Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,956 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out (2917 Views)

Benue Guber Race: Suswam Betrayed Me, Says Ortom / Saraki And Akume Lose Out On Senate Presidency As North-east Get Slot / Lamido, Dickson, Other Govs Shun Jonathan’s Campaign Inauguration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by abbakacici: 4:53am On Nov 09, 2014
After a three-hour meeting, President Goodluck Jonathan and the leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) conceded automatic tickets to 40 out of 72 PDP Senators to return to the Red Chamber.
The President and the PDP will however engage the governors of the party to allow experienced Senators to come back in 2015.
Jonathan said it pays the nation to have built a stronger legislature than starting afresh all the time.
But governors interested in picking their successors might not be given senatorial ticket.
With the development, some governors may lose out of the senatorial politics.
The governors are Sullivan Chime (Enugu West already conceded to Ekweremadu); Suswam (Benue North-East where Gemade may be retained); Liyel Imoke now to accept Victor Ndoma-Egba for Cross River Central instead of a new candidate); and Emmanuel Uduaghan (Delta South now conceded to the incumbent, James Manager).
According to a Senator from the South-East, the session at the Presidential Villa was a frank session with all the sides allowed to air their views.
The source said: “Led by the President of the Senate, Chief David Mark, about 60 of us attended the meeting at the Villa. The President was there with the National Chairman of the PDP, Adamu Muazu, and his Special Adviser on Political Affairs, Prof. Rufai Alkali.
“Every Senator was allowed to speak his or mind on the political developments in the state, the ward congresses and the challenges of re-election.
“We told the party that to emulate the practice in the US and other developed democracies where experience counts.
“Senators also asked the party not to allow too many outgoing and former governors because only a few of them are resourceful. They always come to the session to drink tea.
“After each Senator’s submission, the President of the Senate, Chief David Mark justified why experienced Senators should be retained.”
The source quoted Mark as saying: “The Senate has been very supportive and it has shown maturity on challenging issues facing the nation.
“You and the party should allow us to have our tickets back because we have not betrayed the party.”
The President said: “Left to me, it pays the nation for us to build the institution of legislature. The more they come back to the Senate, the better they are.
“I know it is not possible for all of you to come back, but if we have a reasonable percentage returning to the Senate, it is better for our democracy.”
Responding to a question, the source added: “There and then, we harmonized the list of experienced Senators who should be allowed to return.
“But with a caveat that the PDP leadership will engage governors to show understanding and allow those given automatic concessions to have their way. The party was directed to remind all aspirants that any ticket or slot is its prerogative.
“We also reached a consensus that governors interested in imposing their successors should forget senatorial tickets “To avoid rancour, there may not be senatorial primaries where concessions had been granted.
“The PDP leadership was mandated to go and consider the modalities of giving these Senators their return tickets. But certainly with the concession, the party has sent a subtle message to other aspirants.
Based on the harmonized list, those who may return are as follows: The President of the Senate, Chief David Mark; the Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu; Ahmed Makarfi, Nenadi Esther Usman, Smart Adeyemi, Atai Idoko-Ali, Barnabas Gemade, Barth Nnaji, Pius Akinyelure, Boluwaji Kunlere, Philip Aduda, Enyinnaya Abaribe; and Uche Chukwumerije.
The list includes the Senate Leader, Victor Ndoma-Egba; Bassey Otu, Benedict Ayade, Zainab Kure, Simon Ajibola, Adeseun Ayoade Ademola, Agboola Hosea Ayoola, Emmanuel Bwacha, Umar Abubakar Tutari and Suleiman Adokwe.
Also enjoying concession are Maccido Muhammad Ahmed, Abdullahi Danladi, Hassan Abdulmumin, Emmanuel Aguariavwodo, James Manager, Emmanuel Pualker, Heineken Lokpobri, Tukur Bello, Hassan Barata, Lidani Joshua, Alkali Saidu Ahmed, Andy Uba, Margery Okadigbo, Magnus Odion Ugbesia, Garba Gamawa Babayo and Adamu Gumba.
The session was, however, not without drama on how the party will handle some states like Benue, Akwa Ibom and Anambra states.
The source added: “When Senator Aloysius Etuk stood up from Akwa Ibom on his fate, there was a pin-drop silence and the party’s National Chairman was careful in saying: ‘We are looking into it.”
As for Senator Nurudeen Abatemi Usman, the party chairman also said: “We have not yet consider this district.”
Concerning the rivalry between Governor Gabriel Suswam and Chief Barnabas Gemade on Benue North-East, Muazu simply said: “We are looking into it to resolve all issues amicably.” But everyone agreed that Gemade should get the slot as a former National Chairman of the PDP.
Regarding the cold war between Senator Margery Okadigbo and ex-Minister of Aviation, Ms Stella Oduah, for Anambra North, it was directed that Okadigbo be allowed to retain her seat having just spent two years in the Upper Chamber.
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by Nobody: 5:56am On Nov 09, 2014
This is good for the party. My only sympathy here is just for two governors - God'swill (Akwa Ibom) and Chime (Enugu). Both will do well as Ministers especially for Works. May God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by IdomaLikita: 6:04am On Nov 09, 2014
So intra-party democracy is non-existent in Nigeria now abi?
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by Torkwase1(f): 6:13am On Nov 09, 2014
GodsMercy1:
This is good for the party. My only sympathy here is just for two governors - God'swill (Akwa Ibom) and Chime (Enugu). Both will do well as Ministers especially for Works. May God bless Nigeria.

My thoughts exactly about the ministers. Akpabio should be put to full use in building infrastructures, maybe we will stop seeing substandard and mediocre works in our land.
And are these people suggesting that senators are now there for life? What's all this talk about giving automatic tickets because they're experienced? Though I don't support ex governors who feel the senate is their birth right/ retirement benefit, I think others should be given the opportunity to legislate too.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by abbakacici: 6:23am On Nov 09, 2014
A good governor does necessary translated to good law maker because 12 out the 19 worst senators are former governors

1 Like

Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by dridowu: 6:23am On Nov 09, 2014
After looting of the state for 8years, then now think the next option now is to loot at the federal level.
9ja gofano lutin cinse 1904
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by BENZINA(m): 6:24am On Nov 09, 2014
It's still all democracy the important issue now is on avoiding intra-party crisis.

1 Like

Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by LordMecuzy(m): 6:36am On Nov 09, 2014
Bullshit!!!!!! Experienced Senators my Foot!!!!!
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by Gboliwe: 6:42am On Nov 09, 2014
Did any of you see where they talked about the fate of that my ugly and very wicked governor, T A Orji of Abia state?

This kind democracy is turning into something else
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by otokx(m): 7:42am On Nov 09, 2014
One day is one day.
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by ROCKJ1(m): 7:51am On Nov 09, 2014
Politics
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by donphilopus: 8:02am On Nov 09, 2014
Gboliwe:
Did any of you see where they talked about the fate of that my ugly and very wicked governor, T A Orji of Abia state?

This kind democracy is turning into something else

You know he's ugly and wicked. And you equally know the party he belongs, but still blindly supports them. If somebody from Akwa Ibom supports PDP, we'll know he has so many reasons for doing that. Not an Abian. Hypocrites!

1 Like

Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by gerald09(m): 8:17am On Nov 09, 2014
I want to know what happens to TA Orji of Abia State cos that dude needs that sit badly cos EFCC, ICPC, and all the God fathers he has stepped on are all waiting at d door to the end of his governorship rule. I can c action film about to be released. Orji uzo kalu will be rubbing his palms nw.
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by Gboliwe: 8:50am On Nov 09, 2014
donphilopus:

You know he's ugly and wicked. And you equally know the party he belongs, but still blindly supports them. If somebody from Akwa Ibom supports PDP, we'll know he has so many reasons for doing that. Not an Abian. Hypocrites!

Hehehehheehe, see this hypocrite pointing fingers.
SMH sha.
I have an attribute which is alien to people like you, its an attribute I got in my gene straight from the creator, th Almighty God. Its strange to you because you have wandered too far, you need to get back in line.
I deal with individuals not group or party if that is what you will understand better. So, in the party PDP, I don't cast them all away, I process them as individuals. Its easier for me to vote Ohakim out as a PDP member and vote in an opposition. If I were like you, I would foolishly vote in an aggrieved, wicked islamist fanatic like Buhari against a humble humane human like Jonathan all because of "group".

Sorry bro, we are on parallel, no meeting point. Do your thing.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by kokoA(m): 8:59am On Nov 09, 2014
They sit there sharing elective posts as if they are gods.. They've forgotten the final decision if for the people to make.

1 Like

Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by Ymodulus: 9:28am On Nov 09, 2014
GodsMercy1:

I don't know how you arrived at your conclusion. Gods will as minister I might agreed but chime I disagree. I disagree on both.

GodsWill development in AkwaIbom is not enough to predict his future at Nations capital as a Minister. In Fact it's a different game entirely, you can't just call the shots like a governor. The funds have to be approved and excetra.

Chime should not be included in the list.

Lastly, no of fence but in time past with the exception of Mallam Nadir El- Rufai, Former minister of F.C.T. I have not seen any Minister under the Umbrella of PDP tenure that changed anything or do anything worthy of recommendation in the area if works and infrastructure.

This goes to say PdP does not share such ideology. And so Gods will won't be a game changer at ministerial sit in Abuja..

If he was an APC party member I would have agree with you. But PDP no. Greed won't let change take course

1 Like

Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by hardywaltz(m): 9:30am On Nov 09, 2014
Every one is cashing in on this clueless and indecisive leader and are just using his desperation as a ladder to climb into various political portfolio.
Shebi Emeka Ihedioha who knew he will come 5th if primaries were held in Imo state also planned with his boss Tambuwal to extract endorsement from GEJ before commencing impeachment proceedings.

1 Like

Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 09, 2014
They keep saying they want to come back without saying what they have done to their didtricts or the nation. I hope the masses make pdp a super minority in the parliament next year and kick-out jona-flop.

1 Like

Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by Nobody: 9:47am On Nov 09, 2014
PDP and their wahala.

Absolutely none of my business!
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by NgeneUkwenu(f): 9:49am On Nov 09, 2014
This would be the Final Straw that May Break the useless party! Which governors are they talking about?

The ever powerful governors who calls the shots in their different states?

The governors who can wake up two days to the election and declare for a new party and Fiam everybody would Cow tow?

The same governors governors who have installed their men as delegates in the just concluded ward congresses??

The same governors jonathan is relying on for rigging?

The same governors who have successfully chosen their replacements?

The same governors who are like a secret cult group?

The fact is that when ogogoro drinker was accepting the poisoned chalice called Automatic Ticket he never thought about the multiplier effects! grin >: grin >:

Expect the governors to meet very very soon!

1 Like

Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by Ymodulus: 9:52am On Nov 09, 2014
barcanista:
They keep saying they want to come back without saying what they have done to their didtricts or the nation. I hope the masses make pdp a super minority in the parliament next year and kick-out jona-flop.

The problem is that the rigging machineries of the WANNA-COME-BACK UMBRELLA PARTY won't allow the unwavering decision of the masses to be known. PDP is really a thong that need to be uprooted
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by anonimi: 10:01am On Nov 09, 2014
barcanista:

And your hope is because those in your alternative Arewa People's Congress, APC have done soooo much 'to their districts or the nation'. Nor be so
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by Nobody: 10:15am On Nov 09, 2014
Ymodulus:

The problem is that the rigging machineries of the WANNA-COME-BACK UMBRELLA PARTY won't allow the unwavering decision of the masses to be known. PDP is really a thong that need to be uprooted
Correctly said, that is why we must urge Nigerians to come out in their numbers, vote and defend their vote. Kicking out pdp is a patriotic call.

1 Like

Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 09, 2014
anonimi:

And your hope is because those in your alternative Arewa People's Congress, APC have done soooo much 'to their districts or the nation'. Nor be so
What we are saying is that PDP led government have failed nigerians. Imagine position sharing inside som1's bedroom.

1 Like

Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by anonimi: 10:25am On Nov 09, 2014
barcanista:
What we are saying is that PDP led government have failed nigerians. Imagine position sharing inside som1's bedroom.

You obviously don't know what happens in a certain house on Bourdillon Rd, Ikoyi, Lagos STATE.
It may be useful for you to find out. Hopefully some of your grand illusions about the 'alternative' may be cleared.
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by size38: 10:36am On Nov 09, 2014
PDP has given democracy a different meaning in Nigeria oooo!. What kind of experience is the PDP talking about? The experience that has not helped us since 1999 till date. Chai! Diaris God ooooo!

1 Like

Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 09, 2014
The man in Bourdillion was a performer when he held sway.
He has always been a symbol of opposition and democracy since his early days in politics in 1992. He has refused to join the PDP when all odds are/were against him-including the seized funds belonging to d State's LGAs.
He remained as a symbol even when hs political senior Atiku left him. He supports performers.
Nigeria may be a one-party state save for him, Buhari and others.
I may have some issues with him, but if the pdp were endorsing credible people like this, Nigeria would av improved significantly and not retrogressed.
anonimi:

You obviously don't know what happens in a certain house on Bourdillon Rd, Ikoyi, Lagos STATE
It may be useful for you to find out. Hopefully some of your grand illusions about the 'alternative' may be cleared.
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by anonimi: 10:46am On Nov 09, 2014
barcanista:
The man in Bourdillion was a performer when he held sway.
He has always been a symbol of opposition and democracy since his early days in politics in 1992. He has refused to join the PDP when all odds are/were against him-including the seized funds belonging to d State's LGAs.
He remained as a symbol even when hs political senior Atiku left him. He supports performers.
Nigeria may be a one-party state save for him, Buhari and others.
I may have some issues with him, but if the pdp were endorsing credible people like this, Nigeria would av improved significantly and not retrogressed.

Why this your glossy narrative omit the FACT he sold out South west plus Edo state votes to PDP in the last presidential elections
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by omenka(m): 10:46am On Nov 09, 2014
anonimi:

You are so boring with your Arewa people's blablabla. Why don't you invent something else.

Here are people applauding the imminent retention of these good for nothing legislooters, thesame people that scream "we don't want old people, stop recycling politicians, give the youths a chance"!!

Hypocrites of life.
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 09, 2014
You guys keep coming with this. How did he sell it?
I will like to know because I still can't fathom how a right thinking man will hold such lines.
anonimi:

Why this your glossy narrative omit the FACT he sold out South west plus Edo state votes to PDP in the last presidential elections
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 09, 2014
omenka:
You are so boring with your Arewa people's blablabla. Why don't you invent something else.

Here are people applauding the imminent retention of these good for nothing legislooters, thesame people that scream "we don't want old people, stop recycling politicians, give the youths a chance"!!

Hypocrites of life.
Their hypocrisy is too hyper
Re: Senate Race: Suswam, Chime, Imoke, Other Govs May Lose Out by rooftech: 11:07am On Nov 09, 2014
GodsMercy1:
whats wrong with you akpabio said he wants to be a comedian after Office

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Seemingly Insurmountable Odds Against Jimi Agbaje / Why Was Nigeria Not An Advanced Nation At Independence? / Re: Omenka's View On FG Amnesty With The Jihadist..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.