Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,247 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month (5089 Views)

Oyo State Govt Yet To Pay Civil Servants Their September Salaries / Civil Servants Threaten Strike Over Proposed Wage Deregulation / MASSOB Sit-at-home Order - How Is Your Area? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by Ovularia: 12:16am On Jan 14, 2012
Civil servants threaten to sit at home for one month

JANUARY 14, 2012 BY FRIDAY OLOKOR, ABUJA 1 COMMENT

The Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria has described the ‘no work, no pay’ rule as an empty threat by the government to discourage Nigerians from fighting for their rights.

The association stated that if the government proceeded to implement the policy, it would order its members to sit at home for one month.

The Secretary-General of ASCSN and founding Secretary-General of the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria, Mr. Solomon Onaghinon, said this in a telephone interview with SATURDAY PUNCH.

The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Mohammed Adoke (SAN), had threatened to invoke the policy in line with public service rules.

He had said, “It is pertinent to remind all Nigerians that the enjoyment of these rights and freedom must be consistent with the letters and spirit of the constitution.

“The current strike by the organised labour, which has prevented the legitimate pursuit of economic activities across the country in defiance of a valid subsisting order of a superior court of record, transgresses the parameters set by the constitution and extant laws.

“In the event that public servants continue to disregard the terms of their employment in the absence of any trade dispute and especially in the face of blatant disregard of a subsisting court order, the government will not hesitate to enforce the ‘no work, no pay’ policy.”

But reacting to the threat, Onaghinon said the ASCSN would adopt new strategies.

He said, “The ‘no work, no pay’ rule is not a new directive whenever we are in crisis of this nature; at the end of the day, we shall resolve it. There is a meeting going on right now and all those issues will be part of the meeting.

“The removal of subsidy affects the entire nation and we will give any sacrifice to ensure that Nigeria is not destroyed. So, whatever sacrifice that is needed to preserve this country, we have to do it and after that we will begin to think of individual situations, including the ‘no work, no pay’ rule.

“If the government insists on it, we will adopt a strategy that we won’t work for one month, all of us. Can the government bear it? Whose law will be stronger – the civil servants or the government? They are just bringing that policy to discourage Nigerians from doing what is right.”

The ASCSN scribe, however, advised Nigerians to be focused, saying, “This price hike is unprecedented and not necessary.”

Onaghinon said, “Nigerians all over the country are angry. Forget the people who have collected N20:00 to support the removal of fuel subsidy. The entire subsidy that they have removed for the past 30 years, what have we benefited?

“The diesel that has been deregulated for over five years ago, has the price ever come down? All the stories are the same; they have been telling us the same stories for the past 30 years and they will tell the same story to our great grandchildren unless the matter is properly resolved now.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/civil-servants-threaten-to-sit-at-home-for-one-month/
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by mikuz(m): 12:34am On Jan 14, 2012
im solidly behind you.
Enough is enough.
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by Kobojunkie: 12:46am On Jan 14, 2012
If this is just to protest against fuel subsidy removal, then I support the use of koboko to drive you all back to work!! ROFLMAO!!!

However, if you have all finally awoken to the fact that you have all been decieved and this is the time our African Awakening, then I am all behind you all sitting down for months until Government makes a complete 360 in it's approach to handling corruption, as well as handling our place as a people in this nation.
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by Nobody: 5:28am On Jan 14, 2012
Even the minister knows that he cant try such. It's just shakara. However i suggest we compile names of politicians that we want to be tried in court, that's the starting way.
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by sizzlers(m): 6:02am On Jan 14, 2012
im 100% in support for labour.
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by Lex1(m): 6:03am On Jan 14, 2012
This is another FG bluffing policy. What the FG should av done before the subsidy removal ( To educate Nigerians). Now he does 27/7 on Nta. I just hope the SURE Programmes is not another means of chopping money.
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by fasa2020(m): 6:16am On Jan 14, 2012
they shouldn't try such ! 30 Days
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by Nobody: 6:38am On Jan 14, 2012
Lex1:

This is another FG bluffing policy. What the FG should av done before the subsidy removal ( To educate Nigerians). Now he does 27/7 on Nta. I just hope the SURE Programmes is not another means of chopping money.
thats exactly what it is. just like the PTDF,NDE,NDDC,ECA,SWF the list is innumerable
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by freecocoa(f): 6:58am On Jan 14, 2012
Walahi I don't know if I support this strike anymore,just lost my ATM card. embarassed
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by efisher(m): 7:00am On Jan 14, 2012
Civil servants are enjoying this self imposed holiday. They've not had enough of it yet.
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by chidyke77(m): 7:03am On Jan 14, 2012
efisher:

Civil servants are enjoying this self imposed holiday. They've not had enough of it yet.
i think only few does.
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by macIB(m): 7:51am On Jan 14, 2012
This govt + emeka wogu are jokers. Threatening what they can't do!, bunch of toothless bulldogs!!
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by hassymo5(m): 8:07am On Jan 14, 2012
diesel was deregulated five years ago but the price is still high, thats what these politicians do promise and fail, now they want to deregulate pms, how sure are we that is not another promise and fail, they did it with diesel still nothing happen, so why not fix the refinaries and remove subsidy, what is too hard in this,
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by Sommey(m): 8:16am On Jan 14, 2012
Bunch of fools ma broda.
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by Yeske2(m): 8:19am On Jan 14, 2012
Make govment try am if dem born dem well
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by gists: 8:29am On Jan 14, 2012
We have a golden opportunity now to demand for change in the "business-as-ussual" approach to gov. This has grown well above just return to N65/liter. We need to pressurize the gov to pass the PIB, tackle corruption, security, wastage, electricity and a host of other vices that begs for immediate attension. I fully support the return to N65/l price pending when these will done. But in the interim, we should continue to occupy the streets until we get concrete signs that corruption is being tackeled. IMHO, a good measure of headway is the immunity clause - it should go for a start.
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by poweredcom(m): 10:53am On Jan 14, 2012
Omo, this jonathan is a wicked and stupid senseless leader, he does not lead by example, men as at rhis moment many youth hates being a Nigerian and i am included, i have so much hatred for the government of this nation,

if ihad the chance to be a sniper, i would killed many senators and ex leaders
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by Nobody: 11:20am On Jan 14, 2012
This government is senseless, why d hell will dey do dat shocked
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by muami(m): 11:34am On Jan 14, 2012
Civil servants can afford to sit at home for 1 year and ultimately, they would collect their salaries. It is the private sector workers, artisans, petty traders etc who join them to do so that I pity.
Re: No Work, No Pay: Civil Servants Threaten To Sit At Home For One Month by kinguwem: 2:58pm On Jan 14, 2012
Most civil servants are unproductive. They are lazy and can afford to stay at home because their salaries will be paid. In some states especially in the North, they are only seen when salaries are paid. The senior officers assist the politicians and contractors to loot the treasury. Have they ever held a protest against corruption? Most local government councils still do table payment of salaries. This method of payment is fraudulant but none of them has prostested. The civil service needs serious reforms. These calibre of officers cannot develop this country.

(1) (Reply)

The Biggest Steel Factory In West Africa Is Being Built In Aba / What Is Marginalization in Respect To Igbos / BREAKING!!! Court Orders Arrest Of Air Peace Boss , Allen Onyeama(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.