Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,140 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

Okocha Annoying Hype - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okocha Annoying Hype (55247 Views)

Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club / John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? / Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by IyfeNamikaze(m): 3:13pm On Oct 19, 2014
otipoju:

No all I am saying is that Pele is not infallible. You cannot construct a logical argument based on a fallible source. Pele's prediction did not come true and his opinion on messi and neymar was loaded with the sentiment of patriot.

Respect to Pele,but rossike cannot build a solid argument based on his opinion. It crumbles once it can be shown that he did not get it right just once as in the case of his prediction concerning an African team winning the world cup by a certain period.

how would you rate Alan shearer? overhyped or underrated?
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Iceg(m): 3:15pm On Oct 19, 2014
Brianino:
...common shut dt ya dirty fangs...use ya outdated sense of reasoning pls..I HAVE A QUESTION 4 U..cud samuel eto'o play 4 bolton and win d african player of d year??ABSOLUTE NO..jst lyk benny mccarthy won two european cupz bt neva won d african best shws u hw playin 4 a bigger club matters..viz eto@r.madrid,barca,inter...yea..okocha preferred playin 4 a strugglin team 2 a bigteam cuz he believed in raisin d team frm mediocrity 2 d Elite and claim stardom..wich he did e.g bolton wer regular top6 contenders bt due 2 d lack of talent arnd him he suffered..shwin he wasnt dt wise..bt HONOURABLE IF THERES A PLAYER DT CAN DO MAGIC INSIDE A FOOTBALL PITCH ITS J.J.OKOCHA@GENIUS

4rm d way u started wit an insult,,didnt bother to read d rubbish witten by a lunatic..go argue wit ppl of ur kind....i argue wit ppl who approach politely....junkie

2 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by RealAlfranco: 3:17pm On Oct 19, 2014
I wanted to skip this topic because I was so sure it'll get me angry. I opened it and I wasn't disappointed... I got angry!
Jay Jay Okocha over-hyped? Who even thinks like this?
1. Can someone show me,with hard facts,top clubs that came after Okocha's signature and he shied away? Okocha was just unlucky. Despite his awesome talent,he was never given a look at. You'd think other 'great' players are better than him until you see him play against them. There you'll see the class difference oozing out of Okocha's play. Take Nigeria Vs Italy in '94-probably the guys calling Okocha over-rated never watched it or even a replay.
2. Never ever,everrrr say Okocha benched Ronaldinho,it never happened. Just as Giggs never benched Ronaldo at Man United. Okocha played as the number 10 at PSG,Ronaldinho skimmed from the wing(inverted left winger). Instead,the formed a deadly patnership together,its a shame they didn't win much together. Ronaldinho inherited Okocha's No10 jersey after he left for Bolton. Okocha mentored Ronaldinho and Mikel Arteta. Ronaldo slotted directly as Man nited's no7,because David Beckham left the club before Ronaldo came. Giggs and Ronaldo never crossed path. Thank You!
Abeg,I take God beg una. 'Mediocre' and 'Average' should not be used to measure Okocha as a player. The teams he played for(if una wan put Nigeria,you're on your own),yes,but not him! This niqqa was named as one of 125 living footballers of ALL TIME. That's no mean feat! Y'all should take a chill pill... In summary, Okocha is not,was not,and will never be overhyped.Niqqa was unlucky!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by amunites19(m): 3:18pm On Oct 19, 2014
Comparing Okocha and Kanu is like comparing Ronaldinho and Messi, Ronaldinho is very skillful and a complete dribbler while Messi is more of a team player, dribbling only when is necessary and always aiming toward a result, Ronaldinho is more entertaining while Messi brings results.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Kay17: 3:25pm On Oct 19, 2014
ROSSIKE:

PELE KNOWS 100,000 TIMES MORE THAN YOU ABOUT WHAT MAKES A GREAT FOOTBALLER. He played alongside the likes of Jairzinho, Rivelino, Tostao, and Carlos Alberto. These are some of the greatest talents to have ever graced the game. Pele considers Okocha among the world's top 125 living players. The Brazilian coach, Mario Zagallo, who played alongside Pele, Garrincha, Vava, and Didi, and is credited with popularizing the bicycle kick ''shangallo'' in his heyday, ran across the pitch to salute Jay Jay Okocha after their game against Nigeria in Abuja in 2003, (some reports said he knelt and wiped Okocha's boots), saying that Okocha must be a Brazilian not a Nigerian. Now, YOU are a little kld who has probably NEVER heard of Zagallo, but these are the creme de la creme of football we're talking about. Football royalty. DO YOU THINK OKOCHA WOULD NOT HAVE STARTED IN ZAGALLO'S SIDE HAD HE BEEN BRAZILIAN? 100% definitely. SO WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT? ZAGALLO CLEARLY WISHED HE HAD JAY JAY IN HIS SIDE. SO YES, JAY JAY WAS A GREAT PLAYER. HE WAS A MASSIVE PLAYER. JUST LIKE PELE, IF THE GREAT ZAGALLO SAYS YOU ARE A GREAT PLAYER, YOU ARE A GREAT PLAYER.

PROVE THAT JAY JAY ''shied away'' from the 'big clubs'. Do you even know how offers and transactions are made with regard to player transfers? Show us where Jay Jay was offered a deal by a major club and he refused or STFU.

The same Pele that said Neymar is a better player than Leo Messi.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by abatically(m): 3:28pm On Oct 19, 2014
lurdabdaniels:
Guys let me add to this Okocha sees football as business then fun too so he was not bothered about his carer that was why he went to Turkey when players are going to real,barca,manu,munich, arsenal and so on but he went to a free tax country just because of money.

Lol, very very funny. Abeg make I ask u, can a player go to barca, real Madrid or Manchester United on their own without the clubs showing interest and subsequently making a bid? Look at the way u put it as if those clubs made a move for Okocha but he chose to go to Turkey. Lets stop being too sentimental, if he was that good those clubs will break the bank to sign him.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Kay17: 3:31pm On Oct 19, 2014
RealAlfranco:
I wanted to skip this topic because I was so sure it'll get me angry. I opened it and I wasn't disappointed... I got angry!
Jay Jay Okocha over-hyped? Who even thinks like this?
1. Can someone show me,with hard facts,top clubs that came after Okocha's signature and he shied away? Okocha was just unlucky. Despite his awesome talent,he was never given a look at. You'd think other 'great' players are better than him until you see him play against them. There you'll see the class difference oozing out of Okocha's play. Take Nigeria Vs Italy in '94-probably the guys calling Okocha over-rated never watched it or even a replay.
2. Never ever,everrrr say Okocha benched Ronaldinho,it never happened. Just as Giggs never benched Ronaldo at Man United. Okocha played as the number 10 at PSG,Ronaldinho skimmed from the wing(inverted left winger). Instead,the formed a deadly patnership together,its a shame they didn't win much together. Ronaldinho inherited Okocha's No10 jersey after he left for Bolton. Okocha mentored Ronaldinho and Mikel Arteta. Ronaldo slotted directly as Man nited's no7,because David Beckham left the club before Ronaldo came. Giggs and Ronaldo never crossed path. Thank You!
Abeg,I take God beg una. 'Mediocre' and 'Average' should not be used to measure Okocha as a player. The teams he played for(if una wan put Nigeria,you're on your own),yes,but not him! This niqqa was named as one of 125 living footballers of ALL TIME. That's no mean feat! Y'all should take a chill pill... In summary, Okocha is not,was not,and will never be overhyped.Niqqa was unlucky!!!

Okocha was a central midfielder, not a 10 as Totti, Baggio, Maradona, Riquelme and should be judged as same. He should be compared with Scholes, Rijkaard, Essien, Yaya Toure, Viera in terms of both his attacking qualities and defensive qualities. I don't think he was really able to boss the midfield in the manner Yaya Toure does.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by otipoju(m): 3:38pm On Oct 19, 2014
ShakurM:
I like ya but hold up, Now the notion is changed..we ain't talking predictions , we talking facts. Assuming he does state that Ronaldo or Messi aren't great, then we all can and should question his thinking.

Imagine okocha doing his thing in a Madrid shirt.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 19, 2014
toecyne:
It is sometimes very annoying wen some people say Okocha is the best footballer ever, and that he is not recognized becos he is Nigerian.
Some even say he is better than Ronaldinho because he benched Ronaldinho wen dinho was only 20, and was yet to adapt to european football. Y not just say giggs is also better than C.Ronaldo because he benched him wen he was new in Man United or that Guily is better than Messi because he benched messi wen messi was still very young

Yaya toure is an african nd he is leading man city, Eto was Barcelona top striker for abt 4 years and a nigerian also played for barca in the 1990s, mikel(a nigerian) was nearly thorn apart by man u and chelsea, they wanted him badly.. my point is african/nigerian or not, you would be rewarded accordingly and sought after if you are that good. Okocha is jst over hyped
and your point is? undecided
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by victorix(m): 3:46pm On Oct 19, 2014
MrNiceGuy5:

You just spoke my mind - Oko was just unlucky but no doubt , he is one of african finest player of his time

yeah, assuming okocha came in dis new football era, he would have been appreciated and big clubs would be throwing blows for him
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by ichidodo: 3:49pm On Oct 19, 2014
Kay17:

Okocha was a central midfielder, not a 10 as Totti, Baggio, Maradona, Riquelme and should be judged as same. He should be compared with Scholes, Rijkaard, Essien, Yaya Toure, Viera in terms of both his attacking qualities and defensive qualities. I don't think he really able to boss the midfield in the manner Yaya Toure does.
A 10 can be an attacking midfielder who is given a trequartista role in d hole before the strikers or a central midfielder that sits deep conducting play as an anchor....In asmuch as his defensive stats didnt amount to much,Okocha's main forte was his flexibility either as a trequartista or an anchor just like totti and scholes rolled into one person, back in the day that was a quality or technical attribute very difficult to scout in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by sukkot: 3:53pm On Oct 19, 2014
okochas soccer skills is best suitable for the circus. he had circus skills. kinda like the harlem globetrotters. there is a guy who was in the NBA like okocha. Jayson williams. a beauty to watch but not needed when a team is contending for the highest honors

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by sarutobie(m): 3:57pm On Oct 19, 2014
sukkot:
okochas soccer skills is best suitable for the circus. he had circus skills. kinda like the harlem globetrotters. there is a guy who was in the NBA like okocha. Jayson williams. a beauty to watch but not needed when a team is contending for the highest honors
yet he captained Bolton to one of their highest finish (6th) in top flight English football?
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by ceejay80s(m): 4:02pm On Oct 19, 2014
toecyne:

Please list the personal and club achievement he has that people like Wilfred bony, Solomon kalou(ivory coast), Sessegnon of Benin have not surpassed. Drogba led chelsea to a champions league trophy, Eto scored in 2 uefa champions league finals and won three UCL, yaya toure controlled the flow of man city and led them to 2 premier league titles, all africans.Please who did okocha lead ?

iicc shooting stars & enugu rangers
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by seye15627(m): 4:06pm On Oct 19, 2014
Which one of these do u prefer to pay to watch play?

Eto, Okocha, Mikel, Essien, Yaya Toure
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by sukkot: 4:07pm On Oct 19, 2014
sarutobie:

yet he captained Bolton to one of their highest finish (6th) in top flight English football?
[b]yeah he was a big fish in a small pond. some people only thrive in situations like that. that nigga can hardly kick the ball straight. always yaming shots over the bar or all over the field but the goal post. i am sure these are reasons why big clubs did not go for him. there are two types of soccer players. those who when they are on the ball, they know what they want to do, are purposeful about going for what they are doing and actually achieve what they set out to do. these types of players when they are on the ball you know you are in trouble. example of this type is thierry henry and messi. then you have the other types who when they are on the ball, if they do anything purposeful with it, its called a ' hail mary ' attempt. they are not purposeful or know what they are trying to do. they just start firing shots all over the place anyhow hoping and praying one goes in. thats called ' hail mary '. that is jeje okocha. the king of hail marys . soccer recruits know the purposeful players and the hail marys and there is a reason the big clubs did not come for okocha. he is the grand daddy of hail marys[/b]
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 19, 2014
Even Mikel has surpassed all Nigerian ever footballers, he has lifted d following and he was pivotal....
African nations cup
UEFA champions league
UEFA europa league
English premiership
English FA cup
Carlings cup
European supercup and much more trophies....
NOTE:: I M NOT A CHELSEA OR MIKEL FAN, I M JUST STATING THE OBVIOUS.......
Well Kanu Nwankwo might still be berra.......
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by MrPresident1: 4:08pm On Oct 19, 2014
I think this is thread is very unfair to Jay Jay Okocha. Jay Jay was very good during his time and scored many crucial goals for his clubs and country. Jay Jay was our midfield and his presence was always dominating, he did his job well.

True he doesn't have so many of trophies to his name, but when the list of football greats will be mentioned anywhere in the world, Jay Jay will deserve his place.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by JiggamanGh: 4:13pm On Oct 19, 2014
justhelp:
Are you from Ghana or South Africa ?

As usual if one disagree with Nigerians . He must be from Ghana or South Africa.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by toluxa1(m): 4:13pm On Oct 19, 2014
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by MrPresident1: 4:14pm On Oct 19, 2014
sukkot:
[b]yeah he was a big fish in a small pond. some people only thrive in situations like that. that nigga can hardly kick the ball straight. always yaming shots over the bar or all over the field but the goal post. i am sure these are reasons why big clubs did not go for him. there are two types of soccer players. those who when they are on the ball, they know what they want to do, are purposeful about going for what they are doing and actually achieve what they set out to do. these types of players when they are on the ball you know you are in trouble. example of this type is thierry henry and messi. then you have the other types who when they are on the ball, if they do anything purposeful with it, its called a ' hail mary ' attempt. they are not purposeful or know what they are trying to do. they just start firing shots all over the place anyhow hoping and praying one goes in. thats called ' hail mary '. that is jeje okocha. the king of hail marys . soccer recruits know the purposeful players and the hail marys and there is a reason the big clubs did not come for okocha. he is the grand daddy of hail marys[/b]

Jay jay that rescued Nigeria from Cameroun in the Nations cup final of 2000 with his second half free kick goal (we lost the match on penalties), who also scored the winning goal against Cameroun in 2006 nations cup quarter-final, who single-handedly saved Bolton wanderers from relegation, na him U dey call king of hail marys abi?

Maybe U should check the goal he scored against Oliver Khan all over again!
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by abatically(m): 4:15pm On Oct 19, 2014
IyfeNamikaze:

how would you rate Alan shearer? overhyped or underrated?

Shearer was not overhyped, neither was he underrated. He was just shearer and his 34 goals helped Blackburn rovers win the premier league in 1995. Till date he is still the premier league all time top scorer. He helped Newcastle United and they came very close to winning the premier league. His records speak for himself, he was never overrated.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by RealAlfranco: 4:19pm On Oct 19, 2014
Kay17:

Okocha was a central midfielder, not a 10 as Totti, Baggio, Maradona, Riquelme and should be judged as same. He should be compared with Scholes, Rijkaard, Essien, Yaya Toure, Viera in terms of both his attacking qualities and defensive qualities. I don't think he was really able to boss the midfield in the manner Yaya Toure does.
[b]Before we go too far, scholes is a central midfielder( a playmaker if you like),Rijkaard and Viera are Defensive midfielders, tough ones for that matter. Yaya Toure only started playing AM/CM after he signed for Man City. During Okocha's PSG days + ronaldinho, they had Aloisio,Laurent Robert and later Anelka as their Strikers in a classic old school 4-4-2 formation... Ronaldinho came in from the left,Okocha da advanced central midfielder,playing as a number 10 and number 8 along side...erh? I don't remember da other midfielders name or face. But arteta and this albanian guy Lorik Cana where all rookies den...(I'm going to need google for dis sh+t)... And Totti,Baggio,Maradon played as supporting strikers,they played with,for Totti; Batistuta,Luca Toni et al along,Baggio had Vieri and the rest of 'em,maradona had same Batistuta at international level as well as some oda guys in his Napoli days(I don't know 'em and I don't even care).. Okocha isn't da Baggio,Totti type or da Rijkaard,viera type. But a bit of Paul Scholes with more attacking garment! *drops mic*[/b]
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by sukkot: 4:20pm On Oct 19, 2014
MrPresident1:

Jay jay that rescued Nigeria from Cameroun in the Nations cup final of 2000 with his second half free kick goal (we lost the match on penalties), who also scored the winning goal against Cameroun in 2006 nations cup quarter-final, who single-handedly saved Bolton wanderers from relegation, na him U dey call king of hail marys abi?

Maybe U should check the goal he scored against Oliver Khan all over again!
the sun shines on a dogs a-s-s once in a while you know grin
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by sukkot: 4:23pm On Oct 19, 2014
i think this will be a fair and accurate accolade for jayjay >> THE MOST EXCITING AND SKILLFULL PLAYER TO WATCH, TO EVER COME OUT OF AFRICA

notice i said the most exciting and not the most effective
wink CASE CLOSED

2 Likes

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by balladin: 4:24pm On Oct 19, 2014
toecyne:
It is sometimes very annoying wen some people say Okocha is the best footballer ever, and that he is not recognized becos he is Nigerian.
Some even say he is better than Ronaldinho because he benched Ronaldinho wen dinho was only 20, and was yet to adapt to european football. Y not just say giggs is also better than C.Ronaldo because he benched him wen he was new in Man United or that Guily is better than Messi because he benched messi wen messi was still very young

Yaya toure is an african nd he is leading man city, Eto was Barcelona top striker for abt 4 years and a nigerian also played for barca in the 1990s, mikel(a nigerian) was nearly thorn apart by man u and chelsea, they wanted him badly.. my point is african/nigerian or not, you would be rewarded accordingly and sought after if you are that good. Okocha is jst over hyped
Do you know what you're saying? Okocha is actually underrated.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by RealAlfranco: 4:25pm On Oct 19, 2014
ichidodo:
A 10 can be an attacking midfielder who is given a trequartista role in d hole before the strikers or a central midfielder that sits deep conducting play as an anchor....In asmuch as his defensive stats didnt amount to much,Okocha's main forte was his flexibility either as a trequartista or an anchor just like totti and scholes rolled into one person, back in the day that was a quality or technical attribute very difficult to scout in Africa.
A trequartista! thank you so much, Mi Compadré. The word kept eluding my mind!

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by MrPresident1: 4:29pm On Oct 19, 2014
sukkot:
i think this will be a fair and accurate accolade for jayjay >> THE MOST EXCITING AND SKILLFULL PLAYER TO WATCH, TO EVER COME OUT OF AFRICA

notice i said the most exciting and not the most effective
wink CASE CLOSED

Effectiveness is relative. Jay jay's job wasn't to score goals, his duty was to marshal the midfield, and provide critical supplies to the attackers, he did his job beautifully well. One of the best midfielders the world has ever known.

His job wasn't to score goals, but his goals were well needed grin
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by fhunn: 4:30pm On Oct 19, 2014
sukkot:
yeah he was a big fish in a small pond. some people only thrive in situations like that. that nigga can hardly kick the ball straight. always yaming shots over the bar or all over the field but the goal post. i am sure these are reasons why big clubs did not go for him. there are two types of soccer players. those who when they are on the ball, they know what they want to do, are purposeful about going for what they are doing and actually achieve what they set out to do. these types of players when they are on the ball you know you are in trouble. example of this type is thierry henry and messi. then you have the other types who when they are on the ball, if they do anything purposeful with it, its called a ' hail mary ' attempt. they are not purposeful or know what they are trying to do. they just start firing shots all over the place anyhow hoping and praying one goes in. thats called ' hail mary '. that is jeje okocha. the king of hail marys . soccer recruits know the purposeful players and the hail marys and there is a reason the big clubs did not come for okocha. he is the grand daddy of hail marys

e bia kwa! Okocha can't kick a ball straight ask him to play a free kick or penalty kick and you'll here the goal keeper muttering O tan!!!
Did you ever watch that match btw Nigeria and Cameroon which was a tie till the final minutes of the match where the freekick the referee awarded Nigeria made the difference to the extent the free kick was called a "THUNDERBOLT" by the commentators.

Who played the free kick?

Jay Jay Okocha.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by sukkot: 4:32pm On Oct 19, 2014
MrPresident1:

Effectiveness is relative. Jay jay's job wasn't to score goals, his duty was to marshal the midfield, and provide critical supplies to the attackers, he did his job beautifully well. One of the best midfielders the world has ever known.

His job wasn't to score goals, but his goals were well needed grin
that nigga was always yaming the ball over the goalpost though cheesy
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by free2ryhme: 4:32pm On Oct 19, 2014
toecyne:

Okocha was overaged and as a smart ibo guy he sharply resigned before it back fired in his face
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by sukkot: 4:34pm On Oct 19, 2014
fhunn:

e bia kwa! Okocha can't kick a ball straight ask him to play a free kick or penalty kick and you'll here the goal keeper muttering O tan!!!
Did you ever watch that match btw Nigeria and Cameroon which was a tie till the final minutes of the match where the freekick the referee awarded Nigeria made the difference to the extent the free kick was called a "THUNDERBOLT" by the commentators.

Who played the free kick?

Jay Jay Okocha.
i am not talking about set pieces. i am talking about when on the move. even my 99 year old megaurd can kick the ball into the net from penalty or free kick grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Sunday Oliseh To Emerge As Nigeria's New Coach - BBC Sport / Moses Ruled Out Of 2018 World Cup Over Injury / Victor Osimhen Mobbed By His Fans Making Him Visibly Angry (pics/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.