Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked (7804 Views)

"Stella Oduah's Fraud At Enugu Airport" / Apc’s Lawyer Beaten, Arrested And Car Impounded At Enugu Governorship Tribunal / President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by Seun(m): 8:45pm On Nov 14, 2008
POLICE raids have revealed an alleged network baby "farms" or "factories" in Nigeria, forcing a new look at the scope of people trafficking in the country.

At a hospital in Enugu, a large city in Nigeria's southeast, 20 teenage girls were rescued in May in a police swoop on what was believed to be one of the largest infant trafficking rings in the west African country.

The two-storey building on a dusty street in Enugu's teeming Uwani district now stands deserted, shutters down.

Neighbours had long found something bizarre about the establishment, where there was virtually no activity during the day, they said.

The doctor in charge, who is now on trial, reportedly lured teenagers with unwanted pregnancies by offering to help with abortion.

They would be locked up there until they gave birth, whereupon they would be forced to give up their babies for a token fee of around 20,000 naira ($170).

The babies would then be sold to buyers for anything between 300,000 and 450,000 naira ($2500-$3800) each, according to a state agency fighting human trafficking in Nigeria, the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP)

But luck ran out for the gynaecologist, said to be in his 50s, when a woman to whom he had sold a day-old infant was caught by Nigeria's Security and Civil Defence Service (NSCDS) while trying to smuggle the child to Lagos, the security agency said.

Statistics on the prevalence of baby breeding are hard to come by, but anti-trafficking campaigners say it is widespread and run by well-organised criminal syndicates.

"We believe the scope is much wider than we know," said Ijeoma Okoronkwo, head of NAPTIP.

"It has been happening over time, but we did not know. The first indication we had about this came in December 2006, when an NGO raised the alarm and told us babies were being exchanged for cash and that there were a number of hospitals involved."
[b]
The practice takes varying forms. One is where desperate teenagers with unplanned pregnancies, fearing ostracism by society, get lured to a clinic and are forced to turn over their babies.

The girls are so intimidated many can hardly relate their experience freely.

But one brave victim, an 18-year-old, who asked not to be named for fear of reprisal, recounted her week-long ordeal when she was trapped inside one of the clinics days before it was raided by police.

"The moment I stepped in there, I was given an injection, I passed out and next thing I woke up and realised I had been raped," said the girl, who was five months pregnant at the time of her ordeal.

When she asked if she could telephone her family to let them know of her whereabouts, the doctor slapped her on the face.

She was shoved into a room where 19 other girls were kept; all had been through a similar experience. She said the doctor raped her again the following day. A week later police swooped on the clinic.[/b]

Another category of young women, driven by deep poverty, lease out their wombs and volunteer themselves, as regularly as is biologically possible, to produce babies for sale.

"When we raided the hospital, we found four women who had been staying at the clinic for up to three years, to breed babies," NSDCS boss for Enugu state commandant Desmond Agu said.

The doctor, whom police named, "had been inviting boys to come and impregnate girls," said Mr Agu.

This was just one of around a dozen centres - masquerading as maternity clinics, foster homes, orphanages or shelters for homeless pregnant girls - unearthed in recent months where babies were swapped for cash, said the NAPTITP boss.

Last month police swooped on a so-called foster home, not far from the Enugu police headquarters, where seven pregnant teenage girls and five
workers were rounded up,
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24650838-23109,00.html
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by SamMilla1(m): 8:52pm On Nov 14, 2008
Hmm, In this generation,
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by yicob(m): 10:52pm On Nov 14, 2008
Things seem to be getting worse.
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by Cipriani(m): 11:04pm On Nov 14, 2008
@seun

The world is coming to an END

be prepared for the RAPTURE cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by Okijajuju1(m): 11:12pm On Nov 14, 2008
Cipriani:

@seun

So just because a couple of fellows came up with an inhumane way to make money, the world all of a sudden is coming to an end.
When Hitler fried Jews, the world did not end,
When Bush smoked Iraqis, the world did not end,
When Terrorists blew-up the WTC, the world survived,
When Saddam gassed his own people, the world did not end,
When God drowned the whole world in water, Somehow noah managed to give birth to 6/7 continents.

So puleeze with the rature talk already.
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by osisi6(f): 11:33pm On Nov 14, 2008
This is horrible.
A physician capturing little girls for  breeding and selling the babies
our people are heartless o
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by MrCrackles(m): 11:39pm On Nov 14, 2008
people don craze oo

dem come dey breed children like xmas turkey or sallah ram?! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by osisi6(f): 11:52pm On Nov 14, 2008
This is so wrong.
My birth home of all places cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
a little search revealed that this greed is spread out but the Enugu case is worse

One of the women who allegedly bought a baby girl two weeks back, at the rate of about N20,000.00, to be paid in instalments, had her first and last child over fifteen years ago and had been seeking to have more since then, without success.

The little baby girl she bought was delivered by a 23-year-old Southern Kaduna girl (names withheld) who allegedly told the physician, after a safe delivery, to kill the baby. Her reason, Nigerian Newsday gathered, was that as a student of Kaduna Polytechnic, it would be difficult for her to fend for a baby and that having a baby around her would not allow her to continue to play "the young girl".

The doctor who allegedly has a reputation of selling such babies had earlier been contacted by the woman who eventually bought the baby.

Nigerian Newsday source said shortly after the woman was contacted to come and collect the baby girl, a ritualist who also patronised the doctor came offering something higher, but was told he might not have it because the woman had earlier booked for and was promised the baby.

Nigerian Newsday was also reliably told of a baby boy that was delivered penultimate week by a Hausa girl already engaged by someone but who offered the baby for sale because she allegedly had it for a man other than her husband to be.

http://www.nasarawastate.org/newsday/news/nasarawa/10528113247.html
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by lexicon(m): 12:06am On Nov 15, 2008
na wahhh oooooooooooo. wonders shall never cease to happen
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by osisi6(f): 12:09am On Nov 15, 2008
then this doctor didn't get the baby at birth but still managed to snatch it from the helpless teenage girl.

Meanwhile, Sarah said when she got to the hospital, Adeyemi gave her some drugs to take which made her feel dizzy.

“After taking the drugs he drove me in his car to White House Street where Mary Okon lives and collected the baby from the car and handed him over to the nurse.

“I was feeling too weak and confused and could not do or say anything,” Sarah narrated.

After returning to the hospital, Dr. Adeyemi she said gave her the key to his office to go in there and wait.

“After I waited for a long time in his office, he did not come. I decided to come out when my head cleared a little. When he came back, he was very angry and ordered me to go inside the office and he locked me up,” Sarah said in tears.

The girl was locked up in office until the following day which was a Monday. According to her, the doctor on Monday morning wrote a letter which he handed over to her to copy which he then dispatched to her sisters in Ikot Ansa.
http://desholakomolafe.tigblog.org/post/209769
The
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by OgidiBoy(m): 12:12am On Nov 15, 2008
Is *Osisi the same as the one and only Babyosisi, and Nwando ?
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by osisi6(f): 12:18am On Nov 15, 2008
OgidiBoy:

Is *Osisi the same as the one and only Babyosisi, and Nwando ?

sHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by osisi6(f): 12:20am On Nov 15, 2008
ogidi boy are you seeing what I'm seeing.
Doctors in Enugu are are now selling babies on a grand scale.
na so Nigeria bad reach?
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by osisi6(f): 12:22am On Nov 15, 2008
A Nigerian orphanage has been closed down and its owner, a female pastor, arrested after allegations that it was at the heart of a baby-selling scam.
Police say the orphanage looked after unmarried girls during their pregnancies and then sold their babies on to childless couples.

Hospitals in Nigeria's biggest city, Lagos, were also involved, police say. [b][/b]

Fifteen pregnant girls and four babies are being looked after by Nigeria's social welfare agency.

Padding

The husband and daughter of the 46-year-old pastor have also been arrested.

The BBC's Sola Odunfa in Lagos says the pregnant girls were told their babies would be adopted through official channels.

These children were rescued from granite mines in Nigeria
They were paid $180, while the babies were allegedly sold for $1,000.

After giving birth, some of the girls returned home without anyone knowing they had been pregnant.

A police spokesman said sometimes, the husband of the couple buying the baby was unaware of what was happening.

A woman looking for a baby would be told by the orphanage to fake an accident and go to a hospital which was part of the scam.

Doctors there would "discover" she was pregnant and ask her to attend ante-natal classes.

Each time she attended, doctors would increase the padding over her stomach to make it appear as though her pregnancy was developing, until finally, she gave birth.

A doctor has also been arrested.

Way of life

This is the second alleged case of child trafficking discovered in Nigeria in a week.

A woman was arrested after 56 children were found in her truck last week.

Police accused her of bringing them from central Nigeria to work as domestic servants in Lagos.

The government has pledged to tackle the problem and last year outlawed trafficking and set up an agency to deal with offenders.

But officials say it is hard to crack down in a country where people are poor and where trafficking has become an accepted way of life.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4346873.stm
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by osisi6(f): 12:23am On Nov 15, 2008
The world is such a wicked place
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by OgidiBoy(m): 12:24am On Nov 15, 2008
My dear it's really sad what our people will do for money. I pray the law deal with these heartless ungodly people.
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by blackspade(m): 12:38am On Nov 15, 2008
This is sickening. If any more of these 'factories' are remaining (which I'm sure of), I hope they are all raided, and everyone who is involved is disciplined severely. These type of things need to be 'stomped out' quickly before they gain momentum, and start becoming widespread. We don't want this becoming the next bad thing Naija is known for.
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by osisi6(f): 12:42am On Nov 15, 2008
The scariest was the story I posted above in Kaduna area where a woman had been promised the baby for sale and a ritualist who also patronised the same joint came and gave a higher bid.
This is disgusting and infuriating.
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by whiteroses(f): 3:02am On Nov 15, 2008
just because of this n
Cipriani:

@seun

the world will come to an end just because of this ape shit?, some of us still have many important things to do
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by naijaking1: 3:04am On Nov 15, 2008
*osisi:

The scariest was the story I posted above in Kaduna area where a woman had been promised the baby for sale and a ritualist who also patronised the same joint came and gave a higher bid.
This is disgusting and infuriating.

Nne, I don't know; selling babies or killing them as witches which is worse. Either way, we're stepping back to pre-Vasco de Gama era.
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by kathyekiti: 4:44am On Nov 15, 2008
I love my country but until we find better ways to judge women i.e. virginity, fertility, skin tone, hairlength these types of things will continue. Rather than act like sex is unnatural, teach these young girls about contraception. As for the infertile women, the shame has to be removed so that they seek legal recourse rather than baby by moonlight means to "redeem" themselves.
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by neowelsh(m): 9:13am On Nov 15, 2008
putting an end to situations like the aforementioned
has to start with you.

your little contribution is all we need for a better future
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by ikeyman00(m): 10:52am On Nov 15, 2008
@post

its sad; but then the igbos in enugu always beleive that sort of thing isnt enugu thing, its usually anambra state thing

so there u go nwando

nevermind the witch thing, this one came out on front cover in UK here as well at the time, also in BBC24 hmm ha
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by dbaptist1(m): 11:32am On Nov 15, 2008
wnat has happened to GODS own time
human beings wanna help God and its a result of impatience
but it all is bad and where does it leave them now that they have been nabbed
its a high level of man's inhumanity to man
and where does that leave the children they used
what if some1 used their own children like that how wuld they feel
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by MadMax1(f): 1:14pm On Nov 15, 2008
You hear something this week and are horrified. The following week, it is something worse. Who is the doctor in the post?Why isn't his identity revealed? And the other evildoers, no names. Why are they being shielded in news reports?
People are terrible.
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by UNLEASHED(m): 1:48pm On Nov 15, 2008
Even worst are happening
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by princekevo(m): 2:01pm On Nov 15, 2008
Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat Nigeria!!!!!!!. New day,New strange stories.My Only pray is may God have mercy on that country Nigeria.
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by MCUsman(m): 3:23pm On Nov 15, 2008
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked

cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by DereI(f): 3:58pm On Nov 15, 2008
Well, Its no news. Afterall if human beings can be eaten by fellow humans, why cant humans be sold by humans? Its no news oooo,
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by Damest09(f): 4:23pm On Nov 15, 2008
--
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by kellygirl(f): 9:41pm On Nov 15, 2008
wonders shall neva end in Nigeria.
Re: Baby Farms At Enugu State: People Are Wicked by MP007(m): 11:13pm On Nov 15, 2008
how much for twins grin, just kiddin angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

One Of The Party Should Please Summit My Name For President Adesegun Musiwa / Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals / Delta At 30: Oke Umurhohwo Celebrates With Gov. Okowa And Deltans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.