Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,063 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students (15133 Views)

Thread for Petroleum Engineers, Both Fresh Graduates And Experienced / Thread For Microbiologists, Both Graduates And Experienced. / B.sc Ed Graduates And A B.sc Graduate. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by Davedavy: 11:18pm On Apr 28, 2017
I studied Industrial Chemistry in Nigeria, M.Eng in Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology as well as M.Eng in Environmental Engineering from Europe. I have worked as a Quality Control Chemist, Manufacturing/Production Chemist, Environmental Chemist and presently work as a Process Engineer.

Chemistry is a very broad and interesting career. I really love the environmental aspect, if you love working in the field this is for you, you'll be involved in taking measurements, interpreting data, and using computers to model chemical fate and transport. Lab work is also involved you'll analyze chemical relationships or interactions.

If however you do not like outdoor and interacting with others, working as a quality control chemist or in r and d in the lab will be a better option for you. You'll need to have very good wet chemistry skills as well as ability to use most modern lab analytical instruments such as HPLC, karl fisher auto titrator, uv spectrophotometer etc. If you are in R and D lab, you will be formulating product prototypes and evaluating them for chemical and physical properties as well as scale-ups from prototype to commercial manufacture.

Manufacturing/Production chemist is also a very interesting career. As a production chemist, you are responsible for production of compliant, quality products. You'll need a very good knowledge of cGMP, good knowledge of production process, technical expertise on the manufacturing process, attention to detail and proactive behaviour.

Here in US, salaries for chemist typically start from $41,000 and go up to $125,450 while for a chemical engineer salaries typically start from $59,000 and go up to $157,160.

2 Likes

Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by Ababadada: 5:52am On Apr 29, 2017
Davedavy:
I studied Industrial Chemistry in Nigeria, M.Eng in Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology as well as M.Eng in Environmental Engineering from Europe. I have worked as a Quality Control Chemist, Manufacturing/Production Chemist, Environmental Chemist and presently work as a Process Engineer.

Chemistry is a very broad and interesting career. I really love the environmental aspect, if you love working in the field this is for you, you'll be involved in taking measurements, interpreting data, and using computers to model chemical fate and transport. Lab work is also involved you'll analyze chemical relationships or interactions.

If however you do not like outdoor and interacting with others, working as a quality control chemist or in r and d in the lab will be a better option for you. You'll need to have very good wet chemistry skills as well as ability to use most modern lab analytical instruments such as HPLC, karl fisher auto titrator, uv spectrophotometer etc. If you are in R and D lab, you will be formulating product prototypes and evaluating them for chemical and physical properties as well as scale-ups from prototype to commercial manufacture.

Manufacturing/Production chemist is also a very interesting career. As a production chemist, you are responsible for production of compliant, quality products. You'll need a very good knowledge of cGMP, good knowledge of production process, technical expertise on the manufacturing process, attention to detail and proactive behaviour.

Here in US, salaries for chemist typically start from $41,000 and go up to $125,450 while for a chemical engineer salaries typically start from $59,000 and go up to $157,160.

I am currently doing my postgraduate study in Ahmadu Bello University Zaira Environmental Chemistry
Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by opeaceo: 8:26am On Apr 29, 2017
jaymejate:

I thought they stopped it
Nope, but getting a job with such degree could b quite difficult, so I heard.
Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by opeaceo: 8:30am On Apr 29, 2017
Davedavy:

How possible was it for you to get a job with the switching of degrees? I heard in Nigeria, it's quite difficult to get a good job when you switch over from a degree to another, you won't be regarded as an engineer and you're restricted to your chem degree.
Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by Magjoel(m): 9:05am On Apr 29, 2017
opeaceo:

Yes it is possible.
Thanks you very much
Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by Magjoel(m): 9:18am On Apr 29, 2017
Davedavy:

Thanks very much, your post has inspired me wink
Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by Davedavy: 3:58pm On Apr 29, 2017
opeaceo:

How possible was it for you to get a job with the switching of degrees? I heard in Nigeria, it's quite difficult to get a good job when you switch over from a degree to another, you won't be regarded as an engineer and you're restricted to your chem degree.

I had to take some undergraduate Chem Engineering courses.There's definitely a cultural difference between core sciences and engineering but my experience has been positive. I got a job with the company I interned with. Once you have some experience under your belt, you are good to go. I have no idea how it works in Nigeria though.

1 Like

Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by Davedavy: 4:09pm On Apr 29, 2017

Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by Davedavy: 4:20pm On Apr 29, 2017
Ababadada:
I am currently doing my postgraduate study in Ahmadu Bello University Zaira Environmental Chemistry

Nice, I am sure you are enjoying the course. I worked briefly for a bio-gas company in Europe, very positive experience.
Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by Ababadada: 2:23am On Apr 30, 2017
Davedavy:

Nice, I am sure you are enjoying the course. I worked briefly for a bio-gas company in Europe, very positive experience.
Yes I am enjoying the course. I work briefly with Fugro in Nigeria . I like field work
Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by jaymejate: 4:01pm On May 06, 2017
nice one
Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by Tsavza(m): 4:00am On May 08, 2017
Pls what office jobs are available for one that studied chemistry, and what can he/she study?
Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by opeaceo: 8:19pm On May 09, 2017
Tsavza:
Pls what office jobs are available for one that studied chemistry, and what can he/she study?

What do you mean by office jobs and or study?

If you mean career prospects for chem graduates - research analysts, phram/medicinal chemists, forensic chemists, production chemist, the list is quite long.

1 Like

Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by NeonDee(m): 2:31pm On Aug 04, 2018
Let's continue this reaction path-way......
#BuddingChemist
Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by FranklyFrank9: 6:10am On Mar 16, 2020
[color=#000099][/color]what about pure Chemistry , how is life after school for them? Are they really low job opportunities for them compared to an Industrial Chemist
Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by Siberia01(m): 9:52am On Jun 10, 2020
angry about to go for IT.
where can i get a nice place,
also looking for intern outside this shithole
Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by Siberia01(m): 9:53am On Jun 10, 2020
FranklyFrank9:
[color=#000099][/color]what about pure Chemistry , how is life after school for them? Are they really low job opportunities for them compared to an Industrial Chemist

depends on what you major

chemistry is versatile
Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by broisrael(m): 10:59am On Jun 11, 2020
Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by broisrael(m): 11:17am On Jun 11, 2020
Re: Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students by lordally(m): 3:50pm On Sep 27, 2020
Davedavy:

Good day sir I hope this meets you well...please I'm Alex and I read your comment on a threadsome years ago about Poland ...please I hope you wouldn't mind giving me a few minutes of your time cos I need to find something out from you please... would it be okay if I send you a mail I would be grateful...hoping to get your response

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

11 Things That Will Make You A Superstar Employee / 5 Things To Do Before You Quit The Job You Hate / 8 Kinds Of People Every Talented Person Need In Order To Succeed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.