Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,777 members, 7,817,201 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

10 Things To Avoid Doing When A Person Is convulsing - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Things To Avoid Doing When A Person Is convulsing (947 Views)

10 Things You Eat That Destroys Your Teeth And How To Deal With Them. / How To Avoid Pregnancy Naturally / Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things To Avoid Doing When A Person Is convulsing by boseko: 1:03pm On Nov 01, 2014
My job is to save lives. Yeah! I do that on a daily basis. I’ll like you to assist me with saving lives. Whose? you ask. Yours. Your friends. Your family. Or a total stranger.

“Get a spoon! Get onion! Carry him!” Those are the cries and shouts you hear when a person has a convulsion.

I wonder where people got these ideas as they are not helpful and are mostly injurious to the victim. It seems the knowledge is passed down from
generation to generation.

Well, permit me to break this tradition. I’ll tell you 10 things not to do when a person has a convulsion.

1. Do not panic. Keep your cool.
Keep calm. That’s very important. Though it looks scary, reassure people around. If the person has been having seizures before, it’s likely it will resolve in some minutes.

2. Don’t move the person.
The only exception is if the person is in a dangerous area. Otherwise, don’t carry the person. However, remove dangerous objects like stones, glass etc.

3. Don’t hold down.
Restraining the person movement can cause injury such as dislocating the shoulder. Or you might get a punch.

4. Don’t put a spoon or stick in the mouth.
Don’t put any object into the person’s mouth. There’s a myth that a person having a seizure can swallow the tongue. This is false. Putting objects in the mouth can chip the teeth. Or your finger could be bitten off. Cannibalism.

5. Don’t put feet in fire.
I wonder why people do this to a person that’s having a seizure. It has no benefit whatsoever. The burns that’ll occur on the other hand…..just don’t.

6. Don’t give herbal concoction or cow urine.
This is another one I can’t figure out why people do it. The dangers are numerous: the stuff can enter the lungs and kill the person, it can reduce blood sugar level.

7. Don’t beat up.
It’s not caused by an evil spirit. No need to beat it out.

8. Don’t give put onion or pepper in eyes.
Like seriously! Why do people do this?

9. Don’t ostracise or leave alone.
Seizures are not contagious. It’s a disease that can be treated. Don’t run away and leave the chap alone.

10. Don’t keep away from hospital.
Once the person is stable, he should be taken to a hospital if it is the first seizure, not on medications, lasts longer than 5 minutes, cannot be awakened, was injured or is pregnant.

Be a good Good Samaritan. Help when you want to help. Don’t harm a person in the name of helping.

Do you have questions? Feel free to ask.
Re: 10 Things To Avoid Doing When A Person Is convulsing by ayurdavid: 2:53pm On Nov 01, 2014
how can one help a victim going through seizure. what can be given to the person to stop it at that point in time.
Re: 10 Things To Avoid Doing When A Person Is convulsing by Gratia(f): 3:30pm On Nov 01, 2014
You just said what we shouldn't do, what then should we do in such situations?

In 2003 when I was a teenager my nephew died right in my room and presence as a result of convulsion because I was young and naive, I didn't know how to help him.

The incident still haunt me till date and here you are saying another thing without proffering any solution.
Re: 10 Things To Avoid Doing When A Person Is convulsing by boseko: 3:50pm On Nov 01, 2014
I understand the feeling. No matter how many times you see it, seeing a person convulsing looks scary. The truth is there is nothing you can do to stop the convulsion. It will either stop by itself or with medication. It is in an attempt to help, so as not to feel helpless, that people do some of the things mention viz put feet in fire, spoon in mouth, restrain the person convulsing etc.
These actually harm the person which is why I mentioned things not to do. I believe it is better to do nothing than to do something that is harmful.
However, things you can do are:
1. Keep calm
2. Prevent injury by removing dangerous objects or moving from dangerous areas e.g. Close to fire, machinery, stairs etc.
3. Loosen clothes
4. Turn gently to one side. This will help with keeping the person breathing.
5. Call for emergency service or take to hospital if it is the first seizure, pregnant, sustained injury, suspected stroke, lasts for more than 3 mins
6. Watch for at least 20 minutes after recovery.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Avoid Doing When A Person Is convulsing by boseko: 3:56pm On Nov 01, 2014
Most of the patients I've seen sustained injuries from people trying to help and not from the convulsion itself e.g. Broken teeth, burns, aspiration (herbal concoction entering the lungs), infected scarifications, wheals from caning, eye injuries etc.
Re: 10 Things To Avoid Doing When A Person Is convulsing by Funjosh(m): 6:21pm On Nov 01, 2014
So nothing should be done abi

boseko:
Most of the patients I've seen sustained injuries from people trying to help and not from the convulsion itself e.g. Broken teeth, burns, aspiration (herbal concoction entering the lungs), infected scarifications, wheals from caning, eye injuries etc.
Re: 10 Things To Avoid Doing When A Person Is convulsing by boseko: 7:42pm On Nov 01, 2014
Masterly inactivity.
Stay calm. Keep safe. Watch over. Call for help.
Re: 10 Things To Avoid Doing When A Person Is convulsing by Nobody: 10:11pm On Nov 01, 2014
VARICOSE VEINS: DISASTERS IN WAITING

The first thought that would have come into your mind had you seen her was "Oh what a tragic accident to happen to a pregnant woman!". Her left leg was wrapped in rags and plantain leaves all soaked in blood. She looked very weak and white. She was dying. But you will be dead wrong. This was no road traffic accident...

Continue at http://www.primerhealth.com.ng/2014/11/varicose-veins-disasters-in-waiting.html
Re: 10 Things To Avoid Doing When A Person Is convulsing by dkronicle(m): 12:02am On Nov 02, 2014
Reminds me of my dad.

(1) (Reply)

Baby Born In Coffin After 23 Hours Mother's Death / Ectopic Pregnancy And Tubal Blockage / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.