Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,493 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 (3032 Views)

Ken Saro-Wiwa And 8 Other Ogonis Were Executed On 10th November, 1995 / Abacha, Maryam Abacha, Al-mustapha And Buhari In 1995 / Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by akereconfi: 2:35am On Nov 10, 2014
My lord,

We all stand before history. I am a man of peace, of ideas. Appalled by the denigrating poverty of my people who live on a richly endowed land, distressed by their political marginalization and economic strangulation, angered by the devastation of their land, their ultimate heritage, anxious to preserve their right to life and to a decent living, and determined to usher to this country as a whole a fair and just democratic system which protects everyone and every ethnic group and gives us all a valid claim to human civilization, I have devoted my intellectual and material resources, my very life, to a cause in which I have total belief and from which I cannot be blackmailed or intimidated. I have no doubt at all about the ultimate success of my cause, no matter the trials and tribulations which I and those who believe with me may encounter on our journey. Neither imprisonment nor death can stop our ultimate victory.

I repeat that we all stand before history. I and my colleagues are not the only ones on trial. Shell is here on trial and it is as well that it is represented by counsel said to be holding a watching brief. The Company has, indeed, ducked this particular trial, but its day will surely come and the lessons learnt here may prove useful to it for there is no doubt in my mind that the ecological war that the Company has waged in the Delta will be called to question sooner than later and the crimes of that war be duly punished. The crime of the Company's dirty wars against the Ogoni people will also be punished.

On trial also is the Nigerian nation, its present rulers and those who assist them. Any nation which can do to the weak and disadvantaged what the Nigerian nation has done to the Ogoni, loses a claim to independence and to freedom from outside influence. I am not one of those who shy away from protesting injustice and oppression, arguing that they are expected in a military regime. The military do not act alone. They are supported by a gaggle of politicians, lawyers, judges, academics and businessmen, all of them hiding under the claim that they are only doing their duty, men and women too afraid to wash their pants of urine.

We all stand on trial, my lord, for by our actions we have denigrated our Country and jeopardized the future of our children. As we subscribe to the sub-normal and accept double standards, as we lie and cheat openly, as we protect injustice and oppression, we empty our classrooms, denigrate our hospitals, fill our stomachs with hunger and elect to make ourselves the slaves of those who ascribe to higher standards, pursue the truth, and honour justice, freedom, and hard work. I predict that the scene here will be played and replayed by generations yet unborn. Some have already cast themselves in the role of villains, some are tragic victims, some still have a chance to redeem themselves. The choice is for each individual.

I predict that the denoument of the riddle of the Niger delta will soon come. The agenda is being set at this trial. Whether the peaceful ways I have favoured will prevail depends on what the oppressor decides, what signals it sends out to the waiting public.

In my innocence of the false charges I face Here, in my utter conviction, I call upon the Ogoni people, the peoples of the Niger delta, and the oppressed ethnic minorities of Nigeria to stand up now and fight fearlessly and peacefully for their rights. History is on their side. God is on their side. For the Holy Quran says in Sura 42, verse 41: "All those that fight when oppressed incur no guilt, but Allah shall punish the oppressor." Come the day.

Kenule Beeson Saro-Wiwa

Those where his last words

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by akereconfi: 2:36am On Nov 10, 2014
We will never forget

You can kill the messenger, but you can't kill the message

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by Nobody: 2:48am On Nov 10, 2014
Please what actually happened? I was a kid in 95 but his name was on the lips of my dad in the late 90s. I guess I've been so busy to really research about him lately sad
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by naijaking1: 2:59am On Nov 10, 2014
A definite reward always comes to saboteurs, that's why the history of Nigeria from Afonja in Illorin to Adaka Boro, to Ken Saro Wiwa remains the same: those people you betrayed your own people to would eventually kill you like a rabid dog!
We should always learn and teach our children history, so that their future will be safe. When you betray your brother to an outsider for whatever reason, watch out the outsider would eventually kill you, because now he knows that you have lost the protection of your own brother.
Lesson!

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by Nobody: 3:00am On Nov 10, 2014
IdiAmin1:
Please what actually happened? I was a kid in 95 but his name was on the lips of my dad in the late 90s. I guess I've been so busy to really research about him lately sad

He leading a campaign against Shell and Nigerian government led by Abacha!
They were looking for a way to waste to him.

There were protests and violence in Ogoni by the youths. Four Chiefs loyal to Abacha were killed where thy were sharing money.

Ken and all his lieutenants were arrested, tried by a military tribunal and were subsequently hanged.
The fight for the oils of the Niger Delta is still on!
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by tunwumi: 3:11am On Nov 10, 2014
How time flies.

Those are the real agitators not fraudster and bottom licking terrorist that rampage every where now.

It was a very sad day back then as my pparents were die hard fan of ken.

Ken will be remembered and will continue to be in memory.
They were executed by the maximum ruler ABACHA

What are we going to call this administration....MAXIMUM FRAUDSTER sorry ordinary stealing.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by nationwide1(m): 3:20am On Nov 10, 2014
Touching and heart renting! Days may be long and nights short, but one day, wrongs shall be ruled by rights.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by tunwumi: 3:26am On Nov 10, 2014
They were nine but we have 10 candles can u explain the riddles of the tenth?

akereconfi:
We will never forget

You can kill the messenger, but you can't kill the message
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by Rogers210(m): 3:28am On Nov 10, 2014
Ken Saro Wiwa was brilliant and visionary. A bold activist and a promising writer. His execution is definitely one of those reasons why ABACHA's name will never be redeemed. When you think of true HEROES of the NIGER/DELTA struggle, think KEN SARO WIWA, not Asari Dokubo and other unschooled charlatans.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by tit(f): 3:44am On Nov 10, 2014
And Buhari says: Abacha is not corrupt.

2 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by brownlord: 3:44am On Nov 10, 2014
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -- George Bernard Shaw

R.I.P Sir Ken S wiwa,

I hope Madame Undue process ( Oby ) and her gang of charlatans can learn from this great man

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by naijaking1: 4:00am On Nov 10, 2014
Rogers210:
Ken Saro Wiwa was brilliant and visionary. A bold activist and a promising writer. His execution is definitely one of those reasons why ABACHA's name will never be redeemed. When you think of true HEROES of the NIGER/DELTA struggle, think KEN SARO WIWA, not Asari Dokubo and other unschooled charlatans.

The families of those chiefs murdered by Wiwa's thugs while allegedly sharing money would agree with you though.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by lekhane(m): 4:12am On Nov 10, 2014
Times such as today when we remember our past heroes only make me sad, sad when I look at the present crop of youth we have today, we are all as corrupt as our leaders and no one is ready to stand for the truth, so one is ready to risk their lives just as Saro Wiwa and his gang did. God help us. God bless Nigeria
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by yousee(m): 6:30am On Nov 10, 2014
lekhane:
Times such as today when we remember our past heroes only make me sad, sad when I look at the present crop of youth we have today, we are all as corrupt as our leaders and no one is ready to stand for the truth, so one is ready to risk their lives just as Saro Wiwa and his gang did. God help us. God bless Nigeria
Ethnicity and bigotry has made us blind.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by arsetalks(m): 6:50am On Nov 10, 2014
Yet Abacha's son is allow to contest a political post in this nation. Can only happen in Nigeria.

Yet we have someone from the Delta as the president and the Delta and the whole nation is only worst for it.

Posterity won't forget any of us whether we do good or we do better.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by eagleeye2: 7:00am On Nov 10, 2014
Saro Wiwa, may his soul RIP, was one of those who sabotaged the Biafran effort at secession only for him and his people to suffer the very thing Ojukwu was fighting for.
GEJ, a Niger Deltan, is now the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. What has he really done for the People, nay the Niger Delta people?
History will always repeat itself until you learn the lesson.
Asari Dokubu, Governor Ekpemukporo (or something like that), and other Niger Delta (ex) warlords have betrayed their people, and I don't see any reason why the exploitation of their lands by the bucaneers won't continue.

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by drnoel: 7:08am On Nov 10, 2014
tit:

U can imagine. That's the person u guys want to vote come 2015. No way

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by Oment5: 7:20am On Nov 10, 2014
Good thing that Niger delta people remember the death of their icons.

When will Yo-robber remember the day Awo took rat poison with good faith? grin
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by Nobody: 7:25am On Nov 10, 2014
He wasn't.
Saro wiwa was executed after trial and due process convicted him.

How does that make Abacha corrupt?
tit:
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by pendy79: 7:34am On Nov 10, 2014
tit:

Goodluck Ebele JonaTAN is not only partying and dancing with same ABACHA'S SON but told him.to go with over N400bn of the same money you are calling him corrupt for.

Shell was told to pay $1.6billion to clean up the environment in the Niger Delta and Government of Nigeria was told to see to it that the monies was collected from SHELL and ensure the clean up was done by SHELL by the World Court in HAgUe.

Do you know under which government the two things happened? It was the government of a son of the soil, An Ijaw cousin of the OGONIS.

HE is not only dining and dancing with the son of the executioner, he has dropped all corruption charges aganist the same family and also refuse to implement the Hague's Court directive to fine SHELL.

Now can you see you lack the commonsense to put Buhari in your post.

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by akereconfi: 7:37am On Nov 10, 2014
GenBuhari:
He wasn't.
Saro wiwa was executed after[b] trial and due process convicted him.[/b]

How does that make Abacha corrupt?

Fam are you serious!
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by pendy79: 7:45am On Nov 10, 2014
Oment5:
Good thing that Niger delta people remember the death of their icons.

When will Yo-robber remember the day Awo took rat poison with good faith? grin

I guess it was your father the fake chemist at Onitsha headbridge that sold the poison right?

Why is mumuism and idiocy a generational and entire race syndrome in your lineage? Why is it so easy to know when an igbo man talks?

If Awolowo died at over 75years, how much more is a man celebrated in life and in death the way the sage was. I'm sure you're still living circa 1967-1970, there are many Awolowo's around today, just try the Biafra story again Kwashiokor, cannibalism and hunger will be the least of your tears this time around.

Moronic fool.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by Oment5: 8:08am On Nov 10, 2014
pendy79:

I guess it was your father the fake chemist at Onitsha headbridge that sold the poison right?

Why is mumuism and idiocy a generational and entire race syndrome in your lineage? Why is it so easy to know when an igbo man talks?

If Awolowo died at over 75years, how much more is a man celebrated in life and in death the way the sage was. I'm sure you're still living circa 1967-1970, there are many Awolowo's around today, just try the Biafra story again Kwashiokor, cannibalism and hunger will be the least of your tears this time around.

Moronic fool.
This Yo-robber cowgrin
Ist paragraph- my father is not a chemist grin

2nd paragraph- I don't understandgrin

3rd paragraph- so you mean to tell me that yo-robber people don't have Awo replacement? Kia..odikwa egwu dikwa very riskygrin
I thought tinubu is your awolowo? grin
I thought he is robbing lagos which is no man's land to liberate the sons of odua from syndrome of brown roof mentalitygrin
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by Nobody: 8:21am On Nov 10, 2014
There was a trial are suggesting otherwise?
akereconfi:

Fam are you serious!
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by brainpower(m): 8:30am On Nov 10, 2014
May his soul rest in peace. He is the only Ogoni man that they consistently say was good, every other person has some stain. But I don't see the hype about Abacha here, he was a dictator and such things should be expected of him but the blame should rightly go to Saro Wiwa's country men who betrayed the ogoni people. They are many and some of them are still living. I heard that Magnus Abe's father was one of the people that signed a document that led to the man's killing and if it is in anyway true, what is Magnus Abe doing as one of the leaders of ogoni? The answer is in the fact that the ogoni people are their own worst enemies. They are already divided in the fight to produce the governor of Rivers State. Their leaders are still the ones holding the UNEP report from being implemented by collecting bribes. They will keep crying foul until they fish out those leaders that sabotage them and make sure they don't lead them again.

And for those that are saying that Mohammed Abacha should suffer for his father's sins by not being elected, then Buhari should suffer for truncating Democracy. My opinion anyways.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by pendy79: 8:44am On Nov 10, 2014
Oment5:
This Yo-robber cowgrin
Ist paragraph- my father is not a chemist grin

2nd paragraph- I don't understandgrin

3rd paragraph- so you mean to tell me that yo-robber people don't have Awo replacement? Kia..odikwa egwu dikwa very riskygrin
I thought tinubu is your awolowo? grin
I thought he is robbing lagos which is no man's land to liberate the sons of odua from syndrome of brown roof mentalitygrin

Can you see how incoherent you're sounding, it is Tinubu, it is Awolowo. Schizophrenia, Parkinson's disease are terminal disease with no known cure yet you're using fake drugs to manage them, who doesn't know you're living on borrowed time?

Somebody created a thread to celebrate a HERO of his peoples struggle, you brought Awolowo's name into him, did Awolowo re-incarnate to kill Saro Wiwa ni? Lack of medulla matter in your oblongata is a disease that kills surely but slowly, it has eaten.deep into your marrow that you lack comprehension and intelligence.

Who doesn't know your father's unlicensed chemist shop was amongst the one closed down by the late prof when she was heading NAFDAC, HOPE your father has not joined you in N120 CD business you do along the Onitsha headbridge.

Those brown roof are relics of an ancient civilization just like the pyramid in Egypt, your forefathers were living in the bush like apes and monkeys when those brown roofs were being used in the west. Go on YouTube and watch the WAYS of the KOMA people that will give you a detailed account of how your forefathers lived.

You ordinary son of a worthless and sacrificial OSU, that escaped being used to appease the village gods because a white man was fortunate to enter your village on the D-day. Go ask the story, the obi of Onitsha is still there, he knows the story well.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 10, 2014
tit:
And gej dropped all corruption charges against Abacha's family
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by UnknownT: 10:16am On Nov 10, 2014
Good Morning Ken!
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa And The Ogoni 9 Executed On This Day In 1995 by Oment5: 10:47am On Nov 10, 2014
pendy79:

Can you see how incoherent you're sounding, it is Tinubu, it is Awolowo. Schizophrenia, Parkinson's disease are terminal disease with no known cure yet you're using fake drugs to manage them, who doesn't know you're living on borrowed time?

Somebody created a thread to celebrate a HERO of his peoples struggle, you brought Awolowo's name into him, did Awolowo re-incarnate to kill Saro Wiwa ni? Lack of medulla matter in your oblongata is a disease that kills surely but slowly, it has eaten.deep into your marrow that you lack comprehension and intelligence.

Who doesn't know your father's unlicensed chemist shop was amongst the one closed down by the late prof when she was heading NAFDAC, HOPE your father has not joined you in N120 CD business you do along the Onitsha headbridge.

Those brown roof are relics of an ancient civilization just like the pyramid in Egypt, your forefathers were living in the bush like apes and monkeys when those brown roofs were being used in the west. Go on YouTube and watch the WAYS of the KOMA people that will give you a detailed account of how your forefathers lived.

You ordinary son of a worthless and sacrificial OSU, that escaped being used to appease the village gods because a white man was fortunate to enter your village on the D-day. Go ask the story, the obi of Onitsha is still there, he knows the story well.
1st paragraph- I don't do drugs neither do I smoke, and we all live by borrowed time except you know the exact day you will kick the bucket either by Awo way or normal waygrin

2nd paragraph- I seriously read it for many times but don't understandgrin

3rd paragraph- I have told you before that my father is not a chemist, and the bridge head market is not meant for chemist as you were wrongly informed by your fellow Yo-robber lazy bloggers. It is a drug market were all the pharmaceutical industries have their various branches. They sell drugs in retail, wholesale and distributors. As I am typing this right now many Yo-robber oaf are in the market looking for codeine to export back to ekiti because that's what ekiti and osun touts are good at(sniffing raw codeine)grin

4th paragraph- so since the days of civilization, Yo-robber land is still stuck in ancient ruins? grin
That's the excuse you're going to give me for using rustic zinc? How many of your governors live in that dilapidated buildings to signify they still retain their civilization glory?
If it is not collective laziness, I don't know what else to call itgrin

5th paragraph- this is the demonstration of a frustrated mangrin

(1) (Reply)

A Call For Support Of Secession Movements In Africa: Support Biafra Republic / Why Do Northerners Go Scot Free For Their Crimes? / EXCLUSIVE | Aisha Buhari Sidelined As Mamman Daura Cabal Takes Over Aso Rock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.