Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. (2081 Views)

(photo)senator God'swill Akpabio Sleeping During Today's Plenary / Wait, Is Gov. Godwill Akpabio Running Away? / Akpabio To Commission 30 New Projects, Flag Off Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by TheSonOfMark(m): 10:16am On Nov 05, 2014
RENAMING OF THE NEW AKWA IBOM STATE INTERNATIONAL STADIUM.

Reports reaching me ,and from investigations I have made, indicates that the new international stadium is to be named after the state governor as GOD'SWILL AKPABIO INTERNATIONAL STADIUM.
Now here's the thing: Do you think it's morally or politically okay if a sitting executive public office holder decides to name public infrastructures after him or herself?
Do you think it sets a negative precedent for successive governors ? Or
Do you think this singular move by the incumbent has the tendency to heat up the polity or not?

I've been having animated debates about this with some folks in my hood and their views thus far have been diverging.
So, ladies and gentlemen, what's your take on the aforementioned issue? Looking forward to interacting with you all.

cc: nigerianvenom
atouke
enoquin
talktimi
aitee1
billyonaire
akpanakwaibon
anonimi
nctrice

and all advocates of truth
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by Energito: 10:21am On Nov 05, 2014
Is not our business.
TheSonOfMark:

Reports reaching me ,and from investigations I have made, indicates that the new international stadium is to be named after the state governor as GOD'SWILL AKPABIO INTERNATIONAL STADIUM.
Now here's the thing: Do you think it's morally or politically okay if a sitting executive public office holder decides to name public infrastructures after him or herself?
Do you think this singular move by the incumbent has the tendency to heat up the polity or not?

I've been having animated debates about this with some folks in my hood and their views thus far have been diverging.
So, ladies and gentlemen, what's your take on the aforementioned issue? Looking forward to interacting with you all.

atouke
enoquin
talktimi
aitee1
billyonaire

1 Like

Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by nigerianvenom(m): 10:22am On Nov 05, 2014
TheSonOfMark:

atouke
enoquin
talktimi
aitee1
billyonaire

where did u get such news?
paste the link here.akwa ibom local newspapers are anti akpabio.when the have nothing to write about,they form something and write about it
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by Kasyn(m): 10:27am On Nov 05, 2014
Akpabio....akpa ibibio......akpabio o........i have nothing to say.
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by egift(m): 10:29am On Nov 05, 2014
1. Where is your source?
2. I am glad he built the facility.
3. I don't support anyone naming Government things to themselves (past heroes of the state should be honored).
4. Finally, it is none of my business what it bears.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-gE4_gVBv7XQ/VFtkvF_jOSI/AAAAAAAD1u8/ISwFOqQ4uHg/s1600/3.jpg[/img]
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by PapiWata: 10:33am On Nov 05, 2014
egift:

I don't support anyone naming Government thing to themselves (past heroes of the state should be honored).

When I am elected President At-Large of The Nigerian Federation, I will IMMEDIATELY rename the entire country after myself, with "istan" appended for phonetic completeness.

1 Like

Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by PapiWata: 10:33am On Nov 05, 2014
egift:

I don't support anyone naming Government thing to themselves (past heroes of the state should be honored).

When I am elected President At-Large of The Nigerian Federation, I will IMMEDIATELY rename the entire country after myself, with "istan" appended for phonetic completeness.

1 Like

Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by Nctrice(m): 10:37am On Nov 05, 2014
Even if he does it, it won't make it right in any way! Akpabio is a man that can set anything up for his favor! I won't be surprised if he does it tho! But if he does it would be another reason why some folks would want to see that stadium burnt to the ground if he finally decides to take the PDP primaries there! May God protect that Stadium and other infrastructure in the state come 2015! .
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by Truth24(m): 10:41am On Nov 05, 2014
First of all wey ur source ? If its Concord, den I won't believe u cos Concord is anti-akpabio .....
But if its true, Sha I see nothing wrong in dat..... He has really tried for d state and besides there are so many other infrastructures across Nigeria named after heroes(past and present).....So why im own come be matter?

2 Likes

Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by TheSonOfMark(m): 10:43am On Nov 05, 2014
nigerianvenom:
where did u get such news?akwa ibom local newspapers are anti akpabio.
egift:
I don't support anyone naming Government thing to themselves (past heroes of the state should be honored)

Firstly, I've got nothing against the person of the governor. Why would I? He's been a fervent advocate of zoning the governorship to my senatorial district.
Secondly, I'm in the state and privileged to have access to happenings in it before they become topical issues.
Thirdly, Friday is just two days away. You'll hear the news officially then.
Fourthly, I'm concerned about the precedence such actions will set in motion.
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by theSpark(m): 10:43am On Nov 05, 2014
It doesn't sound humble or modest in my opinion. If it is only the stadium he is naming after himself no wahala. Some northern governors name almost everything after themselves.

1 Like

Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by victorD3: 10:51am On Nov 05, 2014
Its still Akwa-Ibom international stadium

Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 05, 2014
Let him go ahead and name the stadium in his honour. Who cares? The next governor of the state might change the name. So who loses?
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by anonimi: 11:00am On Nov 05, 2014
There is no doubt that this is VERY WRONG and whoever is advising Akpabio or any governor for that matter to do this does not have their best interest at heart.

TheSonOfMark:

atouke
enoquin
talktimi
aitee1
billyonaire
akpanakwaibon
anonimi
nctrice

1 Like

Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by Enoquin(f): 11:00am On Nov 05, 2014
While Akpabio has done something for Akwa ibom to the 'best of his ability', I think it would be going too far if he wants to re-name the stadium after himself except it is a 'in your face' taunt to the Ibibios especially the ones who haven't seen anything good in his administration.

I still feel he should rise above the pettiness though...history has his name as the governor who gave Akwa Ibom an international standard stadium.

TheSonOfMark:

atouke
enoquin
talktimi
aitee1
billyonaire
akpanakwaibon
anonimi
nctrice

1 Like

Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by nigerianvenom(m): 11:02am On Nov 05, 2014
egift:
1. Where is your source?
2. I am glad he built the facility.
3. I don't support anyone naming Government thing to themselves (past heroes of the state should be honored).
4. Finally, it is not of my business what it bears.

first in history u are saying my mind.
keep it up

1 Like

Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by egift(m): 11:05am On Nov 05, 2014
PapiWata:

Like PapiWatanistan grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by nigerianvenom(m): 11:08am On Nov 05, 2014
berem:
Let him go ahead and name the stadium in his honour. Who cares? The next governor of the state might change the name. So who loses?

go and ask ur okolo what he has done in owerri.
or maybe tell him to change okigwe round about to okolo round about

1 Like

Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by talktimi(m): 11:12am On Nov 05, 2014
National stadium Surulere should be handed over to private investors and renamed after Sam Okwaraji. Akwa Ibom people can sort themselves out
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by PapiWata: 11:16am On Nov 05, 2014
egift:

That has a nice ring to it, but you will still need to pay cash for that application form, if you want to be considered as a prospect for Minister of Information to represent my administration on the global stage.

2 Likes

Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by Nobody: 11:17am On Nov 05, 2014
nigerianvenom:

go and ask ur okolo what he has done in owerri.
or maybe tell him to change okigwe round about to okolo round about
what is this one saying?
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by egift(m): 11:19am On Nov 05, 2014
PapiWata:

That has a nice ring to it, but you will still need to pay cash for that application form, if you want to be considered as a prospect for Minister of Information to represent my administration on the global stage.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by Atouke: 11:28am On Nov 05, 2014
Haters, rumor millers, character assassins, Stop lying You cant keep a blessed Man Down no matter how hard you try. you are all invited to leave your lying ways and come to Gilgal for the opening of Akwa Ibom Stadium Complex maybe you will find peace.

1 Like

Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by Aitee1: 11:48am On Nov 05, 2014
sad sad sad
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by omenka(m): 11:54am On Nov 05, 2014
egift:

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by Atouke: 12:13pm On Nov 05, 2014
smiley
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 05, 2014
Enoquin:
While Akpabio has done something for Akwa ibom to the 'best of his ability', I think it would be going too far if he wants to re-name the stadium after himself except it is a 'in your face' taunt to the Ibibios especially the ones who haven't seen anything good in his administration.

I still feel he should rise above the pettiness though...history has his name as the governor who gave Akwa Ibom an international standard stadium.

Very wrong. He shouldnt even try it. I think he is just testing the waters.
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by TheSonOfMark(m): 5:52pm On Nov 05, 2014
@Atouke @nigerianvenom @enoquin @egift:

Looking at the move from a socioeconomic perspective, it sure seems favourable to the development of the state but critically analyzing it, from a political and/or moral point of view that is, it sure seems ill-timed and a politically-risky maneuver.
The polity of the state is already heated up by the all-important governorship (primary) election in the offing. The governor himself has powerful adversaries and the aforementioned infrastructural renaming would only alienate him (and his 'godson') further by these bigwigs who have publicly opined that he, the governor, is bent on establishing a dynasty and this renaming and several others , obviously, seems to buttress their point.

Added to the above: peradventure the incoming governor isn't favourably disposed to the incumbent, he would most definitely relegate the maintenance of the stadium and other renamed infrastructures since it's been named after his adversary. If the afore-described scenario plays out then a lot of such public infrastructures are bound to suffer from the neglect.
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by Enoquin(f): 6:02pm On Nov 05, 2014
Billyonaire:
Very wrong. He shouldnt even try it. I think he is just testing the waters.

I truly hope it's just that...'Testing the waters'
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by Enoquin(f): 6:08pm On Nov 05, 2014
How is the move favorable from a socio economic perspective?
TheSonOfMark:

Looking at the move from a socioeconomic perspective, it sure seems favourable to the development of the state but critically analyzing it, from a political and/or moral point of view that is, it sure seems ill-timed and a politically-risky maneuver.
The polity of the state is already heated up by the all-important governorship (primary) election in the offing. The governor himself has powerful adversaries and the aforementioned infrastructural renaming would only alienate him (and his 'godson') further by these bigwigs who have publicly opined that he, the governor, is bent on establishing a dynasty and this renaming and several others , obviously, seems to buttress their point.

Added to the above: peradventure the incoming governor isn't favourably disposed to the incumbent, he would most definitely relegate the maintenance of the stadium and other renamed infrastructures since it's been named after his adversary. If the afore-described scenario plays out then a lot of such public infrastructures are bound to suffer from the neglect.
Re: Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. by Atouke: 6:37pm On Nov 05, 2014
TheSonOfMark:
@Atouke @nigerianvenom @enoquin @egift:

you brood of viper stop spreading fake news. the only person that wants to change Akwa Ibom stadium name is you propagandist that are trying to rubbish this novel accomplishment just to score cheap political point. You have failed even before you start.
Gov. Akpabio praises is in the lips of every well meaning Akwa Ibom Person and nigerian and it will not cease and i know that gives your principal sleepless nights. You and your cohort better repent.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

N83M Embezzlement Of Prison Funds By A Prison Accountant. See Photo / Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll / Lai Mohammed Vs Udenta Udenta On Channels Tv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.