Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,796 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:06 PM

Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation (20990 Views)

NLC: Buhari Now Captive Of Forces Of Subsidy Removal, Deregulation / Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date / No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by Nobody: 12:40am On Oct 23, 2014
chreldb:

Some people need to know the difference between deregulation and reduction. My question has been answered. Thanks!
Anytime bro.
Labour unions in Nigeria are a joke.
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by sekzy99(m): 12:42am On Oct 23, 2014
i need a job onboard a ship, studied marine engineering. Have my stcw 95,medical n discharge book ready. Momlilyseyi@gmail.com or 08023373302Thanks
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by joseph1832(m): 12:47am On Oct 23, 2014
APContherun:

You guys are so funny. Wage deregulation doesn't necessarily entail salary reduction but a removal of wages and salaries matter from the exclusive list to the concurrent list so that both the FG and state givts determine and decide what they pay their workers. This is against the present practice where wages and salaries ofboth FG, state and LGs workers are fixed by the National Salaries and Wages Commision an agency of the FG. If the move succeds state govts will have their own agencies that will be responsible for fixing workers salaries.
State govts will now fix salaries depending on the economy of the state involved.
Labour knows this move will drastically reduce the powers of the labour unions and that's why they fight.
I hear you, how come the NASS didn't deregulate their own wages so that we the masses can decide what they take home at the end of the month? Abeg make I hear word bros.

3 Likes

Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by joseph1832(m): 12:54am On Oct 23, 2014
chreldb:

Oga I asked a question. If you can answer please do and stop assuming. The article was not explanatory enough that's why I posed that question.
No vex!.
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by Nobody: 1:05am On Oct 23, 2014
Here is the problem....in brief.

Nigeria is an oil dependent economy. We rely on just 2.5m bpd of oil....the revenue which must be shared among 170m people....compared to Saudi with 11 million and 9.5mbpd of oil, and Norway with 11 million and just about the same amount in oil production.

The thing is, we have to urgently diversify or economy. We can no longer continually rely on oil. We are not a rich country.....and the sad thing is that most Nigerians do not know it.

We must reduce the amount of money spent in the National assembly....it is too obscene. But at the same time....we cannot pretend that it would suddenly make every other Nigerian better off. We must develop a strong industrial base....to the point where we invest in science, technology, innovative education and so on....so that we can have the deep pockets of countries like Germany, China, Japan etc....to pay decent salaries for Civil Service Workers.

Nigeria must get off the resource trap. Oil is a curse.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by adahib: 1:08am On Oct 23, 2014
APContherun:

You guys are so funny. Wage deregulation doesn't necessarily entail salary reduction but a removal of wages and salaries matter from the exclusive list to the concurrent list so that both the FG and state givts determine and decide what they pay their workers. This is against the present practice where wages and salaries ofboth FG, state and LGs workers are fixed by the National Salaries and Wages Commision an agency of the FG. If the move succeds state govts will have their own agencies that will be responsible for fixing workers salaries.
State govts will now fix salaries depending on the economy of the state involved.
Labour knows this move will drastically reduce the powers of the labour unions and that's why they fight.

Yes it will reduce the powers of the labour unions because they will lack a common front to pressurize the government into making any upward review of the minimum wage, but look at if from the angle of the workers.

If salaries are moved to the concurrent list,the F.G will only fix and be responsible for the pay of federal workers while each state will fix it's own according to it's strength,hence the term "deregulation". So there will be nothing like "the national minimum wage" anymore.

Now,the allocation of each state differs. In the same vain,state A may fix it's minimum wage at 18k while state B will say "because of our meager allocations,we can only afford to pay 10k as minimum wage". At that point,the F.G can't lean on them to pay more than they claim they can afford.

We already know how many states are groaning under the weight of huge wage bills but right now,they have no choice but to pay. Once the new arrangement is effected,most states will jump up in happiness and push down the minimum wage as much as they like because frankly,none of them will raise it willingly.

So do you now see the angle from which the labour union is coming from Hehehe......

2 Likes

Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by tollu: 1:18am On Oct 23, 2014
The Civil Service is in need of a MASSIVE restructuring. Make I no too talk before people papa dem go start to dey swear
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by Nobody: 1:22am On Oct 23, 2014
Aprime:
Strike!

The only official language the Nigerian government recognize - For Dialogue. grin

In fact when ‘we’ don't threaten to embark on a strike, nobody will hear ‘our’ call.

Yes, that's how worthless the system of governance is.
With PDP, strike is a Norm. They feed on It.

Vote them Out.

Liberate yourselves from this clue-less form of governance Nigerians.

Vote APC In. And you wouldn't even get to see the word strike ever again. cool

Ofcourse we wont hear of strike again.... by mass-sacking anyone who dares strike & den forcing them to sign MoU when they are called back that they promise never to strike & be a "mumu" for the govt or be dismissed...the wickedness that will NEVER get GMB nor APshits the presidential seat...

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by Deepfreezer(m): 2:00am On Oct 23, 2014
little thing and people will threaten or go on strike. they should know their better ways of doing things than Strike action.
Nonsense
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by emeka94(m): 2:36am On Oct 23, 2014
Nawah oh
Wahala dey
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by curiousmind11: 2:46am On Oct 23, 2014
QMark:

It is very true that N18k minimum wage is too small for Nigerian wokers, but as an office assistant in Ijebu Ode LGA, comparing your salary to that of the NA member is too much to wish for. Did you spend money on posters? All you did was a N5 photocopy of your 2-page CV. grin

But seriously this is sad. N18k per month is about N600 per day. And an average civil servant has about 7 children. The math is hard to do. sad

Why don't you talk about the jumbo pay and allowances gulped by these dis-honorables? The minimum wage should be left as it is, or an improvement made. How justified are these polithieves in the amount they make legally and illegally?

OK, they printed poster. I guess U are warming up to join the league. Kudos!!
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by abbakacici: 3:12am On Oct 23, 2014
chreldb:
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is wage deregulation and what are its implications. Anyone knowledgeable in this should please answer the question. Thank you.
it each state or sector of the economy will decide their own minimum wages. which on paper is not bad but due to greedy/selfish nature our politician/ corporate employer, vulnerable employer might work for almost free. example Benue and Taraba state are already planing to reduce to like 12k a month furthermore primary school teacher are not as powerful as ASUU therefore in the next 10 years while ASUU salary might increase by 100% primary school teacher salary will not increase
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by CzarChris(m): 3:44am On Oct 23, 2014
synergycom19:
Labor unions are very selfish , greedy and unpatriotic, they wanted the government to continue wasting money on them while they do nothing to improve on there service delivery. In efficency and corruption including embezzlement abound, check out,NNPC, CBN EFCC, FIRS, CUSTOMS, IMMIGRATION,MDG's etc
They never strike against corruption, bad governance, improve infrastructures, social services
Dude, this is insensitive. What of the obscene take home of NASS members? The infinite conduit pipes used to launder and siphon public funds by the ogas at the top. You won't say that, your concern is that government is wasting money on wages.
What is the wage bill of the average Nigerian? Convert it to dollars and do a comparison with international standards.
Make people papa no come swear for you here ooo.

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by Cul4real(m): 4:25am On Oct 23, 2014
Why National assembly did not reduce their own salary first and all political office holder‘s salary? The issue of unemployment is also nothing to them. May GOD fire them all.
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by Nobody: 4:40am On Oct 23, 2014
Do you enjoy reading interesting motivational stories(fictions)?
If so, I have them for you free on the EBIAG website, www.ebiag.com

1. WE ARE ABLE (Story of deaf and dumb Rose who made it despite her physical challenges)
2. Everybody Is A Genius (Foreign story having more than 100 genius characters in it)
3. As E Dey Happen (A Pidgin tory wey go make you laff kon fall down yakata for ground)
4. Honeymoon In Prison (This will make you shed tears, highly emotional)
5. Hope And The Island Of Greatness(This will challenge and motivate you to do exploits in life)

Visit www.ebiag.com now to read them up.
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by bello(m): 4:46am On Oct 23, 2014
why is NASS are always putting the cart before the horse? why can't they start by redusing their own jumbo salaries before deregulating the civil servants? by doing so it will give them the moral ground to deregulate any government salaries
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by Nobody: 4:48am On Oct 23, 2014
is like you guys are just commenting without reading the post . The post isn't talking abt Good luck Jonathan nor PDP but national assembly. How una take dey pas exam? You guys are just too use to criticising d wrong person.
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by foxgiovani(m): 5:26am On Oct 23, 2014
The only way I will support what NASS is saying is if they will allow their own salaries too to be deregulated. Let Labour unions look into their salary to justify and make ammendments where necessary. They all have foreign account and building abroad with the billions they loot from this country and yet they won't allow civil servants be. Nonsense. Let the deregulation start from their own salaries Asap.
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by Hman12(m): 6:15am On Oct 23, 2014
Oh no not again, dis government is callous n selfish.
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by Anglovel: 6:23am On Oct 23, 2014
mcdokwe:
Oh! Not again. When will government start
honouring agreements without waiting for the
workers to embark on industrial action first? But
then I wish workers would be more dynamic and
creative in pushing home their demands. I done tire
for all these strike.
Leaders of workers union should be proactive,not stooges,pls use every machinary of peaceful dialogue and firm negotiations to achieve long lasting resolutions.
We dont want any more Strikes,Protests etc LET PEACE REIGN,NIGERIA HAS TO MOVE FORWARD,OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE....

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by QMark: 6:25am On Oct 23, 2014
curiousmind11:

Why don't you talk about the jumbo pay and allowances gulped by these dis-honorables? The minimum wage should be left as it is, or an improvement made. How justified are these polithieves in the amount they make legally and illegally?

OK, they printed poster. I guess U are warming up to join the league. Kudos!!

Guy, I'm suprised you took my words seriously. Just trying to create a "lighter note" perspective from the sad situation. I'm sorry if it landed wrongly on you. No vex.
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by Samgreguc(m): 6:56am On Oct 23, 2014
APContherun:

Thanks a lot,,,,,,,, I have been thinking this will be the outcome using my little knowledge of government and you just helped me confirmed it......

This will go along way to make states try to generate their own fund if they want good workers as good woRkers will run to where there is a good pay.

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by Nobody: 6:57am On Oct 23, 2014
adahib:

Yes it will reduce the powers of the labour unions because they will lack a common front to pressurize the government into making any upward review of the minimum wage, but look at if from the angle of the workers.

If salaries are moved to the concurrent list,the F.G will only fix and be responsible for the pay of federal workers while each state will fix it's own according to it's strength,hence the term "deregulation". So there will be nothing like "the national minimum wage" anymore.

Now,the allocation of each state differs. In the same vain,state A may fix it's minimum wage at 18k while state B will say "because of our meager allocations,we can only afford to pay 10k as minimum wage". At that point,the F.G can't lean on them to pay more than they claim they can afford.

We already know how many states are groaning under the weight of huge wage bills but right now,they have no choice but to pay. Once the new arrangement is effected,most states will jump up in happiness and push down the minimum wage as much as they like because frankly,none of them will raise it willingly.

So do you now see the angle from which the labour union is coming from Hehehe......
I understand this very well and workers rightly or wrongly have a right to be agitated but one question you must not lose sight of this this what right has the FG got to decide for states how much they should pay their workers given the federal system of govt we practice.

You have rightly pointed out that the allocation of states differ, shouldn't that be a good reason to deregulate the wages and salaries so that states can pay her workers what it can afford? Why force states to pay what it can't afford?

In mature federal systems of democracy around the world the central govt has little or no say in the such matters and so I think the NASS got this one right even as I appreciate the concern of labour. The right things must be done if we are to move forward as a nation.

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by Samgreguc(m): 7:15am On Oct 23, 2014
prekumohtim:
is like you guys are just commenting without reading the post . The post isn't talking abt Good luck Jonathan nor PDP but national assembly. How una take dey pas exam? You guys are just too use to criticising d wrong person.
That's the effect of hatred.
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by dabossman(m): 8:21am On Oct 23, 2014
adahib:

Nothing stops the state workers from calling a strike or whatever if their state governments offer ridiculous wages. Is not like localised, state workers strike is a new thing.

Personally, I think this will be a good move in the long run. Yes, initially some states may want to play smart, but if workers fight for better and reasonable pay, they will get it .

Imagine a state like Lagos where the cost of living is high paying the same 18K minimum wage as states like say Jigawa, Osun or Ebonyi where cost of living is not so high, even with all the IGR that Lagos generates and the Federal allocation they get. It makes no sense. Let states pay based on how much they can afford and also with regards to the cost of living in such states.

I also think it will bring competition as workers will likely migrate to states that pay better. Why stay in Lagos earning 18k if say Ogun is paying 25 or 30k for the same level. This manpower migration may eventually force some states to offer better pay to keep their best hands.

This is what true Federalism is about. This is the ideal, even though Naija can be peculiar most times. Hopefully, we can make it work.
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by abdul4new(m): 8:43am On Oct 23, 2014
I learnt u dis zivil zervants r going on ztrike wel as a member houze of rehps let me take cover in Dubai for a while, no going back on our dezicion.
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by 4C2215131: 8:49am On Oct 23, 2014
chreldb:

Oga I asked a question. If you can answer please do and stop assuming. The article was not explanatory enough that's why I posed that question.

Nice one!
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by masseratti: 9:06am On Oct 23, 2014
What is wrong with this civil thus civil servants,wages should be appropriated according to demand of each area,states,living expenses in lagos is larger than Gusau,wages can't be the same.
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by JBNwaeze(m): 9:07am On Oct 23, 2014
Aprime:
Strike!

The only official language the Nigerian government recognize - For Dialogue. grin

In fact when ‘we’ don't threaten to embark on a strike, nobody will hear ‘our’ call.

Vote them Out.

Aprime:
Strike!

Vote them Out.

Aprime:
Strike!

Vote them Out.

Not this time,
Re: Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation by 4C2215131: 9:20am On Oct 23, 2014
Samgreguc:

Thanks a lot,,,,,,,, I have been thinking this will be the outcome using my little knowledge of government and you just helped me confirmed it......

This will go along way to make states try to generate their own fund if they want good workers as good woRkers will run to where there is a good pay.

And where in this country do you think there will be good pay? The mistake you're making is reasoning like a normative economist. In Nigeria, positive economist is what holds sway (the political angle which is ALWAYS synonymous with corruption is ALWAYS a factor,which by the way oughtn't be).

Why? In normal situations deregulation should bring about what you opined but, it can never happen in a country as corrupt as Nigeria. So civil servants knowing this are just being proactive by issuing this warning.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Suswam’s Deputy, Lawani, Aondoakaa , Others Set To Defect To APC In Benue / Don’t Make English, Maths Compulsory For Students Seeking Admission – Okorocha / Please Dont Travel For Easter, Jimi Agbaje Begs Ndigbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.