Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,176 members, 7,821,985 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

An Interview With Buhari: I Don't Fear Bokoharam - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Interview With Buhari: I Don't Fear Bokoharam (535 Views)

Igbo, The Lost Black Jewish Tribe. Don't Fear My Brothers, We Shall Conquer! / Saraki And NASS Members Meet With Buhari (Photos) / Jonathan To Buhari, I Am Ready For Probe. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Interview With Buhari: I Don't Fear Bokoharam by Sirniyeh(m): 10:11pm On Oct 25, 2014
www.economist.com/blogs/baobab/2011/03/nigerias_elections

Baobab met General Buhari at his residence
in Abuja, the capital. Wearing a simple white
caftan and a traditional fez-style cap,
he discussed his past and the upcoming polls.

Baobab: Some Nigerians are wary of voting
for a one-time strict military ruler. How do
you defend your past to your critics?
Muhammadu Buhari: Whether I was strict
under military rule, or whether I am docile
under the democratic system, is dictated by
the system itself. I just try to operate in the
system in which I find myself...I feel very
strongly about certain issues—indiscipline and
corruption—so people say I have been harsh
and uncompromising...But, if you read the
law, you will see that Nigerian law does not
accept corruption. Why should someone be
accused of being strict if he maintains fighting
corruption?

Baobab: Many Nigerians remember your
1980s regime for its attempts to stamp out
government corruption. Thirty years on, how
is Nigeria doing on this front?

MB: It's even worse. We used to have a Nigerian shipping line, Nigerian airways, Nigerian railways, and better roads...If you look at what the state has earned over the last
12 years, versus the state of our
infrastructure, then it will hit you how
wasteful and corrupt the ruling party has
been...It's worse than not being productive;
it's destructive.

Baobab: You unsuccessfully ran for president against the PDP in previous elections in 2003 and 2007. Why are you confident this time?

MB: In 2003, we were rigged out and we were in court for 13 months. Again, in 2007, by the observation of international teams and our own local teams, it was a non-election. I was in court for 20 months...But this year we have a change in INEC [Nigeria's electoral commission]. The new chairman is a man of personal and professional integrity. We are also sending a clear message to INEC that we will not accept rigging. We are mobilising people to defend their votes.

Baobab: Do you regret any of your strict decrees as a military ruler—such as executing drug traffickers and banning strikes unless all negotiations had been exhausted?

MB: I don't believe those measures were too harsh at the time we took them, and in the context of the stability of our country...[drug traffickers] destroy our society and they want to destroy others' societies. We didn't need that and we executed them...Our economy could not afford those wildcat strikes. So we stopped them...We did those things for the good of the economy and the country.

Baobab: Are you now a convert to democracy? MB: Yes, but don't forget that since we started this democracy 12 years ago, it hasn't really worked as a democracy. But that doesn't mean it can't work. The CPC is here to make democracy work...I don't believe [anything else] is acceptable anymore to ordinary people. Nigerians have got the message after seeing what is happening in north Africa and
Re: An Interview With Buhari: I Don't Fear Bokoharam by Greatihex(m): 10:13pm On Oct 25, 2014
Meaning?
Re: An Interview With Buhari: I Don't Fear Bokoharam by Nobody: 10:56pm On Oct 25, 2014
Re: An Interview With Buhari: I Don't Fear Bokoharam by theassassin: 11:17pm On Oct 25, 2014
a cult capone dosen't fear his gang.

how can you fear your boys looser buhari/

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan’s Campaign Director, Haliru Mohammed, A Confirmed Bribe Taker / Buhari, A Great Leader? / I Didn’t Meddle In Oyo PDP Politics, Campaign For Ladoja – Mrs Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.