Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs (47313 Views)

5 Most Popular Daughters Of Nigerian Presidents / Saraki tells 3 Ex-Presidents, Influential Nigerians To Come To His Rescue-Nation / When Two Nigerian Presidents Arrived New York... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by PHfinest(m): 3:28pm On Nov 04, 2014
gists:
Nnamdi Azikiwe => Christian => 1963
Major-General Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi => Christian => 1966 -----194 days in office
General Yakubu Gowon => Christian => 1966 ----------- 9 years
General Murtala Mohammed => Muslim => 1975 ------------1 year
Major-General Olusegun Obasanjo => Christian => 1976 -------------3 years
Shehu Shagari => Muslim => 1979 ------------------ 4 years
Major-General Muhammadu Buhari => Muslim => 1983 ------------------ 2 years
General Ibrahim Babangida => Muslim => 1985 -------------------- 8 years
Ernest Shonekan => Christian => 1993 ------------- 70 days
General Sani Abacha => Muslim => 1993--------------------- 5 years
General Abdulsalami Abubakar => Muslim => 1993 1998 ------------------ 1 year
Olusegun Obasanjo => Christian => 1999 --------------- 8 years
Umaru Musa Yar'Adua => Muslim => 2007 ---------------- 3 years
Goodluck Jonathan => Christian => 2010-date -------------- 4 years and counting

Out of 14, we have 7 Christians and 7 Muslims

In South west, it is said that between 1979 - 1983 all the SW states (Ogun, Oyo, Ondo) were ruled by Christian-Christian tickets. Until the advent of Amosun, Ogun state had never had a muslim governor! Just 4 years ago, before Aregbesola, Osun was a under a Christian-Christian ticket (Oyinlola and Obada).

Between 1999 to date, South west has had more christain governors than muslims (Under AD/ACN and PDP)
Ekiti=>Niyi Adebayo=>AD=>Christian
Ogun=>Olusegun Osoba=>AD=>Christian
Ondo=>Adebayo Adefarati=>AD=>Christian
Osun=>Adebisi Akande=>AD=>Christian
Oyo=>Lam Adesina=>AD=>Muslim
Lagos=>Bola Tinubu>AD=>Muslim

Ekiti=>Ayo Fayose=>PDP=>Christian
Ogun=>Gbenga Daniel=>PDP=>Christian
Ondo=>Olusegun Agagu=>PDP=>Christian
Osun=>Olagunsoye Oyinlola=>PDP=>Christian
Oyo=>Rasheed Ladoja=>PDP=>Muslim
Lagos=>Bola Tinubu>ACN=>Muslim

Ekiti=>Segun Oni=>PDP=>Christian
Ondo=>Olusegun Agagu / Olusegun Mimiko=>PDP / LP=>Christian
Osun=>Olagunsoye Oyinlola / Rauf Aregbesola=>PDP / ACN=>Christian / Muslim
Oyo=>Alao Akala=>PDP=>Christian
Lagos=>Babatunde Fashola>ACN=>Muslim

Ekiti=>Kayode Fayemi=>ACN=>Christian
Ogun=>Ibikunle Amosun=>ACN=>Muslim
Ondo=>Olusegun Mimiko=>LP=>Christian
Osun=>Rauf Aregbesola=>ACN=>Muslim
Oyo=>Abiola Ajimobi=>ACN=>Muslim

PDP has produced more Christain governors in SW than other parties. Does that mean PDP is a Christian party?

All this religious antics are crap if you ask me. What is most important is the credibilty and the performance of the one in charge. Little wonder most south westerners doesn't even realise the fact above that there have been more christian governors.

FFk maliciously said APC governors are made up of 80 % muslims in order to manipulate the poplulace toward voting PDP against the facts above. What he maliciously lfet out is the fact that in South-East and South South governors have been 100% christians (and almost certainly, their deputies too!)

So Where is the Ismalization of Nigerian? In fact, should the majority of the Northan muslim population vote against PDP since PDP is the one playing the religion politics?
1 minute pls

Do the math
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Godiloveu(f): 3:28pm On Nov 04, 2014
Ikengawo:
Why do people keep quoting that the ss and se is ruled by Christians to justify apcs 80% muslim make up? This is pure ignorance, apc isn't a geographical region and the ss and se are 99% christian. What muslim will they choose among them? Where as apc is a national party that can pick from all parts od the country but only gives posts and nominations to muslims

so uncle, based on d geographical zone as u ve posted APC has not committed any crime with percentage of religious members dat dey ve. as u point a finger check were d rest re facing

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by raumdeuter: 3:33pm On Nov 04, 2014
menabadoo:
so that's how many years?

Is it that hard to sum these years together?. Get a calculator and compute it

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by iamodenigbo1(m): 3:33pm On Nov 04, 2014
it is high time we give atheist,pagans and agnostic a chance,THIS IS TBE REAL CHANGE
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 3:34pm On Nov 04, 2014
raumdeuter:

Is it that hard to sum these years together?. Get a calculator and compute it
no be you be the mathematic teacher here
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by atlwireles: 3:34pm On Nov 04, 2014
54 years of Nigeria, see how they performed.

3 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by omenka(m): 3:34pm On Nov 04, 2014
AnodaIT:

That was a conditional statement, IF AND ONLY IF THE 6 YEARS SINGLE TENURE PROPOSAL WAS ALLOWED TO SAIL.
And by your calculation, six years from 2011 ends in 2015 huh

By the way, did Jonathan say "if" when he made the statement Since when did he appoint you his translator??

Smh.

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Sibabasibaba1: 3:34pm On Nov 04, 2014
gists:

Par your last sentence - You are right, and i have always said this myself. The pdp and gej did not start religious divide in Nigeria. So in fairness, let no body accuse gej of bringing religious divide to this country. But, what we accuse gej for is that under this administration, the religious polarity in Nigeria has been pronounced to a whole new level that it has never been before. Similarly, pdp/gej did not bring insurgents to Nigeria, but under the present a$$holes occuping aso rock, insurgents has planted a flag on our country. Nigerian Army has never been the strongest in the world, but under this useless government, we see Nigerian army running away from war front (for the 1st time in history) to Cameroon and shamefully surrender their arms to show they meant no harm simply because they have been delibrately under equipped and funded. The list goes on and on. I am sure many unbiased and enlightened people can add and explain more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have every right to criticize the government for its performance or lack of it. But to make wild claims just because you do not belong to the ruling party either at state or at federal level just does not wash. I accept that this government has not performed to expectations. But no government in this country has ever done that. Every government faces its own challenged. But this same government has also done creditably well in some areas. Even Musa Kwakwanso in his presidential declaration speech acknowledged that and said that he would build on those achievements. Now, that is what politics should be. And that acknowledgement made me have a level of soft spot for him--as someone who is not his fan.

You see, if I begin to point out areas your party has failed in its flagship state, Lagos, you will marvel. Lets look at potable water. Why has Lagos, with all its money, been unable to provide water for the people of the state who pay heavy taxes. I hope you know that over 90 per cent of Lagosians 'generate' their own water--with many drinking from well. So, if your party cannot provide water for the people of Lagos how can it convince us that it will provide water for the generality of Nigerians.

Ever been to this areas: Ijaniki, Bariga, Ajamgbadi, Ikotun, Egbeda, Idimu, Ejigbo, Iyana Ipaja, Ayobo Ipaja, Ikorodu, etc. How are those areas? Why can't APC's midas touch extend to those areas? So, no government delivers all. And all our politicians are selfish. None is altruistic. To claim that any is will be openly standing the truth on its head.

Again, I disagree with this statement: "the religious polarity in Nigeria has been pronounced to a whole new level that it has never been before". My brother, the religious polarity in Nigeria has been as pronounced as ever. Let us not deceive ourselves. I am lucky to have lived in every geo-political zone of Nigeria-because of the nature of my job. I have also been to every state in Nigeria minus Bornu, Gombe, Adamawa, Taraba and Bayelsa. So, I can confidently tell you that Nigerians have always been conscious of their religion. However, I must acknowledge that the Southwest seems to tolerate religious more than others-clearly because they embraced Christianity and Islam almost equally. But to claim that there is no level of religious consciousness in the Southwest is also a fallacy.

Meanwhile, I give it to you for being a matured debater- at least with your response to my opinion. This is unlike many of your friends whose stock in trade is to insult voices of dissent.

Cheers!

12 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by diresimdi(m): 3:36pm On Nov 04, 2014
This is a thread for the APC(animalistic peoples congress)....APC is a failure.

3 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Sibabasibaba1: 3:39pm On Nov 04, 2014
loopman:

Obviously you are paid a token to be writing this nonsense, your employers are wasting their little resources.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I am paid a token to write, then you probably are paid millions to insult people with dissenting opinions. It shows the integrity which your pay masters claim they have.

8 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 04, 2014
karlmax2:
Uwhat of Tarawa balewa who was nigerian prime minister? And then the the prime minister was the head of government. 2 why did you not impute the amount of years these Christian heads of states ruled Nigeria?. Well if u can't I would help you

Still waiting for you to help him.

Meanwhile, let me help you too

Christians

Zik - 5.5
Ironsi - 0.5
Gowon - 9
Obasanjo - 11
GEJ - 4

Total: 30

Muslims

54-30=24

5 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by OpraMenu(m): 3:43pm On Nov 04, 2014
gists:
Major-General Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi => Christian => 1966
General Yakubu Gowon => Christian => 1966
General Murtala Mohammed => Muslim => 1975
Major-General Olusegun Obasanjo => Christian => 1976
Shehu Shagari => Muslim => 1979
Major-General Muhammadu Buhari => Muslim => 1983
General Ibrahim Babangida => Muslim => 1985
Ernest Shonekan => Christian => 1993
General Sani Abacha => Muslim => 1993
General Abdulsalami Abubakar => Muslim => 1993
Olusegun Obasanjo => Christian => 1999
Umaru Musa Yar'Adua => Muslim => 2007
Goodluck Jonathan => Christian => 2010-date

In South west, it is said that between 1979 - 1983 all the SW states (Ogun, Oyo, Ondo) were ruled by Christian-Christian tickets. Until the advent of Amosun, Ogun state had never had a muslim governor! Just 4 years ago, before Aregbesola, Osun was a under a Christian-Christian ticket (Oyinlola and Obada).

Between 1999 to date, South west has had more christain governors than muslims (Under AD/ACN and PDP)

PDP has produced more Christain governors in SW than other parties. Does that mean PDP is a Christian party?

All this religious antics are crap if you ask me. What is most important is the credibilty and the performance of the one in charge. Little wonder most south westerners doesn't even realise the fact above that there have been more christian governors.

FFk maliciously said APC governors are made up of 80 % muslims in order to manipulate the poplulace toward voting PDP against the facts above. What he maliciously lfet out is the fact that in South-East and South South governors have been 100% christians (and almost certainly, their deputies too!)

So Where is the Ismalization of Nigerian? In fact, should the majority of the Northan muslim population vote against PDP since PDP is the one playing the religion politics?

i dnt get ur point
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 04, 2014
God will bless you for your parent...God will continue to supply you wisdom

leave them saTAN alone...the thurnder that will fire them is doing press up

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 04, 2014
OpraMenu:

i dnt get ur point
because you are too dull to reason...

2 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by chamboy(m): 3:46pm On Nov 04, 2014
i pray this religious bigotry doesnt cause war in this nation.
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Gboliwe: 3:47pm On Nov 04, 2014
This OP can know how to twist lie to look like truth sha. *SMH

APC is a muslim party, I wonder why we are even arguing about the very obvious.
Any way, anything to keep the booze flowing. tongue

2 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by aumeehn: 3:50pm On Nov 04, 2014
Kelvin0:

Talking about facts...here are some
APC (Arewa Peoples Congress) is not an opposition
Party. I am saying it for the umpteenth time APC is a failed experiment there is no amount of lies or propaganda against the PDP that will make me cast my vote for APC. They are the ones championing the instability in this administration thereby making it un-governable, they have traded the peace of our beloved country for their insatiable quest for power and yes they will fail......lemme tell u how;
Come February 2015 the PDP is going to sweep the whole of the middle belt..of course the SS & SE is not negotiable The SW will be divided, one half for APC and the other half PDP now tell me how APC is an opposition Party......If u know what I mean.
the core North nko undecided
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 04, 2014
karlmax2:
Uwhat of Tarawa balewa who was nigerian prime minister? And then the the prime minister was the head of government. 2 why did you not impute the amount of years these Christian heads of states ruled Nigeria?. Well if u can't I would help you
Yakubu Gowon and Olusegun Obasanjo were the longest serving president in Nigeria history,your Goodluck Jonathan is using its 6th year,you are too dumb to reason

am a christian

2 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by ichidodo: 3:53pm On Nov 04, 2014
We don't see how this stops GEJ from taking us to the promise land come 2015,bandying religious sentiments about has always been a favourite pastime of the APC and its Janjweed chiefs eg El rufai,Buhari even Amaechi..Nigerians don't want the Angel they do not know especially when these 'angels' are laden with strong vitriolic bile to the greater christian populace...Bring up technocrats like Oshiomole or Fashola for Aso rock if APC wants Nigerians to take them seriously instead of geriatric old men keen to mortgage Nigeria into electoral campaign Bank loans... #GEJ4EVER

6 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 3:54pm On Nov 04, 2014
Firefire:
[s][/s]
you are a fo.ol,you have been checkmate and you have no other lie to offer tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 04, 2014
Na wa ooo .... all these politicians claiming to be christains and muslims but they worship ifa in secret . they even believe more in the Ifa and sango gods . op should ask akala.
lesson is .... they use these two religions as disguise just because they are they are the popularly accepted religion . if an ifa worshipper wishes to run , am sure every would talk him down. those politicians are ifa worshippers behind doors.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Degis(m): 3:55pm On Nov 04, 2014
So for ya mind Adebisi Akande na Christian abi?. You APC rats no get brain at all at all

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Firefire(m): 3:56pm On Nov 04, 2014
[s]
Ipledge:
you are a fo.ol,you have been checkmate and you have no other lie to offer tongue tongue tongue tongue
[/s]
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by dustydee: 3:56pm On Nov 04, 2014
What about Pagans? When will they get their chance to lead? Since some people said we should give the "minorities" a chance, should we consider them too since they are in the "minority"? Just my thought. . .
Personally I think religion should be left out of this even though I know some Muslims and Christians will object.
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Firefire(m): 3:57pm On Nov 04, 2014
Degis:
So for ya mind Adebisi Akande na Christian abi?. You APC rats no get brain at all at all

They do have brain, but a Fish brain...

3 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Sibabasibaba1: 3:58pm On Nov 04, 2014
Jarus:

Still waiting for you to help him.

Meanwhile, let me help you too

Christians

Zik - 5.5
Ironsi - 0.5
Gowon - 9
Obasanjo - 11
GEJ - 4

Total: 30

Muslims

54-30=24
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bros, what if we calculate it this way?:

MUSLIMS

Belewa---5.5
Murtala---0.7
Shagari—5.3
Babangida—8 years
Abacha---5 years
Yar’Adua- 3 years
Total- 27.5

Total: 54 - 27.5 =26.5

2 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Firefire(m): 3:59pm On Nov 04, 2014
Ipledge:
Yakubu Gowon and Olusegun Obasanjo were the longest serving president in Nigeria history,your Goodluck Jonathan is using its 6th year,you are too dumb to reason

am a christian

Are you sure ? Read Matthew 5:22

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by oluamid(m): 4:00pm On Nov 04, 2014
The blind will always be blind. Politics should be devoid of ethnic and religious coloration and be purely issues-based. Anyone who can convince me he can move the country forward from its present undesirable state, irrespective of his religion or tribe, has my vote.

But... "anybody" as used above does not include Mr Jonathan. He has his chance and he's blowing it.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by jacabi(m): 4:01pm On Nov 04, 2014
chamboy:
i pray this religious bigotry doesnt cause war in this nation.
That's what our politicians are up to.
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Okudiover(m): 4:02pm On Nov 04, 2014
gists:
Major-General Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi => Christian => 1966
General Yakubu Gowon => Christian => 1966
General Murtala Mohammed => Muslim => 1975
Major-General Olusegun Obasanjo => Christian => 1976
Shehu Shagari => Muslim => 1979
Major-General Muhammadu Buhari => Muslim => 1983
General Ibrahim Babangida => Muslim => 1985
Ernest Shonekan => Christian => 1993
General Sani Abacha => Muslim => 1993
General Abdulsalami Abubakar => Muslim => 1993
Olusegun Obasanjo => Christian => 1999
Umaru Musa Yar'Adua => Muslim => 2007
Goodluck Jonathan => Christian => 2010-date

I agree with you 150 percent on the last paragraph at least.
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by oluamid(m): 4:03pm On Nov 04, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bros, what if we calculate it this way?:

MUSLIMS

Belewa---5.5
Murtala---0.7
Shagari—5.3
Babangida—8 years
Abacha---5 years
Yar’Adua- 3 years
Total- 27.5

Total: 54 - 27.5 =26.5

Sorry, but how did you come about the bolded?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Used US Bank Account To Remove Tattoo Of Ex-wife, Doctor Confirms SR / Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Mass Burial For 103 EndSARS Victims - Lagos State Govt / How Redesigned New Naira Notes Will Favour Peter Obi In 2023 By Charles Novia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.