Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,207 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:45 PM

Child Naming- Whose Right? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Child Naming- Whose Right? (3509 Views)

Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? / Child Naming / A Perfect Naming Ceremony. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Child Naming- Whose Right? by Pavore9: 3:20pm On Oct 23, 2014
Both.
Re: Child Naming- Whose Right? by 5minsmadness: 4:31pm On Oct 23, 2014
If you are a man and you open your eyes to marry a woman who will be arguing with you whose right it is to name your own child, you are a complete mugu.

2 Likes

Re: Child Naming- Whose Right? by LordReed(m): 5:23pm On Oct 23, 2014
5minsmadness:
If you are a man and you open your eyes to marry a woman who will be arguing with you whose right it is to name your own child, you are a complete mugu.

Do you need to argue? Name your child it is your right whether father or mother.

3 Likes

Re: Child Naming- Whose Right? by rezzy: 8:45pm On Oct 23, 2014
We are from different tribes. We agreed to name our babies this way. 1st child,, he names, 2nd child i name, like that. As in, i will give 2nd child my native names. And that is what he/she will be called in school, no other names.

He agreed wen we werent married, now, his tone has changed. He said you that cant really speak ur language, the name must have good meaning, if not, bla bla. I just told him, na name wen mama call pikin dey stand. I will be d one to register him at school, i will use d name i choose to.
Re: Child Naming- Whose Right? by BreezyRita(f): 8:24am On Oct 24, 2014
[quote author=5minsmadness post=27389050]If you are a man and you open your eyes to marry a woman who will be arguing with you whose right it is to name your own child, you are a complete mugu.[/quote

Did you say your ow in child?? Wey you born abi? Shey u felt labour pains?? What makes you have total ownership. of a child?? It was a joint venture!! The mother had a part to play too.
Please change this mindset

1 Like

Re: Child Naming- Whose Right? by 5minsmadness: 8:36am On Oct 24, 2014
BreezyRita:

Did you say your ow in child?? Wey you born abi? Shey u felt labour pains?? What makes you have total ownership. of a child?? It was a joint venture!! The mother had a part to play too.
Please change this mindset
I don talk my own. Men nowadays are such pussies its sickening. You can call the child any name you want but at the end of the day its what I say is his name that he will be called! if you no like am abeg no collect bride price!
Re: Child Naming- Whose Right? by Juzzybabe(f): 8:58am On Oct 24, 2014
soonest:
Give it to the fathers,it's their prerogative. However, the mother can name the child as well. I name mine because if I wait for my husband,the child will be 2yrs old without a name.
Funny you lolzzz
Re: Child Naming- Whose Right? by Juzzybabe(f): 9:06am On Oct 24, 2014
Am expecting my first baby and I have been thinking about the same. I already have names in heart,only pray my over sabi mother inlaw doesn't interrupt it with those heavy weighing Edo names. can't even pronounce my husband native name well,I can't risk that with my baby
Re: Child Naming- Whose Right? by BreezyRita(f): 9:41am On Oct 24, 2014
Juzzybabe:
Am expecting my first baby and I have been thinking about the same. I already have names in heart,only pray my over sabi mother inlaw doesn't interrupt it with those heavy weighing Edo names. can't even pronounce my husband native name well,I can't risk that with my baby
gringrin
Re: Child Naming- Whose Right? by thorpido(m): 11:52am On Oct 24, 2014
rezzy:
We are from different tribes. We agreed to name our babies this way. 1st child,, he names, 2nd child i name, like that. As in, i will give 2nd child my native names. And that is what he/she will be called in school, no other names.

He agreed wen we werent married, now, his tone has changed. He said you that cant really speak ur language, the name must have good meaning, if not, bla bla. I just told him, na name wen mama call pikin dey stand. I will be d one to register him at school, i will use d name i choose to.
Una wan start kata kata be that.
Re: Child Naming- Whose Right? by shizzleStar: 5:22pm On Oct 24, 2014
This is not a competition or power tussle, they can both decide and agree depending on the level of understanding between them, but it is the mans prerogative anyway.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Must Only The Married Women Wear Wedding Rings But Not The Men? / Does obeah really exist?/Going to the evil Herbalist, does it really work? / Nigerian Man Wanted In Connection With The Rape Of A Six-year-old

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.