Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them (3509 Views)

"Wow Karma Just Caught Them" Please Follow Me Read This..oh Nigeria / Beware: Scammers Have Invaded Nairaland / "al-qaeda To Use Nigeria As Hq" - British Intelligence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by temitayoadegoke(m): 1:08am On Nov 06, 2014
This night as i was just tidying up stuffs on my pc and preparing to shutdown, I got an email, I was reluctant at first but i decided to check the last mail which actually ended up keeping me awake till this time. The title of the message made my gloomy eyes. Below is the message.

Nigerian Police Force
To me Nov 5 at 11:20 PM
POLICE INVITATION LETTER

Dear Sir,
The office of the inspector general of police monitoring unit is investigating
a case of fraud.Your presence in this regard would be highly appreciated.Attached
is the invitation letter and all relevant information you will need,please,download and read.
Failure to report will dealt with seriously.

ABAYOMI AyoGUNLE
FOR:THE INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE.
MONITORING UNIT.
Louis Edet House,
Area 11 Garki, Abuja
yomishogunle@npf.gov.ng

Immediately i did the conventional hover over with the mouse to reveal the email address but was surprised the address was genuine. I got a little confused, then i moved on to google to check if there has been any scam like that and i found none, i also discovered that the email, name and positions are actually real. At that point i began to sweat, i started thinking of all the people i have done business with in the past one year (i wonder how judgement day will be like, its not too late to repent today.) i have never cheated anyone in any way. I began to remember all the scenes of Nigerian police torture i had seen in yoruba movies, I got more scared and immediately forwarded the message to my lawyer and my brother. Then i thought again, this could be a scam but how come? everything seems real. Then i decided to do one last thing before i start impromptu vigil + fasting and prayer.

I decided to use a html editor to view the email. then i got this

From Nigerian Police Force Wed Nov 5 22:20:42 2014
X-Apparently-To: myownemail@yahoo.com; Wed, 05 Nov 2014 22:20:46 +0000
Return-Path: <usr7157@cold1.colservicios.com>
Received-SPF: none (domain of cold1.colservicios.com does not designate permitted sender hosts)
b2ZmaWNlIG9mIHRoZSBpbnNwZWN0b3IgZ2VuZXJhbCBvZiBwb2xpY2UgbW9u
aXRvcmluZyB1bml0IGlzIGludmVzdGlnYXRpbmcgYSBjYXNlIG9mIGZyYXVk
LllvdXIgcHJlc2VuY2UgaW4gdGhpcyByZWdhcmQgd291bGQgYmUgaGlnaGx5
IGFwcHJlY2lhdGVkLkF0dGFjaGVkIGlzIHRoZSBpbnZpdGF0aW9uIGxldHRl
ciBhbmQgYWxsIHJlbGV2YW50IGluZm9ybWF0aW9uIHlvdSB3aQEwAQEBAQN0
ZXh0L3BsYWluAwMxAlBPTElDRSBJTlZJVEFUSU9OIExFVFRFUi56aXADAwMx
MjQ2
X-YMailISG: YcYAsP8WLDt66VJf5DrqnAcGfQvuncEf1ehcW_Djs8rTijsK
YmKR1SIlBSOIJTSc7arVfU5WnKF6E_tQuZJtNABeKytBrEizwT33_MNfS1O8
pIKQOlLcaHXI57rOA5YdNFyXETT_ogO3uqfb1ffd8D4u4AauGDmgPnr_RACg
WtDMaz4uAlXDqojxz94pj6bZS.VrL29q80WsrYAgTPXHn_5roXJKavEDw2tZ
Qp2j.xRWjRj6n1axaN6PncTcrsDC8bR8qR2b_DfNuWXT3PBCw0kVFjpEPXTr
RpcfEdaNQN1_XhcdFcia5cXy292G3D68HIgC8nJvlbmVVM..EsdCtuziSs2G
XOE7bLHKpP9cVqI6n4x.mF7Jhno7mxWXVQ_ECcts_xO9L1oZEjmGyN5PfL2A
yqMtDbLV1eYI6t4qO7SqO9kghiGYB.bzvcrajx1EpCHSvnU6s145WCnY7sYp
36xYs6OmGNRONikFI_hXC9Ead8WX8iWYzNzY.VBC26vnVFbyUT.2ltz7XlIf
OUpD_KbhTREw8ht7ZpHXxFVusCJ8XnaSQonV6DkPtD4yzlaN2zeXmqACxsbC
k2mx9wR6DJAK5zuUkgJg.mQ7TXbPVtvGRXYmBaXmTl3oJBgbdQs0gU7CTUIj
GsjsOekIyB6BEePxc8bDHWGb1S_JAIcuBgaPagEC6A1Ip9GF843XIBUHIMVj
zWFimIkkrBXsujN4tx2KL54jGneeDemaf5lZUws7qhAZWV85ALnH0gP6YLeG
qKDuU9vFpLMG37GgSDCfcBmiXjEn0YW9CgFk7qwObNcN0T19AQOCSuKRZubh
JUGL..CyZTe_aHBr2woKAdv8kDHKca0KmFYjI1OFiWHrn0jv3q73XgWeFecX
9yejHx6aWZCTLNhVOq4A3tQ0mJ6GUBfEV.OmW6jBr60BzyESCtOZotA5ASvL
IBRjW.0CTuLOlz9D5jJVn1JYNMv9VcF7FCAuVGYkkC8FSK_lJ_RZNtURjF4Y
e_u_xbz8OOwRny0MGF0ALAbT9GwbQqaSSguoFxNgvONYe56zYZpaiRXjV7Eu
eRVIW49rqLqbbFVn9QEKlwVm_wOWeND44Ktpkn3bGQJVIN6AM7fYoD5rzc8f
23gcEcXUIRRZZspDUUwazoPMki0UthaZWfluPQvg..JZ6EPeEu3zsqdas6nk
GA--
X-Originating-IP: [192.163.246.239]
Authentication-Results: mta1614.mail.gq1.yahoo.com from=npf.gov.ng; domainkeys=neutral (no sig); from=npf.gov.ng; dkim=neutral (no sig)
Received: from 127.0.0.1 (EHLO cold1.colservicios.com) (192.163.246.239)
by mta1614.mail.gq1.yahoo.com with SMTPS; Wed, 05 Nov 2014 22:20:46 +0000
Received: from usr7157 by cold1.colservicios.com with local (Exim 4.82)
(envelope-from <usr7157@cold1.colservicios.com>)
id 1Xm8wU-0003Cn-Pr
for myownemail@yahoo.com; Wed, 05 Nov 2014 17:20:43 -0500
To: myownemail@yahoo.com
Subject: Re-POLICE INVITATION LETTER
X-PHP-Script: gertsaesp.com/promailer.php for 41.71.173.227
Reply-To: yomishogunle@npf.gov.ng
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary=618EA604DC4251EEF92A687A8558A8FC
Message-Id: <E1Xm8wU-0003Cn-Pr@cold1.colservicios.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 17:20:42 -0500
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - cold1.colservicios.com
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - yahoo.com
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [713 500] / [47 12]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - cold1.colservicios.com
X-Get-Message-Sender-Via: cold1.colservicios.com: authenticated_id: usr7157/only user confirmed/virtual account not confirmed
X-Source: /usr/bin/php
X-Source-Args: /usr/bin/php
X-Source-Dir: gertsaesp.com:/public_html
Content-Length: 1275799

I was relieved. Its some scammers from australia at it again. They almost got me. I felt sharing this might help a lot other people too. Thanks. have a great night. sleepy

8 Likes

Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by koolg: 1:13am On Nov 06, 2014
html editor
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by Nobody: 1:15am On Nov 06, 2014
grin grin grin

You will understand when you come to the station
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by Opiosko: 1:18am On Nov 06, 2014
But our police has been scammers since 1914 na? I won't be suprise if came from them....they could be upgrading u know..?
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by Opiosko: 1:24am On Nov 06, 2014
barcanista:
grin grin grin

Oboy u no dea sleep ni?.. I heard the APC lie bug has finally bitten u and u now lie with reckless abandon hun?... Just as i foretold and warned u to right ur steps before it's too late but u never listened..

1 Like

Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by temitayoadegoke(m): 1:25am On Nov 06, 2014
barcanista:
grin grin grin
Ehhn, you sef dey among? grin grin grin

I think the Police need to take note of this so that innocent citizens wont fall prey.

Easier way to get it done, if you are using yahoo. just below the message you will see, Reply, Reply all, Forward and More. Click "more" and click Show full header, it will show you the full details of the origin of the message
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by Nobody: 1:31am On Nov 06, 2014
let boys hustle jare
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by SLIDEwaxie(m): 2:20am On Nov 06, 2014
Opiosko:
Oboy u no dea sleep ni?.. I heard the APC lie bug has finally bitten u and u now lie with reckless abandon hun?... Just as i foretold and warned u to right ur steps before it's too late but u never listened..
shey u dey sleep like ds?
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by datguru: 5:20am On Nov 06, 2014
Some hustlers sef
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by temitayoadegoke(m): 7:22am On Nov 06, 2014
seriously it wasn't funny at first
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by RockMaxi: 7:29am On Nov 06, 2014
Na experience save you o. Person wey no know html editor would have been doing fasting and prayer. God will first of all laugh before answering the prayer. grin

1 Like

Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by temitayoadegoke(m): 7:45am On Nov 06, 2014
RockMaxi:
Na experience save you o. Person wey no know html editor would have been doing fasting and prayer. God will first of all laugh before answering the prayer. grin
I tell you my bros. If you see the way sleep clear for my eyes.

The normal conventional way of catching such was to mouse over the sender's name to reveal the sender's email but in this case it was not so. The guys are smart but not smart enough

2 Likes

Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 06, 2014
Mods, please frontpage many may be or will be victims of this....Thanks
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by yinchar(m): 9:37am On Nov 06, 2014
Front page things mod...ASAP
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by Rexnegro(m): 9:57am On Nov 06, 2014
temitayoadegoke:
This night as i was just tidying up stuffs on my pc and preparing to shutdown, I got an email, I was reluctant at first but i decided to check the last mail which actually ended up keeping me awake till this time. The title of the message made my gloomy eyes. Below is the message.

Nigerian Police Force
POLICE INVITATION LETTER

Dear Sir,
a case of fraud.Your presence in this regard would be highly appreciated.Attached
is the invitation letter and all relevant information you will need,please,download and read.

ABAYOMI AyoGUNLE
MONITORING UNIT.
Louis Edet House,
Area 11 Garki, Abuja
yomishogunle@npf.gov.ng

Immediately i did the conventional hover over with the mouse to reveal the email address but was surprised the address was genuine. I got a little confused, then i moved on to google to check if there has been any scam like that and i found none, i also discovered that the email, name and positions are actually real. At that point i began to sweat, i started thinking of all the people i have done business with in the past one year (i wonder how judgement day will be like, its not too late to repent today.) i have never cheated anyone in any way. I began to remember all the scenes of Nigerian police torture i had seen in yoruba movies, I got more scared and immediately forwarded the message to my lawyer and my brother. Then i thought again, this could be a scam but how come? everything seems real. Then i decided to do one last thing before i start impromptu vigil + fasting and prayer.

I decided to use a html editor to view the email. then i got this

From Nigerian Police Force Wed Nov 5 22:20:42 2014
X-Apparently-To: myownemail@yahoo.com; Wed, 05 Nov 2014 22:20:46 +0000
Return-Path: <usr7157@cold1.colservicios.com>
Received-SPF: none (domain of cold1.colservicios.com does not designate permitted sender hosts)
b2ZmaWNlIG9mIHRoZSBpbnNwZWN0b3IgZ2VuZXJhbCBvZiBwb2xpY2UgbW9u
aXRvcmluZyB1bml0IGlzIGludmVzdGlnYXRpbmcgYSBjYXNlIG9mIGZyYXVk
LllvdXIgcHJlc2VuY2UgaW4gdGhpcyByZWdhcmQgd291bGQgYmUgaGlnaGx5
IGFwcHJlY2lhdGVkLkF0dGFjaGVkIGlzIHRoZSBpbnZpdGF0aW9uIGxldHRl
ciBhbmQgYWxsIHJlbGV2YW50IGluZm9ybWF0aW9uIHlvdSB3aQEwAQEBAQN0
ZXh0L3BsYWluAwMxAlBPTElDRSBJTlZJVEFUSU9OIExFVFRFUi56aXADAwMx
MjQ2
X-YMailISG: YcYAsP8WLDt66VJf5DrqnAcGfQvuncEf1ehcW_Djs8rTijsK
YmKR1SIlBSOIJTSc7arVfU5WnKF6E_tQuZJtNABeKytBrEizwT33_MNfS1O8
pIKQOlLcaHXI57rOA5YdNFyXETT_ogO3uqfb1ffd8D4u4AauGDmgPnr_RACg
WtDMaz4uAlXDqojxz94pj6bZS.VrL29q80WsrYAgTPXHn_5roXJKavEDw2tZ
Qp2j.xRWjRj6n1axaN6PncTcrsDC8bR8qR2b_DfNuWXT3PBCw0kVFjpEPXTr
RpcfEdaNQN1_XhcdFcia5cXy292G3D68HIgC8nJvlbmVVM..EsdCtuziSs2G
XOE7bLHKpP9cVqI6n4x.mF7Jhno7mxWXVQ_ECcts_xO9L1oZEjmGyN5PfL2A
yqMtDbLV1eYI6t4qO7SqO9kghiGYB.bzvcrajx1EpCHSvnU6s145WCnY7sYp
36xYs6OmGNRONikFI_hXC9Ead8WX8iWYzNzY.VBC26vnVFbyUT.2ltz7XlIf
OUpD_KbhTREw8ht7ZpHXxFVusCJ8XnaSQonV6DkPtD4yzlaN2zeXmqACxsbC
k2mx9wR6DJAK5zuUkgJg.mQ7TXbPVtvGRXYmBaXmTl3oJBgbdQs0gU7CTUIj
GsjsOekIyB6BEePxc8bDHWGb1S_JAIcuBgaPagEC6A1Ip9GF843XIBUHIMVj
zWFimIkkrBXsujN4tx2KL54jGneeDemaf5lZUws7qhAZWV85ALnH0gP6YLeG
qKDuU9vFpLMG37GgSDCfcBmiXjEn0YW9CgFk7qwObNcN0T19AQOCSuKRZubh
JUGL..CyZTe_aHBr2woKAdv8kDHKca0KmFYjI1OFiWHrn0jv3q73XgWeFecX
9yejHx6aWZCTLNhVOq4A3tQ0mJ6GUBfEV.OmW6jBr60BzyESCtOZotA5ASvL
IBRjW.0CTuLOlz9D5jJVn1JYNMv9VcF7FCAuVGYkkC8FSK_lJ_RZNtURjF4Y
e_u_xbz8OOwRny0MGF0ALAbT9GwbQqaSSguoFxNgvONYe56zYZpaiRXjV7Eu
eRVIW49rqLqbbFVn9QEKlwVm_wOWeND44Ktpkn3bGQJVIN6AM7fYoD5rzc8f
23gcEcXUIRRZZspDUUwazoPMki0UthaZWfluPQvg..JZ6EPeEu3zsqdas6nk
GA--
X-Originating-IP: [192.163.246.239]
Authentication-Results: mta1614.mail.gq1.yahoo.com from=npf.gov.ng; domainkeys=neutral (no sig); from=npf.gov.ng; dkim=neutral (no sig)
Received: from 127.0.0.1 (EHLO cold1.colservicios.com) (192.163.246.239)
by mta1614.mail.gq1.yahoo.com with SMTPS; Wed, 05 Nov 2014 22:20:46 +0000
Received: from usr7157 by cold1.colservicios.com with local (Exim 4.82)
(envelope-from <usr7157@cold1.colservicios.com>)
id 1Xm8wU-0003Cn-Pr
for myownemail@yahoo.com; Wed, 05 Nov 2014 17:20:43 -0500
To: myownemail@yahoo.com
Subject: Re-POLICE INVITATION LETTER
X-PHP-Script: gertsaesp.com/promailer.php for 41.71.173.227
Reply-To: yomishogunle@npf.gov.ng
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary=618EA604DC4251EEF92A687A8558A8FC
Message-Id: <E1Xm8wU-0003Cn-Pr@cold1.colservicios.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 17:20:42 -0500
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - cold1.colservicios.com
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - yahoo.com
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [713 500] / [47 12]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - cold1.colservicios.com
X-Get-Message-Sender-Via: cold1.colservicios.com: authenticated_id: usr7157/only user confirmed/virtual account not confirmed
X-Source: /usr/bin/php
X-Source-Args: /usr/bin/php
X-Source-Dir: gertsaesp.com:/public_html
Content-Length: 1275799

I was relieved. Its some scammers from australia at it again. They almost got me. I felt sharing this might help a lot other people too. Thanks. have a great night. sleepy
Thanks for sharing bro...God bless u
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by mrborntodoit: 10:17am On Nov 06, 2014
It takes the same effort to do positive and negative things, why choose negativity ?

Online scammers are lazy minded people,they end up working very hard to deceive people of which they could have channeled their talent into something legal and still be better without the fear of the unknown .
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by omenka(m): 10:19am On Nov 06, 2014
Knowledge is indeed power. cool

But I don't know what a html editor is and what it does.
Not that much tech savvy.
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by Collynzo29: 10:25am On Nov 06, 2014
One thing is missing, how exactly were they trying to scam you?
I didn't see where they asked you for anything there.
You better get ready for your case o.
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by temitayoadegoke(m): 1:53pm On Nov 06, 2014
Collynzo29:
One thing is missing, how exactly were they trying to scam you?
I didn't see where they asked you for anything there.
You better get ready for your case o.

You don't know its a gradual thing, they definately won't ask for money in the first email. Well I replied the email just to play along and see more unfold.

This morning I showed the message to so people who further tried to convince me its real (My heart begin dey race again) so I call my lawyer and he told me he made some calls to verify and from the information he has it doesn't seem to be real.

I come begin dey fear again, then I decided to search online more, I definitely can't be the only one this prank has been played on. Then I found this

http://antifraudintl.org/showthread.php?90509-Abayomi-Ayogunle-Office-of-Inspector-General-of-Police

Exactly the same message that was sent to me.
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by temitayoadegoke(m): 2:10pm On Nov 06, 2014
Here is the response of an administrator at antifraudintl.org

"No, Tayolt, it's not real. It's a scam, and please do
NOT open the zip file and scan your computer for
viruses if you did open it."
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by temitayoadegoke(m): 7:44pm On Nov 06, 2014
temitayoadegoke:

Easier way to get it done, if you are using yahoo. just below the message you will see, Reply, Reply all, Forward and More. Click "more" and click Show full header, it will show you the full details of the origin of the message
omenka:
Knowledge is indeed power. cool
But I don't know what a html editor is and what it does.
Not that much tech savvy.
that's no problem, I discovered an easier way of doing it. Its quoted above.
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by Davland(m): 6:44pm On Nov 25, 2014
[quote author=temitayoadegoke post=27764721]This night as i was just tidying up stuffs on my pc and preparing to shutdown, I got an email, I was reluctant at first but i decided to check the last mail which actually ended up keeping me awake till this time. The title of the message made my gloomy eyes. Below is the message.

Nigerian Police Force
POLICE INVITATION LETTER

Dear Sir,

ABAYOMI AyoGUNLE
MONITORING UNIT.
Louis Edet House,
Area 11 Garki, Abuja
yomishogunle@npf.gov.n

i just opened my mail box & i saw these exact mail in my spam
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by hardywaltz(m): 7:23pm On Nov 25, 2014
The IP address 192.163.246.239 shows location as South 940 East, Provo, Utah, United States
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by temitayoadegoke(m): 11:09am On Nov 26, 2014
Don't take it serious brother, its a pure scam.

1 Like

Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by cchioke: 8:24pm On Jun 15, 2015
Just got this trash now in my office mail.
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by vedaxcool(m): 11:17am On Jun 17, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/2383733/anyone-received-letter-purportedly-npf#34831196

Another one again, Seun push this to the frontpage let people be aware
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by temitayoadegoke(m): 5:20am On Jul 31, 2015
If only this creativity put into these scams can be used for more productive and legal things, Nigeria would be a better place.
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by bolaino(m): 7:03am On Jul 31, 2015
barcanista:
grin grin grin
lol
Re: Beware, Scammers Now Use Nigeria Police Email Address. See How I Caught Them by kennyman2000(m): 7:08am On Jul 31, 2015
Police cant even send you a mail for such... na to call direct..

(1) (Reply)

Describe The Nigerian First Lady In Two Words / Ifeanyi Ikpoenyi Reacts To Kunle Afolayan’s Twitter Rant. (pics) / Don't Blackmail Us, Our Promises Were Mere Campaign Promises!.... APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.