Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,212 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:28 AM

Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy (3222 Views)

Steps Taken To Actualize Biafra, In Response To "Assuming Biafra Is Achieved" / Our Plan Is To Actualize Biafra By December- Nnamdi Kanu / Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by ChimaAdeoye: 1:35pm On Oct 24, 2014
seanet02:
You need to google search what Federal system of government is all about. Then you will understand the word "addendum of state administrative functions"

Exactly !

The LGAs have continued to be a drain pipe to waste 20% of the national budget! No single LGA ever embark on street building, gutter building or even building more elementary schools! It is all done by the state governments. So what do the LGAs do with the 20% federal allocation ? Except to share the money each month and wait for the next month's allocation to arrive and be shared.

The op must be one of those councillors looting this nation thru the dysfunctional LGA system
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by anonimi: 1:48pm On Oct 24, 2014
barcanista:
we have councillors that are supposed to watch over the Chairman and his/her executives. We have the people that are sooooo close to the councillors. We don't need any other regulatory body again for LG

I endorse this opinion wholeheartedly smiley
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by anonimi: 1:50pm On Oct 24, 2014
ChimaAdeoye:

Exactly !

The LGAs have continued to be a drain pipe to waste 20% of the national budget! No single LGA ever embark on street building, gutter building or even building more elementary schools! It is all done by the state governments. So what do the LGAs do with the 20% federal allocation ? Except to share the money each month and wait for the next month's allocation to arrive and be shared.

The op must be one of those councillors looting this nation thru the dysfunctional LGA system

They are currently tied to the aprons of the state governors and most of them are not even elected. So if you have any query on performance by LGAs you should direct them to the over "oversight" supervisory governors, don't you think
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by anonimi: 1:52pm On Oct 24, 2014
omenka:
Their opposition to LG autonomy is the greatest hypocrisy yet from the governors. They lobby for complete autonomy of their respective states yet don't want the LGAs to be autonomous. Perhaps it would have made more sense if the bill had sought to eliminate the FG's financial obligations to the LGs altogether, that way, they would stop being the cash cows they've been for the state governors and the political parties.

The only purpose served by the LGs as they stand today is just to finance Parties'/ governors' social activities and a platform to reward party loyalists and friends of governors.

I am pro LG autonomy, pro state autonomy, pro INEC autonomy, pro resource control, pro federalism
, pro Buhari and pro APC.

Was, am, and will be anti PDP (at least for the foreseeable future).

I don highlight the main areas of your post wey I share with you wink
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by beejaay: 2:47pm On Oct 24, 2014
ChimaAdeoye:

Exactly !

why would they embark on street building, gutter constructing and other you named when they dont have access to their fund, they are left to the whims and caprice of the governors.

if you want to know how local govt are being run now then you should revert back to your community and ask the type of power the chairman have now..they are more useless than church rat
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by EMANY01(m): 4:05pm On Oct 24, 2014
barcanista:
The Local government need 100% Autonomy and not tied to the string of Any Governor. It is a shame that governors now see LG as an appendice of their government. For God's sake LG officials are "supposed" to be elected, they shouldn't be at the mercies of the governors. They should stand on their own. LG's should be positioned to offer democratic dividends without recourse to the Governor. This act by the governors is absolutely unacceptable and shall be resisted.
Completely agree with every word you wrote.
[size=2pt] Glad to see we still have something we agree on[/size]

1 Like

Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by omenka(m): 4:34pm On Oct 24, 2014
anonimi:

I don highlight the main areas of your post wey I share with you wink
K
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by anonimi: 4:39pm On Oct 24, 2014
beejaay:

why would they embark on street building, gutter constructing and other you named when they dont have access to their fund, they are left to the whims and caprice of the governors.

And that is why we should MOBILISE public opinion for this LGA autonomy amendment to pass.
Then our LGAS can do what they are constitutionally RESPONSIBLE for instead of simply bootlicking the state governors.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 24, 2014
LG autonomy is misguided. States should have full legislative powers to create and regulate LGs.
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by beejaay: 5:54pm On Oct 24, 2014
ProfCorruption:
LG autonomy is misguided. States should have full legislative powers to create and regulate LGs.
u truely represent your name

you are really a professor of corruption...yeye dey smell

2 Likes

Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 24, 2014
I support Local Government Autonomy 101%!

1 Like

Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by Mowire: 6:29pm On Oct 24, 2014
What really is LG autonomy, in the context of the constitution and concept of true federalism?

What constitutional powers do the Federal legislative houses have over the administration of LGs?

What the terms of this proposed autonomy: Is it go to Abuja to collect allocations from incomes not generated by the LGs or a right for the LGs to generate incomes and freely manage what they generate?

The questions can be endless. But unless the national assembly take the parts that put legislations and supervision of LGs under state houses of assembly and government respectively from the constitution; and go the full hug and a unitary constitution for the country, this particular autonomy stand is contradiction and mere grandstanding.op

This amendment will not be endorsed by any state assembly (mark my word). The NA ought to know they're just wasting time.

LG autonomy campaigners are presently not seeking their own interest and not necessarily those of masses.
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by greaterlove(m): 6:39pm On Oct 24, 2014
I have always supported local government autonomy and I will continue to support it 100%.
We want local government autonomy it will bring government closer to the people.
Mods please front page.

1 Like

Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by Nobody: 6:45pm On Oct 24, 2014
Mowire:
What really is LG autonomy, in the context of the constitution and concept of true federalism?

What constitutional powers do the Federal legislative houses have over the administration of LGs?

What the terms of this proposed autonomy: Is it go to Abuja to collect allocations from incomes not generated by the LGs or a right for the LGs to generate incomes and freely manage what they generate?

The questions can be endless. But unless the national assembly take the parts that put legislations and supervision of LGs under state houses of assembly and government respectively from the constitution; and go the full hug and a unitary constitution for the country, this particular autonomy stand is contradiction and mere grandstanding.op

This amendment will not be endorsed by any state assembly (mark my word). The NA ought to know they're just wasting time.

LG autonomy campaigners are presently not seeking their own interest and not necessarily those of masses.

People like you need to make more comments on Nairaland. You have a good head on your shoulders.
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by anonimi: 7:38pm On Oct 24, 2014
ProfCorruption:

You forgot to add that the states should also NOT expect any federal allocation to their LGAs. That is FAIR, isn't it
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by Nobody: 8:32pm On Oct 24, 2014
anonimi:

You forgot to add that the states should also NOT expect any federal allocation to their LGAs. That is FAIR, isn't it

I have a question for you. Should Nigeria be a federal or a unitary state?
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by anonimi: 8:48pm On Oct 24, 2014
ProfCorruption:

I have a question for you. Should Nigeria be a federal or a unitary state?

Federal, each federating unit collects its revenue and pays agreed CONTRIBUTION for federal activities.
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by Nobody: 8:57pm On Oct 24, 2014
anonimi:

Federal, each federating unit collects its revenue and pays agreed CONTRIBUTION for federal activities.

Great. Only that the idea of a federally guaranteed LG autonomy contradicts it. Or do you foresee LGs sending revenues to the federal government?
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by anonimi: 9:15pm On Oct 24, 2014
ProfCorruption:

Great. Only that the idea of a federally guaranteed LG autonomy contradicts it. Or do you foresee LGs sending revenues to the federal government?

Depends on what the federating units are. If states federate into a country they decide how much of their own revenue to give the central government, while the LGAs also collect their own revenue from which a portion is paid to the state government.
What is ILLOGICAL is for states to expect the FG to pay for their created LGAs.
Na who wan be MUGU
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by greaterlove(m): 4:28am On Oct 25, 2014
anonimi:

Depends on what the federating units are. If states federate into a country they decide how much of their own revenue to give the central government, while the LGAs also collect their own revenue from which a portion is paid to the state government.
Na who wan be MUGU

You know this people can be impossible, they will resist anything just for resisting sake. If tomorrow the bill being discussed is to make nigeria a true federation they will still be the group kicking against it.
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by anonimi: 6:45am On Oct 25, 2014
greaterlove:

You know this people can be impossible, they will resist anything just for resisting sake. If tomorrow the bill being discussed is to make nigeria a true federation they will still be the group kicking against it.

Therefore those of us who understand the BENEFITS should engage & educate others until this good initiative is passed and becomes part of our laws.

We should be the change we want.
Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by cocoduck: 7:29am On Oct 25, 2014
anonimi:

Na who wan be MUGU
I don't believe that. it is the Feds that recognise or declines the LGA created by state governments they will be funded directly from the national treasury. these theives are protesting because they will no longer be able to get so much awoof money any more. corruption fights back when you try to fight it these theives have no human sympathy. the level of corruption at state levels combined is bigger then any thing done at the federal level I support lg autonomy because I know my LGA chairman and his family, even if they cover themselves with kevlar we will still be able to get them and punnish them because we grew up together we see each other almost every day, we have access to them any time any day not how we do now that even a small pot hole we have to wait till the theif say okay do this.
how on earth did they become united in a twinkle of an eye? because they are theives and want to continue stealing.

1 Like

Re: Lend Your Voice To Fight Gorvernors To Actualize Lg Autonomy by beejaay: 1:22pm On Oct 25, 2014
cocoduck:

I don't believe that. it is the Feds that recognise or declines the LGA created by state governments they will be funded directly from the national treasury. these theives are protesting because they will no longer be able to get so much awoof money any more. corruption fights back when you try to fight it these theives have no human sympathy. the level of corruption at state levels combined is bigger then any thing done at the federal level I support lg autonomy because I know my LGA chairman and his family, even if they cover themselves with kevlar we will still be able to get them and punnish them because we grew up together we see each other almost every day, we have access to them any time any day not how we do now that even a small pot hole we have to wait till the theif say okay do this.
how on earth did they become united in a twinkle of an eye? because they are theives and want to continue stealing.

so on point....LG Chairmen dare not be corrupt as the governors, they will bear the brunt immediately from the community. If we want real democracy and development then LG autonomy should be encouraged and sustained.

MOD please take this to the front page for better support and input from people.....seun pls we need this on frontpage

(1) (2) (Reply)

Military Show Of Force around Nigeria cities Pictures / Breaking News Violence In Rivers State!!! / Throw Back Pictures Of Gowon, Ojukwu And Ankrah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.