael2(m): 9:17am On Jun 22, 2016
Napoleon55:

How did I miss out of this argument,thank u mr. Nerd for standing up 4 Nigeria football,Mikael2 and co should be reminded that Nigeria almost defeated Italy in USA '94,just 2' + 3' added time that denied us that chance,Italy went on to play in the final,Bulgaria team we trashed 3-0 went as far as semifinal,even Argentina had to struggle to defeat us, what would have happened if we had succeeded,only God knows,perhaps we would have been would champion,and we would have dominated world football at least for 5ys.

Sir, read my replies well. I even said that the nigerian team of old were considered dark horses for the world title. I did not say that we were not good back then, no sir.

My point is that he said we would dominate in the coming years, then I made mention of the fact that other countries have good players coming out of their academies too
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by amagunnerfan: 10:47am On Jun 22, 2016
Napoleon55:

Not a fan of blaming the dead but truth has to be said right? Keshi's ego cost us big time. BIG TIME.

I was a kid then but hey, I have a dad who WAS a mad football fan and I follow him everywhere. I remember everything back then and how he once labelled me a BASTARD who going against Yekini.

Yekini's lack of Education and Keshi's atttitude cost us a chance at global dominance.

(1) (2) (3) ... (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.