Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,904 members, 7,814,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

GEJ is Struggling To Develop Nigeria; Which leaders Under-developed Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ is Struggling To Develop Nigeria; Which leaders Under-developed Nigeria? (2969 Views)

APC Leaders Under Gun Attack In Rivers-the Nation / Buhari Welcomes Offer From Islamic Development Bank To Develop Nigeria (Photo) / Here Are 6 Ways You Can Develop Nigeria's Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ is Struggling To Develop Nigeria; Which leaders Under-developed Nigeria? by cocoduck: 9:14am On Nov 03, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof:

The Nigerian President is one of the most powerful Presidents on Earth by virtue of the widespread powers given to him by the National Assembly. To cut a long story short, if the President is good the rest of the country functions, if he's bad and corrupt guess what happens?

Exactly!
wrong, when the locals of these areas decide one morning to bomb themselves and are ever ready to die, there is nothing the President can do about it. That is where the leaders of the affected areas can help by curving the menace from the start before it turns into a monster.
Nigeria is the only country that you will see a small gutter in a remote street in the hinterlands getting overflowed with water and everybody around knows it is bad but they will not call the local leaders to arrest the situation but instead wait for the President to do something about it, now the Feds being saddled with so much responsibilities will not be able to arrest the ugly situation, when the small water becomes a big river the Feds are blamed for not doing anything. The question the op asked is simple, what did the local government chairmen, the state governors do about this book haram when they were still using motorcycles and hand guns to kill people?

1 Like

Re: GEJ is Struggling To Develop Nigeria; Which leaders Under-developed Nigeria? by Justcash(m): 10:22am On Nov 03, 2014
hifaif:

Somebody should help me explain to this guy all I have been saying all this while.

OK, listen, who should receive the blame for the present Boko Haram insurgency? We should blame the governor for the sect's bombings in Abuja? Who should curb full-blown war? You are talking state governors after I had painstakingly explained to you that BH started out as a peaceful movement that originally wanted a sharia state. Read the link and see what the Borno governor said after the 2009 BH uprising.

Please, read the link I gave you and check your last line.

I was already respecting your views as a patriot until I realized that you have decided to lean towards GEJ in a sort of sentimental way.

If GEJ were not himself so corrupt, why are a lot public officers so corrupt under him?

And please, refer to a single post were LG chairmen and governors were praised.

I am not leaning towards Jonathan as you implied. I am not impressed with his performance, that also does not imply that I am now leaning towards Atiku or Buhari. I am just saying that we must know the root of our problem in order to solve them. GEJ is not the root of our problem. It is wrong to heap the blame on him. I am saying so because I have seen some contributions that he has made. If the leaders before him made contributions of the same measure, we'll all be better off by now.

I read the link that you posted, and it showed that the emergence of the sect was due to the failure of the state and local authorities to give them justice when their members were killed. You said that they were peaceful, it would have been easy for the governor or local government chairmen to demand and obtain justice on-behalf of the sect. My point is, what actions were taken to address the grievances of the sect when they were angry? Whose responsibility was it to address those grievances from the start?

I must tell you that it will amount to a wild goose chase for the FG to attempt to solve the Boko Haram issue without a meaningful input from the state governments and local governments. The most difficult aspect of handling internal aggression is in trying to differentiate civilians from the rogues. This was evident in the attack of Mubi by Boko Haram, where the criminals had already infiltrated the city before they attacked. You can blame the FG as much as you want, but it will be quite myopic to do that because questions need to be asked about the efficiency of the other tiers of government. Until we start doing that, the reflection of development at the grassroots level will remain a challenge.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ is Struggling To Develop Nigeria; Which leaders Under-developed Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Nov 03, 2014
Justcash:

I am not leaning towards Jonathan as you implied. I am not impressed with his performance, that also does not imply that I am now leaning towards Atiku or Buhari. I am just saying that we must know the root of our problem in order to solve them. GEJ is not the root of our problem. It is wrong to heap the blame on him. I am saying so because I have seen some contributions that he has made. If the leaders before him made contributions of the same measure, we'll all be better off by now.

I read the link that you posted, and it showed that the emergence of the sect was due to the failure of the state and local authorities to give them justice when their members were killed. You said that they were peaceful, it would have been easy for the governor or local government chairmen to demand and obtain justice on-behalf of the sect. My point is, what actions were taken to address the grievances of the sect when they were angry? Whose responsibility was it to address those grievances from the start?

I must tell you that it will amount to a wild goose chase for the FG to attempt to solve the Boko Haram issue without a meaningful input from the state governments and local governments. The most difficult aspect of handling internal aggression is in trying to differentiate civilians from the rogues. This was evident in the attack of Mubi by Boko Haram, where the criminals had already infiltrated the city before they attacked. You can blame the FG as much as you want, but it will be quite myopic to do that because questions need to be asked about the efficiency of the other tiers of government. Until we start doing that, the reflection of development at the grassroots level will remain a challenge.

Who takes the credit when this insurgency is finally dealt with? An honest answer, please.

And why was the supposed Shekau killed without trial and the soldier that pulled the trigger not charged?

For 3-4 years, there have been arrests of key BH members and yet no tangible information was got about the group.

Muhammad was killed without trial, under Yar'Adua. Some policemen and a soldier were charged and the case was swept under the carpet.

Read this, please:

Commenting on the death of Muhammed Yusuf, Professor Zacarys Anger Gundu of Ahmadu Bello University stated:

“Some things might have come out if he had gone to trial. There are a lot of things we don't know about the group, and killing the leader removes the issue from public scrutiny.” [30]

An indication of the attitude of the police to Yusuf’s death comes from an unnamed police officer quoted by This Day, as saying “It’s good riddance
because our judiciary system has many loopholes.”

http://www.legalaidboard.ie/lab/publishing.nsf/content/The_Researcher_October_2009_Article_4

Shekau 2 was killed without trial under GEJ. Nothing came out of it. Maku was even happy about it that he immediately came online.

I guess, according to you, the state governors are still to blame for that.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ is Struggling To Develop Nigeria; Which leaders Under-developed Nigeria? by Justcash(m): 1:49pm On Nov 03, 2014
hifaif:

Who takes the credit when this insurgency is finally dealt with? An honest answer, please.

And why was the supposed Shekau killed without trial and the soldier that pulled the trigger not charged?

For 3-4 years, there have been arrests of key BH members and yet no tangible information was got about the group.

Muhammad was killed without trial, under Yar'Adua. Some policemen and a soldier were charged and the case was swept under the carpet.

Read this, please:

Commenting on the death of Muhammed Yusuf, Professor Zacarys Anger Gundu of Ahmadu Bello University stated:

“Some things might have come out if he had gone to trial. There are a lot of things we don't know about the group, and killing the leader removes the issue from public scrutiny.” [30]

An indication of the attitude of the police to Yusuf’s death comes from an unnamed police officer quoted by This Day, as saying “It’s good riddance
because our judiciary system has many loopholes.”

http://www.legalaidboard.ie/lab/publishing.nsf/content/The_Researcher_October_2009_Article_4

Shekau 2 was killed without trial under GEJ. Nothing came out of it. Maku was even happy about it that he immediately came online.

I guess, according to you, the state governors are still to blame for that.

These quotes were collected from the article in the link that you posted;

1. The Boko Haram was founded in 2002 by a self-styled Islamic preacher named Muhammed Yusuf.

2. Commenting on the underlying reasons behind the Boko Haram revolt Professor Murtalal Muhibbu-Din, head of the department of religion at Lagos State University, (LASU) stated:

"The people are frustrated and they are just looking for any means to confront the government of the day for not providing them the basic necessities of life. The teeming unemployed youths can be easily mobilised. What they said they were fighting against, such as Western education and Western values, are just smokescreens to vent their anger on the government. That is why they are attacking police stations, which they see as government establishments."

3. Prior to the events of July 2009 the Boko Haram had allegedly attacked the authorities on a number of previous occasions, including incidents in Yobe in 2003 and in Kano in 2004. In April 2007 ten policemen and a divisional commander’s wife were killed in an attack on the police headquarters in Kano.

4. The Nigerian Bar Association and the Afenifere Renewal Group also condemned the killing of Yusuf, with a spokesman for the latter speculating that he had been killed to prevent his backers from being exposed. Among others who died in police custody were Alhaji Buji Foi, who was believed to be the groups sponsor and Mohammed Yusuf’s father-in-law Alhaji Baa Fugu Mohammed.

As you can see, Boko Haram started in 2002 and carried out small scale attacks from 2003. It all started from state and local government politics, which was not properly managed by the state and local government authorities. Why is it now fashionable to blame the GEJ's led FG for Boko Haram as if he is incharge of this group? What about those state governors and local government chairmen that oversaw the political dynamics that led to an increase of Boko Haram's struggle? Why are fingers not pointing at them?

2 Likes

Re: GEJ is Struggling To Develop Nigeria; Which leaders Under-developed Nigeria? by abacrested(f): 4:20pm On Nov 03, 2014
hifaif:

Somebody should help me explain to this guy all I have been saying all this while.

OK, listen, who should receive the blame for the present Boko Haram insurgency? We should blame the governor for the sect's bombings in Abuja? Who should curb full-blown war? You are talking state governors after I had painstakingly explained to you that BH started out as a peaceful movement that originally wanted a sharia state. Read the link and see what the Borno governor said after the 2009 BH uprising.

Please, read the link I gave you and check your last line.

I was already respecting your views as a patriot until I realized that you have decided to lean towards GEJ in a sort of sentimental way.

If GEJ were not himself so corrupt, why are a lot public officers so corrupt under him?

And please, refer to a single post were LG chairmen and governors were praised.
this is the most interesting argument I have ever witnessed on this forum and I observe one thing, you need to study hard if you are still in school or go back to school if your out. Is it that you don't understand all this points by the op or just been selfish. Tufiakwa

1 Like

Re: GEJ is Struggling To Develop Nigeria; Which leaders Under-developed Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Nov 03, 2014
Justcash:

These quotes were collected from the article in the link that you posted;

1. The Boko Haram was founded in 2002 by a self-styled Islamic preacher named Muhammed Yusuf.

2. Commenting on the underlying reasons behind the Boko Haram revolt Professor Murtalal Muhibbu-Din, head of the department of religion at Lagos State University, (LASU) stated:

"The people are frustrated and they are just looking for any means to confront the government of the day for not providing them the basic necessities of life. The teeming unemployed youths can be easily mobilised. What they said they were fighting against, such as Western education and Western values, are just smokescreens to vent their anger on the government. That is why they are attacking police stations, which they see as government establishments."

3. Prior to the events of July 2009 the Boko Haram had allegedly attacked the authorities on a number of previous occasions, including incidents in Yobe in 2003 and in Kano in 2004. In April 2007 ten policemen and a divisional commander’s wife were killed in an attack on the police headquarters in Kano.

4. The Nigerian Bar Association and the Afenifere Renewal Group also condemned the killing of Yusuf, with a spokesman for the latter speculating that he had been killed to prevent his backers from being exposed. Among others who died in police custody were Alhaji Buji Foi, who was believed to be the groups sponsor and Mohammed Yusuf’s father-in-law Alhaji Baa Fugu Mohammed.

As you can see, Boko Haram started in 2002 and carried out small scale attacks from 2003. It all started from state and local government politics, which was not properly managed by the state and local government authorities. Why is it now fashionable to blame the GEJ's led FG for Boko Haram as if he is incharge of this group? What about those state governors and local government chairmen that oversaw the political dynamics that led to an increase of Boko Haram's struggle? Why are fingers not pointing at them?

OK, Sir. We should blame Ali Modu and the LG chairmen who are no longer in office. I will tell that to my folks. Ali Modu and his LG chairmen should deploy FG troops ASAP.

@abacrested, I would respond to you when you learn to cast aside your bigotry and argue sensibly as a patriot and not a party thug.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency / Pastor Be Heads His Pregnant Wife, Hides Corpse In A Bowl (graphic Photos) / Rochas Okorocha Approves Grazing Bill In Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.