Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,395 members, 7,954,574 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:08 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (715986 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:08pm On Jul 22, 2015
Icon4s:

What différence will these new players make? Are they better than d ones previousely in camp? When i saw 5 new inclusions i was expecting to see more experienced and exposed players like: Aaron Samuel, Kenneth Omeruo, Kingsley Madu, Kennedy Otigba, Imoh Ezekiel. But no na another bunch of novices. sad
I didn't watch the first match but the report I got was not too discouraging, if not for their watefulness in front of goal.
These player are capable of delivering the results and I strongly believe SiaOne knows what he is doing.
Also a player like Aaron Samuel for me should not be drafted to the U23 team because age wise he is **** U know what I mean. They are other young players out there who can express themselves if given a chance. The other four players you mentioned above are ok but how are we sure their clubs will release them for such games? Imoh Ezekiel for instance was invited by Siasia for the first leg but could not honour it because of club engagements.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 5:44am On Jul 23, 2015
terzurum5:

I didn't watch the first match but the report I got was not too discouraging, if not for their watefulness in front of goal.
These player are capable of delivering the results and I strongly believe SiaOne knows what he is doing.
Also a player like Aaron Samuel for me should not be drafted to the U23 team because age wise he is **** U know what I mean. They are other young players out there who can express themselves if given a chance. The other four players you mentioned above are ok but how are we sure their clubs will release them for such games? Imoh Ezekiel for instance was invited by Siasia for the first leg but could not honour it because of club engagements.

Bros I see nothing wrong with Aaron Samuel's age. If his passport says he is 21 so he is.Is it bc he is already in d Super Eagles? No b them Amokachi, Oliseh and Okocha play U23 in 1996 after playing 1994 world cup? I am nt encouraging age cheating but if we dnt have enough evidence we cannot conclude dat he is older than he is claiming.After all we'v seen several cases where players look older than their age eg Robben, Hulk, Ribery, Teves, Diego Costa etc

Abeg no time for experiments we need our best legs to qualify us for that Olympic cos it will help us harvest young players for 2018 WC.

Talking abt release of players by foreign clubs: y is Nigeria always finding it difficult securing d release of foreign players? After all Congo paraded 11 Europe based players in there last squad against Nigeria. Question is what did d Congo football federation do dat d NFF did nt do?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:22am On Jul 23, 2015
Icon4s:

Bros I see nothing wrong with Aaron Samuel's age. If his passport says he is 21 so he is.Is it bc he is already in d Super Eagles? No b them Amokachi, Oliseh and Okocha play U23 in 1996 after playing 1994 world cup? I am nt encouraging age cheating but if we dnt have enough evidence we cannot conclude dat he is older than he is claiming.After all we'v seen several cases where players look older than their age eg Robben, Hulk, Ribery, Teves, Diego Costa etc

Abeg no time for experiments we need our best legs to qualify us for that Olympic cos it will help us harvest young players for 2018 WC.

Talking abt release of players by foreign clubs: y is Nigeria always finding it difficult securing d release of foreign players? After all Congo paraded 11 Europe based players in there last squad against Nigeria. Question is what did d Congo football federation do dat d NFF did nt do?
May be good negotiation.

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:27am On Jul 23, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Imoh Ezekiel relishes Champions League action with Anderlecht
[/size]
Nigeria striker Imoh Ezekiel has said he looks forward to Champions League action with new Belgian club Anderlecht after he agreed a year’s loan deal from Qatari team Al Arabi.
He told Anderlecht TV: "I am very happy to be here in Anderlecht, they are the best team in Belgium and a great team. I know being the best they want to win trophies.
"I checked the training pitch, changing room and other facilities, they are very nice and I am happy with them.
"I really want to play good and score lots of goals for the team, help the team be in the Champions League and win trophies."
He thanked the team for the opportunity to join them.
"I say thank you to Anderlecht for giving me this opportunity. I believe together we can work and achieve great things for the club," Ezekiel said.
The 21-year-old striker attracted interest from Fenerbahce and clubs in Germany before he opted for Anderlecht.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/552141/Imoh-Ezekiel-relishes-Champions-League-action-with-Anderlecht

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 6:31am On Jul 23, 2015
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
Imoh Ezekiel relishes Champions League action with Anderlecht
[/size]
Nigeria striker Imoh Ezekiel has said he looks forward to Champions League action with new Belgian club Anderlecht after he agreed a year’s loan deal from Qatari team Al Arabi.
He told Anderlecht TV: "I am very happy to be here in Anderlecht, they are the best team in Belgium and a great team. I know being the best they want to win trophies.
"I checked the training pitch, changing room and other facilities, they are very nice and I am happy with them.
"I really want to play good and score lots of goals for the team, help the team be in the Champions League and win trophies."
He thanked the team for the opportunity to join them.
"I say thank you to Anderlecht for giving me this opportunity. I believe together we can work and achieve great things for the club," Ezekiel said.
The 21-year-old striker attracted interest from Fenerbahce and clubs in Germany before he opted for Anderlecht.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/552141/Imoh-Ezekiel-relishes-Champions-League-action-with-Anderlecht

Mr Imoh Ezekiel, so if u so much relish champions league action y did u move to a Qatari Club last season, thereby setting back ur career? U would probably have been in the Super Eagles starting 11 by now.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:04am On Jul 23, 2015
Icon4s:

Mr Imoh Ezekiel, so if u so much relish champions league action y did u move to a Qatari Club last season, thereby setting back ur career? U would probably have been in the Super Eagles starting 11 by now.
Money Money Money Money Rules the World X2
Money is the God and Father of Confusion.
Most Nigerian players ventured into the game just for the sole aim of making money and not to make a name. The white go into the game to make name first for themselves. It is after you have made the name I mean shown the skills you have horned over time that bigger and rich Clubs start running after you, that you beging to make the money. By then the Black Nigerian player's carrier would have dwindled and their marked value would have depreciated regretably, taking them to square zero.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:48am On Jul 23, 2015
[size=14pt]
Dele Alli scores on Spurs debut
[/size]
[img]http://africanfootball.com/news/552146/Dele-Alli-scores-on-Spurs-debut[/img]
Dele Alli in action for Spurs

Nigerian youngster Dele Alli was match winner for Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday when he converted a penalty in the second half as they beat Brentford 2-1.
The former MK Dons midfielder converted the second spot kick of the match in stoppage-time after he was brought down by the opponents’ goalkeeper.
The opening goal was scored by Coulthirst in the 25th minute, the young striker finding the bottom corner of the net with a penalty after Oduwa’s penetrating run into the Bees’ area was abruptly halted by Moses Odubajo.
Bonham dived the right way, but he couldn’t keep out Coulthirst’s effort.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 8:09am On Jul 23, 2015
[size=14pt]
2015 CAF U23 Championship Qualifiers:
Chartered flight to Congo for Dream Team
[/size]
The Nigeria Football Federation have begun plans to ensure that Nigeria make it to the CAF U23 Championship billed for Senegal later in the year.
Part of the plans of the NFF is to transport the team on a chartered flight for the return leg encounter against Congo next week.
Nigeria take a 2-1 lead from the first leg with coach Samson Siasia insisting that his team will qualify.
"I am not under pressure, I have never been. I have the confidence that we would get the needed result, in the game in Congo," he stated.
Siasia speaking after meeting the technical committee of the NFF noted that " the NFF are planning to ensure we have smooth movement from Port Harcourt to Congo and I think that is good.
"On my part, I already have my plans for the return leg and I know we will qualify for the championship."
By Arafat Aliu

africanfootball.com/news/552135/Chartered-flight-to-Congo-for-Dream-Team

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 8:30am On Jul 23, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Iheanacho To Face Ronaldo
-City Youngster Targets First Team Shirt Manchester City youngster, Kelechi Iheanacho has declared t...
[/size]

-City Youngster Targets First Team Shirt
Manchester City youngster, Kelechi Iheanacho has declared that he is desperate to get into the EPL club’s first team and play regularly in the coming season, even as he prepares to take on the like of Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale in The Citizens’ friendly against Real Madrid of Spain this Friday.
It would be another golden chance for Iheanacho to rub shoulders with the elite of world soccer, as he is billed to line out against some of the world’s best players in Melbourne, Australia, but the 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup most valuable player is looking beyond mere friendlies to make his mark in Manchester.
After sealing a dream outing against AS Roma of Italy with a goal on Tuesday, Iheanacho with aim for another encore, as City and Real clash in a high-profile season build-up that brings head-to-head two of European football’s biggest clubs.
The stakes are higher than expected, as City take on Real in the International Champions Cup, with Iheanacho beaming bright, after helping his side win their first match of the pre-season tournament by beating Roma on penalties.
Raheem Sterling’s quicksilver start as City’s record £49million signing inevitably stole the headlines in the victory over Roma,
Burt it was Iheanacho who set up the former Liverpool star less than three minutes into the tie and then scored the second himself with a well-taken effort against the Italians at MCG.
Iheanacho also shone on City’s tour of the United States 12 months ago, but did not obtain a work permit enabling him to play for their youth-team until earlier this year.
City manager, Manuel Pellegrini is expected to underline his faith in the 18-year-old by drafting him into the first-team squad this season if Edin Dzeko and Stevan Jovetic leave the Etihad.
Many eyes will again be on Iheanacho, who has now scored three goals for The Citizens, after another against Roma in the 50th minute, after which Pellegrini reserved special praise for the youngster and Spain youth international, Manu Garcia.
While Madrid lost to the Italians on penalties in their opening game, Manuel Pellegrini’s side can keep up their winning start to the competition when they take on the Spanish giants at the famed Melbourne Cricket Ground.
However, ahead of the game on Friday, Iheanacho admits he is desperate to break into the senior side after once again proving that he can make an impact at the highest level.
He said: ‘The manager has promised me nothing. He’s just told me to keep working hard every day. So as yet I don’t know what my chance is, but I pray that it will come soon.
‘Last season, everything was okay. It was just about getting a work permit, but everything is sorted out now. I am able to play for Man City now.
‘It was nice to get a goal, I feel good about it. This season I hope to be here. I’ve been training hard with them during pre-season and I hope this is the time for me to break into the first-team.’
[/b]

sportsdayonline.com/iheanacho-to-face-ronaldo/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 10:02am On Jul 23, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
NFF slams Leroy
By: Sammy Wejinya
[/size]

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has reacted with “shock and disappointment” to claims by Claude Leroy that Congo’s U23s were badly treated prior to Sunday’s Olympic qualifying game with Nigeria in Port Harcourt.
The veteran French trainer was upset with what he termed “poor treatment” to his team before his side fell 1-2 to the Dream Team VI at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium.
“Nigeria is a big country and I do not think it is necessary to make us wait for more than one hour at the Airport.
“We had to wait for an hour before the Bus arrived at the airport to take us to the hotel.
“The hotel was also not good enough and I don’t think Nigeria should show this kind of behaviour.
“I know that the Nigerian team will be well-treated in Pointe-Noire so we obviously did not deserve this kind of treatment,” a fuming Leroy said while responding to a question posed by supersport.com at the post match press-conference.
The Frenchman’s outburst did not go down well with the NFF with Executive committee member, Barrister Chris Green describing the comments as “untrue”.
“I must say that what Leroy said is untrue. I am receiving these declarations from such a highly-respected coach with shock and disappointment.
“I can tell you without mincing words that the Congolese were treated like Kings upon arriving in Nigeria.
“They were lodged at the five-star Hotel Presidential in Port Harcourt-the same hotel where the Nigerian team stayed without any complaints.
“Even Leroy was kept in a special Presidential suite at the hotel and their team was never delayed at the Airport,” Green said.
The second leg of the Olympic qualifying tie between Nigeria and Congo will hold on August 2 in Pointe-Noire.
[/b]

mobi.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/150723/NFF_slams_Leroy

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 10:13am On Jul 23, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia banks on Sokari to stop Congo
[/size]
[img]http://sunnewsonline.com/new/siasia-banks-on-sokari-to-stop-congo/[/img]
Africa U-23 Championship qualifier
By EMMA NJOKU
COACHSamson Siasia has recalled hot-in-demand combat midfielder, King­sley Sokari, to the Dream Team ahead of the decisive final round, return leg of the Africa U-23 Championship qualifying fixture against the Red Devils of Congo in Pointe-Noire on August 2.
The Enyimba Interna­tional play maker who has been a recurring decimal in three of the national teams; U-20, U-23 and the Super Eagles lately, was dropped from the squad that defeat­ed the Congolese side 2-1 last Sunday in the first leg encounter at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium in Port Harcourt, for reporting late to camp from Tunisia where he went to tidy up his move to Esperance.
According to thenff. com; the official website of the Nigeria Football Fed­eration; Siasia, in a desper­ate move to add bite to his team’s attack and solidify the defence to ensure that the Claude Le Roy-tutored Red Devils do not turn the table against the Dream Team in Pointe-Noire, also invited Abia Warriors’ pro­lific striker, Ndifreke Ef­fiong, Semiu Liadi of Warri Wolves FC, as well as over­seas-based Aminu Umar and Abdullahi Shehu.
The home -based pro­fessionals are expected to report to the Dream Team camp in Port Harcourt immediately while those based overseas are expect­ed in camp by this week­end.
Coach Siasia, accord­ing to the NFF’s website, sounded a note of warn­ing to all players given permission to travel after the team’s first leg game against Congo in Port Har­court to report unfailingly to camp yesterday or be axed.
Meanwhile, the NFF had assured Coach Siasia and the Super Falcons head coach, Christopher Dan­juma, of maximum sup­port in their quest to ensure Nigeria’s qualification for both the Men and Wom­en’s football events at next year’s Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
With last Sunday’s slim 2-1 victory over the Red Devils, the Dream Team needs a draw in Pointe- Noire to qualify for the Af­rica U-23 Championship in Senegal where the top three teams at the end of the tour­nament will represent Af­rica at the Olympics.
[/b]

sunnewsonline.com/new/siasia-banks-on-sokari-to-stop-congo/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 10:16am On Jul 23, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
…Rules Iheanacho out of team
[/size]

From Romanus Ugwu, Abuja
Chief Coach of the U-23 D ream Team VI side, Samson Siasia, has insisted that Manchester City young attacker, Kelechi Iheanacho, and other foreign-based players will not be part of the trip to Congo for the return leg of the qualifier for the 2016 Olympic Games.
Siasia, who spoke to journalists after meeting with the Technical Committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) in Abuja yester­day hinged his decision on Iheana­cho currently on rampage with his Premiership side on the short period of time before the return leg, add­ing that it is only reasonable to rely on the same players who played the first leg in Port Harcourt.
He also declined to give a hint on his approach to the game insisting that he will only work hard to see that the Dream Team gets the de­sired result which will qualify the country for the African qualifying championship in Senegal later in the year.
“Due to the short time before the game, there will be no need to bring some players who are playing abroad because you can never be sure of their coming. We have good players who can give us the game,” he noted
On whether he is under any form of pressure following the slim 2-1 win over Congo, Siasia said: “No, I am not under any pressure because all through my career, I have never been. Also talking about this par­ticular game, I am very optimistic of playing well and winning the game.”
[/b]

sunnewsonline.com/new/rules-iheanacho-out-of-team/

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:31pm On Jul 23, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
NFF, Coaches Strategize Ahead Tougher Olympic Qualifiers
[/size]
[img]http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/nff-coaches-strategize-ahead-tougher-olympic-qualifiers/[/img]
Chairman, NFF Technical and Development Committee, Felix Anyansi-Agwu, has stated that the country’s governing body will live no stone unturned in making sure both the U-23 Eagles and the Super Falcons qualify for the 2016 Olympic Games.
According to thenff.com, Anyansi-Agwu, made this known after Wednesday’s meeting with Head Coaches of the Dream Team and Falcons, Samson Siasia and Christopher Danjuma.
Anyansi-Agwu went on to express optimism that despite the results at the weekend, the two teams will be be in Rio.
“We had very useful deliberations and I can tell you that both Coaches are very confident. They are not under-rating the opposition; just that they believe in their teams to make progress despite expected tough games away from home.
“From the discussions, we were able to decipher the level of support that the two teams will need to succeed. We also have immense experience of the kind of reception that the two countries offer to visiting teams, which is not flattering. We will give the tickets our very best shot.”
And according to Siasia, his experiences with past national teams, will see him through.
“We are aware of what odds will be set against us by the home team when we go to Congo. There are no illusions. But we are up to the task. We are going there strictly for the business of 90 minutes, and that is what will matter.
“Without being immodest, I like to say that I have been in this situation several times with various National Teams. I have always come out victorious. Of course, we will need the maximum support of the NFF to succeed,” Siasia said.
On his part, Danjuma assured that his girls will play the match of their lives against Equatorial Guinea in Bata on August 2.
“We did not go to the last Olympic Games. We will throw everything into the second leg in Equatorial Guinea and then look forward to the final qualifying round,” Danjuma stated.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/nff-coaches-strategize-ahead-tougher-olympic-qualifiers/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:33pm On Jul 23, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia: No Automatic Spot For Awoniyi
[/size]
By Richard Jideaka, Abuja
Nigeria U-23s coach Samson Siasia has given reasons why Taiwo Awoniyi could not start the game against Congo in Port Harcourt last Saturday.
Siasia’s team defeated Congo 2-1 in the first leg of their African U-23 Championship qualifier.
Siasia explained that the gangly striker had a small injury before the game and that was why he started from the bench, stressing that Awoniyi is a good player and would prove useful to the team in Congo.
“Awoniyi must fight his way to the starting line-up because the understanding between Junior Ajayi and Oghenekaru Etebo has been there for a while,” Siasia told comple tesportsnigeria.com. ”
“Awoniyi has to fight his way into that team. We have good strikers I am very happy to say that.”
He revealed that the five players he invited to beef up the team will have to fight their way into the team, adding the list of players for the second leg will emerge from training.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/siasia-no-automatic-spot-for-awoniyi/

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:31pm On Jul 23, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Akinwunmi: Siasia’s Eagles Must Work Hard
[/size]

Akinwunmi: Siasia’s Eagles Must Work Hard
By Bamidele Boluwaji:
Nigeria Football Federation’s first vice chairman, Bar. Seyi Akinwunmi has told Complete Sports that the National U-23 Eagles must work hard to ensure they win the return leg match of the 2016 Olympic Games qualifier against Congo in Point Noire in less than two weeks’ time.
Reacting to the first leg match played in Port Harcourt at the weekend which saw the Nigerians led by Coach Samson Siasia winning with a slim 2-1 result, said the players need to work harder ahead of the second leg while calling on the coaches to plan very well for the away game.
“Well, we have seen the result, it was fair but our boys need to work really hard to make sure they win the return leg match or at worst play a goalless draw there. I believe we can make it happen but it requires hard work and that is why we are calling on both the players and the coaches to see the away match as very crucial and one they must win,” he said.
Akinwunmi however reassured that the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF will continue to give the team all the support it needs to qualify for the main qualifier scheduled to hold in Senegal later in the year.
“We have always given the team our support and we will still continue doing more for them to qualify for the Olympics,” he added.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/akinwunmi-siasias-eagles-must-work-hard/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:37pm On Jul 23, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
5 Matches That Show U-23 Eagles Can Upstage Congo
[/size]

The Nigeria U-23 team will be taking a slim 2-1 advantage to Congo in the return leg of their U-23 African Championship qualifier.
Prior to Sunday’s game against Congo, the expectations from football fans was that the game would end in a high scoring margin in favour of Nigeria.
However, the outcome has left only few people with the belief that the Samson Siasia-led side can still pull it off in the return leg.
But if there is one Nigerian team that have what it takes to make the impossible become possible, it is the U-23 Eagles. This is a team that have been involved in make or mar encounters in the past, and have come out unscathed.
And as the team looks ahead to the crucial return leg in Pointe Noire, comple tesportsnigeria.com’s JAMES AGBEREBI recalls five matches in which Nigeria overcame the odds. He feels this is why the U-23 Eagles stand a chance of upstaging Congo.
KENYA 0-3 NIGERIA: MUMBASA, KENYA (1996 ATLANTA OLYMPIC QUALIFIER)
In 1995, the U-23 Eagles, mostly home-based players, took on Kenya in the first leg first round tie of the qualifiers for the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games. Surprisingly, the Kenyans held Nigeria to a 0-0 draw inside the National Stadium, Lagos. In a bid to avoid the embarassment of being knocked out by less fancied Kenya, a legion of overseas-based players that had the likes of Nwankwo Kanu (Ajax) and Austin Okocha (Eintracht Frankfurt), were invited for the return leg dubbed Battle of Mombasa. The Nigerians, nicknamed Dream Team because of the array of stars, thrashed their hosts 3-0, to advance to the second round.
EGYPT 1-1 NIGERIA: CAIRO, EGYPT (1996 ATLANTA OLYMPIC QUALIFIER)
After avoiding the shock of going out in the qualifiers to Kenya, the U-23 Eagles faced much tougher opponents in the Junior Pharoahs of Egypt in the second round. The first leg was played inside a packed National Stadium in Lagos. The duo of Nwankwo Kanu (brace) and Kingsley Obiekwu, were on target for the U-23 Eagles, but the Egyptians scored two goals to end the game 3-2, making the return leg in Cairo a dicey affair.
In the return leg, the likes of Taribo West, Victor Ikpeba and Sunday Oliseh, were invited to beef up the team, but it was the Egyptians that shot into the lead early in the game. But towards the end of the first half, Ikpeba drew Nigeria level with a ferocious shot from outside the 18-yard box to bring scores to 1-1. The team held on to advance 4-3 on aggregate. And in the final round of the qualifiers, they edged out Zimbabwe 2-0 on aggregate and joined Tunisia and Ghana as Africa’s representatives at the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games which they eventually won.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/5-matches-that-show-u-23-eagles-can-upstage-congo/
.....continue in the next post

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:45pm On Jul 23, 2015
.....continue from the last post
[b][size=14pt]
5 Matches That Show U-23 Eagles Can Upstage Congo
[/size]
GHANA 0-0 NIGERIA: ACCRA, GHANA (2008 BEIJING OLYMPIC QUALIFIER)
Under Samson Siasia, the U-23 Eagles met the Black Meteors of Ghana in the qualifiers for the 2007 All Africa Games in Algiers, but were knocked out on the away goals rule, (they played 0-0 in Accra and 1-1 in Abuja). Both teams found themselves in the same group along with South Africa and Ethiopia in the qualifiers for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games (Ethiopia later withdrew, leaving Nigeria, Ghana and South Africa in the group). The U-23 Eagles beat Ghana 3-2 in their first group game in Abuja. In the reverse fixture, Ghana who were ahead of the U-23 Eagles by two points, needed an outright win to seal qualification for the Olympics. But the U-23 Eagles, who had the likes of Ambrose Vanzekin, Sani Keita, Efe Ambrose, Chinedu Obasi and Obinna Nsosfor, put up a dogged performance and held Ghana to a 0-0 draw. And in their last group game, they confirmed qualification for the Olympics after beating South Africa 3-0 in Abuja.
NIGERIA 4-0 ZIMBABWE: LAGOS, NIGERIA (2000 SYDNEY OLYMPIC QUALIFIER)
This was one of the most dramatic games the U-23 Eagles have ever played in the Olympic qualifiers. The U-23 Eagles were in Group One with Angola, Uganda and Zimbabwe (Zimbabwe were coached by former Super Eagles coach Clemens Westerhof). Going into the last game of the group, the U-23 Eagles under Bonfrere Jo, needed to score four goals against Zimbabwe to overtake Angola who were ahead of the Eagles on three points and also on goals difference.
And after frustrating the Eagles for large part of the first half, the Zimbabweans’ resolve was finally broken following two quick goals from Emmanuel Ebiede. A chance to make it 3-0 was fluffed by Ebiede who missed a penalty.
With the game sliping away, the duo of Yakubu Aiyegbeni and Pius Ikedia sent the crowd into a frenzy with two late goals to complete the task and qualify for the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games.
ZAMBIA 1-1 NIGERIA: LUSAKA (2015 ALL AFRICA GAMES QUALIFIER)
Since last appearing at the All Africa Games in Abuja 2003, the U-23 Eagles made a return after qualifying for the 2015 edition in Brazzaville, Congo. The team failed to appear in Algiers 2007 and Mozambique 2011, after losing out to Ghana on both occasions. They had to do it the hard way thanks to a 2-1 win against Zambia in Lusaka after the first leg ended goalless. A brace from Taiwo Awoniyi secured qualification for Samson Siasia’s side.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/5-matches-that-show-u-23-eagles-can-upstage-congo/

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 5:40pm On Jul 23, 2015
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
Sampdoria’s Amuzie Confident Nigeria’ll Qualify For CAF U23 Tourney
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Sampdoria teenage defender Stanley Amuzie believes the Nigeria’s Olympic Team will qualify for the CAF U23 Championship despite holding a slim 2-1 advantage going into the second leg against Congo.
Amuzie was one of the standout performers for the Dream Team in Sunday’s win and he is banking on the team’s unbeaten run away from home to advance to the group stages of the competition.
The Olympic team are yet to lose a competitive game away from home under Samson Siasia.
They defeated Gabon 4-0 in Libreville and Zambia 2-0 in Lusaka, and Amuzie believes they can be third time lucky.
“They (Congo) were lucky to have conceded only two goals in Port Harcourt,”Amuzie began in a chat with Comple tesportsnigeria.com.
“We just have to work on our lapses and hope we take our chances in the second leg,” he concluded.
The return game is billed for Dolisie on the weekend of 31 July to 2 August, with the winners set to join hosts Senegal in the eight-team tournament
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/sampdorias-amuzie-confident-nigeriall-qualify-for-caf-u23-tourney/
i though this guy was an home based player

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 6:00pm On Jul 23, 2015
Icon4s:
Was Junior Ajayi part of the squad that beat Zambia 2-1 in Lusaka?

Me see him as more adventurous and more imposing than Taiwo Awoniyi.
yes he was in the team that defeat both gabon and zambia

he is the u-23 team leading goal scorer
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:14pm On Jul 23, 2015
Kingsley Sokari

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:15pm On Jul 23, 2015
enomakos:
i though this guy was an home based player

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 6:36pm On Jul 23, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Germany Under 20 Star Rejects Nigeria[/size]

Hoffenheim defender, Kevin Akpoguma, will reject an invitation to play for Nigeria's youth teams as he is an integral member of Germany's Under 20 squad.

Akpoguma, whose mother is German, has been given a chance to display his wares to coach Samson Siasia at the Under 23 national team screening exercise.

The Nigeria Football Federation are doing the groundwork to convince the defender to turn out for Nigeria instead of Germany, and Germany - based Darlington Omodiagbe, a member of the Technical Study Group, has been pressurizing the player.

The retired Nigeria Under 23 international, now a youth team coach at SV Wacker Burghausen, did not bring good news in that regard when he contacted SL10.ng on Tuesday afternoon.

''I have talked to Kevin Akpoguma, we still have work to do to convince him to play for Nigeria,'' Darlington Omodiagbe said to SL10.ng.

''It is not going to be easy, he plays for Germany's Under 20 team. I'll suggest that we offer him something bigger.

''Everything is possible but it won't be easy. His father is from Delta State but grew up in Benin City.''

Though Omodiagbe refused to go straight to the point, it is believed that Kevin Akpoguma will only consider an invitation to play for Nigeria's main squad, the Super Eagles.

The ex Karlsruher SC and FC Bavaria Wörth youth-teamer has clocked up over 40 appearances for Germany's youth teams since his debut in 2011.[/b]
remember this guy?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 10:46pm On Jul 23, 2015
terzurum5:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
ok thanks

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:40am On Jul 24, 2015
enomakos:
remember this guy?
The guy was solid in the defence of the Germans during the FIFA U20 World Cup. HE DID EVERY THING POSSIBLE TO FRUSTRATE OUR STRIKERS. Sunday Oliseh should just invite this guy to the Super Eagles before we loose him to Germany.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:44am On Jul 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Esperance Plan For $400,000 Sokari
[/size]
Sokari will cost Esperance $400,000
AfricanFootball.com has scooped that Tunisian club are ready to pay $400,000 for Nigeria international midfielder Kingsley Sokari.
This is about twice what the club paid to the Lagos academy of Flying Eagles forward Bernard Bulbwa.
The 20-year-old Sokari is expected to return to Tunis this week after Enyimba officials said they have reached “an understanding” with the Tunisian club over the signing of the player.
Esperance are yet to register Sokari, who has been capped at U20, U23 and full international levels by Nigeria, as they are yet to pay the agreed sum after they failed to meet several deadlines for this payment.
The Tunisian club are also behind in their payments to Dolphins over the sale of Nigeria striker Emem Eduok.
“They have only paid half of what they agreed to pay for Emem,” a source informed AfricanFootball.com
There are also unconfirmed reports that they have paid the academy of Bulbwa for the player’s recent switch.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/554154/Esperance-to-pay-400000-for-Sokari

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:49am On Jul 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Congo Will Be Hostile – Siasia
[/size]

Under-23 national team coach, Samson Yebowei Siasia has admitted that he and his players are in for a tough time during next month’s second leg of their African U-23 Championship qualifier away to Congo Republic, and admits they could be in for a very hostile reception from the hosts.
Speaking to SportsDay about his plans for the return leg in Point Noire on August 2, Sia1 admitted that his side will have to step up their game and pull the chest nut out of the fire, after managing only a 2-1 win during the first fixture this past Sunday in Port Harcourt.
Though the former Flying Eagles and Super Eagles coach says his side have to win away to reach the African championship, which serves as the continent’s Olympic qualification, he acknowledges that the return leg will be tough.
He stressed that he believes they will get the desired win and qualify, but says the only problem he has is the finishing of his strikers which he said he is seriously working on, and
After emerging from his summons before the technical committee of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to see how smooth the second leg goes, Siasia said he is not in any form of pressure or fear.
He promised to bring in one or two players to beef up the squad in the return leg but won’t be mentioning names for now except for Shehu Abdulahi who was mentioned that will come in to help in the right back.
“We have to go there and try to win. When we score a goal then they have to look for two goals. But my boys have to score goals, and not messing around.
“We have to prepare going to Congo, because we know it is going to be hostile there. We are going to deliver and win. We are working very hard for that, all our trainings are about good finishing in front of goal.
“NFF have being supportive and our first leg in Port Harcourt was superb, governor Wike gave us 100% hospitality and we are grateful for that,” Siasia concluded.
[/b]

sportsdayonline.com/congo-will-be-hostile-siasia/
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:06am On Jul 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Eagles Need U-23 Players – Okpara
[/size]

Ex-Super Eagles goalkeeper, Willy Okpara has called for a gradual promotion of some members of the National U-23 team to the Super Eagles.
Okpara, who is the Team Manager of Orlando Pirates FC told SportsDay that it would have been a good kick off for the new Super Eagles Coach Sunday Oliseh if he had been In Port Harcourt to access the new young under 23 players.
According to Okpara “The present U-23 team players are good. They really impressed me during their game against Congo. I will suggest that the core of the U-23 team be sent to the Super Eagles,” he said
“The selected U-23 players should join the younger players in the Eagles and we will have a formidable National team,’’ he said.
Apart from the under 23, he also suggested that the present National U-17 team should be promoted to the U-20 while the U-20 team moves up to become the new U-23 team.
“I believe that with this process, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) will not lack players to constitute the National teams. Nigeria is blessed with abundant stars, ready to do the nation proud,’’ he said.
“I am happy NFF has wonderful handers to manage the national teams and to the best of my knowledge they are all doing well in their perceptive teams, I give them kudos,”
He said that this could forestall the frequent disbanding of the national teams, only to start rebuilding with brand new players.
Speaking on Sunday Oliseh’s appointment Okpara said that his appointment as Eagles’ head coach was a step in the right direction.
“He is the best so far. Sunny does not take nonsense from anybody and he is the best for the nation. I appeal to the NFF to give him the free hand to work and he will deliver,’’ he said.
[/b]

sportsdayonline.com/eagles-need-u-23-players-okpara/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:30am On Jul 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Why I benched Awoniyi - Siasia
[/size]

Taiwo Awoniyi
Nigeria U23 coach Samson Siasia has given reasons why he did not start striker Taiwo Awoniyi in Sunday’s CAF U23 Championship qualifier against Congo.
Awoniyi was the star of the show when his brace eliminated hosts Zambia in a 2015 All Africa Games qualifier in Lusaka in April.
However, Siasia picked Junior Ajayi ahead of Awoniyi against Congo in Port Harcourt and only introduced the U20 international 15 minutes to the end of the match.
The coach said Awoniyi suffered a training ground injury on the eve of the match and there is also a better understanding between Junior Ajayi and support striker Etebo Oghenekaro.
“Awoniyi was a little bit injured before the game and also there is a better chemistry between Junior and Oghenekaro as they have been together for some time now,” Siasia explained.
Nigeria will be away to Congo in Pointe-Noire on August 2 to determine the team to qualify for the CAF U23 Championship in Senegal, which will serve as qualifying tournament for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
“We expect a very hostile environment in Congo,” he said.
[/b]

africanfootball.com//news/554171/Why-I-benched-Awoniyi-Siasia
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:33am On Jul 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Manager hails Super Eagles star, Imoh’s move to Belgian side
[/size]

Single-cap Nigerian forward, Imoh Ezekiel, was unveiled as an Anderlecht player on Wednesday.
His manager, Gafar Liameed, described the move as good for the player and for Nigeria.
Anderlecht sold Aleksandar Mitrovic to Newcastle for about 18 million Euro but moved swiftly in the transfer window to bring in a replacement in the Nigerian.
Ezekiel has played in Belgium since 2012, except for a six-month spell with Qatari club, Al Arabi in 2014.
Liameed told PREMIUM TIMES that his ward made the right decision in the end as two Russian sides, Locomotiv Moscow, and Dinamo Moscow, offered more money for the striker.
“It is a good move for Imoh and Nigeria in the end,” Liameed said. “My Belgian partner, Michele Saggase, and I advised him that it was better for his career to continue in Belgium – a place he is already familiar with and where he is already a relative success.”
Imoh played 93 league games for Standard Liege, including half of last season and scored 35 goals – helping them to the league title in the 2013/14 season.
Liameed also explained that Imoh is on loan from Al Arabi, who still owns his contract.
“I went to Qatar like thrice to see him playing for Al Arabi, and even though the league is thriving, it is not on the same level with that of Belgium,” Liammed said. “So we advised him that at his age and for his career, he needed to come back to mainland Europe.
“He heeded that advise and that is why he spent the second half of last season with Standard, who wanted him to extend the loan deal but were not able to match Anderlecht’s offer.”
The 21-year old is also expected to be part of the Samson Siasia-led U-23 national team. He told his new club’s website that he joined to win titles.
“I am very happy to be here and I’m glad that I’ve been offered a chance to play for the best club in the country,” he said. “If you play for the best club that means you want to win a prize.
“I hope we can do that this season and that we can qualify for the Champions League. I hope to help with that by scoring a lot of goals.”
[/b]

www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/football/187150-manager-hails-super-eagles-star-imohs-move-to-belgian-side.html

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:37am On Jul 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Rio Olympics: NFF Optimistic Of Falcons, U-23 Qualification
[/size]
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) is optimistic that the Super Falcons and the U-23 team will qualify for the Rio Olympics.
Consequently, the federation has promised to give all necessary assistance towards ensuring the success of these teams in their qualifiers.
This assurance was given on Wednesday by the NFF Head of Technical committee, Felix Anyansi-Agwu, during a crisis meeting he held with the coaches of both teams.
The meeting was necessitated by the unimpressive performances of both teams in the first leg of their qualifiers at the weekend.
While Falcons was held to a 1-1 in Abuja, U-23 managed a slim 2-1 victory over Congo U-23 team in Port Harcourt.
After the meeting, Anyansi-Agwu said that the two teams would make progress in their different qualification races on the premise of his deliberation with the coaches.
“We had very useful deliberations and I can tell you that both Coaches are very confident. They are not under –rating the opposition; just that they believe in their teams to make progress despite expected tough games away from home.
“From the discussions, we were able to decipher the level of support that the two teams will need to succeed. We also have immense experience of the kind of reception that the two countries offer to visiting teams, which is not flattering. We will give the tickets our very best shot.”
The Falcons will play Equatorial Guinea in Bata on Sunday, August 2. Nigeria and Equatorial Guinea are the only countries to have won the biennial African Women Championship since it was launched 17 years ago, with the Falcons winning seven times.
As for the U-23 boys, Pointe Noire is usually a very unfriendly terrain for visitors.
“We are aware of what odds will be set against us by the home team when we go to Congo. There are no illusions. But we are up to the task. We are going there strictly for the business of 90 minutes, and that is what will matter.
“Without being immodest, I like to say that I have been in this situation several times with various National Teams. I have always come out victorious. Of course, we will need the maximum support of the NFF to succeed,” Siasia said.
Siasia’s team qualified for the 11th All-Africa Games despite drawing 0-0 with Zambia in Abuja. A 2-1 win in Lusaka sent the team to Brazzaville.
On his part, Falcons’ Head Coach Chris Danjuma assured that his girls will play the match of their lives against the bitter rivals in Bata on August 2.
“We did not go to the last Olympic Games. We will throw everything into the second leg in Equatorial Guinea and then look forward to the final qualifying round.
“We will throw everything into the second leg in Equatorial Guinea to guarantee decent result and then look forward to the final qualifying round.
“The task is quite daunting but not insurmountable, we will prepare well and steel ourselves for whatever banter the Equatorial Guineans will throw at us,” said the former Plateau United coach to supersport.com.
[/b]

dailyindependentnig.com/2015/07/rio-olympics-nff-optimistic-falcons-u-23-qualification/
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:39am On Jul 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Sokari pulls out of Esperance deal
By: Sammy Wejinya
[/size]
The widely-reported deal between six-time Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) club, Enyimba and Esperance on Kingsley Sokari may have hit the rocks, supersport.com can exclusively reveal.
This was after the 20-year-old explained on Thursday that he will be returning to Enyimba in the coming days.
It was reported that a deal had been struck between both clubs for Sokari’s services and a figure of $400,000 was mentioned.
“I don’t think I will be going back to Tunis to join Esperance because they have not fulfilled their part of the deal as regards payment,” Sokari told supersport.com.
He added that he would be re-joining the under-23s ahead of the next month’s Olympic qualifier Congo before making a decision on his future.
“At this moment, I am focussed on the under-23 side and our upcoming game against Congo.
“I felt bad missing the first leg in Port Harcourt. I missed out because I came to camp late as I had to go to Tunisia over the Esperance deal.
“The coach was not happy I returned late but has now said I can join the team for the second leg.
“I will talk about my next move after the game against Congo.
“When I am back from Congo, I will return to Enyimba,” he said.
When contacted, Enyimba’s media chief, Farriel Allaputa said the club would make an official statement about the issue in the coming days.
“We will not be speaking to the media at this point. As soon as the time is right, we will do just that,” he said.
[/b]

mobi.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/150723/Sokari_pulls_out_of_Esperance_deal
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Xlad(m): 12:31pm On Jul 24, 2015
anyone watching RM vs ManCity?

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.