Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,764 members, 7,824,203 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:31 AM

When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? (56998 Views)

How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) / Trailer Loses Tyre While Driving On Lagos Road This Morning / Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by colossus2: 10:03am On Oct 26, 2014
lonelydora:

And you think running with your car in a place like port harcourt will make them not to catch you at the next available holdup which you will meet in one minute.

Well I am not here to argue but to let you know this is what saved my uncle from being lynched. Ask any lawyer what the law says.

My brother man, if it happens just pray they burn the car.
But how far will you run? Let's say the nearest police station is over 2,000km.
Imagine an adult abandoning his car only to start running....effin' hilarious cheesy
Pray make dem no catch you because that kain adrenaline no go dey wen 20people dey pursue 1 man grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by chucky234(m): 10:21am On Oct 26, 2014
Funny thread filled with hilarious comments.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 10:55am On Oct 26, 2014
Actually people it is very very possible to drive without using the Horn in Nigeria. I hardly ever use my horn when driving... EVER!!! I used to be a sales rep on the road 24-7, plus now I'm regularly on the road with my own car. It's just all in the mindset and developing a habit of patience. The Nigerian psyche has so f4cked with our mind that we're always in a hurry, can't form simple queues etc. When I'm on the steering, I just take it easy, allow those in Russia to do their thing and afterwards come through like a boss. Some seconds of patience... Waiting never killed. Try it today, if you die please let me know so I'll make a donation to your fam ;-)

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by justi4jesu(f): 11:48am On Oct 26, 2014
Very funny thread, the guy that said he will run, hmmmm except you are faster than Usain Bolt else... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by colossus2: 2:08pm On Oct 26, 2014
justi4jesu:
Very funny thread, the guy that said he will run, hmmmm except you are faster than Usain Bolt else... cheesy cheesy cheesy
If e like make e be Usain Nut, dem go use okada catch am grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by justi4jesu(f): 2:18pm On Oct 26, 2014
colossus2:

If e like make e be Usain Nut, dem go use okada catch am grin

Lol...

3 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by colossus2: 2:25pm On Oct 26, 2014
justi4jesu:

Lol...
Imagine say him dey run and people carry stone and plank dey pursue am, no be to give up immediately cheesy

5 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by An0nimus: 4:07pm On Oct 26, 2014
chukux2:
Actually people it is very very possible to drive without using the Horn in Nigeria. I hardly ever use my horn when driving... EVER!!! I used to be a sales rep on the road 24-7, plus now I'm regularly on the road with my own car. It's just all in the mindset and developing a habit of patience. The Nigerian psyche has so f4cked with our mind that we're always in a hurry, can't form simple queues etc. When I'm on the steering, I just take it easy, allow those in Russia to do their thing and afterwards come through like a boss. Some seconds of patience... Waiting never killed. Try it today, if you die please let me know so I'll make a donation to your fam ;-)

Would have doubted you if not a friend of mine is like this too. The guy will never honk his horn even if he sees someone about to cross the road without looking his way.

Not for me mehn. If I see a child playing close to the road. I honk. If the keke guy is forming Fast and Furious close to me. I honk. If that bus driver suddenly decides to park in the middle of the road for passengers. I honk. If I notice people talking and about to cross the road. I honk. And so on...

No be say I like noise but I need to get these people's attention before we hear say them shoot bird but the mama fly.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by uboma(m): 6:31pm On Oct 26, 2014
chukux2:

And what part of the country do you reside in?

3 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Ishilove: 7:56pm On Oct 26, 2014
armadeo:

U haven't seen anything yet. Before I even start my car I have pressed the horn.

Even when the car is parked I press the horn. Many mad people or people who have been killed by witches from their village are roaming the streets looking for who to physically complete the act.

I even get spare horn for booth that I can change myself.

On horn free day in Lagos I disconnected my horn in the morning but had to park and reconnect it.
Lmao!!! You can't drive in Lagos without horn. Mba, odikwa too risky grin

Cc: Seun, Mynd44, mukinatu, obinoscopy. People have to learn from this thread grin

2 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Ishilove: 8:03pm On Oct 26, 2014
ogawisdom:

Which driving sch frsc doesn't do driving test before giving any driver license so most ppl learn driving frm frnds n relatives.

Its impossible to drive without ur horn in nigeria its more like drivin in a very dark road without ur headlight on.

Wen we dey even use horn to greet ppl here grin

Nigeria is quite peculiar regardin driving in everyway most pedestrains ll cross d road wen dey shld nt wavin u n forcin u to stop as if dey r one GCFR while other ll walk in d road, traders also display their goods on d road forcin vehicles to use wateva is left of d road angry

Well I love nigeria with all my heart grin n I can't imagine living elsewhere grin its soo must fun living here tongue

Lmao!!@bolded. Popsie carry olympic gold medal for this. He will never wind down when driving but will rather honk the horn at you in greeting and drive past.

You should see the gentleman when honking the horn; his muscles practically bulge when he is leaning on that horn. He drove my sister's vehicle for a week and the horn disintegrated. His excuse is that Lagos drivers only understand the language of aggression cheesy grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Ishilove: 8:12pm On Oct 26, 2014
colossus2:

Imagine say him dey run and people carry stone and plank dey pursue am, no be to give up immediately cheesy
Na dat time manpikin go ginger. The fear of fuel, tyre and matches is the beginning of wisdom grin

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by chibwike(m): 8:33pm On Oct 26, 2014
if you run, you are in trouble..if you dont run, you are in trouble

4 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 12:23am On Oct 27, 2014
It's surprising how you guys say it's impossible to drive without a horn in Nigeria. I do that all the time. grin

The horn was removed a long time ago, for more than a year sef. grin

Back to the topic,

I no wan imagine that kain thing abeg.

That's why I'm usually very careful when driving. Whenever there's a particular area with a lot of people, especially in a market, I do not take that way. I don't mind wasting extra fuel than driving in such an area without a horn for that matter.

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by ogawisdom(m): 7:32am On Oct 27, 2014
justi4jesu:

Running will make it worse bc mob ll catch n beat u mercilessly as if u r a robber. Ur offence to them is nw double hit n run n God saves u if there r no old tires n fuel n a very mean mob bc u may b burnt alive esp if d person u hit died on d spot.

Driving off with ur car to d nearest police station is d best bet n pray u r nt halted by traffic in minutes.

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by vickyO(f): 9:33am On Oct 27, 2014
Ishilove:

Lmao! cheesy

My elder sister has changed her horn countless times. One particular time during traffic, she was in the process of honking it when it died, yet again. My sis said her voice turned to a horn that day. Whenever one of this crazy Lagos danfos came too close to her, she would immediately shriek at the top her voice "watch, watch!!" If the vehicles preceding were too slow in moving, or pedestrians were hesitant in crossing in front her vehicle, she would stick out her head out of the window and bawl "mooove!!". Very traumatic experience, according to her. grin

Even Dad has changed horns a couple times. He uses 'eba power' to honk that thing, because, according to him, "some people's case have already been concluded in the spirit realm. They are just looking for who will finish it up in the physical" and he refuses to be the scapegoat for such people. cheesy

This is hilarious..
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by vickyO(f): 9:39am On Oct 27, 2014
Ishilove:

Lmao!!! You can't drive in Lagos without horn. Mba, odikwa too risky grin

You could manage to get by in Abuja town without using your horn .... motorcycles have been banned in major roads, danfoes have been banned, pedestrian bridges are being constructed and the road network is getting better.. But in the outskirts e.g Zuba, Mararaba,e.t.c using your horn becomes a reflex action...

2 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by vickyO(f): 9:52am On Oct 27, 2014
I remember my brother asking this same question and my response was that, I'll run.

If the situation was better in Nigeria I might get down to help. But now in Nigeria, people do anything for cash. You don't know if hoodlums are waiting nearby to lynch you (me being barely 5ft 2in gives them the upper hand) the instant you set your feet on the road. So I'll just call an emergency line, report the accident and location. Driving might pose a great challenge as I might be shaky but one's got to survive..

2 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by ogawisdom(m): 9:11am On Oct 28, 2014
vickyO:

You could manage to get by in Abuja town without using your horn .... motorcycles have been banned in major roads, danfoes have been banned, pedestrian bridges are being constructed and the road network is getting better.. But in the outskirts e.g Zuba, Mararaba,e.t.c using your horn becomes a reflex action...

Even in Abj its difficult, naija na naija except highbro streets sha
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 28, 2014
omo na to discharge o before angry mobs wen dey vex say dem never eat since morning unleach their anger for my body. d way i go take run self ehn red flash go salute me.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by AJOT99(m): 12:12pm On Oct 28, 2014
I don't even want to imagine it.

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Oct 28, 2014
It depends...If you hit someone or even a goat in kogi state run for your dear life, don't stop at all .....
If u hit someone in a couple of select urban cities in nigeria like Abuja, Lagos and port harcourt(I don't mean Aluu in rivers state) you should stop and try see if lives can be saved ,then yall should proceed to a police station (I don't mean them container police posts )....
I don tire to explain sef...I'm Out here

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Justyce(m): 12:17pm On Oct 28, 2014
ramdris:
If u r Sure d person died, don't stop bt rather drive to d nearest police station and report yourself cos stopping might get u mobbed. Bt if u feel d person is still alive,stop and take to d nearest hospital and Later report to the nearest police station as well.
. Yea but what if your case becomes that of the man who was lynched even after he ran to a nearby police station.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by veraiyke(m): 12:19pm On Oct 28, 2014
Save d person if u can. If d hit person is dead it will b good one report to the police n law court. Dnt go to d police alone to avoid u running into trouble. Nigeria is so corrupt n justice is meaningless most times dat I am tempted to say dat if d person is dead maybe one should drive n run. Pray for God's forgiveness. Yes I know dat is wrong bt tink abt it in most cases dem hu do d right thing by givn in demselves r usually jailed on hard labour for a long time n more often are killed.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by musaibnabdul(m): 12:19pm On Oct 28, 2014
In Nigeria, first thing to do is park and rush the victims to nearest hospital. If you try to run you would be lynched. Just hope you didn't you don't have the accident at a crowded area. Because then you are on your own.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by jbaby265(f): 12:20pm On Oct 28, 2014
pray not to fall into such temptation..coz its d hand work of d devil
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by pinkycute(f): 12:21pm On Oct 28, 2014
Front page #Activated grin
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 28, 2014
hmm.....just pray it does not happen at the wrong place ,and the right time lipsrsealed...
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by lawrenceunaa: 12:26pm On Oct 28, 2014
I don't k w what to do undecided
Both running and reporting aint safe undecided

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Oct 28, 2014
Wen u r responsible for u actions, nd u man up to face whatever thing dat happens to u, even God who sees all, will forgive you off ur sins....
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 28, 2014
When run into d police station, ensure ur locked up in d cell asap, or u enter d cell n lock ursef, don't come out oo, let dem break d cell. Otherwise run 2d nearest army division an make sure ur inside d compound.

5 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by tobaflexy1984: 12:28pm On Oct 28, 2014
The victim should report him or her self to police immediately,instead of running away

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Crushed To Death This Afternoon In Benin City (viewers Discretion Advised) / You'll Never Forget To Use Your Seatbelt Even In The Back Seat After Seeing This / Man Crashes A Borrowed Benz In Delta (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.