Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,845 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro (1250 Views)

Why I Won’t Resign As Senate President’ – Bukola Saraki / EFCC Arrests Abba Moro, Others Over 2014 Immigration / I Won’t Resign Even If I Don’t Defeat Boko Haram By December, Says Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by MisterLongman(m): 2:39pm On Oct 20, 2014
Premiumtimes:

Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t
Resign – Abba Moro

The Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, on Monday explained why he is yet to
leave office seven months after he masterminded a poorly organised
recruitment exercise that killed no fewer than 20 applicants in stampedes at
overcrowded venues across the country.
After the March 15 tragedy, several Nigerians demanded the resignation or
dismissal of Mr. Moro and the Comptroller-General of Immigration, David
Parradang, as well as their criminal prosecution for involuntary homicide.
The duo, with Mr. Moro more culpable, had put in place a sham recruitment
process that enabled the interior ministry to extort at least N520 million in
compulsory levy imposed on applicants.
The minister, who initially blamed impatience and refusal by applicants to
abide by instructions for the tragedy, has since accepted responsibility for the
incident.
He has however refused to step down.
But speaking on a Channels TV’s breakfast programme, Sunrise, on Monday,
Mr. Moro made it clear he would not resign, saying he would rather stay put
in office to clear the mess caused by the incidence.
“The point at which we are now is not about resignation. That time has gone,”
Mr. Morro said in response to a question over why he refused to quit despite
widespread calls by Nigerians on him to do so. “At the time (people were
calling for his resignation), I think emotions were very high. I was in the eye
of a storm.
“At that time, a lot of options were on the table… The issue is do you resign
or do you stay to sort out the problem that have been created?
“I decided that staying and mopping up the mess caused by the lack of proper
implementation of our plans is better. That’s the point we are now.”
The minister said Nigerians should consider the tragedy as an accident which
he too did not plan for or envisage.
“I also have families. I didn’t set out on that journey knowing that accident
would occur that would lead to the death of human beings.
“We took everything into proper perspective. If we had succeeded, a few
Nigerians would have congratulated us for the job well done.
“But now that accident has happened, we will learn from what happened,” he
said.
Mr. Moro also explained why his ministry was yet to implement a directive by
President Goodluck Jonathan that three family members of each dead
applicant be given automatic employments.
He said after President Jonathan made the announcement, the Federal
Government also set up a committee over the recruitment tragedy, and that his
ministry preferred to wait for the panel to present its report before acting.
“Finally, the report is ready, waiting for submission and implementation,” the
minister said. “The next level is implementation. What I can say is that the
people affected should exercise understanding and patience. Nobody will
allow further mistakes.”
Only 4,556 vacancies were advertised by the immigration service, but 520,000
applicants registered to write the March 15 recruitment test. Each applicant
was required to pay N1,000 processing fee to be eligible to participate.
A PREMIUM TIMES report estimated that the NIS made at least N520
million from this compulsory levy imposed on applicants.
The extortion of the job seekers was done in flagrant disregard of the directive
by the House of Representatives that government agency should desist from
charging applicants taking part in recruitment exercises.
However, in his reaction to the tragedy at the time, Mr. Moro attributed the
deaths to the applicants’ “impatience.”
“The applicants lost their lives due to impatience; they did not follow the laid
down procedures spelt out to them before the exercise,” Mr. Moro had said.
“Many of them jumped through the fences of affected centres and did not
conduct themselves in an orderly manner to make the exercise a smooth one,”
Mr. Moro had added.
Mr. Moro’s comment sparked anger across Nigeria, with many citizens taking
to social media to call for his immediate sack.
The Federal Government and the National Assembly constituted separate
committees to probe the tragedy at the time. But the reports of the panels are
yet to be made public.
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by ObiOkpor(m): 3:09pm On Oct 20, 2014
No long story needed Mr Abba Moro. Your sack or resignation would have satisfied Nigerians for organising such a poor recruitment exercise,despite the huge sums of money you guys exploited from jobless Nigerian youths.
Why won‘t you spew trash about your sack? Cause the entire system,ranging from the head has/have failed us woefly.
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Gboliwe: 3:23pm On Oct 20, 2014
This man should have his big head examined! While he has a relatively sensible answer as to why he chose not to resign, I see no reason why after 7mths no new applicants/entrants have been made. I see no reason why the FG instruction on automatic employment to the select few have not yet being implemented. I see no reason why he hasn't quit now that the mess is all cleaned up according to him. For Chrissake, 7mths is such a long time to turn around a ministry na. This man is just plain heartless.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Nobody: 4:02am On Oct 21, 2014
Gboliwe:
This man should have his big head examined! While he has a relatively sensible answer as to why he chose not to resign, I see no reason why after 7mths no new applicants/entrants have been made. I see no reason why the FG instruction on automatic employment to the select few have not yet being implemented. I see no reason why he hasn't quit now that the mess is all cleaned up according to him. For Chrissake, 7mths is such a long time to turn around a ministry na. This man is just plain heartless.

Simply put, GEJ did not put Abba Moro in check as he saw nothing wrong with death of 23 Nigerian graduate in that circumstance.
So yes, the man is just plain heartless

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by egift(m): 4:14am On Oct 21, 2014
Abba Moro is enjoying the backing an support of Jonathan. So the money extorted, the fake jobs and the 19 innocent Nigerians that died - will not get Justice under the administration of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan.
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by adconline(m): 4:44am On Oct 21, 2014
Guilty as GEJ

3 Likes

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Pangea: 5:12am On Oct 21, 2014
Never in the history of Nigeria do we have this kind of madness!
What gut!
What temerity!
He says all these in our faces, rubbing it in?
For the fact that he is still occupying that office is an indictment on Goodluck Jonathan!
Jonathan has turned Nigeria to a smorgasbod of corruption!
Its now free for all!
May I say that Jonathan will not have my vote and that of my family in 2015!

Another 4 years under this man is unimaginable!

3 Likes

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by harrwix(m): 6:16am On Oct 21, 2014
No need to go through the epistle....it's typical of Nigerians....smh
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Swizdoe(m): 6:35am On Oct 21, 2014
This man is an idiot......... What audacity........
Yet some idiots will be chanting gej till 2019........ Nobody knows where the money they illegally obtained from the applicants went wink

1 Like

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Swizdoe(m): 6:39am On Oct 21, 2014
adconline:
Guilty as GEJ
I don't why GEJ loves shielding criminals

2 Likes

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by egift(m): 6:43am On Oct 21, 2014
Swizdoe:

Because he is one.
- The Bible said, "Iron sharpeneth iron".
- The Britsh said "show me your friend and I will tell you who you are".
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 21, 2014
How can he resign when he has the backing of Sen. David Mark as his godfather? Jonathan cannot even fire him. David Mark and his wife are enjoying the contracts gotten from the minister so he will never resign.

What a country of den of thieves!
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Swizdoe(m): 6:54am On Oct 21, 2014
egift:

Because he is one.
- The Bible said, "Iron sharpeneth iron".
- The Britsh said "show me your friend and I will tell you who you are".
True talk

1 Like

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by philantoxx(m): 6:57am On Oct 21, 2014
the minister is pathetic,clueless and detached from reality.
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Arch1: 6:59am On Oct 21, 2014
Swizdoe:

because jonaTAN is also a criminal.
.... in another news ....
They are about to scam the Nigerian youths once again. Prospective corpers have been asked to pay four thousand naira before they can have their NYSC call-up letters

1 Like

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by dulaman: 7:05am On Oct 21, 2014
if I’m voted into power within
the next four years, the issue of power will
become a thing of the past. Four years is
enough for anyone in power to make significant
improvement and if I can’t improve on power
within this period, it then means I cannot do
anything even if I am there for the next four
years.”-GEJ 2011

1 Like

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by brainpower(m): 7:26am On Oct 21, 2014
The immigration saga was a very big tragedy and I knew that nothing will be done about it. The minister takes the larger chunk of the blame for not envisaging something like this would happen and when it did, the least he would have done was to device an emergency plan to make things go well even if it means cancelling it and putting another time table for the examination. That being said, 99percent of the applicants were graduates which means they could read atleast. When you were even paying for the registration and saw the crowd in only one branch off a bank, that should have given you a red flag, when you got there and saw the crowd, the best would have been to go back cos in PH alone we had more than the number required for all of the positions in the country. And knowing Federal civil service, they must share it among the states. I know the condiion of things in this country but that doesn't mean we shouldn't use our senses. I think the youths right now is the cause of our problem here and no longer our elders. How can an enlightened man allow himself to be used by a politician all in the name of "conditions are hard". We don't ask the right questions. The first question a youth asks his friend now is, are you ApC or PDP? We should be wise.
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Nobody: 8:10am On Oct 21, 2014
brainpower:
The immigration saga was a very big tragedy and I knew that nothing will be done about it. The minister takes the larger chunk of the blame for not envisaging something like this would happen and when it did, the least he would have done was to device an emergency plan to make things go well even if it means cancelling it and putting another time table for the examination. That being said, 99percent of the applicants were graduates which means they could read atleast. When you were even paying for the registration and saw the crowd in only one branch off a bank, that should have given you a red flag, when you got there and saw the crowd, the best would have been to go back cos in PH alone we had more than the number required for all of the positions in the country. And knowing Federal civil service, they must share it among the states. I know the condiion of things in this country but that doesn't mean we shouldn't use our senses. I think the youths right now is the cause of our problem here and no longer our elders. How can an enlightened man allow himself to be used by a politician all in the name of "conditions are hard". We don't ask the right questions. The first question a youth asks his friend now is, are you ApC or PDP? We should be wise.

If with the all the rots, sufferings and setbacks in the Nigerian system; the only concern we have about who we elect to steer the ship of the Nigerian state is whether the individual is Muslim or Christian; South or North etc. and not strategic leadership, war against corruption and national economic revival; Then, Nigerians deserve to suffer & be oppressed... even die.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 01, 2014
egift:
Abba Moro is enjoying the backing an support of Jonathan. So the money extorted, the fake jobs and the 19 innocent Nigerians that died - will not get Justice under the administration of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 08, 2015
Those of us who lost our graduate(s) on that sad date will never forget!
We will never forget cold hearted callousness of Abba Moro and the inept handling by GEJ govt.
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Nobody: 2:21am On Jan 14, 2015
Great Nigerian students! ...Dead Nigerian Graduate!!
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jan 22, 2015
A sad moment
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Change2015(m): 2:30pm On Jan 22, 2015
Jonathan is never in a hurry to do the right thing. The minister should have been fired after such a tragedy, but I guess this government is not sensitive to, or interested in the opinion of the public.

#change
#GMB
#APC
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 27, 2015
Change2015:
Jonathan is never in a hurry to do the right thing. The minister should have been fired after such a tragedy, but I guess this government is not sensitive to, or interested in the opinion of the public.

#change
#GMB
#APC
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Creamz(m): 9:04pm On Feb 27, 2015
This man is one of the reasons I have decided to vote GEJ out of government. GEJ with his inactions should that he lacked the capacity to call to order the people who are around him. Abba Moro should have resigned or sacked by the president.

(1) (Reply)

|a Gathering Of Nairaland Progressives| Tunde Ajani / Ike Ekweremadu Dedicates His Senatorial Victory To Sullivan Chime / This Is For You If You're Employed And Have Your Own Business[pics]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.