Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,019 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? (32411 Views)

Who Is Nigeria’s Greatest Number 5? / Loic Remy Refused Number-9 Shirt. / Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Gorrbachev: 3:58pm On Oct 25, 2014
I remember when Yekini dislocated a goal-keeper's finger with a shot in one of the nations cup games, i can't remember the team.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by ukandi1(m): 3:59pm On Oct 25, 2014
PDF:
Wouldn't even call Kanu a No 9!

exactly my opinion too
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by dabossman(m): 4:00pm On Oct 25, 2014
kenex4ever:
bros y r u pained over a simple opinion? As for me Yekini is the best no9 and he is more of a ronaldo player dat scores tap-ins( though ronaldo is far more diversified) while kanu is more of a messi type because he creates chances(kanu is a false nine). Yekini is sometimes proud because he celebrate goals as if he is d only player on d field dat was y d team mates stopped passing d ball to him at a time(roben and baloteli do this too). I summary YEKINI is d best no9 by far but if not for kanu's heart surgery dat reduced his efficiency he would have scored more goals because he is a smarter player.

Ronaldo mainly scores tap-ins? And Yekini too? Seriously? Please stop telling us stories you heard growing up. We saw these players ball. Don't come here and rewrite history on hearsay. Yekinini celebrates his goals alone? So when a player scores a goal, he is the one who runs to his teammates or the other way round. When Yekini created a goal for Amokachi against Bulgaria, did he wait for Amokachi to come and hug him, or did he not run to the corner flag to celebrate with the Bull where he was busy dancing?

I think a lot of Nigerians think flair is the greatest skill a footballer can have. Sadly flair is not the number one quality you are looking for in a striker. Yekini scored all sorts of goals. You don't do that if you are not smart.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by rashygenius: 4:00pm On Oct 25, 2014
[quote author=Veneto81 post=27435343] Who is Nigeria's greatest Number 9.

I think is Kanu Nwankwo ?[/quote
Oga kanu no b 9..Kanu is a supporting striker.he plays frm positn 8.when it comes to laurels..Kanu is d greatest but when it comes to breaking records with goals i.e highest goal scorer,1st world cup goal etc... U shld knw d name now

KING RASHIDI YEKINI

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Tolexander: 4:02pm On Oct 25, 2014
arsetalks:
His style of play was such that others work for him, he contributes zero to the team's general play.

Point mene like Izaghi and Yekini himself won't succeed in today's game.
no, i won't enroll in your school of thought on this.

These days, there are many goals scored and many assists created. If the box 18 strikers aren't there, who will be scoring the assists.

Chicharito and every other 18yards strikers are still scoring. If many of these strikers are taking there chances they will definitely be at the top of the goal chat.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by brixton: 4:04pm On Oct 25, 2014
Veneto81:
Who is Nigeria's greatest Number 9.

I think is Kanu Nwankwo ?

Kanu can NOT be in the top 5 greatest 9 of Nigeria (thats if we even used him as a 9). Do you know Kanu never scored in any tourney for the super Eagles in his entire career?
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by rashygenius: 4:07pm On Oct 25, 2014
Mrkuvuki:
This is a tough one ....its between Kanu and Rashidi Yekini
deres notin tough,oga
...when it comes to goal scoring in d national team.it is Rashidi yekini,even after yekini,it's nt kanu..dere re odas like Aiyegbeni,Martins,Ik uche,Osaze Agahowa,den Kanu
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by cooltony09: 4:09pm On Oct 25, 2014
Unfortunately,The Greatest no 9 is yet to be born.. tongue
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by dabossman(m): 4:10pm On Oct 25, 2014
arsetalks:
His style of play was such that others work for him, he contributes zero to the team's general play.

Point mene like Izaghi and Yekini himself won't succeed in today's game.

Yet Diego Costa is succeeding. Talk another one.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by kobikwelu(m): 4:17pm On Oct 25, 2014
Rashidi Yekini!!!!

Kanu was not a 9. Kanu was an 8
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Iyowuski: 4:20pm On Oct 25, 2014
Veneto81:
Who is Nigeria's greatest Number 9.

I think is Kanu Nwankwo ?

greatest player or greatest number 9?......for me kanu is none
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Ayosh(m): 4:25pm On Oct 25, 2014
StarBoard:

You are a certified FOOL and dunce! Go and drink blood tonic so your brain can work because it looks like what you have in your skull is spoilt cold pap.

Kanu who never scored in an AFCON or World Cup is whom you are giving Nigeria s best striker against Nigeria's all-time scorer.

I wonder who swore for you in your village for you to be talking like an I.diot in public. It would have been better if you walked the streets of your neighbourhood naked than type this nonsense
bros take am easy na! Shooo! The guy offend u before now? We all know he's wrong but he didn't deserve that kinda derogatory outpouring from you. Abegi it's not a crime to be wrong!
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by stigman(m): 4:33pm On Oct 25, 2014
tuffgongjo:
was Kanu a Point man?

Good question
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by clemzo101(m): 4:34pm On Oct 25, 2014
tuffgongjo:
was Kanu a Point man?
my broda abeg help me ask am oooo
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by dabossman(m): 4:35pm On Oct 25, 2014
hardbody:
Yekini was a good scorer and had a knack for it but he was skill-less and couldn't quite ever work out a goal let alone produce assists. Kanu although he was not knocking in goals scored brilliant goals arising from uncanny sense of ball juggling. Please review his equalizer with brazil during d olympics and notice how he raised the ball in a goal mouth melee before blasting away. As for yekini scoring our first wc goal, even my grandmother will not miss that pin point cross.

He was scoring goals fed him by others. He tried though but was very dumb at constructing a goal.

Yekini was skill-less? You obviously don't know what you are saying. Prolific goalscoring in itself is a skill. What many of you term as skill is usually flair; the body movements, step-overs, ball juggling, flicks etc. Those things that make you shout "hee!". But that doesn't win games, goals do. And to say Yekine didn't create or make assists means you really didn't see him play much. He had at least two assists at USA 94.

Also there are different kinds of strikers. You have the complete forward, the poacher, the target man, the advanced forward, the deep lying forward and even the Trequartista. Each of hese types have different skill sets. The number one skill every strike needs though is Finishing. Then you now look at other things like Composure in front of goal, technique, anticipation, pace, acceleration, off the ball movement, strength etc. Flair is usually not a major pre-requisite for strikers. You leave flair to attacking midfielders, especially does who sit in the hole behind the main strikers. That is what Kanu was.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Osode: 4:38pm On Oct 25, 2014
YEKINI
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 25, 2014
Goke7:
Kanu the best number 9? na wao All these children we have nowadays sef on this forum, e be like say na dem full nff and the sports media, later one pikin sef go say onazi be the best number 10.

I think this blasphemous thread should be deleted
my broda I tire ,the other day one brat was saying Okocha was over-hyped,I just ignored the thread

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 25, 2014
xtervaganza:
Segun Odegbami was a winger

Thank you....tho he did behave like a no 9 sometimes grin

Thanks anyway
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by WoodcrestMayor(m): 5:13pm On Oct 25, 2014
All these shindren on nairaland sef undecided

I'm positive he didn't witness first-hand d raw power of Yekini.If he did,he wuldnt av even debated the topic in his head.

This is tantamount to sacrilege angry

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by WoodcrestMayor(m): 5:25pm On Oct 25, 2014
Guy u sabi!

76 likes for dis
dabossman:

Yekini was skill-less? You obviously don't know what you are saying. Prolific goalscoring in itself is a skill. What many of you term as skill is usually flair; the body movements, step-overs, ball juggling, flicks etc. Those things that make you shout "hee!". But that doesn't win games, goals do. And to say Yekine didn't create or make assists means you really didn't see him play much. He had at least two assists at USA 94.

Also there are different kinds of strikers. You have the complete forward, the poacher, the target man, the advanced forward, the deep lying forward and even the Trequartista. Each of hese types have different skill sets. The number one skill every strike needs though is Finishing. Then you now look at other things like Composure in front of goal, technique, anticipation, pace, acceleration, off the ball movement, strength etc. Flair is usually not a major pre-requisite for strikers. You leave flair to attacking midfielders, especially does who sit in the hole behind the main strikers. That is what Kanu was.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by mfm04622: 5:32pm On Oct 25, 2014
eesy:
Who is nigeria's greatest number 9?
Ehm... Well, I think it should be...ehm...me. grin
Seriously I dont think there is any greatest number 9 in the super eagles, kanu, Yekini and the rest are great number 9's and there is nothing like the greatest amongs them they are all great and skillful in their own ways.

Guess you were not born when Rashidi Yekini was performing! There is no need for argument. Statistics show clearly that Rashidi is the leading goal scorers for Nigeria. Is goal to game ratio is also the highest. So what are we arguing about?
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by arsetalks(m): 5:32pm On Oct 25, 2014
dabossman:

Yet Diego Costa is succeeding. Talk another one.
With the whole of Chelsea's midfield working for him. Which other striker in his mould is working? Plus Costa can hold up the ball, Yekini can't.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by aspirebig: 5:34pm On Oct 25, 2014
Kanu was never Nigeria's number 9.

Kanu was number 8.

So his name should not even come up here.

Going by records, Rashidi Yekini should be Naija's best 9.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by emmanjnr(m): 5:40pm On Oct 25, 2014
Mrkuvuki:
This is a tough one ....its between Kanu and Rashidi Yekini
Its not tough, Rashidi Yekini of blessed memory is the man
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Malawian(m): 5:41pm On Oct 25, 2014
rashidi yekini. no contest.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Abee79(m): 5:47pm On Oct 25, 2014
Rashidi Yekini (Before he became selfish by celebrating a goal alone inside the goal post. That marked the end of his glorious days. His team mates 'punished' him by deliberately not supplying him with passes even when Yekini was strategically positioned to score. It also marked the end of the prosperity of the Super Eagles...).
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by hardbody: 5:56pm On Oct 25, 2014
StarBoard:

You are a certified FOOL and dunce! Go and drink blood tonic so your brain can work because it looks like what you have in your skull is spoilt cold pap.

Kanu who never scored in an AFCON or World Cup is whom you are giving Nigeria s best striker against Nigeria's all-time scorer.

I wonder who swore for you in your village for you to be talking like an I.diot in public. It would have been better if you walked the streets of your neighbourhood naked than type this nonsense

I respect mature people who can counter and produce stronger argument to beat a point in an argument, but this is exactly the opposite of what u are capable of. Raining abuses and insults without one strong point in your favour tells me the depth of your wisdom and i am well advised not yo join issues with 'brilliant' stars like you. Have a good evening.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 25, 2014
Rasheedi monkeyni....sorry Yekini.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by dinggle: 5:58pm On Oct 25, 2014
Abeg any body when say Kanu around you give that person knock. You go blame dem? people when no spend 1 kobo, dem no dey wen Ghanaians dey pack deisha for store like say e go finish tomorrow, dem no dey wen Ghana women carry ashawo come Nigeria, dem no dey wen primary 6 students dey get beards and old leg bones, dem no dey wen 3 bed flat be N20/month, how dem wan take remember Rashidi Yekini?

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by hensben(m): 6:05pm On Oct 25, 2014
hardbody:
Yekini was a good scorer and had a knack for it but he was skill-less and couldn't quite ever work out a goal let alone produce assists. Kanu although he was not knocking in goals scored brilliant goals arising from uncanny sense of ball juggling. Please review his equalizer with brazil during d olympics and notice how he raised the ball in a goal mouth melee before blasting away. As for yekini scoring our first wc goal, even my grandmother will not miss that pin point cross.

He was scoring goals fed him by others. He tried though but was very dumb at constructing a goal.
how skills take concern no 9, he is there to be assisted n score goals not leg overs
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Oct 25, 2014
hardbody:

I respect mature people who can counter and produce stronger argument to beat a point in an argument, but this is exactly the opposite of what u are capable of. Raining abuses and insults without one strong point in your favour tells me the depth of your wisdom and i am well advised not yo join issues with 'brilliant' stars like you. Have a good evening.
next time think with your head.

I pointed out that Kanu doesnt have a GOAL at AFCON or the Mundial for him to be even considered in this argument.
Apparently you are blind as well to also see where I mentioned that Yekini was Naija's all time scoring leader and in your vacuous state you rush to accuse me of not arguing with a strong point.

Next time put your thoughts in order before spewing rubbish in a public forum.
Thank you
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 25, 2014
hensben:
how skills take concern no 9, he is there to be assisted n score goals not leg overs
help me ask him.
It is only in Nigeria that people will manufacture other reasons besides the obvious facts staring them in the face and start forcing it as opinion.
Yekini has no business with foitwork. His mission is to score goals and he did that fairly efficiently.

Kanu with his leg overs has a glorified u23 competition as his claim to fame. No goals at AFCON after 6 competitions yet he is the best 9 we produced.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Germany Vs Nigeria (U-20 World Cup) [3 -2] Ouch! / Ronaldo Equals Puskás's International Record / Deborah Pam And Iliya Pam Win Ibadan City Marathon 2018 (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.