Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,138 members, 7,818,427 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog - Pets (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog (36588 Views)

Sarplaninac Vs Caucasian / Check Out Dis Adult Male Caucasian Dog! / Caucasian Dog In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by Eveezy(m): 5:12am On Oct 08, 2018
okikiosibodu:

Sadly true. We like to deceive ourselves in this part of the world. Many novice love big dogs with big bones, and "breeders" succumb to this by mixing all the mixables to give them big boned offsprings, compromising the dogs' health, and temperament in the process.
Millers springing forth too. Cos they have a dog and it litters, automatically they call themselves breeders. Many people don't even know there difference between a territorial dog, and an agressive one. Many of them use "agressive" to describe a trait the love in a dog, whereas they mean they want it to be territorial. No sane person will love an aggressive dog.
The guy on your thread placing an advert, has 99.9% the trait of a Miller, that is if he is not a scammer sef. One love big bro
Breeding for size is not just in this part of the world, it doesn't make them puppy Millers, there are different purposes for breeding, the fact that olumoadebayo breeds for security/sports or all those related doesn't make him the best breeder, and besides what he breeds is still what he imports from a breeder that breed for such purposes, undoubtedly Caucasians have recently been built for size ND head especially as showdogs, doesn't mean there aren't working Caucasians, some Gsd re built for shows as well, but there are still working Gsds, it doesn't make the ones that breed for looks any less a breeder
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by oluomoadebayo: 8:37am On Oct 08, 2018
Eveezy:

Breeding for size is not just in this part of the world, it doesn't make them puppy Millers, there are different purposes for breeding, the fact that olumoadebayo breeds for security/sports or all those related doesn't make him the best breeder, and besides what he breeds is still what he imports from a breeder that breed for such purposes, undoubtedly Caucasians have recently been built for size ND head especially as showdogs, doesn't mean there aren't working Caucasians, some Gsd re built for shows as well, but there are still working Gsds, it doesn't make the ones that breed for looks any less a breeder

I don't remember the last time I saw a good Rottweiler other than the "box head" syndrome or a Boerboel with a nerve of steel that can actually protect your home other than the big massive head or big bones structure BB. No one is claiming to be the best breeder but the point is, breeders should breed dogs close to what the breed represent. Temperament, health, size, etc.

The reason why most people are puppymillers is that they breed without even knowing what they are doing, no breeding plan or goal other than to make money, no pedigree references nor bloodline information. No proper documentation for each breeding that will help to improve the future breeding by monitoring the progress of the previous ones.

To be an ethical breeder, you need to have a proper breeding plan and stay in your lane. If you are breeding showline GSD or Rottie, let people know that is what you do instead of selling Nigeria version of GSD today and another version tomorrow.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by Eveezy(m): 9:24am On Oct 08, 2018
oluomoadebayo:

I don't remember the last time I saw a good Rottweiler other than the "box head" syndrome or a Boerboel with a nerve of steel that can actually protect your home other than the big massive head or big bones structure BB. No one is claiming to be the best breeder but the point is, breeders should breed dogs close to what the breed represent. Temperament, health, size, etc.

The reason why most people are puppymillers is that they breed without even knowing what they are doing, no breeding plan or goal other than to make money, no pedigree references nor bloodline information. No proper documentation for each breeding that will help to improve the future breeding by monitoring the progress of the previous ones.

To be an ethical breeder, you need to have a proper breeding plan and stay in your lane. If you are breeding showline GSD or Rottie, let people know that is what you do instead of selling Nigeria version of GSD today and another version tomorrow.
Lol @Nigerian version. No doubt we have puppy Millers ND backyard breeders ND there always will be, not only in Nigeria. Here in Nigeria we still have real breeders. Whatever deviation we may say we have in breed standard didn't start in Nigeria. And as for Rott, although their head structure may have been altered, there are still working rotts, there are rotts that will stand and take in whatever rigorous training a malinois will. I know u re very experienced in the K9 security field, but I know u will agree with me that there are also working line of other breeds, you only chose a malinois for one or more specific feature they possess dt d odaz dont.

Besides malinois is a relatively new breed
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by oluomoadebayo: 11:47am On Oct 08, 2018
Eveezy:

Lol @Nigerian version. No doubt we have puppy Millers ND backyard breeders ND there always will be, not only in Nigeria. Here in Nigeria we still have real breeders. Whatever deviation we may say we have in breed standard didn't start in Nigeria. And as for Rott, although their head structure may have been altered, there are still working rotts, there are rotts that will stand and take in whatever rigorous training a malinois will. I know u re very experienced in the K9 security field, but I know u will agree with me that there are also working line of other breeds, you only chose a malinois for one or more specific feature they possess dt d odaz dont.

Besides malinois is a relatively new breed

There is a lot of working dog and I only choose malinois because it's my favorite but there are no Rotts that will match the malinois in rigorous training.

Malinois may be new in Nigeria but it's older than most of the working breeds.

1 Like

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by Yababoy(m): 6:49pm On Oct 16, 2018
oluomoadebayo:

The sad thing is to find a reliable GSD now is close to impossible also. Too much of health issue and poor nerves are in this generation breeding. One of the reasons I stayed loyal to my Malinois is because of the superior health advantage.
Just wee curious, what do you mean by poor nerves?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by oluomoadebayo: 8:04pm On Oct 16, 2018
Yababoy:

Dogs with weak character.
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by Ogcruz: 11:00pm On Oct 16, 2018
Bro just buy a rottweiler
They are smart
Big
Shed less hair
Aggressive as hell (yet to see one that is not aggressive)
Loyal to the fault

Or you can get a rottweiler and German Shepard mix
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by Ogcruz: 11:07pm On Oct 16, 2018
And I'm yet to see an aggressive Caucasian shepherd o
But all the ones I've seen were not afraid of me....but were relaxed.
But many German Shepard dog in dn see Dr fear anyhow o
Even my female gsd de fear like mad
Sometimes she go de piss and shiver
I buy gsd bkos I think say dem de harsh o

Why I Neva sell her na bkos na female
She will give birth to puppies
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by Ogcruz: 11:12pm On Oct 16, 2018
BUT IF U INSIST ON GETTING ONE OF THE TWO DOGS
I WOULD ADVICE YOU TO GET A CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD O

GSD IS TOO MIXED THESE DAYS

EXCEPT YOU ARE GETTING ONE FROM A GOOD BREEDER

AND KNOW YOUR DOGS PARENTS

IF THEY ARE AGGRESSIVE AND BIG THE PUPPY WILL LIKELY TAKE AFTER ITS PARENTS
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by collinsfbi(m): 5:37am On Oct 17, 2018
I need a good trainer for my 2 CO, though they are about 13/14 weeks now and very big but they play with everybody even strangers. Someone said is because they are still young and I should let them know everybody first but if they countinue like this, they may end up fearful like normal bingos around.
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by Yababoy(m): 8:30am On Oct 17, 2018
oluomoadebayo:

Dogs with weak character.
Alright, I see. Like being shy and not displaying the intelligence and focus common with the breed, right?
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by oluomoadebayo: 9:07am On Oct 17, 2018
Yababoy:
Alright, I see. Like being shy and not displaying the intelligence and focus common with the breed, right?

Very correct.
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by chiboy1116: 11:53pm On Oct 17, 2018
collinsfbi:
I need a good trainer for my 2 CO, though they are about 13/14 weeks now and very big but they play with everybody even strangers. Someone said is because they are still young and I should let them know everybody first but if they countinue like this, they may end up fearful like normal bingos around.
ahah that dog still young na ...mehn ...not even up to 6mnths
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by okikiosibodu(m): 7:58pm On Oct 18, 2018
Ogcruz:

The abbreviations ruined the post
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by rumenase(m): 12:53am On Oct 19, 2018
collinsfbi:

fearful dogs don't play with people
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by rumenase(m): 12:55am On Oct 19, 2018
Ogcruz:

a Shepherd that is afraid to the extent of losing bladder control when there is no threat is definitely not pure.
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jul 02, 2019
yababoy:

cool
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by Rooneyflex: 2:11pm On Aug 31, 2019
chucky234:
I initially didnt want to reply you but if I dont your ignorance will get out of hand.
A wolf will have a GSD for lunch, GSD got no chance against the beastly Caucasian. Only APT and Kurdish Kangal will stand against the Caucasian, only a novice will pair GSD against Caucasian in a dog fight. The most powerful GSD known as Russian German Shephered Dog was bred from Caucasian, Caucasian dogs are regarded as wolfdogs or wolf killers.
lies bro
an ekuke once fought with a caucasian in my street and the ekuke seriously injured the caucasian and the owner of the caucasian carried his dog and left
the ekuke u guy are downgrading is strong enough to beat a caucasian
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by space9880: 12:21am On Sep 01, 2019
Rooneyflex:

lies bro
an ekuke once fought with a caucasian in my street and the ekuke seriously injured the caucasian and the owner of the caucasian carried his dog and left
yiu have not seen a Caucasian
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by IamAnderson(m): 9:05am On Sep 01, 2019
space9880:
yiu have not seen a Caucasian
don't mind him cheesy it's probably a puppy he saw fighting an adult ekuke or a very impure cauc. a pure bred adult cauc will have an ekuke for lunch

2 Likes

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by DutchNegro(m): 9:14am On Sep 01, 2019
oluomoadebayo:

Nice but a fully trained protection dog ranges between $10k to $30 000. It is not cheap.

But is there any place at all in this country Nigeria where one can be trained to become a qualified dog trainer?

Pls help!
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by IamAnderson(m): 9:24am On Sep 01, 2019
Rooneyflex:

lies bro
when my dog was 4 months old ekukes used to try to attack him when we're walking but since he turned 9 months old, they don't have mind to run up again.
they just stand from far and bark and if he comes closer, they go farther.
when he was 10 months old he chased an ekuke of 9 years away, like it ran so fast and went to look for it's owner cheesy.
the funny thing is that my dog isn't even aggressive towards them, he just wanted to check them out.
imagine what would have happened if he was a fully grown adult that wanted to attack them.
most times people misunderstand situations because of the size of the dog.
a cauc of 7 months can be bigger than an adult Alsatian which will automatically make people that don't know about the breed to assume it's an adult.
so if they see a cauc of 5-7 months losing a fight they'll come to nairaland and brag that they saw a cauc loose cheesy

and also this mentality of "the bigger the dog, the weaker or more docile it is" also fuels this thing.
a Caucasian might be big but that doesn't mean it's slow or docile, lions weigh more than twice their size but can you call a lion "big for nothing"?
and for somebody to say that Caucasians aren't aggressive shows that they don't know anything about the breed, they haven't even seen a pure bred or adult cauc before or they haven't had a confrontation with them.
some people think that because the dog let you touch it outside the compound or didn't immediately pounce on you outside the compound it isn't aggressive cheesy
if you want to know about the breed then ask the owners of the dogs or read up online from people that train or raise them.
"docile" or "weak" or "not aggressive" isn't in the vocabulary of words used to describe the breed.
don't come here to act like you know the breed just because of "one I saw in my street"

1 Like

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by IamAnderson(m): 10:31am On Sep 01, 2019
PAQ:

Caucasians Pros and Cons are;

CONS:
. Difficult to train for the inexperienced dog owners.
. Very aggressive and stubborn.
. Need regular grooming and ticks management.
. Expensive to maintain (feeding due to its size, medical bills).
. Barks alot and very loud.
. Difficult to take for walks if not properly trained cos it will walk u rather than u walking it.
. Needs regular exercise or can get bored and destructive (not a couch potatoe like mastifs)

PROS
. Better looking and more intimidating than an average GSD
. Great guard dog and 24hrs alarm system
. Less prone to hip dysplasia than a GSD.
. Great pain tolerance due to thick fur (it was bred to tackle wolves and bears, protect sheep).
. Independent dog, so it needs little to no training to be a guard dog, naturaly aloof with strangers, and territorial.

German Shepherd Pros and Cons;

Cons;
. If u go for the long coated GSD u will face the maintenance, grooming cost of the Caucasian.
. They bark alot too, but not just as loud as a CO.
. Due to poor breeding in Nigeria u may be unlucky to get an overly playful and fearful GSD that welcomes strangers.
. Prone to hip dysplasia, especially the slant back GSD.
. A GSD can never match the strenght, tolerance and guard instincts of a Caucasian. But they are still very strong dogs, a good GSD will not back down either.
. GSD also needs regular exercise.
. Pure breed GSD are hard & expensive to get, even in America, what u can get easily there are Alsatians, Shiloh shepherd and King shepherds (they are all similar to GSD but larger and straight backs).

PROS
. Very intelligent, easy to train, loyal and alert.
. Long coats are beautiful dogs but not fiercely looking.
. Not bred to be independent, so they will always be by ur side.
. Short coats are easier to groom and less costlier to maintain.
. A very good guard dog too, but not as good as a caucasian.
. A GSD can easily live indoors unlike a Caucasian.
. A GSD will hardly turn against its owner unlike a Caucasian, whom is more independent.

Both are great dogs, its just a matter of the owners experience and Choice. Most Caucasians in Nigeria are GSD cross, so u still get a little bit of both sides. If you are not experienced with a small space dont get a pure caucasian, u may regret it. A long coated GSD will turn heads and give u less stress. I had a Caucasian GSD mix, the best dog ever, but she sadly died last year.

this is actually the most unbiased comment on this thread.
the truth is that they are two different dogs.
it all depends on the type of guarding you want.
if you want a dog that'll work with you then go for a gsd, if you want a dog that'll eliminate any threat go for a cauc.
I'll admit gsds are more agile, easily trainable and get used to the urban life easier but the Caucasian is stronger, more aggressive, more independent and overall more lethal.

Caucasians aren't meant for this urban lifestyle, if you want the best for your cauc then let it roam around your fenced compound or farm, exercise it and watch it's instincts bloom.
you can't expect a dog that was bred to be a killer to live in a tiny kennel or with a chain on it's neck and with 30min- 1hr walks once or twice a week as it's only form of exercise to live up to it's expectations.
caucs can be trained to do a lot of things people think they can do also, because the gsd is more intelligent doesn't mean other dogs are retarded.
and forget all this aggression talk, a Caucasian is very docile and loving to it's family, they are only aggressive towards intruders and threats.
if you have a good relationship with your cauc it won't direct it's aggression to you.

the gsd is also a remarkable dog, I don't need to talk about their strengths because we are all familiar with it's work cheesy, but it's pure delusion if you think a gsd can do the work of a cauc(guarding prisons and farms from wild animals), a gsd just isn't strong enough and that's the truth.
the gsd is not a very powerful dog, it's agility is top notch but it doesn't match in strength.
same way a cauc cannot do the work of a gsd, a cauc cannot work with the military and obey orders and execute them as gracefully as a gsd.
they are two different dogs for two different purposes stop all this comparison.
they both have their strengths and weaknesses, choose the one that matches your lifestyle

2 Likes

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by vincentjk(m): 1:17pm On Sep 01, 2019
IamAnderson:

this is actually the most unbiased comment on this thread.
the truth is that they are two different dogs.
it all depends on the type of guarding you want.
if you want a dog that'll work with you then go for a gsd, if you want a dog that'll eliminate any threat go for a cauc.
I'll admit gsds are more agile, easily trainable and get used to the urban life easier but the Caucasian is stronger, more aggressive, more independent and overall more lethal.

Caucasians aren't meant for this urban lifestyle, if you want the best for your cauc then let it roam around your fenced compound or farm, exercise it and watch it's instincts bloom.
you can't expect a dog that was bred to be a killer to live in a tiny kennel or with a chain on it's neck and with 30min- 1hr walks once or twice a week as it's only form of exercise to live up to it's expectations.
caucs can be trained to do a lot of things people think they can do also, because the gsd is more intelligent doesn't mean other dogs are retarded.
and forget all this aggression talk, a Caucasian is very docile and loving to it's family, they are only aggressive towards intruders and threats.
if you have a good relationship with your cauc it won't direct it's aggression to you.

the gsd is also a remarkable dog, I don't need to talk about their strengths because we are all familiar with it's work cheesy, but it's pure delusion if you think a gsd can do the work of a cauc(guarding prisons and farms from wild animals), a gsd just isn't strong enough and that's the truth.
the gsd is not a very powerful dog, it's agility is top notch but it doesn't match in strength.
same way a cauc cannot do the work of a gsd, a cauc cannot work with the military and obey orders and execute them as gracefully as a gsd.
they are two different dogs for two different purposes stop all this comparison.
they both have their strengths and weaknesses, choose the one that matches your lifestyle

I like your write ups... Well explained

1 Like

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by MrrKay(m): 2:04pm On Sep 01, 2019
Well detailed Bro!! Meanwhile Happy Birthday to our Boy, nw Man (ROSCEO)
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by IamAnderson(m): 3:00pm On Sep 01, 2019
vincentjk:

I like your write ups... Well explained
thanks bro cheesy
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by IamAnderson(m): 3:01pm On Sep 01, 2019
MrrKay:
Well detailed Bro!! Meanwhile Happy Birthday to our Boy, nw Man (ROSCEO)
lol thank you for remembering cheesy he has been eating chicken throughout today for his birthday lol

1 Like

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by MrrKay(m): 3:29pm On Sep 01, 2019
Kudos. We'll be expecting birthday shot on his thread. Xena turned 5months today anyway.

1 Like

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by oluomoadebayo: 11:57am On Sep 04, 2019
DutchNegro:

But is there any place at all in this country Nigeria where one can be trained to become a qualified dog trainer?

Pls help!

It’s not a profitable business in Nigeria but I could help you if you can pay.

1 Like

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by DutchNegro(m): 3:15pm On Sep 04, 2019
oluomoadebayo:

Okay boss.

how do I connect you sir

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by DutchNegro(m): 5:48pm On Mar 26, 2020
oluomoadebayo:

Good day boss, I am still interested in becoming a proper dog trainer.

My contact is 09072097491
Re: Gsd Vs Caucasian Dog by MhizJoyce(f): 1:16pm On Mar 28, 2020
ethereal:
I've gt both of 'em but I prefer my GSD anyday!!!
Pls can you give me a gsd puppy? smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Just Killed A Green Snake In My Car. / 10 Reasons Why People Keep Gsd/Alsatian More Than Other Breeds / A Tale Of How You Were Chased By A Dog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.