Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,992 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools (52388 Views)

Five Things About Students Who Attend Public Schools. / Public Schools Back In Those Days (Your Experiences) / Privatize Public Schools And Distribute Their Shares To The Masses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by LordReed(m): 10:43am On Oct 18, 2014
ibnhasan:

A uniform is not such a sacred element of education that it can't be changed to accommodate people who, due to religious obligation, need to dress a little differently.

With appropriate regulation, girls can wear Hijab without breaking the "uniformity" of school uniforms.

A Court decision that says shuts out a particular group of people from schools because of a harmless form of dressing is INTOLERANT not SENSIBLE.

Same way by regulation I should be allowed to post in any section on Nairaland without having to confess to being of a particular religious persuasion.

BTW the court decision does not stop anyone from attending school so your conclusion is false.

2 Likes

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by jojotemitopaz(m): 10:46am On Oct 18, 2014
millionaireman:

Anybody can wear hijab, but not where it is unsuitable. Even in Christianity, there are many regulations which most Christians no longer observe or take serious.

Laws, be they religious, or common, are meant for mankind; but mankind is not made for laws. In other words, mankind must at every stage abandon any laws that are no longer in tune with the time.

If, as is obvious, the use of Hijab or Burqa restrains a female's vision in today's fast-moving world with fast moving objects like vehicles, trains, motorcycles, and bicycles,etc., why must a female be constrained to wear those hijab and burqas that constrain her vision? These days, some Westerners even taunt Muslims with the saying that "Muslims Bag their Females."
if u choose to disobey mans law ur punishment would come from man...covering of the hair and other body parts is an instructiom from God. Muslims who sincerely believe in this understand the importance of disobeying that instruction. It would be wrong to force them not to obey wat they believe are are willing to uphold...no mattee how fast moving or how slow anything is when u believe theres life after death ud want to protect ur salvation soo if one man made law wants to interfere with Gods instruction den those who believe would reject it. Pls be objective on your reasoning. Wearing it isnt mandatory on anyone, I dont see how it affects others so why ban it

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by NifemiOlu(m): 10:47am On Oct 18, 2014
If I want my child to know the 10 commandments, Psalm 23 etc, I will send him to ECWA secondary school, Adventist college, C & S college etc. If I want my daughter to wear hijab as provided for in my religion, I will take her to Ansarul-Islam secondary school, Barakat girls Secondary school etc.

But if I decide to send my child to Government secondary school, Obalende Boys school, *FGC etc, then, am I wise to expect them to display their religion in school where there are other religions? Am I wise to expect them to deviate from the concept of uniform? In Kwara state now, muslims are calling for building of mosques inside missionary schools because their children need to pray. Now, several churches are now calling for return of their schools back to them. Imagine a mosque inside an ECWA secondary school (or will muslims allow a church inside Ansarul-Islam secondary school? See, religion must be left out of schools. If you're not comfortable, adopt Islamic education. Western education isn't by force. There are several religious schools (even govt owned) where you can practise the tenets of your religion to the fullest. At least, no form of education is superior to the other.

4 Likes

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by ibnhasan: 10:47am On Oct 18, 2014
You see, the roots of all discriminations are IGNORANCE & FEAR!

voltron:

prayer breaks 5 times in a school day?

1. There would never be need for prayer breaks as no Prayer falls between regular school hours 8am - 2pm

voltron:

Female teachers for female students?

2. Even in Islamic Schools Male teachers teach both male and female students and vice versa.

voltron:

Clerics to come in to teach Muslim kids, isolation and non-interaction with "infidels".

3. Muslims who go to school expect to learn about the world not religion. A school is never the best place learn about Islam, anyway.

4. And contrary to what you might believe, interacting with Non-muslims is not a problem for Muslims.

voltron:

Why not simply invest in more Muslim only institutions if you want pure Islamic values adhered to there.

5. If all Muslims went to such Muslim-Only schools and Christians to christian-only schools we would have a divided society which would be constantly at war with itself. The only way forward is to strive for understanding which leads to mutual respect and tolerance.

3 Likes

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by ibnhasan: 10:51am On Oct 18, 2014
LordReed:

Same way by regulation I should be allowed to post in any section on Nairaland without having to confess to being of a particular religious persuasion.

BTW the court decision does not stop anyone from attending school so your conclusion is false.

Effectively it does. A conscious Muslim girl won't go out with her hair uncovered. When you ban hijab in schools she can't go.

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Pecca: 10:56am On Oct 18, 2014
I JUST WAN TALK, THOUGH I GAT MY MIND MADE UP...! WATS TRENDING, pls?
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by ibnhasan: 10:59am On Oct 18, 2014
isick:

pls, answer these question honestly.if my daddy(babalawo,for instance) tells me after wearing my school uniform, i must wear there babalawo attire on it to school,so has obey their gods or start wearing my choir garment to school as my symbol of obedience to God. wont u say dis awkard?

These are not real life scenarios, buddy. In fact Babalawo attires have the potential to cause harm which is not the case with the Hijab.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by isick(m): 11:08am On Oct 18, 2014
ibnhasan:

These are not real life scenarios, buddy. In fact Babalawo attires have the potential to cause harm which is not the case with the Hijab.
which potential harm will it cause? okay, imagine if they were real life scenarios, how will school look like?
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by BekeeBuAgbara: 11:11am On Oct 18, 2014
willibounce1:

Just wondering how old you are. All your points sounds very childish and out of point.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Habidab: 11:12am On Oct 18, 2014
ibnhasan:
Why the Hijab ban is flawed

1. Muslims pay tax and have the right to attend public institutions. The Public institutions should therefore not be set up in such a way to preclude Muslims from attending. People made the rules, and people can change them.

2. Christians really have no obligation to wear white garments beyond the church and neither do the traditional worshipers have any religious clothes. So allowing Hijabs will NOT translate to chaos. I know many christian boys who wear rosaries all the time and no one has ever challenged that.

3. We should also stop the lie that there is no religion in public schools. The fact that students pray on assembly everyday and that religious studies are still taught negates this.

4. Nigeria is secular on paper only. Its the reason why religious leaders still have so much influence in our politics a la Oristejafor and Northern Emirs;the reason why we pray in every government function and even sponsor people on religious pilgrimages with taxpayers money. Countries that are truly secular don't do these.

5. By banning Hijab in public schools its easy to see how the ban may soon include all public places in the name of secularism; government offices including the House of Reps and Senate are also public spaces which should be devoid of all religious symbols.

6. Must it to get to that before we see how a Hijab ban erodes the fundamental human rights of Muslims?

7. By criminalizing Hijab in schools, what lesson are we passing across to young ones about tolerance and mutual respect?

8. Yet Hijab harms no one. Those who oppose it do so only because they don't like it.
where have you been man with this good point

4 Likes

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by MrNiceGuy5: 11:13am On Oct 18, 2014
Freelancer00:
U know about Mosques so well. Have u ever been in one. Same reason a Yoruba man won't be allowed to pray for them in the North, same reason the Hausa man won't be allowed to pray in the south
Oga, That one na lie , Hausa will pray in any southern mosque but yoruba can't even start the prayer in hausa mosq
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 11:16am On Oct 18, 2014
ibnhasan:

In case you didn't know, USA is far more secular and advanced than we are yet Muslim children freely wear hijab to school WITH AND WITHOUT UNIFORM.
Not in public school. It used to be in Europe but it's quickly banned after seeing how Muslim extremists could possibly use it to commit more evils.

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by BekeeBuAgbara: 11:19am On Oct 18, 2014
willibounce1:

Madam, if public schools are funded with tax payers moneys, are Muslims the only people paying tax? Ur daughters can wear hijab to anywhere they like except a school, a public school, because it is mixed. There is a uniform and the hijab is not part of it. They can wear the hijab when going home or on their way to school. But the moment you step ur feet on the school compound, u take off the hijab. If we should be free to exercise our religions just the way we like, then a son of an Ifa priest can wear a rope with a vulture's skull as pendant to school. I'm sureness u'll like that. No hijab in PUBLIC schools. Simple as ABC
grin grin grin
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Freelancer00(m): 11:20am On Oct 18, 2014
MrNiceGuy5:

Oga, That one na lie , Hausa will pray in any southern mosque but yoruba can't even start the prayer in hausa mosq
Which mosque make I show there?
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Datsme: 11:32am On Oct 18, 2014
Alenkakent:
Na wa o... I think its high tym muslims started springing up more schools from nursery to university where the muslim students can fully follow the teachings of the prophet...
I don't blame govts for banning hijab.. We all know who pioneered most of govt schools... Aint they christain missionaries?

U cn talk of saint James, saint peter not ansar u deen, nawar u deen and d rest
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by MrNiceGuy5: 11:35am On Oct 18, 2014
BetaThings:

My point exactly
You and he cannot explain Islam to me
We spend time learning this stuff
and Non-muslims will just throw random stuff at me and "explain" Islam to me!!!
I went to a public secondary school where I had to learn CRK
But I still don't debate christian theology with Christians

I am not copying Arabs. I am practising Islam
I have confronted an Arab before on Islamic matters
As an aside if you hate African Muslims, why should I not love and copy Arabs?
Anyway the matter of Hijab is explained in the hadeeth of Aisha (RA)

As for hating, it is your choice
But you owe yourself a duty as an educated person to truly understand what you hate
BTW has it occurred to you that declaring proudly that you hate a religion is a problem in its own right?
You chose to study CRK when you were in school because you had a choice . You can either study CRK / IRK or you study nothing
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by lyvin: 11:38am On Oct 18, 2014
Hmm Poor man mentality fighting over nothing. I know some moslems sending their kids to big school ( even to christian skols) like Loyola Jesuit, Corona etc. Their aim is to give d best to their kids not this hijab holabalu. But poorman intead of fighting higher quality of education is fighting for mundane things.

3 Likes

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by AlPicapcI(m): 11:38am On Oct 18, 2014
isick:

den stay at home

Simple.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by lyvin: 11:42am On Oct 18, 2014
Hmm Poor man mentality fighting over nothing. I know some elite moslems sending their kids to big school (even to christian skols) like Loyola Jesuit, Corona etc. Their aim is to give d best to their kids not this hijab holabalu. But poorman instead of fighting higher quality of education 4 d kids is fighting for mundane things.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Janyves(m): 11:45am On Oct 18, 2014
I'm not surprised @ the length of this thread...before christianity and islam, africa existed. Until terrorists and their sponsors stop hiding behind islam/sharia and openly declare their intentions of using violence over peace to preach their religion. And churches around the world unite and become one. Traditional beliefs still remain the purest. As for supremacy between christianity and islam, the worst is yet to come. Chauvinism will be the order of the day until the creator intervenes.

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Originalsly: 11:52am On Oct 18, 2014
all4naija:
Not in public school. It used to be in Europe but it's quickly banned after seeing how Muslim extremists could possibly use it to commit more evils.
Muslim public school children in the US do wear hijab in school if they choose to.

2 Likes

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by MrNiceGuy5: 11:58am On Oct 18, 2014
kraftykc:

Those bloody missionaries, bringing education, health services and general enlightenment and whatnot to Nigeria.

Blood suckers every last one of them.
What has the muslim missionaries brought to nigeria or africa if we have such in islam ?

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 12:00pm On Oct 18, 2014
Originalsly:
Muslim public school children in the US do wear hijab in school if they choose to.
Which state is that happening?
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by idris4r83(m): 12:02pm On Oct 18, 2014
abya:

See how sensibe you are. Na GEJ ban hijab in Lagos? Is fashola not a muslim?if they vote out GEJ then ur papa go enter na.
another fool in the house who doesn't have respect for his parents and thought other people are likewise. who even dash u fone sef? even from your post I know your type. u dont even deserve my attention you son of a bitch. ewu
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by blackprowler: 12:02pm On Oct 18, 2014
Contrary to what Nigerians think, there are some people in better climes born into the Islamic religion who have become grown up and enlightened enough to realise they would not allow themselves to be under perpetual blackmail by the religion to which they were born. They hence declared themselves cultural muslims, agnostics, atheists, humanists etc just like the christian equivalents in which category I fall. However, they get it worse than people like me because some of them do get murdered, disowned or jailed.
If the Nigerian born to a muslim background feels it is his duty to always see as right anything his muslim people advance, then I have nothing to say to him. The world is under continuous pressure in the last one generation because the muslims are aggressively bullying the world instead of realising that their faith, just like christianity, is a fad from an ignorant age in human social evolution. The christians have been overcome by 1700; the muslim refuses and insists he must visit the same mindless violence on the world as the christians futily did. There's little difference in both religions, just that christians have adjusted to reality and realise those farcical injunctions do not have a place in the emerging modern world. The muslim has not. Maybe because christianity is over 600 years older than Islam. But the Christians didn't know any better when they proceeded with their folly. The muslim has all the benefit of hindsight but refuses to learn.
There's only one direction the human race is headed, and that's that one day, if we stay long enough as a species, there would be no more religion as man would have realised his folly. It may take 1000 years or more, but it will happen. All you need to do is look at the tragectory: find out how people though 500 years ago, 200 years ago and today. Were it not for American error in 1979 upward, the muslim had even advanced beyond where he is today. They have retrogressed on the path I'm talking about in the last one generation. I once watched a documentary where a huge crowd gathered to mourn the news of the sudden death of Gamal Abdel Nasser in Egypt. The video showed: not a single woman with any sign they were muslim. They were dressed like anyone else, mixed in the crowd with men. Today, after 44 years, go to the same Egypt and you will never believe there was such a time. They're all back to the primitive ancient days of Prophet Muhammed. I'm sorry I'm around at this point in history and in this country, or any country where muslims are holding back human progress. I pity cultural muslims who, like me in the case of christianity, do not support Islamic folly. There are some here, BUT THEY HIDE!

2 Likes

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by fsmedia: 12:10pm On Oct 18, 2014
Let the Christian Girls also use their scarfs and turbans.
I love Jesus!

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by LordReed(m): 12:14pm On Oct 18, 2014
ibnhasan:

Effectively it does. A conscious Muslim girl won't go out with her hair uncovered. When you ban hijab in schools she can't go.

Do female muslim students and pupils of Atlantic Hall or Corona or other "posh" schools wear hijab? Do female Muslim students of Queens college wear hijab?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by perfectbundle(f): 12:15pm On Oct 18, 2014
Go and sit down Mr man. If you really want to kill yourself over this issue of hijab, talk to your wealthy Muslim brothers to build Islamic schools and stop wasting money on terrorism.

Your female folks can wear hijab to Islamic schools ONLY. You don't have to look like a masquerade and smell like sh..t before you cover you body. It's common sense. Dress well and wear clothes that'll cover your body. I do not understand how a woman's hair or face has become a sensitive part that can be termed indecent or seductive, except you mean to tell me that your muslim brothers are moved by any part of a woman's body they see, even the nose or ears.

Please you all need to stop getting on ppl nerves. A lot of you guys have caused too many problems for the world already. [/quote]

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by ibnhasan: 12:27pm On Oct 18, 2014
all4naija:

On the American public schools, Google is your friend sir. And the ban of Hijab in MOST of Europe is not due its potential to be used by terrorist but mainly to maintain the European Identity and sundry issues.

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by ayinba1(f): 12:29pm On Oct 18, 2014
all4naija:
Yes in public schools in USA. Good lord! Why would someone just type complete falsehood?

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 18, 2014
ibnhasan:

On the American public schools, Google is your friend sir. And the ban of Hijab in MOST of Europe is not due its potential to be used by terrorist but mainly to maintain the European Identity and sundry issues.

Okay. I have never seen any Muslim girl wearing it in school even if it is not against the constitution of America. That is very simple to understand in this argument.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 18, 2014
ayinba1:

Yes in public schools in USA. Good lord! Why would someone just type complete falsehood?
Can you provide image of a student wearing it in a class in USA?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply)

Sexual Harrasment By Oshifala In Queen College: Old Girls Of Queen College Speak / Depressed Man Sets His Bsc And NYSC Certificates On Fire / What Course Is This Man Studying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.